• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Other examples include the ring and more Im blanking on

So first off I watched this stoned out of my mind so that's gotta be kept in mind but the beginning was horrifying and the acting by the lead rivaled toni collette in hereditary when her daughter got killed

The rest is just fucking weird (edit: weird as in uneven, not as in a good kind of weird)

The first shrooms trip was good and well shot and appropriately scary and I like how there was stuff breathing in it just like in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, at least someone on the crew had done hallucionegens before.

But it wasnt scary at all, I usually love horror movies that are subversive and arent trying to be straight up scary that a lot of people who wanted a typical horror story are put off by it. Stuff like mother! For example

But hereditary was equal parts family drama and really really effective horror

The opening with the slow reveals and vagueness and secret brothers all seemed like obvious cliche red flags

Casting Chidi as a psych dude in this just made me think of The Good Place. Also him going back in to take pictures of the book? Come on

Theres also no reason for Reuben to look like he does and I feel like it was just an excuse to go "hey dont these people look unnatural!"

Dani's actress was phenomenal, Will Pouter was annoying but I guess that was the point,same with the main BF for for being such a shitty boyfriend and a huge gas lighter

But I didn't like Dani's heel turn well at all, I liked it more when she had realized what she had done and became completely disgusted but then coming around and smiling just makes it seem like Aster wanted to show everyone haha actually the girlfriend is the crazy one haha

Oh also my theater was fucking terrible, laughing at pretty much everything including but not limiting to a penis and suicides. I regretted coming into this showing and was contemplating walking out tbh and just catching the rest on digital or come late to another showing

It was at least shot pretty beautifully and some of the transitions were superb

I felt like at times it was really trying to hammer you over the head with references to modern day festivals i.e. the drugs, the cheating etc.

Idk there's more ramblings but yeah, basically I was disappointed it wasn't as good as Hereditary, falsely marketed as a spooky movie, I had a shitty audience, its heel turn made me angry and not just at the character and more

Prolly gonna get a looooot of shit for this threar though, I swear I usually love indie/artsy horror movies but this experience was just. Eh. And im sad/mad that I didnt enjoy myself more

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also I get how the opening scene can actually be offensive bc it stigmatizes people with bipolar disorder, I just meant from the effectiveness of the reveals and acting and dread etc.

But I also hated how Dani was portrayed at the end too soooo

Apr 21, 2018
Midsommar took me a few days to have it sink in to start appreciating it. It is a haunting and horrifying experience. Those uncomfortable scenes were meant to be uncomfortable.
I did feel some of the scenes get a tad long. I'd probably give it an 8.5 (Hereditary being a 9)

That beginning is amazing though, yeah.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It took me a few days to have it sink in to start appreciating it. It is a haunting and horrifying experience. Those uncomfortable scenes were meant to be uncomfortable.
I did feel some of the scenes get a tad long. I'd probably give it an 8.5 (Hereditary being a 9)
I mean a lot of it was uncomfortable because people were laughing at it

And yes obvioualy some scenes in the movie were really effective at creating tension and dread and weird feelings I appreciate that, I don't appreciate the overall movie that much

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I disagree with the specific example, but the idea is interesting to explore.

I'd submit Us as a better example. The slow zoom out of the caged rabbits slowly revealing more of the area combined with the haunting music--so damn good and instantly engrossing. Then the rest of the movie happened.

I thought Midsommar was pretty great though and thought it did a fantastic job pulling me into its weird world beyond the opening scene. (Even if it started to drag a bit past the halfway point)

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also how Dani is the one phased most by the suicides and people disappearing that quote from before makes even less sense, but it also makes her decision to burn the barn down and then smile about it seemingly content with it for the rest of her life was disappointing

We finally have a character who sees through horror movie bullshit and she bought Pele's lines about community hook, line and sinker through one good dance off during a trip

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My theatre only laughed when the old lady came in and helped him move his hips in the barn. I actually think the middle and second half of the movie is more interesting than the first part. The movie really picks up for me after the first night at the camp.

Apr 21, 2018
I mean a lot of it was uncomfortable because people were laughing at it

And yes obvioualy some scenes in the movie were really effective at creating tension and dread and weird feelings I appreciate that, I don't appreciate the overall movie that much

Well I'm sorry you didn't like it. I don't think I can ever watch it again but I can also say I'll never forget the viewing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I disagree with the specific example, but the premise is interesting.

I'd submit Us: that caged rabbit opening, with the slow zoom and eerie music, was haunting and compelling. Then the rest of the movie happened
Yeah.

I liked the entire opening of that movie though, the boardwalk scene etc.

It nosedived hard after the flash forward.

My title was mainly just a conversation starter to talk about Midsommar though

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
My theatre only laughed when the old lady came in and helped him move his hips in the barn. I actually think the middle and second half of the movie is more interesting than the first part. The movie really picks up for me after the first night at the camp.
My theater laughed at fucking anything unusual and I think it played a decent part of me not enjoying it as much as I should have but yeah

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I dont ever find Horror movies scary so they better do something interesting. In that way, I enjoyed Midsommar a LOT more than Hereditary, which I mostly just found to be really more entertaining/funny than scary.

I wouldnt say Midsommar scared me either, but it was definitely more interesting as a story to me.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still don't understand the hype around Hereditary, and I can't understand the hype around Midsommar now. Both were OK movies, but I wasn't scared nor did I find the stories very interesting. They weren't bad movies, so I guess money's worth.

It's like the Director is trying to merge Horror with something else in both these movies and doesn't achieve either fully.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont ever find Horror movies scary so they better do something interesting. In that way, I enjoyed Midsommar a LOT more than Hereditary, which I mostly just found to be really more entertaining/funny than scary.

I wouldnt say Midsommar scared me either, but it was definitely more interesting as a story to me.

Midsommar is not scary, and I don't think its trying to be. I don't even consider the family to be "bad" or evil or anything like that. Its a movie about modernity merging with unflinching tradition, and getting a peek into what happens.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
The rest of the film doesn't do enough with the setup, I agree. Her family dying could've been a throwaway line when they were in the car for all the film used it.

That being said, the character dynamics expressed perfectly in the opening scene falling away to convenient writing and characters holding the idiot ball is the most unfortunate thing about Midsommar.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also something that was reaaaallly eerie and a complete coincidence was that my ex's name was the exact same and spelled the exact same way(just first name tho) and she had an immediate family member die unexpectedly in their house and I recognized a lot of her behaviors and why I was so sympathetic to them and thought the guys were even shittier than most probably. Also made me reflect a bit on that and main dude's fuckups

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That being said, the character dynamics expressed perfectly in the opening scene falling away to convenient writing and characters holding the idiot ball is the most unfortunate thing about Midsommar.
Yep

Some of the moments from the characters after they arrived in the camp felt completely out of place in a movie so beautiful with such a good soundtrack (+ great costuming etc.). Felt like a 90's straight to dvd slasher or something

Also I cant comment on the scenes being overly long, I felt some were a bit long but I thought that was due to the high

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
My theater laughed at the end of The Witch which was distracting but thankfully the movie was over.
Awful film. I'm really not one for horror and have to psych myself up to watch most of them but I could have fell asleep watching this had I been tired. Never seemed to have any real structure, just a meandering hobble to the end. Know that's an unpopular opinion but damn that film was rough.

Found Hereditary interesting and creepy but not necessarily hitting the heights people had for it. Yet to see Midsommar but interested in it. Still psyching myself up for Us which is in my library now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Awful film. I'm really not one for horror and have to psych myself up to watch most of them but I could have fell asleep watching this had I been tired. Never seemed to have any real structure, just a meandering hobble to the end.
I didn't like The VVitch much either but would hardly call it horrible either. The acting, atmosphere and setting was absurdly well done and it was completely unsettling in some parts especially when you watch it in a house in the woods like I stupidly did.

My biggest complaint I have about that movie is the scenes are TOO short, it's perfect at escalating tension but too many times it cut away too fast for my liking

I still don't understand the hype around Hereditary, and I can't understand the hype around Midsommar now. Both were OK movies, but I wasn't scared nor did I find the stories very interesting. They weren't bad movies, so I guess money's worth.

It's like the Director is trying to merge Horror with something else in both these movies and doesn't achieve either fully.
Hereditary was easily my favorite movie of last year and one of my favorites of all time. I didn't even have super high expectations for this one, just figured I'd enjoy it a lot.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I didn't like The VVitch much either but would hardly call it horrible either. The acting, atmosphere and setting was absurdly well done and it was completely unsettling in some parts especially when you watch it in a house in the woods like I stupidly did.

My biggest complaint I have about that movie is the scenes are TOO short, it's perfect at escalating tension but too many times it cut away too fast for my liking
Agree with the second paragraph, your largest complaint. It completely broke the atmosphere and pacing for me, as it never seemed to capitalise on or justify it. I'm not suggesting you need to be blatant with your horror or evil (I actively prefer Alien's approach) but the way it was handled in the Witch just blunted further tense moments in the film for me. Which led to that feeling of this slow awkward stumble to the end as without it, it's all quite dull.

I genuinely think it fell short in almost all aspects as a result, aside from the acting which - as you say - was solid.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also I think I was a little bit disappointed that there was nothing supernatural about it but I get that the buildings and paintings and flowers and copying motions with the leaders stuff were so impressive that it felt otherworldly at times. I feel like that's a really big compliment actually so I'll give it props for that.

But other modern 'horror' movies with polarizing reactions and similar "i didn't get why it's so praised" stuff I fucking love was It Comes At Night, The Invitation (semi-similar setup and it is cheesier and not as well made from a technical point of view I enjoyed it more), The Blackcoat's Daughter, as previously mentioned mother!, i enjoyed The VVitch more than most, and idk if they count but Annhiliation and The Visit are also on the list etc.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Agree with the second paragraph, your largest complaint. It completely broke the atmosphere and pacing for me, as it never seemed to capitalise on or justify it. I'm not suggesting you need to be blatant with your horror or evil (I actively prefer Alien's approach) but the way it was handled in the Witch just blunted further tense moments in the film for me. Which led to that feeling of this slow awkward stumble to the end as without it, it's all quite dull.

I genuinely think it fell short in almost all aspects as a result, aside from the acting which - as you say - was solid.
Yeah nicely put actually, I haven't seen someone echo the same criticisms I have about it so perfectly written out lol

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Hereditary spooked me. I'm worried this will. I might pass
It isn't really remotely scary or that type of film for anyone I don't think. Unsettling and unnatural, yes, but really nothing that compares to the worst of Hereditary or any horror movie that tries to be actively scary as one of its main goals

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Also between the opening, the reaction to shitty bf cheating on her and her regretting burning down the temple (emphasis on the opening especially) and Toni Collete's oscar robbed performance of her mourning her daughter, Ari Aster is some sick god of filming reactions to unimaginable tragedy

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
What? The entire movie is her dealing with her parents death. It's something that comes up constantly.

Her guilt of not being able to help, not being responsible, being a burden are all thing the actress emotes well, but the story doesn't handle deftly in my opinion. Especially when the film opens up to other characters, and her and the British couple are the only ones going "yo, what the fuck?" to all the insane things that unfolds before them. after the cycle ritual scene, the film begins to drag as it tries to reconnect to the emotional core that was promised in the first 15 minutes, because it rarely uses that trauma to drive any of the plot, nor as an inference on the main character's decision making. The film relies more on her significant other being a Bad Boyfriend (being patronizing, forgetting her birthday, focusing more on his decision to randomly do his thesis on this cult which doubles as a prop for him to both want to stay, and also push her further away) and ol' boy on his pilgrimage being "there for her"/manipulative. Those are the main engines of the plot, one of which is tangential at best, and the other completely disconnected from the opening scene - and ultimately - the main character's trauma. So the final thematic gesture of communal empathy - and sharing pain/grief in order to feel a sense of belonging - seems forced onto her, rather than a destination she comes to on her own organically, which all makes it difficult for me to buy her Rebirth by fire.

The opening scene was a masterclass in tension: perfectly paced and acted, setting up the uncomfortable position for this setting to take off - and the rest of the film doesn't follow that example as well as it could.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know, I also laughed quite a bit during the movie. I personally found many parts unintentionally funny. The movie has an awkward pace and some performances were goofy.

It's a movie that takes itself way too seriously. In the end, it's a slasher film, an overly predictable one at that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I don't know, I also laughed quite a bit during the movie. I personally found many parts unintentionally funny. The movie has an awkward pace and some performances were goofy.

It's a movie that takes itself way too seriously. In the end, it's a slasher film, an overly predictable one at that.
Based on the marketing at least it seems super self aware at how silly it is so idk

Jangowuzhere

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Based on the marketing at least it seems super self aware at how silly it is so idk
I didn't see any marketing material for the movie before seeing it. I came into the movie completely blind.

I was VERY disappointed in the film. I loved the opening and methodical pace. The film presents a very deep subject with loss and grief and what actually "family" is to a person. However, people started getting killed left and right, and it devolved into complete stupidity. I didn't think there was going to be any murder at all in this movie, I didn't think it would be that cliche, silly, and predictable.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, it was quite intentionally funny, because you're supposed to be uncomfortable and off balance throughout. The entire movie is full of juxtapositions and awkwardness that make you constantly uncomfortable.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to say that I absolutely loved this movie.
Ari Aster has the ability to completely engross me for days after watching.
Midsommar feels like i had the most vivid nightmare/bad trip and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since last week.

It's an insane masterpiece IMO.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. First part of the movie has the biggest shocks but the rest was far more connective and affecting. It sort of takes the angle that Get Out did, but more specifically to women. Almost everything bad that happens is enabled by gaslighting.

Also, the movie has some fantastic humor, but it's also a movie that lends itself to wildly different interpretations based on your, um, "background". Had a row of Bros sympathetically reacting to Dani being a "bitch" even though her jackass bf was the one creating these shitty situations. My sister said she heard an argument break out when the movie ended in her theater because some boyfriend was all "but did her boyfriend really do anything that bad?"

I am positive the theatre laughed several times for completely different reasons.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I didn't see any marketing material for the movie before seeing it. I came into the movie completely blind.

I was VERY disappointed in the film. I loved the opening and methodical pace. The film presents a very deep subject with loss and grief and what actually "family" is to a person. However, people started getting killed left and right, and it devolved into complete stupidity. I didn't think there was going to be any murder at all in this movie, I didn't think it would be that cliche, silly, and predictable.
I wish the british couple hadnt been killed because if they didn't then all of the deaths would have been "justified" under the guise of the cult.

Mark for pissing on the ancestral tree, Josh for disobeying them directly and trying to take pictures of their holy book and Christian for being the May Queen's 1 free pick.

They just kill the British couple bc they're unrepentantly evil and that was a little more predictable and a little less interesting.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Nah. First part of the movie has the biggest shocks but the rest was far more connective and affecting. It sort of takes the angle that Get Out did, but more specifically to women. Almost everything bad that happens is enabled by gaslighting.

Also, the movie has some fantastic humor, but it's also a movie that lends itself to wildly different interpretations based on your, um, "background". Had a row of Bros sympathetically reacting to Dani being a "bitch" even though her jackass bf was the one creating these shitty situations. My sister said she heard an argument break out when the movie ended in her theater because some boyfriend was all "but did her boyfriend really do anything that bad?"

I am positive the theatre laughed several times for completely different reasons.
Agreed, the gaslighting was a huge problem and the bf was a complete asshole, but that was more prevalent in the first half with him turning the argument about the surprise sweden visit around to being her fault etc. I understand and sympathize with Dani, I just thought the first part was mostly better. After the first trip wears off the film gets worse I think.

And yes people definitely laughed at the wrong things (not from uncomfortable-ness basically) and some definitely thought Dani was being an overly emotional bitch in my theater

Oct 27, 2017
I've still not processed it, I don't know if I like it or not. Being Swedish made this movie weird to be honest and the "Ättestupa" section of the movie had me and my friend laughing quite a lot. But it's shot really beautifully and the last shot is haunting.

ObbyDent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
If you think the amazing reveal of the devil at the end of VVitch is "stumbling" then you literally have no idea what you're talking about.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Don't think it's meant to be an out an out horror, more about relationships, family, break ups. The whole thing with her smiling at the end, isn't a heel turn to me, its more like she finally feels loved, has a home, a family. I mean she is called sister by the girls in the commune, pelle treated her far better than Christian etc.

It's definitely not a mainstream horror film which it was kind of marketed as but the viewing experience certainly is a trip and I'm glad I saw it (though I'm not sure I'd ever rewatch it)

Jangowuzhere

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish the british couple hadnt been killed because if they didn't then all of the deaths would have been "justified" under the guise of the cult.

Mark for pissing on the ancestral tree, Josh for disobeying them directly and trying to take pictures of their holy book and Christian for being the May Queen's 1 free pick.

They just kill the British couple bc they're unrepentantly evil and that was a little more predictable and a little less interesting.
Right, and if the cult was so firm in their beliefs, then they shouldn't have to LIE to the people about the fates of their friends. They should just be straight up honest with them. "Hey, your friend pissed on our ancestral tree and your other companion completely betrayed our deepest level of trust, the sentence for them is death." Instead, the cult kills everyone in a sneaky underhanded way, so the commune just turns into a cliche and becomes completely unbelievable. The film just gets more and more absurd the deeper you go, but not in a cool twisty way, just silly.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The beginning was definitely the creepiest part, and the most engrossing portion of the movie overall.

I loved the premise of an unsettling pagan festival in bright daylight. Unfortunately I don't think the movie lived up to its potential at all. The whole thing is just a fucked up tragedy with a muddled message.

Dani's family was stolen from her by mental illness. Dani's neediness pushed her boyfriend Christian away. Christian's emotional distance combined with Dani's grief led her to victim blame him for getting reeled into the cult's demented sex ritual (under chemical coercion, no less).

Are we supposed to identify with Dani when she grins about Christian's torturous death by immolation? He was kind of a jerk, but he definitely didn't deserve to die for not remembering Dani's birthday and how long they were together. He had shit on his mind, what with the weird cult stuff and his thesis anxieties. If Christian was really an asshole he would have noped out of the relationship right after Dani's sister's murder-suicide.

And what's the deal with Christian's friends and the cult's other ill-fated guests? They were there, gesturing toward meaningful or halfway interesting subplots, until suddenly they weren't. If their only function was to disappear, the movie wasted its time on them. I'm very curious to see a longer cut, because I believe that Midsommar would benefit from more fleshed out storylines with the side characters, and perhaps several on-screen deaths.

I guess that's my main takeaway. The movie could have worked really well with a better cut that clarified its themes and gave substance to the side characters. Oh, and the whole 22(ish) hours of daylight thing should have been exploited for more than a single gross suicide ritual, and a general sense of unease. I was expecting to see all kinds of weirdness go down in broad daylight.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The beginning was definitely the creepiest part, and the most engrossing portion of the movie overall.

I loved the premise of an unsettling pagan festival in bright daylight. Unfortunately I don't think the movie lived up to its potential at all. The whole thing is just a fucked up tragedy with a muddled message.

Dani's family was stolen from her by mental illness. Dani's neediness pushed her boyfriend Christian away. Christian's emotional distance combined with Dani's grief led her to victim blame him for getting reeled into the cult's demented sex ritual (under chemical coercion, no less).

Are we supposed to identify with Dani when she grins about Christian's torturous death by immolation? He was kind of a jerk, but he definitely didn't deserve to die for not remembering Dani's birthday and how long they were together. He had shit on his mind, what with the weird cult stuff and his thesis anxieties. If Christian was really an asshole he would have noped out of the relationship right after Dani's sister's murder-suicide.

And what's the deal with Christian's friends and the cult's other ill-fated guests? They were there, gesturing toward meaningful or halfway interesting subplots, until suddenly they weren't. If their only function was to disappear, the movie wasted its time on them. I'm very curious to see a longer cut, because I felt that Midsommar would have benefit from more fleshed out storylines with the side characters, and perhaps several on-screen deaths.

I guess that's my main takeaway. The movie could have worked really well with a better cut that clarified its themes and gave substance to the side characters. Oh, and the whole 22(ish) hours of daylight thing should have been exploited for more than a single gross suicide ritual, and a general sense of unease. I was expecting to see all kinds of weirdness go down in broad daylight.
Yeah after she woke up from the first trip and it was daylight I thought maybe the rest of the movie would only be shot during the day but instead we get typical guy sneaks out at night scene and is killed

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah after she woke up from the first trip and it was daylight I thought maybe the rest of the movie would only be shot during the day but instead we get typical guy sneaks out at night scene and is killed
Yeah that felt out of place to say the least. I was thinking "am I really watching a 'guy sneaks out at night' scene in a movie all about daylight horrors?"

I would have been fine with never seeing the night at all once the gang went to Sweden.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
My theatre laughed at the orgy scene, but it felt more at how bizarre it was. It's not like they didn't hint at it, it was more the execution. It also didn't help we'd been shown so much scary weird shit at this point we were numbed by it all.

For the record I love Hereditary. That movie is a master class in grief and dread build up.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
My theater laughter at the orgy scene, but it felt more at how bizarre it was. It's not like they didn't hint at it, it was more the execution. It also didn't help we'd been shown so much scary weird shit at this point we were numbed by it all.

For the record I love Hereditary. That movie is a master class in grief and dread build up.
I should have seen spidey and just gone to midsommar next week in a hopefully empty theater

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
Saw it last night in a mostly empty theater (like 7 people in the whole place) and I'm REALLY glad I waited to see it. So many scenes that would have gotten a bunch of laughter or jokes from the peanut gallery.

The friend I went to see it with convinced himself that Pelle had something to do with the death's of Dani's family - interesting theory. Whether or not he outright murdered them, they drop clues that maybe it was planned to get her to join the cult. Like he says his parents died in a fire and that right after it happened he was brought into the group, or the way he is super happy that she's coming when everyone else was bummed out by it, or the line when Christian is doing the research interview where the guy says that to prevent too much genetic mixing they have to bring in outsiders for breeding... plus the fact that bipolar disorder doesn't cause people to annihilate their family like that. It's an interesting theory but I'm not sure I totally buy it. Cool to think about though.

I agree with you OP that the segment before the title card was by far the most effective horror scene in the movie. Loved the whole thing - it was extremely uncomfortable throughout, but nothing lived up to that opening. I haven't seen Hereditary yet but I'm really looking forward to it now that I saw Midsommar.

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
I've seen it twice and I loved it even more the second time. This movie isn't really a horror film, i definitely get more of a fucked up and violent fairy tale vibe from it now, that looks absolutely amazing, and has some incredible performances with characters I really cared about by the end