• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm 6'4 250. I have struggled to find good chairs. Even the big and tall chairs I have tried have been mostly garbage. Having chair I am using now is doing ok once I stopped using the stupid back pillow. But the head rest is way too low because if my height. My biggest issue is nicer chairs people rave about never sit high enough. Anyone got big and tall chair or hell even desk recommendations? Finding tall desks is a pain in the ass too.
Im an inch shorter and 10 lbs lighter. Im reaching the conclusion that there isnt anything for us. We have some of the larger Aeron chair options at work and even trying out different adjustments for weeks at a time doesnt lead to any comfort.

The universal suggestion to spend more money is bullshit.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
it costs $1000 but it lasts 25 years and doesn't lead to potential medical issues from improper posture or other back issues, it's absolutely worth it in my opinion

plenty of chairs that cost less than can do 98% of what the $1000+ chairs can do plus there are plenty of furniture resellers where you can get a lot of these chairs for 40% MSRP

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Meh, i use the homall chair for $100 and it works fine for me for the most part but i only sit at that chair for a couple hours a day with breaks

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ikea's Markus is probably 99% as good as these overpriced chairs, just go with that. I've never had a better chair.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
For those concerned about the price, you may be able to find a used one from companies that deal with office furniture for companies and corporations. Companies that die, or companies that do renovations offload a lot of perfectly good equipment onto retailers that then resell them at a much lower price.

Thats where I got mine, at a steep discount (~200 for a thousand dollar chair, in basically perfect condition).

EDIT: Ikea's Markus chair sucks. Its uncomfortable and nothing can be adjusted. Does not compare to high end office chairs.

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
how comfortable would be a gamer chair for work?

I have a markus for studying and all.. I really dont feel its as confortable as people say, I cant stay sitting too long on it too. its like no chair fit me.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a Secret Labs Titan a few weeks, ago it's on a different level to the basic bitch chairs I was using before.
how long did yours take to ship? I just ordered a softweave omega yestreday but the preorder says 8/26 :/

had an aeron at work, disliked the mesh and the hard front lip. Currently sitting in a used Steelcase Leap V2 but idk if the cushion has been worn down or its just that thin but it isnt comfortable sitting in it for hours on end. Will try my luck with a secret labs chair

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Here is the herman miller size/weight chart for the Aeron brand of chairs:

0001_2__35129.1588856573.jpg

These chairs will force you to sit properly mostly. So you wouldnt have to worry about your tailbone as you cant exactly slouch (and be comfortable) in the chair. You can tilt back tho.
Going to ask if there is an image reference for Size A, A&B, B, B&C, and C?

I feel like I'm in the Size A or B category, but I have a hard time imagining myself what chairs would look like for Size A&B.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Secretlab wrongfully get thrown in to the racer chair nonsense category.

Got a Softweave Omega at Christmas and it's the most comfortable chair I've ever used, without completely breaking the bank.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Ikea's Markus is probably 99% as good as these overpriced chairs, just go with that. I've never had a better chair.
There are plenty of people here that will tell you otherwise, including the OP.

Going to ask if there is an image reference for Size A, A&B, B, B&C, and C?

I feel like I'm in the Size A or B category, but I have a hard time imagining myself what chairs would look like for Size A&B.
Not super scientific, but
6wAyWD6.png

Here are the measurements I pulled from the site:
bqUKZWM.png

From my personal experience, if you're right in the middle of two sizes, go up unless you really prefer the snug fit.

Edit: The most important measurement for comfort imo is seat depth, the measurement on the top in the sideview. Sit on your couch in your most snug, comfortable way and measure how far into the cushion you're in. I'd use that as a general guideline.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
what interesting timing. I was just about to look at a $400 Aeron locally at a local shop. will be putting its hydraulics though the paces and checking it for damage and age. If it's good, it'll be coming home.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a gaming chair that eventually sucked to sit in, my back hurt like hell. Once quarantine started and I knew I was going to be at home for quite a while, I went to an office warehouse in Chicago. Got to try a huge selection of chairs out, which they offered a one year warranty and if you went with a refurbished chair, they have a 10 year warranty no questions asked.

Ended up choosing a Steelcase Leap v2 that was refurbished. This is the most comfortable chair I've ever owned and I can sit in it for most of the day, no back problems what so ever. I ended up paying a 3rd of the retail price and didn't get stuck with a smelly Craigslist chair. If you have a similar type of wholesale office warehouse, go that route. It will save you headaches and money.

41n3lawzElL._AC_.jpg

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
There is really no downside to getting a size C Aeron as a medium-sized person, I'm 6'2" average weight and it's perfect.

Orion514

Oct 25, 2018
Illinois
I've tried both Aeron type C and Steelcase Leap v2 and didn't like either one of them. I'm on the overweight side though, 5'11" 280lbs. Aeron seat pan cut into the outside of my legs and the Leap v2 didn't have enough padding on the back and hurt after about an hour or less. I never ended up trying others because my FedEx guy already hated my guts after having to deliver and send back each of them lmao.

I wish I had sellers around my area (Central IL) that I could go in and try before I buy, but there are none that sell these expensive ones. I wanted to try Herman Miller Embody, but too afraid to just order on a whim in case I'm not right for that either. le sigh

EDIT: Oh, I also used to have a Secret Lab Titan chair and sold it. The cushion padding was the most firm shit I had ever sat on and didnt really break in after a year of use. It was bought in 2017 or so though before they were more well known; I've heard good things nowadays, so maybe they changed their cushion materials and they are better now? Anyway, that's my experience there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to verify that this is the remastered version that has a higher weight limit?
Good question. Not entirely sure, but going by this video, it seems those particular ones I showed were classic. My experience with their ebay storefront has shown me that those were all classics as well.

nillarilla

Feb 10, 2019
I recently got a used Herman Miller Mirra for $200 - I thought it was a good deal but the hard back has been killing my shoulders... I kind of regret it

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
For those looking for Aeron Remastered at discount prices, check your local Craigslist listing. You might find a local office furniture liquidator that carry them.

Do note that Remastered is more expensive than the Classic model since they are new (introduced in 2016), and condition is generally like-new.

And since Aerons use mesh material for support, there are no issues with flattened/aged cushion material or musky smell from years of abuse by flatulent folks :-). What you need to check for are hydrolics and seat adjustment mechanics.

Most furniture resellers will encourage you to come in and try them out on site to make sure the size and fit is right for you. That's how I got my Aeron Classic.

In my area, Remastered can be had for $700 - $850 for a fully optioned version. No frills version, which I don't see any at the moment, I believe is around $500.

Either way, these chairs are built like tanks and should last you for decades with proper care. Consider it an investment. They also have high resale value, are generally in high demand, and can be offloaded quickly if you need to move or no longer need it. OEM service parts and third party aftermarket/replacement parts are also readily available.

In case you haven't noticed, I can't recommend these chairs enough :-)

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
If you think a good chair is expensive - wait till u see a chiropractor's bills :)

Investing in a good chair is totally worth it

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've got a cap of $250, anyone got chairs they can recommend to me that are more budget oriented?

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to get the IKEA Markus but they don't ship it seems and there's not one close to me, anybody know where I can get something ?

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I had a gaming chair that eventually sucked to sit in, my back hurt like hell. Once quarantine started and I knew I was going to be at home for quite a while, I went to an office warehouse in Chicago. Got to try a huge selection of chairs out, which they offered a one year warranty and if you went with a refurbished chair, they have a 10 year warranty no questions asked.

Ended up choosing a Steelcase Leap v2 that was refurbished. This is the most comfortable chair I've ever owned and I can sit in it for most of the day, no back problems what so ever. I ended up paying a 3rd of the retail price and didn't get stuck with a smelly Craigslist chair. If you have a similar type of wholesale office warehouse, go that route. It will save you headaches and money.

41n3lawzElL._AC_.jpg

interested on the leap v2 but i never tried it currently im using an old aeron chair with the basic lumbar support buying a more advance lumbar support would cost me 120+ usd thinking maybe i could just buy another chair and put my aeron permanently at my home

anyone tried both chair?
P_20200705_154245.jpg

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i just put in my order for an autonomous ergochair 2. created an account during checkout and my order history shows my order placed today as well as another one placed on july 2. but i just created my account today and i know for sure i didnt order one on july 2. weird. and im just now seeing customer service complaints all over their facebook posts, reddit, and even the bbb. oh boy.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
interested on the leap v2 but i never tried it currently im using an old aeron chair with the basic lumbar support buying a more advance lumbar support would cost me 120+ usd

I have an older Aeron chair with what I guess is what you describe as advanced lumbar support -- there's a bar and pad going down to the bottom of the chair -- and I gotta say it does so much to avoid lower back pain when working in it for a long time. I'm 6 foot, for reference.

Has anyone tried the Humanscale Liberty chair? I know tech founder DHH swears by it.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
A quality desk chair is absolutely worth the investment. Don't buy a gaming chair, buy an office chair.

Herman Miller is excellent. They periodically do free shipping + 15% off sales. You can shave a couple hundred bucks off that way.

maks

Oct 27, 2017
interested on the leap v2 but i never tried it currently im using an old aeron chair with the basic lumbar support buying a more advance lumbar support would cost me 120+ usd thinking maybe i could just buy another chair and put my aeron permanently at my home

anyone tried both chair?
P_20200705_154245.jpg

The ergonomics team at my workplace provides the Leap for those of us with bad backs. The standard chair was the Aeron before we did an office remodel last year. After remodel the standard chair is now Allsteel Acuity.

My co-worker and i both feel better on the Leap over the Aeron and Acuity. It doesnt look as nice as other chairs but it does its job well.

KeyboardThug

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have a US referral code for secret labs? Thinking about getting one because of the recommendations for the chairs here.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have an older Aeron chair with what I guess is what you describe as advanced lumbar support -- there's a bar and pad going down to the bottom of the chair -- and I gotta say it does so much to avoid lower back pain when working in it for a long time. I'm 6 foot, for reference.

Has anyone tried the Humanscale Liberty chair? I know tech founder DHH swears by it.

yea likely that one.. as for humanscale no clue about it

The ergonomics team at my workplace provides the Leap for those of us with bad backs. The standard chair was the Aeron before we did an office remodel last year. After remodel the standard chair is now Allsteel Acuity.

My co-worker and i both feel better on the Leap over the Aeron and Acuity. It doesnt look as nice as other chairs but it does its job well.

great ! gonna get a leap v2 then and decide which one i'm going to put at my room.. as this aeron was my office chair

I ended up using soapy water and Florida sunshine + some Pledge on the plastic and arm rests. Looks like new.

Having trouble positioning the lumbar support thing.

glad it worked out.. as for lumbar is it the same one I have? Or the more advance one

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
how long did yours take to ship? I just ordered a softweave omega yestreday but the preorder says 8/26 :/

had an aeron at work, disliked the mesh and the hard front lip. Currently sitting in a used Steelcase Leap V2 but idk if the cushion has been worn down or its just that thin but it isnt comfortable sitting in it for hours on end. Will try my luck with a secret labs chair

My Secret Labs Titan just turned up first thing this morning, full two weeks earlier than they estimated. Super stoked with it. Everything about it down to the packaging is quality, and it's most comfortable chair I've sat in in a long time. Saying that as someones who's used a lot of high end corporate ergonomic chairs Super happy with it.

Definitely shouldn't be lumped into the gamer chair category.

Will see how it goes over time, but as of now I'm really chuffed with it.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Anyone who thinks it isn't worth to invest on good chair is wrong. If you spent a lot of your time on that thing then it is better to invest properly on it.

Same things with beds and pillows. Your body will thank you later.

beat

Oct 28, 2017
People have already said what I would say about the value of high end office chairs, so I won't repeat them.

I will say that your chair should be set so you have a comfortable angle to your keyboard and your monitor should be at the ergonomically correct height too. You can get a keyboard tray to lower the keyboard, and/or plunk the monitor on some phone books or something. Or get a monitor arm.

And then if the chair and keyboard and monitor are all at the right height but your feet aren't comfortably flat on the floor, get a footrest. Humanscale makes some nice but expensive ones — they can go for a much more reasonable price secondhand.

Aside from that, you do need to try to have good posture at the desk, do exercises (as people have already said) and maybe look into getting a foam roller too.

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking at chairs on and off for the last year. Thanks to this thread I finally made the decision to really buy one. Ended up getting a HM Aeron.

I've been using a dining chair at the home office for the last 3 years, so it will be a big upgrade when it comes in by the end of the week.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I had a few questions. I am not particularly tall (5'11 and change) but am worried that a lower back chair like the Aeron will perpetuate problems I am having for the last few years with neck strain - my neck sort of juts forward in a really weird angle, and when I lean back if I have no support to sort of...meld back into the chair, I end up holding my neck at an even worse position. Lately my neck and upper back have been cramping and even getting quite a bit of joint popping and the like. I am deciding between one of the recertified Aerons from Madison seating or a new Secretlabs and would love some input on either. Most important thing for me is full back/neck support, something I can lean back into as I sit in the same chair for work and gaming and work from home - so 10-12 hours daily (which kinda sucks.)

Thanks!

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018

I bought the Freedom recently and love it. Haven't tried the Liberty.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I had a few questions. I am not particularly tall (5'11 and change) but am worried that a lower back chair like the Aeron will perpetuate problems I am having for the last few years with neck strain - my neck sort of juts forward in a really weird angle, and when I lean back if I have no support to sort of...meld back into the chair, I end up holding my neck at an even worse position. Lately my neck and upper back have been cramping and even getting quite a bit of joint popping and the like. I am deciding between one of the recertified Aerons from Madison seating or a new Secretlabs and would love some input on either. Most important thing for me is full back/neck support, something I can lean back into as I sit in the same chair for work and gaming and work from home - so 10-12 hours daily (which kinda sucks.)

Thanks!

I am not familiar nor have used one before, but there appears to be an aftermarket headrest attachment for the Aeron.

m.youtube.com

Review of Updated Atlas Headrest for Herman Miller Aeron Chair

More info US: http://amzn.to/2xQUUft More info UK: http://amzn.to/2f6NFIS More info CAN: http://amzn.to/2eNfEjM In this video I review the updated Atlas Head...

Not even sure if this is what's needed to solve the unique issue you have, but Something worth looking into. Also may want to check with a chiropractor or some doctor for advice.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks!

My unexpert opinion is that if your neck is in a strained position and your upper back is tweaked/sore, it's because the rest of your setup (desk, keyboard, screen) is not ergonomically aligned with your head and arms. A lot of people in this thread have been talking about head support, but it's really unnecessary; the important part is lower back support, as you should be sitting straight with your core muscles supporting that position. An Aeron chair with lower back support will help you maintain an ergonomic posture, not make it worse. (I have one and I'm a bit over 6 foot)

ergonomic-desk-outline.jpg

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I am not familiar nor have used one before, but there appears to be an aftermarket headrest attachment for the Aeron.

m.youtube.com

Review of Updated Atlas Headrest for Herman Miller Aeron Chair

More info US: http://amzn.to/2xQUUft More info UK: http://amzn.to/2f6NFIS More info CAN: http://amzn.to/2eNfEjM In this video I review the updated Atlas Head...

Not even sure if this is what's needed to solve the unique issue you have, but Something worth looking into. Also may want to check with a chiropractor or some doctor for advice.
The Markus looks like it has the high back support I am looking for, but see many conflicting reviews here about that....Maybe the best intermediate option for the price?

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
My unexpert opinion is that if your neck is in a strained position and your upper back is tweaked/sore, it's because the rest of your setup (desk, keyboard, screen) is not ergonomically aligned with your head and arms. A lot of people in this thread have been talking about head support, but it's really unnecessary; the important part is lower back support, as you should be sitting straight with your core muscles supporting that position. An Aeron chair with lower back support will help you maintain an ergonomic posture, not make it worse. (I have one and I'm a bit over 6 foot)

ergonomic-desk-outline.jpg
I don't know if this is bad posture/habits from me, or the chair or desk setup, but my middle of my core ( I am not heavy, in pretty good shape) kind of falls forward? Makes a C shape? when I sit and type and do any pc gaming. I have a feeling my desk setup (Ikea thingy) and where everything is located probably affects this a lot, but if I raise my chair so I look more down rather than straight at my monitor it makes my feet dangle a bit and that increases leg/foot discomfort? Part o the problem is how long I sit here daily. Maybe I should post a pic of my setup?

Thanks!

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

anyone tried both chair?
P_20200705_154245.jpg
My old office had Areons, I'm not a big fan of the mesh or the sloped seat edge.

I have a leap v1 and v2 at home and love both of them. The v1 looks older but the seat has more butt padding lol, it's my daily driver at my work desk

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this is bad posture/habits from me, or the chair or desk setup, but my middle of my core ( I am not heavy, in pretty good shape) kind of falls forward? Makes a C shape? when I sit and type and do any pc gaming. I have a feeling my desk setup (Ikea thingy) and where everything is located probably affects this a lot, but if I raise my chair so I look more down rather than straight at my monitor it makes my feet dangle a bit and that increases leg/foot discomfort? Part o the problem is how long I sit here daily. Maybe I should post a pic of my setup?

Thanks!

If you're sitting in a C shape that certainly explains some of the back issues you've been having, as your vertebrae are being compressed and some muscles are probably being strained. I've found that while the chair is there to help support your posture, at the end of the day I have to be cognizant of how I'm sitting and not slouching. Taking breaks and stretching out your back (yoga, toe touches) also helps. On the dangling feet issue, some people use footrests so that might be an option for you. On the raising your chair issue, one of the most important things is having it at a level with your desk so that your arms are mostly 90º to your torso. In my setup the top of my monitor is probably an inch below my eyeline, and my chair arms are just below the desk. That way I can maintain a straight posture without contorting my neck or arms. I would imagine you would want to lower your monitor rather than raise your chair, but maybe that can point you in the right direction.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Thanks to this thread and looking at other reviews I've been eyeing a Steelcase Leap v2, but I'm torn on what route I go:

Route A: Craigslist. Pros: cheaper ($300ish or as low as $175 if I opt for a v1). Cons: No warranty or support after purchase. Not new, so I can only assume other people's fart ghosts are trapped in the fabric.

Route B: Gray market dealer a la Madison Seating. Pros: Still cheaper than new. Warranty support from retailer. Cons: More expensive than CL for an also used chair. Unauthorized dealer (so no warranty from Steelcase) with hit or miss reviews.

Route C: Brand new. Pros: Lifetime Warranty, brand new. Cons: Expensive as shit.

I've done so much research that I think I'm beginning to overthink things. But I'm also starting to wonder if maybe there are other chairs I haven't considered like the Ergo posted earlier. A chair like that is one I could easily purchase new so long as it was pretty decent.