• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where do you play XGS/Microsoft games on PC?

• Mostly on Steam

Votes: 360 35.3%
  • Mostly on Xbox Game Pass

Votes: 518 50.8%
  • A somewhat equal mix of both

Votes: 71 7.0%
  • I don't play XGS games

Votes: 64 6.3%
  • Mostly buy on the Microsoft Store

Votes: 7 0.7%

• Total voters

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
All on gamepass. I would even buy the games there if they werent on gamepass instead of steam. Not because its better (it isnt), but i came from xbox so i value xbox achievements, and i havent had any issues with the app so.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
My Steam purchases overall have slumped like a stone in the last couple of years. I think I only bought... Moose Life, Half-Life Alyx and Balder's Gate there last year.

I guess I'm already subbed to Game Pass Ultimate anyway and I play a lot of games Play Anywhere between two rooms in my house so it just kinda makes sense that most of my PC gaming is via Game Pass now.

I think if I didn't already have a sub then I might've carried on buying some of them on Steam (for a bit at least) but, for right now, there's no point in me buying games that I already have access to. I'm not paying for them twice.

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
Prefer Steam, since the Steam version of the games are moddable and don't have their files encrypted.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I buy MS stuff I like on Steam, because they have pretty good regional pricing where I live and I want to support that (and I get the bonus of faster download speeds, a more reliable store backend, and no hard drive hijinks). Stuff I only kinda, sorta want I just play on XGPU or the XSX, I basically use XGP as a rental service.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Little bit off-topic, but I played SoT on Steam and I continued getting XBL achievements. Is this the case with every other (non-mp/non-online) game from Xbox Games Studios or just SoT? Something like MCC or State of Decay 2 as an example.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't bought any MS game but if I do I would get them on Steam. Not interested in the MS Store.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Little bit off-topic, but I played SoT on Steam and I continued getting XBL achievements. Is this the case with every other (non-mp/non-online) game from Xbox Games Studios or just SoT? Take something like MCC or State of Decay 2 as an example.

It varies per game, I believe. For most XGS titles it should work. But Forza Horizon 4 doesn't have cross-progression for example.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I got MCC on Steam because I wanted to own that and having it available to me whenever would be cheaper than subbing to GP. Plus, the file delivery system on Microsoft's end is a trash fire. Most other games -- ones that I expect to play once or just a little bit of -- I've ventured into Game Pass for. Some of those I've had to fiddle with the MS App Store more than I ended up playing them. Fun.

OP
OP
SuikerBrood

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Interesting how the poll results skew towards Game Pass, while the answers skew towards Steam.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Steam only.
No reason to buy anything in MS Store if it can be bought on Steam.
Zero interest in Gamepass or any other subscription type service still. Not nearly enough good games there to justify it.
Having almost all Bethesda and EA Access Games is not good enough? lol OK
+ Final Fantasy + Yakuza + TheWitcher + Resident Evil + Alien Isolation + Control...

Sure not all that is on PC but...

Not good enough? I'm 100% sure this sevice will never be good enough to you

Jul 1, 2020
Mostly on Game Pass with 1 exception. I had to buy Master Chief Collection on Steam because it would not install from Game Pass despite having enough space.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
"Mostly on Steam" implies that I use game pass or the MS store at all lol

ALWAYS on Steam.

I'm simply not interested in the idea of a "Netflix but games". It doesn't matter how much of a "good deal" it is. I just don't want it

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
I'd love to buy more of their games on Steam but since MS regional pricing is awful I mostly ignore them. I buy these Gamepass deals but don't play much there.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I'll ever buy another Xbox console, so Steam for me. All I need is Gears 4 and Rare Replay to make it over and that's it.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
If I know I'll want to play a game years down the line I'll just buy it, yeah. On steam rather than MS, because that's fewer headaches.

I bought the AoE games for example. I'll probably play those (or, rather, 2) forever, and I don't want that to be contingent on an ongoing subscription. Everything else I'm just playing via game pass.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox Play Anywhere is also a big incentive if one also owns an Xbox console.
I would say that there's zero incentive to own an Xbox console if you have a gaming PC but that might be just me.

Having almost all Bethesda and EA Access Games is not good enough? lol OK
+ Final Fantasy + Yakuza + TheWitcher + Resident Evil + Alien Isolation + Control...

Sure not all that is on PC but...

Not good enough? I'm 100% sure this sevice will never be good enough to you
Yeah, precisely not good enough.
I already own all good games from Bethesda and EA and others.
They release new good ones once per couple of years at best.
I buy maybe five AAA titles per year of which maybe two or three are on Game Pass.
It make zero sense financially and I see zero sense in paying for a subscription when getting the same games in Steam is just cheaper.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
If it's on GamePass there is no need for me to buy the game anywhere else, but I have bought one game to support the dev and that was World of Horror.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Halo MCC on steam but the rest through gamepass.

If it's a one and done game where I'm just going to play through the story and then uninstall, then I just do Game Pass. If it's a game that I'm going to actually play for a while, and the Windows Store issues are actually getting in the way of the experience, then I buy on Steam.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer to own games so I get them on Steam. I did play Forza Horizon 4 when I took out a trial subscription but I'm looking to get that on Steam eventually now, probably wait for a sale though.

Don't like losing access to things when a subscription lapses.

Oct 25, 2017
We would probably get more accurate results after 2022 when most of the Gold conversion deals expire. I have GP until May 2022 because of that, but I'm mostly grudgingly using it. I paid 85€ for two years of this terrible service so I might as well get some value out of it. There is 0 chance of me paying for more of it, it sucks so much and I wish I could get a refund for the rest of it.

On the other hand, Microsoft has absolutely terrible pricing for their games in Europe. They're charging 70€ per game while every other publisher is still charging 60€. It feels like they're forcing game pass on us. I would love to buy the games on Steam but at the moment I'm voting "I don't play XGS games" because there won't be any coming out before May 2022 that I want to play and I refuse to pay 70€ for a standard edition of a game.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a fan of subscription services and Gamepass sounds super ham-fisted on PC.

I cherry pick the keepers like Ori and just buy them on Steam.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
I use Game Pass and I favour the Microsoft Store over any other store because of Play Anywhere.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I have never used gamepass so it's all on steam on sale. I recently bought both ori games for a good price. Xbox Studios games don't usually interest me but I know I will like the Ori games.

I'm open to gamepass on pc when a bunch of games come out that interest me though like Avowed, Elder Scrolls 6, Starfield, etc come out. I probably won't have a constant subscription though and may just buy the games on super discount depending on the game.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Only through Steam. If they ever bring their Game Pass PC up to par I'll consider it.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Mix of both. My steam library is already large, I bought titanfall ( even though a rogue hacker is ruining the game atm) and I have a under a year of gamepass left. I just plan on playing as much as I can in the year and when it's over, I may buy some of the games I want, but I'll keep subbing after it expires sometime.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only game from that list I'd be interested in is Flight Simulator and I'll get it on steam after I upgrade my graphics card. Not very interested in moving away from Steam.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I usually buy a sub of Gamepass if I want to try out a game before buying or if I want to play a co-op game for a month or so with a friend but don't want to spend the full price.

Stallion Free

Oct 29, 2017
Buying directly from Steam. I do still have a couple exclusives on the Xbox Windows Store (FH3, Gears 4), but switched over to Steam versions the second MS started supporting it again.

It's been really fantastic too. I feel like their in-game integration is minimal and inoffensive and it's really nice having them support Steam features like achievements.

Oct 27, 2017
Got Game Pass Ultimate in the big E3 £1/$1 conversion trick that everyone was doing back at that E3, so I'm using it for now. But tbh due to a mix of preferring ownership + not being a fan of how the MS store/Xbox apps work (how stuff installs / folder control / space issues even after you delete etc) — I do still buy stuff from Steam & EGS and when my GPU expires I won't be renewing it.

Last edited:

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I still have 2 years left on a 3 year prepaid GPU subscription, and I will still buy on Steam to avoid the Microsoft Store and UWP bullshit.

Oct 31, 2017
I tried Gamepass for three months when it was one buck and it taught me a valuable lesson on how important it is to avoid software cancer on your PC.
It took me WAY more work than it should have to actually remove from my HD some of the stuff I installed in the meantime.

I bought something on Steam and I'd do it more often if Microsoft base prices weren't so fucking ridiculous by default.

Still wondering if MS will ever pull an "EA" and give people the option to subscribe their service through Steam.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
If/when Forza Motorsport 8 launches on Steam the same day as it does on PC, I'll buy it.

Feb 15, 2019
I only have 3 XGS games and all 3 are on Steam. It helps that 2/3 are cheap games in Ori 1 and 2 so. Third one is Flight Simulator.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Use the windows store and also buy them on Steam when they are cheap