• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Ugh this Aeron chair sucks ass. You can't move the arms at all. No tilt control apparently means no tilt lock at all, the plastic rim is NOT comfortable.
boo on this chair
Yeah, you may need to find one with fully adjustable arms. Fully optioned out arm rest from the remastered version has lateral tilt/pivot, depth slider, and height adjustment. Remastered arms have softer cushion padding for both leather and synthetic option

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I probably already replied in this thread, but:

Herman Miller probably saved me thousands in back surgery alone
It most definitely saved me money on chairs, I would break my cheap IKEA or STAPLES chair after 2 years.. those costs add up.

Ugh this Aeron chair sucks ass. You can't move the arms at all. No tilt control apparently means no tilt lock at all, the plastic rim is NOT comfortable.
boo on this chair

Pretty sure mine has those options.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
boo on this chair

My old Aeron definitely had arm adjustment and tilt control adjustment.. I get you about the plastic rim though.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
boo on this chair

Adjustable arms and a tilt limiter are options—they're usually optioned with them unless the chair is meant for some generic meeting room use case or something. If the plastic lip on the front of the seat is irritating the back of your legs, it's often either because the seat depth is too long for your legs (in which case it's the wrong sized model for you), or because the chair is adjusted too high, and your knees can't maintain a 90° angle. But yeah, it's not at all soft if you want to sit in a way where your legs will be in contact with it.

Kass

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has convinced me to finally get myself something better.
I've just got myself a Steelcase Think and it's an incredible improvement!

Couldn't be happier with my purchase, I'm sure there are even better ones out there but obivously $$$ and I don't have lot of space for the chair itself.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
This thread has convinced me to finally get myself something better.
I've just got myself a Steelcase Think and it's an incredible improvement!

Couldn't be happier with my purchase, I'm sure there are even better ones out there but obivously $$$ and I don't have lot of space for the chair itself.

Nice, that's the one I should be getting in a few days, hopefully I'll like it too! If not, well, I'll keep it around while I save up for something better lol.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, hearing people not liking their $1000 chair has me real hesitant to drop a bunch of money on one.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Got the Herman Miller Embody and I'm glad I did.

The cost is easy to justify given the sheer amount of hours I spend at my desk.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Figured I would share some of my research.

I focused on Steelcase because they are offered as full refurb and 12 year warranty. Herman Miller is available around $500 with 2-3 year warranties.

BTOD
  • 5% coupon code: SIZZLE
  • Free Shipping
Steel Case Leap v2 - $519

Crandall Office
  • 5% Coupon code after signing up for newsletter
  • Custom Options Available (Fabric/Stool Kit/Heavy Duty Cylinder)
  • Free Shipping

Steel Case Leap v1 - $399
Steel Case Leap v2 - $499
I got a leap v2 from Crandall. Highly recommend buying from them.
Butt the leap v2 hurts my rear after a work day sitting.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
New chair coming out next month

seems like this is a generic design thats being produced in one factory and being rebranded by anyone who is interested. obviously i have no proof of that, just an observation. google's adsense knows ive been loooking for an ergo chair and ive seen this design numerous times on ads by different brands on my fb feed. price lines up with those other ads ive seen as well. looks like one of the WorkPro 12000 chairs at officemax. ive sat in it and thought it was actually very comfortable.

Oct 29, 2017
I was just hoping the collaboration would have produced something custom in the $800 range. Good ergonomics chairs that are accessible to more people would have been nice.

Baby steps I guess.
Yeah, while I hopped otherwise, I felt Logitech was simply going to put their logo to an already existing HM chair, but I wasn't expecting it to be the Embody. Would have been great to see a new chair.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, hearing people not liking their $1000 chair has me real hesitant to drop a bunch of money on one.

No one chair is ideal for everyone, and the Aeron in particular tends to be love/hate. The usual advice is to go try these chairs in showrooms, though obviously that has its challenges at present.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

$1495. JFC. I know it's HM, but damn.

boo on this chair
Yeah, you may need to find one with fully adjustable arms. Fully optioned out arm rest from the remastered version has lateral tilt/pivot, depth slider, and height adjustment. Remastered arms have softer cushion padding for both leather and synthetic option
Heck, even my classic came with all of those options. I didn't even have to ask for it. Im surprised they even sell them without those options.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017

$1495. JFC. I know it's HM, but damn.

Heck, even my classic came with all of those options. I didn't even have to ask for it. Im surprised they even sell them without those options.

It's essentially just a visual update on the herman miller embody, and that's pretty much it's price, so honestly the only surprising thing there is it doesn't have any leds or any of that "gamer" stupid stuff, although it does have those blue buttons and knobs, which is...

The only embody like chair I have seen that is the least bit "accessible" is the autonomous kinn https://www.autonomous.ai/office-chairs/kinn-chair which given the price, the 5 year warranty, and the 15 to 30 day return period (country dependent) makes it a reasonably good purchase.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
It's essentially just a visual update on the herman miller embody, and that's pretty much it's price, so honestly the only surprising thing there is it doesn't have any leds or any of that "gamer" stupid stuff, although it does have those blue buttons and knobs, which is...

The only embody like chair I have seen that is the least bit "accessible" is the autonomous kinn https://www.autonomous.ai/office-chairs/kinn-chair which given the price, the 5 year warranty, and the 15 to 30 day return period (country dependent) makes it a reasonably good purchase.

I'm glad they didn't go all out gaudy with RGB lighting and 'Racer' bucket styling. Didn't expect them to, but nonetheless reassuring now that it's outed.

Design wise I like how the Logitech branding and color scheme is subdued and doesn't look too gamey. Looks like they also have additional padding in the cushion compared to the vanilla Embody so there's that.

But that $1500 price...oof. Same price as the vanilla Embody but still quite pricey with no discount right now. I suppose you get what you pay for.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad they didn't go all out gaudy with RGB lighting and 'Racer' bucket styling. Didn't expect them to, but nonetheless reassuring now that it's outed.

Design wise I like how the Logitech branding and color scheme is subdued and doesn't look too gamey. Looks like they also have additional padding in the cushion compared to the vanilla Embody so there's that.

But that $1500 price...oof. Same price as the vanilla Embody but still quite pricey with no discount right now. I suppose you get what you pay for.

Definitely have no complaints about mine (embody not this one), outside of the outstanding back support system, it is obvious that while expensive it is built better than any chair I have tried before, and it isn't even close, it is just an absolute tank of a chair, the only more flimsy (still reasonably solid) and kind of disappointing part is the arms of the chair, which are definitely not at the same level, both at a construction and mechanical level, not that it is much of a worry either way, since it will last at least 12 years, given that they have a no bullshit warranty for that period of time.

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
After finding out that there is a good chance I may need to WFH the rest of the year, I just bit the bullet and ordered an Embody. I don't have a proper office setup at home so I've been using a cheap ass chair and it has been wrecking my back lately. I see it as an investment for my health so it makes it easier to justify the price tag. I'm sure my back will thank me later.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Y'all can get office chairs for cheap at office furniture wholesalers, remember? Got my Steelcase Leap v2 for $299.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
I mentioned proper ergonomic setups (re desk and keyboard and screen height) earlier in the thread but I don't think I said this part explicitly: you cannot use a laptop ergonomically, not by itself. Either the keyboard is too high or more likely the screen is too low. At a minimum you need a laptop stand/lifter/whatever and an external keyboard. An ergonomic chair is great but it's one part of the solution, not the whole thing.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Just got my Steelcase Think (v2) and first impressions are positive. Finally a chair I can rock on. The green upholstery looks a tiny bit goofy (got it from a reseller so the color is what it is) in my otherwise pretty monochrome apartment, but the fact that it doesn't look like a huge, lumbering mothership like the SL Titan more than makes up for it.

This should easily last me until I can afford an Aeron or Embody or maybe Leap.

parski

Nov 13, 2017
Maybe three years ago I walked into an ergonomy store to decide wether I would get the Aeron or the Embody. I ended up trying every chair in the store and went home with a Håg Capisco. At the beginning of this pandemic I decided to upgrade my home office spaces and added an Aeron and a Think V2. I still think the most ergonomic chair out of the three is the Capisco but I use the Aeron most right now because it's a more comfortable recline. Probably not great in the long run though.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
Maybe three years ago I walked into an ergonomy store to decide wether I would get the Aeron or the Embody. I ended up trying every chair in the store and went home with a Håg Capisco. At the beginning of this pandemic I decided to upgrade my home office spaces and added an Aeron and a Think V2. I still think the most ergonomic chair out of the three is the Capisco but I use the Aeron most right now because it's a more comfortable recline. Probably not great in the long run though.
How many people use your office space? Why do you want 3 chairs?

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
I mentioned proper ergonomic setups (re desk and keyboard and screen height) earlier in the thread but I don't think I said this part explicitly: you cannot use a laptop ergonomically, not by itself. Either the keyboard is too high or more likely the screen is too low. At a minimum you need a laptop stand/lifter/whatever and an external keyboard. An ergonomic chair is great but it's one part of the solution, not the whole thing.
Yup I really noticed this when I started doing more work on the laptop at the beginning of the lockdown. Once I realised how uncomfortable it was for longterm use I let my daughter use my xps 15 for school, and I used our old-but-much-more-comfortable-for-me pc.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
My Aeron came in. It's basically my first office chair I've used at home in about 6 years, and it feels great. I actually love the forward leaning sitting position, it makes me feel more active. I will say I am pretty long at 194cm, and that even with size C I feel I'm right at the limit of how long you can be for the chair. That might just be me though, but if you're 200cm or longer, you might just go for another model.

Also I can totally get people not liking the plastic edge, I don't think the chair looks expensive, even with the polished aluminum I have. I don't feel the plastic while sitting at all though, so it's more of a appearance issue. Also ordered a headrest, but it seems like the chair makes you sit in a position where you don't need one, so I think I'll send it back.

Last edited:

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Incidentally, if anyone is looking to get a brand new Herman Miller chair, another good option is to look for an authorized dealer.

I already picked up a used Aeron Classic for my apartment for $350 off local Craigslist back in March, but I also bought a fully optioned brand new Aeron Remastered today for my home @32% off vs. hermanmiller.com web price. Saved me $500 and a change, and it's being shipped free directly from Herman Miller to boot.

For anyone considering a brand new HM chair, including the recently launched Embody x Logitech chair, it may be worth checking in with your local or national AD.

Oct 27, 2017
Theres a local seller by me selling a boatload of Herman Miller Aeron chairs for 425 each..... seriously considering it.....worth it at that price? Ive only ever owned the fake racer chairs and currently use a staples office chair.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Theres a local seller by me selling a boatload of Herman Miller Aeron chairs for 425 each..... seriously considering it.....worth it at that price? Ive only ever owned the fake racer chairs and currently use a staples office chair.

If it's reasonably optioned (back support, adjustable arm rest) and in good condition, that's a decent price point. I would check it out in person if possible just to feel it out and you're comfortable in it.

Can you tell if they are Classic or Remastered versions?

At that price point, it's neigh impossible to find a remastered version unless it's damaged or the seller doesn't know its market value. That'd be a steal price if it's a remastered version and I'd jump on it ASAP.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
The real aeron magic is the ass net(TM). I switched from a cheap office chair to aeron at a job one day and my ass went from being sore/numb every day to feeling like I hadn't even been sitting on it at all. I've also used the same type of chair at jobs where I'm sitting for 12+ hours with no issues.

I don't think I agree with the assessment that H-M chairs are "designer". The cheapass companies I've worked for would have found a different comfortable option if they could have, I'm sure.

I currently use a ~$300 (CAD) IKEA chair that lands somewhere in between. I can sit at it for 8 hours a day without a sore ass, but I still feel like I've been sitting for 8 hours.

This guy:
hattefjaell-office-chair-with-armrests__0724647_PE734547_S5.JPG

Though seeing OP got an aeron chair for $400 (USD?), I kind of wish I did that too.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Well got the word from work that I'll be working from home for at least the next 6 months minimum. Considering my job is typically a lot more physical, this has been a big shift for me and my current chair is just not cutting it. Picked up a Secret Labs chair, should be here Friday. Hopefully I like it.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know what times of the year Staples' Hyken goes on sale? I've been eyeing it for some time now but don't want to pay $220 for it. There's a red one for $189 I saw, which tempted me.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
This one was just posted recently, not sure what version this is?

This is the one im currently looking at possibly buying, no idea what version this would be.

That's 100% the Classic model, and it seems to be fully optioned out with posturepedic back support, tilt/tilt lock levers, and adjustable armrest.

Provided it's not broken, that is a good deal. Also, polished aluminum option doesn't come by often and that alone is normally a $150 upgrade.

If I didn't have one already, I'd jump on it.

Oct 27, 2017
That's 100% the Classic model, and it seems to be fully optioned out with posturepedic back support, tilt/tilt lock levers, and adjustable armrest.

Provided it's not broken, that is a good deal. Also, polished aluminum option doesn't come by often and that alone is normally a $150 upgrade.

If I didn't have one already, I'd jump on it.

Yeah lets see if i get lucky.

Oticon

Oct 30, 2017
Guys, stop wasting money on these shitty racer and gamer chairs. You can look up and see liquidators selling good/new condition Herman Miller/Steelcase chairs locally for a cheap price. I got my Leap V2 for like $300 and it was the best decision I made. I was having back aches and knee problems because of my terrible old chair from Staples which went away once I swapped the chairs. The added benefit of getting these highend task chairs is they are built like a tank and will last for years.

jxN3

Oct 3, 2018
I know a lot of people hype the Aeron up, but I've been on the Steelcase Leap for about a year now, and I found that it's far more comfortable. Also, far more customization.

Found it on Offer-Up for $65 -- these often go under the radar on trade sites, Aeron's are constantly targeted by re-sellers -- almost impossible to find a steal on Herman Miller chairs these days.

SC-Leap-V2-chair-Refurb-1.jpg

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I know a lot of people hype the Aeron up, but I've been on the Steelcase Leap for about a year now, and I found that it's far more comfortable. Also, far more customization.

Found it on Offer-Up for $65 -- these often go under the radar on trade sites, Aeron's are constantly targeted by re-sellers -- almost impossible to find a steal on Herman Miller chairs these days.

SC-Leap-V2-chair-Refurb-1.jpg
65$??? Wow. That's quite a steal!

👀

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
Work let me take home a Herman Miller Aeron and yesterday I found a decently priced Embody for $550 with 20% off coupon.

Really liking both atm.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
Figured this might be a good thread to pop this question in:

Chair mats (specifically for carpet), everything I've seen looks like the same thing, same reviews. Lots of complaints on being shipped rolled up, cracking, chair wheels sinking in/breaking the mat. Seems like there's no good option.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Figured this might be a good thread to pop this question in:

Chair mats (specifically for carpet), everything I've seen looks like the same thing, same reviews. Lots of complaints on being shipped rolled up, cracking, chair wheels sinking in/breaking the mat. Seems like there's no good option.
I own an IKEA plastic chair mat, and have been using it for 2 years and counting. Haven't cracked, it's still textured/rugged, and my gaming chair loves it.

It's still feels like new, despite me scratching on the mat so much that white streaks appear on it a lot.

For carpets, the best chair mat is a spare carpet of your home, an extra cut of your carpet which you can easily get from a home furnishing store, or Home Depot I guess. You lay the spare carpet over your carpet, so it's double-layered.

This spare carpet should be large enough, and you really wanted the same carpet as your house if you can. Nothing can replace the carpet as a chair mat, I tell you.