• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I was confused at the hoopla over the PS5 logo reveal. Now I get why. At least it was something...

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Yeah, but it then forces the developer to tick a box in that regard - and to question whether they should lean into DS5 functionality or leave things open to DS4 compatibility. It raises the option, which could encourage devs - or make them feel obliged to - not use DS5 features to any great extent. Which winds up neutering the changes. Sony may not want to have devs worrying about whether to lean in on DS5-exclusive functionality.

If games 'naturally' can support DS4, then for sure, that would be great. But I think there may be questions of incentive in how that's managed.
Your pipedream scenarios ignore the reality that >95% of games will be multiplatform and cannot be designed around DS5 exclusive features. So not supporting DS4 would be a massive dick move by Sony.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
With either DS4 or Xbone working with phones, tablets and stream boxes like Apple TV and Shield, I got a lot of utility out of this gen. I hope manufacturers throw us a bone as the boxes themselves will likely be extremely expensive next gen. Mind you, I can count the number of times I have done couch coop this gen so having multiple controllers is not a huge use case for me anymore.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
How can Sony guarantee a DS4 will work on any PS5 game, if - for example - a game uses adaptive triggers as a kind of multi-button input?

The answer is, they can't, in the general case. Maybe they could let you use a DS4 'at your own risk', depending on how a game uses the controller, but that itself could lead to frustration for users.

Sony just needs to handle this the same way they did with the transition from PS1 to PS2.

PS2 could use PS1 controllers to play PS1 games, along with any PS2 games that did not need the specific functionality of the DualShock 2 (pressure sensitive buttons).

Likewise, PS1 could use PS2 DualShock 2 controllers to play PS1 games, but they couldn't use the pressure sensitivity of the buttons.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Your pipedream scenarios ignore the reality that >95% of games will be multiplatform and cannot be designed around DS5 exclusive features. So not supporting DS4 would be a massive dick move by Sony.

Of course multiplat games can't use DS5 specific features in a fundamental way.

But if Sony says, as MS has, 'you can use your DS4 to play DS5 games!', in an unqualified way like that, then even exclusive developers will basically throw their hands up and limit themselves in how DS5 features are used. That's not a pipedream scenario, that's just reality. If I was a developer, even working on PS5 only, and the platform holder said that, I would only use the new controller for disposable frills given the expectation that had been set publicly. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure Sony wants that.

They could find a way to communicate compatibility, where possible, more carefully, but it will have to be more carefully than MS has, unless they want to neuter the things they've spent time working on in all cases, and not just for multiplats etc. That's all I'm saying.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
No confirmation (although I'm swear I read it in one of the Wired articles somewhere?) but yeah DS4 will be compatible with PS5, I'd put my house on it.

Also, for what it's worth I've had more issues with my Xbox One controllers this Gen than I've had with my DS4's.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
No confirmation far as I know but they have to right, it would be extremely stupid if they won't.
Not if they feature something new like the Sixaxis and Dualshock 4 did over their last generation. Seriously this whole backward and forward compatibility stuff is going some places I don't see healthy for progress. If they want to implement some mandatory new tech so be it.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I thought they confirmed that already.

I think they will. But honestly I want a controller with better battery life.

Dec 31, 2017
Not if they feature something new like the Sixaxis and Dualshock 4 did over their last generation. Seriously this whole backward and forward compatibility stuff is going some places I don't see healthy for progress. If they want to implement some mandatory new tech so be it.
Healthy for progress, really? No amount of haptic feedback or whatever it is you think is considered progress should hinder people from using their previous gen controllers on new consoles. It's up to developers to implement it or not, and everyone buying a new console gets a new controller anyway so the incentive is always there. However, controllers have reached their peak, and sorry to say, but whatever gimmick companies keep adding, most gamers don't care as it doesn't add anything meaningful to the experience.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think with PSVR being confirmed to be supported and the bolt on back buttons there's enough there to think PS5 will be DS4 compatible.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
idk why they have to

Don't buy 4 controllers then son damn

Yeah which idiot would buy 4 controllers, such a waste of money

3UpSU6h_d.jpg

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Of course multiplat games can't use DS5 specific features in a fundamental way.

But if Sony says, as MS has, 'you can use your DS4 to play DS5 games!', in an unqualified way like that, then even exclusive developers will basically throw their hands up and limit themselves in how DS5 features are used. That's not a pipedream scenario, that's just reality. If I was a developer, even working on PS5 only, and the platform holder said that, I would only use the new controller for disposable frills given the expectation that had been set publicly. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure Sony wants that.
So in your reality, in the best case scenario, were Sony does not allow DS4 to be compatible with PS5, only a fraction of a fraction of PS5 games are going to use DS5 features in essential way anyway.
Is it worth it then to force users to buy controllers again if they need multiple, when they have spare DS4s?

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Not confirmed but I think they will. Sony are going to do everything they can to keep their PS4 from moving away.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Any reason why 360 controllers won't be usable on Series X, too? They have the same amount of buttons as X1 controllers, right?
The only reason I could think of would be bandwidth and latency improvements that are in the xbox one controller vs the 360 controller. Here is a source for the change. I don't know how significant it is but it seems like it could be the reason.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Microsoft decisions have been outstanding. Sony should copy this feature as soon as possible. Controllers are expensive.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
They probably will. From patents the ds5 has no lightbar.

The ps5 is backwards compatible with psvr which requires the lightbar for a good amount of games so the ds4 will have to work in theory

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So in your reality, in the best case scenario, were Sony does not allow DS4 to be compatible with PS5, only a fraction of a fraction of PS5 games are going to use DS5 features in essential way anyway.

Well, I didn't say that. I said they need to find a way to communicate compatibility more carefully than MS so as not to induce developers - exclusive developers, even - to avoid using the new controller's features in significant ways. That doesn't mean 'no compatibility'.

To advertise general compatibility, if that's what is being advocated, would render pointless any additions/changes to the controller IMO. So rightly or wrongly, given Sony has made changes to the controller, I don't expect they'll advertise general forward compatibility for DS4. I think it answers that question. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is debatable - personally I would trade general universal forward compatibility if it means continuing evolution of controllers though, yes.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's a double edged sword.

In order to that, the feature set between generations is frozen.

How can Sony guarantee a DS4 will work on any PS5 game, if - for example - a game uses adaptive triggers as a kind of multi-button input?

The answer is, they can't, in the general case. Maybe they could let you use a DS4 'at your own risk', depending on how a game uses the controller, but that itself could lead to frustration for users.
Yeah, but it then forces the developer to tick a box in that regard - and to question whether they should lean into DS5 functionality or leave things open to DS4 compatibility. It raises the option, which could encourage devs - or make them feel obliged to - not use DS5 features to any great extent. Which winds up neutering the changes. Sony may not want to have devs worrying about whether to lean in on DS5-exclusive functionality.

If games 'naturally' can support DS4, then for sure, that would be great. But I think there may be questions of incentive in how that's managed.
150m+ plastic controllers ultimately ending up in landfill just for the sake of a multi-button input which will be used by a select few PS5 exclusives eh. Let's hope they're more sensible than that and let you use DS4 wherever possible, for the vast majority of games (and all multi-plats) where it won't matter. There's no technical limitation for that.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is debatable - personally I would trade general universal forward compatibility if it means continuing evolution of controllers though, yes.
DS4 had new features over DS3 and look how well they got implemented in games... barely at all. The reality is the way you're going to see evolution of video game controls is when Sony, MS, Nintendo and key 3rd party publishers sit down together and establish new standards collectively.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I would hope I can use my DualShock 4 since I'm assuming the PS5 controller is the same
I don't want to put my ps1 classic dualshock 4 away for good :(

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
150m+ plastic controllers ultimately ending up in landfill just for the sake of a multi-button input which will be used by a select few PS5 exclusives eh. Let's hope they're more sensible than that and let you use DS4 wherever possible, for the vast majority of games (and all multi-plats) where it won't matter. There's no technical limitation for that.

That's all more nuanced than a general compatibility so 👍 If a general compatibility was desired it would be better to have no new controller features at all. But given that they're there, if there's an expectation that people will (potentially) pay more for these, I would hope support in exclusives at least isn't neutered by a general DS4 compatibility policy. Getting decent support for new controller features is hard enough, add that, and you might as well leave them out altogether.

DS4 had new features over DS3 and look how well they got implemented in games... barely at all. The reality is the way you're going to see evolution of video game controls is when Sony, MS, Nintendo and key 3rd party publishers sit down together and establish new standards collectively.

I err on the side of thinking controller evolution has been too conservative. I know I'm in a minority opinion on that. Like - cost considerations aside - I would have preferred if the DS5 had been a more ambitious singular controller for TV and VR play, for example. In that way I don't think we're ready for standardisation at all. I think it would be terrible for Nintendo also. But that's just my opinion.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Not as of yet, but considering we have semi-confirmed backwards compatibility with PS4 as well as the weirdly timed PS4 back button attachment, it looks pretty likely it will.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
I err on the side of thinking controller evolution has been too conservative. I know I'm in a minority opinion on that. Like - cost considerations aside - I would have preferred if the DS5 had been a more ambitious singular controller for TV and VR play, for example. In that way I don't think we're ready for standardisation at all. I think it would be terrible for Nintendo also. But that's just my opinion.
We have a de facto standard, and in order to push that standard forward you would probably require a cooperation between manufacturers. Unless someone introduces something so disruptive that everybody else will be forced to adapt, but chances are low at this point.

Aug 23, 2018

New tech like the six axis, touch pad, or light up bar that was more or less all gimmicky bullshit? No thanks. I'd rather they not get cute and add a touch screen or something stupid that will prevent me from using the controller I already own.

May 29, 2018
I can't even get a single dualshock4 controller last more than a year or two. Such bad build quality I really hope the dualshock5 is improved in that point

Oct 27, 2017
I think it will since they are doing backwards compatibility with PSVR and that means the moves will work on the PS5. If the PS5 controller doesn't have a light bar it will be necessary for PSVR support as well, but that's just speculation.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
No confirmation far as I know but they have to right, it would be extremely stupid if they won't.
My perfectly fine PS3 steering wheel did not work on PS4 for some inexplicable bullshit licensing reasons. So I'm not optimistic. We know PSVR will work so presumably so will the camera and then presumably from that also the Moves. So you'd think normal DS4s will as well. There would be a lot of goodwill if they did. Don't fancy buying a £60 extra pad just for that one time my mate comes up to play FIFA once a year.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Here's my prediction on how this whole situation will pan out (see post #54 above for context):

PlayStation 4:
  • Can use PS4 controllers for PS4 games.
  • Can use PS5 controllers for PS4 games, but cannot use the added extra features of the controller.

PlayStation 5:
  • Can use PS4 controllers for PS4 games.
  • Can use PS4 controllers for some PS5 games that don't require the added extra features of the PS5 controller.
  • Can use PS5 controllers for PS4 games, but cannot use the added extra features of the controller.
  • Can use PS5 controllers for PS5 games.

Or, if you want to view this from the perspective of controller compatibility:

PS4 controllers (DualShock 4):
  • Can be used to play PS4 games on either PS4 or PS5.
  • Can be used to play some PS5 games on PS5.

PS5 controllers:
  • Can be used to play PS4 games on either PS4 or PS5.
  • Can be used to play PS5 games on PS5.
Again, Sony's precedent for this was the transition between the PS1 and PS2, which followed a similar set of rules. When PS2 came out, I was able to very easily use my PS1 controllers with all of my PS1 games, as well as most PS2 games. Even some specialized controllers like the NeGcon, steering wheel, and trackball were usable with some PS2 games. I cannot see why PS4 and PS5 won't turn out the same way.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
While it would be nice to use PS4 controllers on PS5 (particularly specialty controllers) I can't see myself ever wanting to use a DS4 controller again unless they really messed something up with the DS5. Better battery life alone should make the DS5 a better controller.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
The DS4 is a subset of the DS5 functionality so most likely not for 'PS5 native' games.
Sony believes in generational-shifts and I'm sure that applies to controllers as well (if there's valid innovations with the next controller).
Sony believes in charging you again for their controller even though it will be barely an upgrade. I would be shocked if the new PS controller is some type of revolution. They should give their customers a solid and make them compatible.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Didn't they say PSVR is compatible on PS5? That confirms DS4 as tons of PSVR content doesn't use Move controllers, just DS4.

Klart

Jan 23, 2019
I own 4 controllers too, it just seems silly to me to cry about an optional purchase (got black, white, PS1 & the see through plastic)
I like collecting controllers. For PS4 I have 20 controllers.

10 Dualshocks (4 black, 6 coloured), 2 minicontrollers (wired), 2 turbo/fight controllers (wired), 2 mini arcade sticks, 1 big arcade stick and 3 Moves.

I hope they function on the PS5, but I'll probably go crazy on DS5s as well.