• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
www.google.com

Shockingly, Super Mario ISN'T Italian - He's Japanese

Fans have been certain of Super Mario's background for decades, but one former Nintendo employee has cast doubt on those origins now.

"Super Mario Bros. isn't set in Japan, but the character's Japanese. The name Mario sounds Italian, but he isn't Italian. They were really able to capture that ambiguity," Uemura said.

Seems like a pretty big retcon to erase a characters nationality?

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
never made any sense to me that Italian would be a way to describe a fictional character that lives in a fictional world where Italy doesn't exist.

But having said that it still makes more sense for him to be Italian than Japanese

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Ambiguity? I... what? Why have they let Charles Martinet play a really bad Italian accent for him for years then?

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
He's from Brooklyn, but yeah I am p sure he's Italian American.
mario.fandom.com

Brooklyn

Brooklyn is a borough of the greater city of New York, and is located in the United States of America. It is the actual hometown to Mario and Luigi were born in the TV shows and movies, such as the DiC cartoons and The Super Mario Bros. Movie. The first in-game appearance of Brooklyn was in...

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
He's Italian. Here from Shigeru himself.

Q: Mario is Italian. Or we assume he is Italian, was there something behind that?
As a kid, I was a big comic fan and I liked foreign comics as well. So I drew some characters that had more western type features with a little bigger noses and what not. Now with Mario, I think with Mario Bros. we had a setting of course that was underground, so I just decided Mario is a plumber. Let's put him in New York and he can be Italian. There was really no other deep thought other than that.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
never made any sense to me that Italian would be a way to describe a fictional character that lives in a fictional world where Italy doesn't exist.

But having said that it still makes more sense for him to be Italian than Japanese
Never thought about it that way, but you are right.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
I have yet to see what exactly Mario did in his life that resembles to Italian culture, other than name and nationality claimed to be an Italian.

Even the classic ads that feature Mario show he's practicing Japanese cultures. I mean, there must be an attempt to make him like..an Italian?

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I have yet to see what exactly Mario did in his life that resembles to Italian culture, other than name and nationality claimed to be an Italian.

Even the classic ads that feature Mario show he's practicing Japanese cultures. I mean, there must be an attempt to make him like..an Italian?
he dreams about ravioli

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo hasn't officially declared Mario is a Japanese character with an Italian name. Uemura has been retired from Nintendo since 2004, so his take on Mario's origins has first-hand credibility but not the company's seal of approval.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

He has lent his name and likeness to pizzerias all over the world.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
He's not Italian. He's not Japanese. Neither Italy nor Japan exist in the universe he lives in, so he's none of that.

But he has an Italian name and accent, so...

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia

He's actually eating risotto there.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I mean... he lives in lands and worlds with pipes coming out of the ground and mushroom creatures and anything that is unlike Italy so Italy was never the first thing that came to my mind when I see Mario.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The real world doesn't exist in the Mario world, so my head canon is that Mario is a short New Donker, and New Donk City is where you find the Mario universe's Italian-Americans.

Also while we're shooting down retcons, the Koopalings are totally Bowser's children and I refuse to accept otherwise.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
So Mario is a Japanese man who dreams of spaghetti, has an italian name, and runs around yelling MAMA MIA... 🤔

GameBytes

Jan 22, 2019
He was "born" by a Japanese person but acts like an Italian - thus he is a Japanese obsessed with Italian culture, a Japanese Italophile

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK

Even his voice actor, at the audition for the character, was told he's voicing an "Italian plumber from Brooklyn".

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Horseshit on this one.

But then again, I was never a fan of that "it's-a-me" crap. I'll probably get booed but Captain Lou will always be Mario to me (just like Jaleel White and Sonic).

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
When he falls asleep in 64 he dreams of Spaghetti and Ravioli. GTFO with this nonsense, he is clearly Italian.