• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Uh yeah, title says it all. I also live in NYC and they just adopted a rule of restaurants, bars and the likes to be closed for good effective today at 8pm... I don't know how I feel. It's very bittersweet to me since on one hand now there's a lack of income. Granted, i don't pay rent and still live with my parents but my father also works in the service industry so it's likely his store will close as well and we already try to make ends meet as it is. On the other hand, I get to just relax, maybe read, catch up on some anime I've been meaning to do so, but with the lack of income, I barely want to use electricity..

This whole virus thing sucks. It sucks for everybody and I think I can speak for everyone, I hope this all blows over soon. NYC just feels eerie now. It feels like a natural disaster hit. I remember when Hurricane Sandy dropped by. We lost power/hot water for a week straight. Nobody were on the streets.. it's an odd, uneasy feeling.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I've been struggling to get permanent work for over a year, and the fears of a coronavirus influenced recession is crushing me right now. I also live in NYC (Brooklyn), so my heart goes out to you.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I hear you mate, I self-quarantined myself and i'm also staying for the next 2 weeks at home, and everyone says: hey, just catch up on your reading, play your backlog, binge that show you've been meaning to watch.
But I just end up feeling guilty for not doing anything productive (like working), and end up not doing a lot of fun stuff.
It sucks.
I mean, I know I could still do productive stuff, like reading educational books, taking "online" classes, but I'm in this weird mood, idk...

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
exactly my situation, I am about to give the rest of March and April the middle finger and just go retreat to my relatives and fucking stay there til the world decides it will work like it should.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
File for unemployment, this is going to be a major thing with a lot of emergency benefits via legislation while we basically try to put the world on hold for months.

OP
OP
Illenium

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
File for unemployment, this is going to be a major thing with a lot of emergency benefits via legislation while we basically try to put the world on hold for months.

I haven't heard of many good things that come from unemployment and really should be used as a last resort(i know, this pretty much is last resort). Is it true, or are they just myths?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
yeah i was gonna say, ny apparently waived their waiting period, so you might be able to qualify right away to help you through the time when you cant work

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
I haven't heard of many good things that come from unemployment and really should be used as a last resort(i know, this pretty much is last resort). Is it true, or are they just myths?
What on earth??

No man, unemployment doesn't have any negative consequences. Use it, someone's been telling you lies.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017

How is making 60% of your salary for a few weeks while jobless, with zero strings attached a bad thing?

You log in once a week, click a few buttons and get money that you paid taxes into.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what unemployment is. This is a abnormal situation where the usual annoying requirements regarding providing proof you're actively looking for work and such aren't going to be in place. You should be applying for it any time you're let go, even if it's temporary.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
That's not what unemployment is. This is a abnormal situation where the usual annoying requirements regarding providing proof you're actively looking for work and such aren't going to be in place. You should be applying for it any time you're let go, even if it's temporary.

Union job I used to work would help you file for unemployment even if you were only laid off for a couple days.

Point is, use that shit OP

Dogzillaboot

Nov 12, 2017
Sacramento, California
The factory my brother worked at closed for 3 weeks back in December and he was able to sign up for unemployment no problem. It has zero down sides, just free money so you can survive. It won't be as much as you normally pull in most likely, but you have no reason to worry about applying and getting it for a few weeks.

OP
OP
Illenium

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Okay, working on filing a claim... problem is I've changed my name since I've made the accounts(before 2019). So now I'm struggling to get into the account

Every time I enter my SSN it'll tell me "you've used a different username in the past, use that one instead" sigh

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
I'm expecting the same here in the couple of days...CT here, haven't got the call or email yet but it's coming....

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If anything it's the opposite. Jobs in a lot of places get credits for hiring people on unemployment so they don't have a reason to look down on anyone that have been on it, especially in your job field.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
File for unemployment ASAP. There is no shame in getting government assistance ever. Even more so in this crazy situation.