• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Wait for a bit and see what Logitech and Herman MIller come up with.

I am praying for something actually reasonable but I have this bad feeling we're getting something like $800.

Man why can't some company come along and just go here. $200. Best chair for the money you can buy. We're coming in to just dominate the market and get a generation of loyal customers from this. Like why hasn't that happened with chairs yet.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I am praying for something actually reasonable but I have this bad feeling we're getting something like $800.

Man why can't some company come along and just go here. $200. Best chair for the money you can buy. We're coming in to just dominate the market and get a generation of loyal customers from this. Like why hasn't that happened with chairs yet.
Because they know "gamers" will pay a premium for gaming accessories :'c but yeah, I wish.

donhonk

Oct 30, 2017
Y'all need to just buy a 1000 dollar chair. It's been beyond worth it for something I use literally everyday for the past 5 years and will continue to use for the next 5 and beyond. I like the Embody with Steelcase Leap in a close second.

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
I bought an herman miller aeron about a month ago after my previous chair fell apart. It has made an amazing difference, I find it incredibly comfortable and supportive. I really regret not buying one years ago.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I had the same needs a few months ago because I started working from home and the chair I had was just not cutting it. I found in a local used office supply vendor a Humanscale Freedom with headrest chair for a mere 350$ Canadian. Super clean, like new. No damage at all on fabric. I instantly bought. I have never used a chair this good before, and that's coming from offices with Steelcase chairs and also even custom local chairs which were $$$.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Y'all need to just buy a 1000 dollar chair. It's been beyond worth it for something I use literally everyday for the past 5 years and will continue to use for the next 5 and beyond. I like the Embody with Steelcase Leap in a close second.

I'd drop a thousand easily if I could go somewhere and actually try a new Aeron or Leap or even Embody, but nobody sells them in Finland. It's annoying.

I found a (supposedly) well kept Steelcase Think (v2) for 250 euros online, decided to just take the leap and ordered it blind. Should get it by next weekend. It seems very good at least, especially for that price, so I hope it actually is, too.

Last edited:

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My secret labs Omega DotA edition arrived this week and it's glorious.

Worst part was assembly of the seat and backrest which was fiddly, but once it is ready super comfortable.

I'm about 5 ft 10 and 70kg so not big but there's not much more room on the seat. Bigger folks would probably not be as comfy.

I'm really happy with it and it's instant impact on relieving back pain.

Free shipping in UK at the moment I think which is a bit of a bargain.

Oct 27, 2017

I think the main problem is when you buy a Herman Miller chair, you're expecting to have it for at least the 12 years the warranty lasts (probably closer to 20 years). That's very little scope for repeat custom, so if you enter the market with your loss-leading $200 clone that's built to the same specifications as the $1000+ ones, it doesn't matter how loyal your customers are, because they aren't going to be buying anything else from you any time soon. Of course, you could design it to fall apart after a couple of years, but at that point, you're just like every other $200 gaming chair.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I'd drop a thousand easily if I could go somewhere and actually try a new Aeron or Leap or even Embody, but nobody sells them in Finland. It's annoying.

There is one retailer for Aeron's in Finland, https://www.ktinteriorstore.fi/product/15/aeron-remastered

They deliver it fully assembled so box is pretty big, just so you know.

I got mine from there and while price is steep for us Finns I have 0 regrets. Best computer / office chair I have ever sat on, sitting on cloud kinda stuff.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
There is one retailer for Aeron's in Finland, https://www.ktinteriorstore.fi/product/15/aeron-remastered

I got mine from there and while price is steep for us Finns I have 0 regrets. Best computer / office chair I have ever sit on, sitting on cloud kinda stuff.

Oh, I take that back, then. Not particularly eager to visit Helsinki anytime soon for obvious reasons haha, but I'll have to keep this place in mind and check it out when the covid situation has calmed down. At 1600 euros, I'm gonna have to put some serious money aside anyway, not exactly an impulse purchase.

Until then, the Think will have to do, unless I can find a used Aeron. There was one in my area earlier this year for 400 euros and I'm just.. Beating myself for not buying it then.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017

They deliver it fully assembled so box is pretty big, just so you know.

I got mine from there and while price is steep for us Finns I have 0 regrets. Best computer / office chair I have ever sit on, sitting on cloud kinda stuff.

I think their issue is that they want to be able to test it first, which is reasonable. I know I only got an Embody after actually sitting on it after sitting on several other high priced chairs that did not suite me at all.

I fully support spending 1k on a good office chair but also think it would be foolish to make the choice without testing. If I just bought an Aeron without testing I would have been miserable since it wasn't comfortable to me at all. That is the problem with the times as they are right now, it's hard to test stuff even if they are in your area. Also it completely takes out the possibility of a used chair which is a good way of getting a good one for a more reasonable price.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think their issue is that they want to be able to test it first, which is reasonable. I know I only got an Embody after actually sitting on it after sitting on several other high priced chairs that did not suite me at all.

I fully support spending 1k on a good office chair but also think it would be foolish to make the choice without testing. If I just bought an Aeron without testing I would have been miserable since it wasn't comfortable to me at all. That is the problem with the times as they are right now, it's hard to test stuff even if they are in your area. Also it completely takes out the possibility of a used chair which is a good way of getting a good one for a more reasonable price.

Yeah, I can't justify a grand on a chair, sight unseen. Besides when you are taller than 99% of the population a lot of these 5 star, best of the best, chairs aren't as comfortable as they are for the average person.

I've been looking for ages and I still haven't found anything that looks like it will suffice but that I can also actually sit in before dropping the cash.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

I didn't say he should buy it blind. I merely gave him info about "local" retailer selling those as he thought no one here does.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I take that back, then. Not particularly eager to visit Helsinki anytime soon for obvious reasons haha, but I'll have to keep this place in mind and check it out when the covid situation has calmed down. At 1600 euros, I'm gonna have to put some serious money aside anyway, not exactly an impulse purchase.

Until then, the Think will have to do, unless I can find a used Aeron. There was one in my area earlier this year for 400 euros and I'm just.. Beating myself for not buying it then.

Hilariously, the best way to try out a lot of these high end chairs is to keep an eye out for them if you ever visit an office somewhere. Especially if you ever find yourself inside a trendy media company.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The pricing has way more to it than "because gamers will just buy it." The majority of gamers won't buy a $600+ chair. That's way there are different pricing segments. There are already decent chairs to be had at these price points as long as you keep your expectations in check.

One thing people neglect are warranty programs. Herman Miller and Steelcase chairs come with a 12 year warranty. Any chair you buy should come with a decent warranty. At least 5 years and/or a limited lifetime warranty. They are more expensive because they are built to last a long time.

Cheaper chairs that come with a 2 year warranty with bo option to upgrade to 5 years are ones to stay way from. If a company can't trust their chair for more than 2 years then it makes me question their craftmanship and trust in their product. But usually these companies design these chairs that way in order to get repeat purchases in the next 4 years or so.

Another thing... a large portion gamer/office chairs all come from the same manufacturers in China like Carn Brea, DXBOS, and whoever IKEA uses. These companies just slap their branding on the chair and add a $200-$400 price tag. It keeps production costs down and allows to have a higher profit margin.

Companies like Knoll, Steelcase, Herman Miller, Humanscale, etc. are manufactured in locations where workers are paid higher wages and have stricter labor laws. Also material quality is usually higher grade. So products from these companies tend to be more expensive.

In the end people can either afford or not afford to care about build quality, fair wages, and labor laws. Some people just don't care about any of that no matter what. So go with whatever is most comfortable for your price point. Just be smart about it and, if it is within your means, opt in for a 5+ year warranty if they offer it.

Last edited:

_illmatic_

Jan 8, 2018
I was looking for a new office/gaming chairs a few months back. Was gonna just grab an Omega untill I did a deep dive into chairs and ergonomics. Ended up splurging on a Herman Miller Embody. I figured in general, I've spent that much on a vacation, and more on a PC build. So why not spend that same amount on my health/posture and something that should also last a lifetime. Also at work we have standing desk, not so much at home. So with working from home with this pandemic and gaming I'm sitting like 10+ hours a day. Jeez! I owe it to my back.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I definitely need a new chair pronto. I've been doing video editing stuff and editing for hours on end is killing my back. I still can't decide on the Herman Miller Aeron (probably just one from madison seating) or an Omega chair. Ikea is out of stock of the Markus near me.

Is a Size A Aeron sufficient for my build though, 5'8'' and 135 lb? I see some for around 500 adjustable lumbar, tension control, height adjustment, adjustable arms (height), vinyl arm pads, rear tilt lock. Are these the best overall features to have on the Aeron?

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017

Basically, the last 40 years of "progress" has pushed out any and all middle tier offerings from almost every market. Chairs are a really good example of this: they list for $80-200 and crappy, or $1000 and great, and the best way to get one is to wait for a company to sell off the $1000 chairs they bought for $500.

The wal-mart/amazon rush to the bottom doesn't affect the premium brands so much as it does the mid-tier ones.

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
My secret labs Omega DotA edition arrived this week and it's glorious.

Worst part was assembly of the seat and backrest which was fiddly, but once it is ready super comfortable.

I'm about 5 ft 10 and 70kg so not big but there's not much more room on the seat. Bigger folks would probably not be as comfy.

I'm really happy with it and it's instant impact on relieving back pain.

Free shipping in UK at the moment I think which is a bit of a bargain.
Yulp got my 2020 Omega soft weave in charcoal blue about a month ago. Absolutely love it. I didn't have issue with assembly and I'm a tad shorter than you. Followed the video.
plenty of room to move and sit comfortably but if you're any larger, you'd want the Titan.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Want a top-end chair without spending a ton? Buy used at an office liquidator place. You can find very good chairs for 200-300. An Aeron might be a bit more (~350-450), but I got a Steelcase Leap for 200 and absolutely love it. It's great for my back and I am confident it will last a long time.

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I recomend finding one on the side of the road. Its how I ended up with a lightly used $900 Haworth chair.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a hard time finding a used Herman Miller or Steelcase locally in Portland, OR.

Anybody heard of officefurniturecenter.com based in Chicago? They have the Leap V2 for $299.

www.officefurniturecenter.com

Steelcase Leap V2 Task (Link/Black)

OfficeFurnitureCenter.com is now completely sold out of our pre-owned Steelcase Leap V2 task chairs sku ST619D. We have no immediate expectation to have any in stock. As soon as we have more Leap V2 chairs in stock, we will post them back to our website. Please continue to check in with us...

www.yelp.com

Office Furniture Center - Chicago, IL

Specialties: Office Furniture Center operates the largest showroom of value-priced office furniture in the Midwest. Over the past 10-years, we have served over 25,000 businesses. We specialize in premium pre-owned, reconditioned, and cost-effective new office furniture. Established in 2004. For...

Last edited:

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I definitely need a new chair pronto. I've been doing video editing stuff and editing for hours on end is killing my back. I still can't decide on the Herman Miller Aeron (probably just one from madison seating) or an Omega chair. Ikea is out of stock of the Markus near me.

Is a Size A Aeron sufficient for my build though, 5'8'' and 135 lb? I see some for around 500 adjustable lumbar, tension control, height adjustment, adjustable arms (height), vinyl arm pads, rear tilt lock. Are these the best overall features to have on the Aeron?

If anyone has answers to these in regards to the Aeron, I'd super appreciate it. I've narrowed it down between the Herman Miller or Secret Lab Omega.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Just bought an ergonomic office chair from Costco for $99 on a lark.

Went home and found it actually has really decent reviews so I'm excited to try the thing out.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
how was your experience with madison? I had seen lots of shady reviews, and I don't think they honor a 10-year warranty any longer either for new customers

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
I'm having a hard time finding a used Herman Miller or Steelcase locally in Portland, OR.

Anybody heard of officefurniturecenter.com based in Chicago? They have the Leap V2 for $299.

OfficeFurnitureCenter.com is now completely sold out of our pre-owned Steelcase Leap V2 task chairs sku ST619D. We have no immediate expectation to have any in stock. As soon as we have more Leap V2 chairs in stock, we will post them back to our website. Please continue to check in with us...

www.yelp.com

Specialties: Office Furniture Center operates the largest showroom of value-priced office furniture in the Midwest. Over the past 10-years, we have served over 25,000 businesses. We specialize in premium pre-owned, reconditioned, and cost-effective new office furniture. Established in 2004. For...

$299 for steelcase leap?

I'm guessing it's refurbishe but that's still way too cheap. Not sure if this is legit...

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
how was your experience with madison? I had seen lots of shady reviews, and I don't think they honor a 10-year warranty any longer either for new customers

Another option may be BTOD. I never bought anything from them, but their YouTube channel was very informative which helped my purchase decision. They seem to have good warranty too.

EDIT: I see they're currently sold out. Seems COVID more or less wiped out their supply channel and warehouse inventory.

Last edited:

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
Another option may be BTOD. I never bought anything from them, but their YouTube channel was very informative which helped my purchase decision. They seem to have good warranty too.

EDIT: I see they're currently sold out. Seems COVID more or less wiped out their supply channel and warehouse inventory.
Oh nice, I trust BTOD and they have the Leap V2 for $519 - %5 coupon + free ship. I never really thought to look here.

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento

www.yelp.com

Interesting, $500 for Aerons seems about right, 299 is what I paid on CL for a leap v2...

My dad's looking for a desk chair now that he's stuck WFH... hmmm

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017

I had seen their reviews for many chairs I'd been looking at. I think buying a used Aeron is going to be my only avenue. I've got a few outlets I'm looking at, Crandle being one of them. I will say I'm also concerned about my cat, who has claws, potentially clawing the chair... Any idea on the resilience?

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
I had seen their reviews for many chairs I'd been looking at. I think buying a used Aeron is going to be my only avenue. I've got a few outlets I'm looking at, Crandle being one of them. I will say I'm also concerned about my cat, who has claws, potentially clawing the chair... Any idea on the resilience?

Sorry, no pets around me to really know for sure. The pellicle mesh fabric is a strong material that suspends weight up to 400 lbs without stretching or losing tension, but not so sure how it holds up against sharp objects. I'd have to assume it won't do so well against cat claws either. Honestly, I don't think any office seating material, be it fabric, hard plastic, leather or mesh will be resilient enough to withstand clawing.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
I like how Crandall furniture remanufactures chairs. What other outlets are you looking at?

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Eighteen years ago, I bought a Herman Miller Aeron. It cost me £1k. I am sitting comfortably in it now. Money well spent. I would have gone through four lesser chairs in that time.

Last edited:

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
About one year sitting in my Steelcase Gesture now.
Best investment I've done in a loooong time, people at the office were wondering why the fuck I would spend that much money on a chair.
By now after months of working from home, two of said coworkers asked me what I got and where I got it.

Had some onset back problem before the purchase and now it got a lot better.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
I like how Crandall furniture remanufactures chairs. What other outlets are you looking at?
Madison is one I had looked at. Just looking for decent quality and price. I won't budge on quality though and Madison has had many red flags. What did you end up getting from Crandall? They seem like genuine folks.

Sorry, no pets around me to really know for sure. The pellicle mesh fabric is a strong material that suspends weight up to 400 lbs without stretching or losing tension, but not so sure how it holds up against sharp objects. I'd have to assume it won't do so well against cat claws either. Honestly, I don't think any office seating material, be it fabric, hard plastic, leather or mesh will be resilient enough to withstand clawing.
I've got a beautiful 20lb Norwegian Forest Cat who has probably more reign over the house than she should, but we got her when she was about 6 and she wasn't receptive of learning new manners. Thanks for the feedback. I'll see what options I have and whether it's worth the risk.

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
If you're near a major city, consider going through a reseller.

Lots of companies will liquidate their office equipment when they go bankrupt. I picked up an Aeron for $400 in the Bay Area without any issues.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
Madison is one I had looked at. Just looking for decent quality and price. I won't budge on quality though and Madison has had many red flags. What did you end up getting from Crandall? They seem like genuine folks.

I need to look around some more, but I might get a remanufactured Steelcase Leap v2 from Crandall Office. They rebuild the chair, reapolster and include a 12 year warranty.

Oct 27, 2017
+1 for Steelcase Gesture. Expensive but I'm worth it and it's worth it. (I'm sure other good options are also lovely. I picked it over competitors because of that nice blue fabric!)

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Buggy Loop where did you get the freedom?

Réseau-Bureautique in Montréal. Stock come and go though, you can always advise a local place like this to put you on a list if a specific chair interests you. They had a bunch of them, including Herman Miller Aeron, but the Freedom imo is just something else, it's really ergonomic, but also looks like nothing else around.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Réseau-Bureautique in Montréal. Stock come and go though, you can always advise a local place like this to put you on a list if a specific chair interests you. They had a bunch of them, including Herman Miller Aeron, but the Freedom imo is just something else, it's really ergonomic, but also looks like nothing else around.

thanks. Unfortunately, none in Toronto second hand. I'll keep an eye out. I still haven't picked up a Leap or Arron yet. Still want an Embody though lol.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Huge disappointment. It's a more expensive HM Embody.
you were seriously expecting it to be cheaper lol? both companies need their cut

looks like the chair is officially out.

Embody Gaming Chair – Herman Miller

Shop Embody Gaming Chair and see our wide selection of Gaming Chairs at Herman Miller. In stock, exclusive, and ready to ship – authentic modern furniture from iconic designers.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
you were seriously expecting it to be cheaper lol? both companies need their cut

looks like the chair is officially out.

Embody Gaming Chair – Herman Miller

Shop Embody Gaming Chair and see our wide selection of Gaming Chairs at Herman Miller. In stock, exclusive, and ready to ship – authentic modern furniture from iconic designers.

I was just hoping the collaboration would have produced something custom in the $800 range. Good ergonomics chairs that are accessible to more people would have been nice.

Baby steps I guess.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
Figured I would share some of my research.

I focused on Steelcase because they are offered as full refurb and 12 year warranty. Herman Miller is available around $500 with 2-3 year warranties.

BTOD
  • 5% coupon code: SIZZLE
  • Free Shipping
Steel Case Leap v2 - $519

Our refurbished Leap chairs come with brand new aftermarket OEM quality wheels, arm pads and gas cylinders that are manufactured for BTOD.com. The original foam is revitalized through a steam cleaning process that helps to return the cushions to their original shape. To improve the overall seat comfort, each chair has 1/2" high density foam added beneath the original seat pad. The Leap chair is then upholstered in brand new commercial grade fabric. The original mechanism has been re-lubricated and inspected, verifying that it is in perfect working order.

We back our refurbished chairs with a 12 year warranty that includes a 400 lbs. capacity. This warranty covers the entire chair from manufacturer defects for a period of twelve years.

Crandall Office
  • 5% Coupon code after signing up for newsletter
  • Custom Options Available (Fabric/Stool Kit/Heavy Duty Cylinder)
  • Free Shipping

Steel Case Leap v1 - $399
Steel Case Leap v2 - $499

All Crandall Office Furniture Remanufactured Steelcase V1 Leap Chairs come with the following:

• New Casters
  • New Gas Cylinder
  • New Arm Pads (made in the USA)
  • New Fabric or Vinyl
  • Industry-Leading 12 Year Warranty

Last edited:

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
For folks with enough budget, Herman Miller currently has a 15% off + Free Shipping deal right now thru 7/26. Unsurprisingly, the newly announced Embody HM x Logitech collab. is exempt from this offer. However, the non-Logitech branded Embody is 15% off.

Home Office Chairs – Herman Miller Store

Shop ergonomic office chairs, iconic mid-century modern desk chairs, drafting stools, and more at Herman Miller.

Benefits of going new are: 12 year manufacturer warranty, ability to customize options and design (i.e., polished aluminum vs. powder coat paint, different color fabric), and no risk of stench or wear/tear from prior ownership.

Last edited:

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh this Aeron chair sucks ass. You can't move the arms at all. No tilt control apparently means no tilt lock at all, the plastic rim is NOT comfortable.
boo on this chair