• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to test out some nice office chairs in-store before I make a decision, but it doesn't seem like I'll be able to safely do that for at least a few months. I use an Aeron at work that definitely helps prevent injury, but it's also not very comfortable.

I'm pretty thin, and the Steelcase Leap V2 looks a bit more comfy with the fabric cushion instead of the Aeron's mesh. Maybe someone here has used both and can provide a comparison?

I've owned both the aeron and leap v2. I think the mesh seat of the aeron is not only more comfortable, but also better during warmer months. The leap has foam cushioning, but i wouldn't say its plush or anything like that. If anything, the aeron has more give. The only advantage ill give the leap is that the armrests are more customizeable. they go up and down, pivot in and out, and go wide/narrow whereas the aeron goes up/down and pivots in and out.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
I've owned both the aeron and leap v2. I think the mesh seat of the aeron is not only more comfortable, but also better during warmer months. The leap has foam cushioning, but i wouldn't say its plush or anything like that. If anything, the aeron has more give. The only advantage ill give the leap is that the armrests are more customizeable. they go up and down, pivot in and out, and go wide/narrow whereas the aeron goes up/down and pivots in and out.
Ok thanks so much for your reply! You've definitely helped me. I certainly want a chair with a bit more give in the seat area—something that doesn't make me feel like I'm sitting on a hard floor after several hours. The ventilation that mesh provides is something I should also consider, although I will say I feel cold most days of the year.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I work from home so adjustments and comfort at my desk is super important. How many hours do you spend sitting in that chair?

Then take into consideration how many years a good chair lasts OP. Its.... not as bad as you make it seem. You'll probably go through 3 TV's in your front room before a well made chair has to go.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
The smaller Herman Miller Setu is the most comfortable office chair I've ever sat in. I've been wanting to get one for a long time. I don't find big office chair comfortable.

Setu Chair

The Setu guest chair delivers instant comfort by responding to your weight and movements from the moment you sit.

MemoSan

Jan 15, 2020
Mexico
Since a few weeks working from Home, I can tell you that probably that much money is really worth it, this could be more comfortable.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I have the Amazon Basics chair. Doesn't really have good support, unfortunately.

However, the thing that's been helping my posture is the standing desk and balancing board that I bought. I think that was the best purchase I've made in a while.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm inching closer and closer to buying a used aeron for around 400 bones...

Thanks guys. This is helping.

Fatagnus

Dec 24, 2017
www.officedepot.com

WorkPro Quantum 9000 Series Ergonomic MeshMesh Mid Back Chair BlackBlack BIFMA Compliant - Office Depot

As your productivity heats up you can stay cool on this WorkPro Quantum 9000 Series Mesh Mid Back Chair. The adjustable office chairs mesh back and seat help promote airflow to keep you comfortable when answering e mails meeting with co workers and handling day to day duties. The lumbar on the...

Great Herman Miller knockoff chair. Not exactly cheap, but not stupid expensive either. Bought it in 2014 still holding up well except the armrest material is starting to come apart but part of that is my fault for stuffing a headphone cord in the seam lol. Bought some upgraded screws from the hardware store to put it together instead of using the thread strippers it comes with. No problems with my arms, back, or neck. Not suggesting it is as high quality as a Herman Miller, but for the price you can't complain.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
I'm inching closer and closer to buying a used aeron for around 400 bones...

Thanks guys. This is helping.

I also want to reiterate that my Aeron has thus far put in 20 or so years of service. it was already 8 years old or so when i acquired it, and i had it for 13. Now, in that time ive had to replace a seat pan, casters, and armpads but none of those parts cost me more than 50 bucks each and I fixed it myself. (easy) And it's STILL in use at my sister's house, although it's getting close to the end of its life.

That's some pretty good value. Way better than the 2 or 3 years you get out of a 200 dollar office depot piece of shit. Like another poster said, you will go through 3 or 4 TVs in your living room in the time that you own ONE of these chairs. It really is 'buy it for life'.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
Thread pushed me to finally pull the trigger on a Herman Miller Aeron. Bought one refurbished on eBay. Got the chair with lumbar support since it was only $50 more. Ended up costing me total $450. Will receive it by the 2nd. Looking forward to retiring the old gaming chair I've had for 8 years!

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
My company is reimbursing us for up to 500 dollars for getting stuff to improve our home office (we can spend more than that, but it won't be reimbursed beyond the 500).

I've had the same cheap computer chair for 9 years now and I've been desperately wanting to upgrade before now, and this is the perfect opportunity.

I'm currently leaning toward getting a refurbished Herman Miller Aeron, but I only have a few days to make the purchase and submit the expenses, and I need an itemized receipt from a merchant. Ebay or Amazon would work for that, right? Should I go the Ebay route like some people in this thread suggested? What tends to be the quality of the refurbished chairs? Does this seems like a look link to buy it at? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Herman-Mil...sh=item1c62210667:g:1QwAAOSwKtVWzy63#viTabs_0

EDIT: Just texted my manager, and he said I should pretty easily be able to expense the receipt from Madison on Ebay. Hell's yeah.

Last edited:

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
The smaller Herman Miller Setu is the most comfortable office chair I've ever sat in. I've been wanting to get one for a long time. I don't find big office chair comfortable.

Setu Chair

The Setu guest chair delivers instant comfort by responding to your weight and movements from the moment you sit.

I have one at home. It's wonderful.
I was very twitchy spending that kind of money, naturally, but if you can afford it on paper just go for it.

I love that the first post of this thread is trying to shit on hm chairs, but in the following pages more and more people are picking one up for themselves.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
My company is reimbursing us for up to 500 dollars for getting stuff to improve our home office (we can spend more than that, but it won't be reimbursed beyond the 500).

I've had the same cheap computer chair for 9 years now and I've been desperately wanting to upgrade before now, and this is the perfect opportunity.

I'm currently leaning toward getting a refurbished Herman Miller Aeron, but I only have a few days to make the purchase and submit the expenses, and I need an itemized receipt from a merchant. Ebay or Amazon would work for that, right? Should I go the Ebay route like some people in this thread suggested? What tends to be the quality of the refurbished chairs? Does this seems like a look link to buy it at? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Herman-Mil...sh=item1c62210667:g:1QwAAOSwKtVWzy63#viTabs_0

EDIT: Just texted my manager, and he said I should pretty easily be able to expense the receipt from Madison on Ebay. Hell's yeah.

Another option is to go the local Craigslist route. I got a mostly fully loaded (talking options here) Aeron Classic in mint condition for $300

I also had the chance to sit in it to make sure the size and fit was perfect for my height/weight (note: there are three sizes).

Something to consider.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Another option is to go the local Craigslist route. I got a mostly fully loaded (talking options here) Aeron Classic in mint condition for $300

I also had the chance to sit in it to make sure the size and fit was perfect for my height/weight (note: there are three sizes).

Something to consider.

It has to be from a vendor, or else I won't be able to expense it.

Since people have talked about it in this thread, I'm probably going to go the Madison route.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
I have one at home. It's wonderful.
I was very twitchy spending that kind of money, naturally, but if you can afford it on paper just go for it.

I love that the first post of this thread is trying to shit on hm chairs, but in the following pages more and more people are picking one up for themselves.

we have them at my last job in the conference room and I found them more comfortable than my HM desk chair. I will get one soon.

and yeah with everyone working from home nowadays, it makes sense to want the best chair possible

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
how is the Flintan ?
I really like it, I feel like the Markus' cushion was in the way, and the Flintan one wasn't.
That's just me trying them out at an ikea however, mileage may vary.
The only issue I have is that the default position of the back is too far forward, but leaving it on "moving" fixes that.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
and they're all still uncomfortable...

It's like man was not made to sit all day... which is unfortunate cause that's what I like doing...

T.Slothrop

Jan 21, 2018
Thread pushed me to finally pull the trigger on a Herman Miller Aeron. Bought one refurbished on eBay. Got the chair with lumbar support since it was only $50 more. Ended up costing me total $450. Will receive it by the 2nd. Looking forward to retiring the old gaming chair I've had for 8 years!

Great move. The refurbished Aerons are the way to go. There are a ton of them out there and generally in really good shape because a business closed down or refreshed them with a more recent model.

I got one myself for about the same price and it's been worth every penny.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
All's good as long as you can expense it :)

Bought it over the weekend and submitted the receipt. Just got an email that the expense was approved! Yay! Hopefully I'll get getting the money soon, haha.

Working from home fulltime due to Covid has made me realize just how awful my current chair is.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Bought it over the weekend and submitted the receipt. Just got an email that the expense was approved! Yay! Hopefully I'll get getting the money soon, haha.

Working from home fulltime due to Covid has made me realize just how awful my current chair is.

Nice!

I also expensed a separate work desk (didn't have a proper desk suitable for work...), keyboard/mice, XXL mouse mat, ink cartridge, and paper. Get them essentials covered!

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I was fortunate enough to get a very sweet deal on a 2nd hand Herman Miller Aeron chair locally. It is the best chair I have ever sat on at a desk. It makes sitting straight easy for me instead of buckling forwards. It actually made me enjoy gaming at my PC with Mouse and Keyboard even more than before. It is the older model so I can't directly compare it to the newer versions of the Aeron, but it is really damn good.

But the price for a new one is extremely steep and I am not sure if it is worth it compared to cheaper alternatives when your monetary situation is tight. I could've never afforded a new Aeron so I decided to look for used ones and I would buy it again for that price.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I was fortunate enough to get a very sweet deal on a 2nd hand Herman Miller Aeron chair locally. It is the best chair I have ever sat on at a desk. It makes sitting straight easy for me instead of buckling forwards. It actually made me enjoy gaming at my PC with Mouse and Keyboard even more than before. It is the older model so I can't directly compare it to the newer versions of the Aeron, but it is really damn good.

But the price for a new one is extremely steep and I am not sure if it is worth it compared to cheaper alternatives when your monetary situation is tight. I could've never afforded a new Aeron so I decided to look for used ones and I would buy it again for that price.

Even if somebody could afford a new Aeron or Leap, I would still recommend they pick up a used one. These get dumped by failing startups so quickly and they are meant to last 15+ years, used ones are generally barely used. My friends and I have bought multiple chairs from Madison Seating, and the worst thing I've seen is a scratch on an armrest.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I just bought a Secret labs Omega chair for $359 and I think its changed my life, I realize now so many of my back problems are from sitting in shitty chairs. Its probably one of the most comfortable things I have sat in and its fairly firm

I have seen good things about Secret Labs chair and that price point is not too terrible.

The only others I found to consider are that have been mentioned in this thread:

Budget Option: IKEA Markus $199
Low 'High-End': Herman Miller Sayl $550-ish

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I have seen good things about Secret Labs chair and that price point is not too terrible.

The only others I found to consider are that have been mentioned in this thread:

Budget Option: IKEA Markus $199
Low 'High-End': Herman Miller Sayl $550-ish
I'm not a chair connesouir but it's really comfortable. Right now the omega is on sale for 359. I would say its worth it

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
For anyone wondering what the differences are between HM Aeron Classic and Aeron Remastered, the YT video below does a good job explaining it.

There are some pros and cons to each, but ultimately there're masterworks all, you can't go wrong.

youtu.be

Herman Miller Aeron Classic vs. Remastered: 8 Major Differences

► Aeron Comparison: Classic vs. Remastered: http://bit.ly/39flXmG ► Refurbished Aeron Classic at BTOD: http://bit.ly/35XUkwz ► See All 60+ Office Chair Resou...

Edit: linked to the correct video

Samawati

Sep 15, 2019
I just bought a Secret labs Omega chair for $359 and I think its changed my life, I realize now so many of my back problems are from sitting in shitty chairs. Its probably one of the most comfortable things I have sat in and its fairly firm
Yeah, I just pulled the trigger on one a few days ago (spending so much time inside with my shit chair with the peeling PU, one missing arm, and the crooked remaining one will do that I guess), and I'm hoping it wasn't a mistake. I'm sceptical of "gaming" chairs to begin with, but I'm getting to the age where my body feels like it fell out of a tenth storey window at times and my spine is like *accordion noises* every time I sit on shitty furniture.

All this hype about the Aeron is making wish I hadn't passed on it for the SLO, but for 500+ USD? Oof.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
There are "good" purchases and "bad" purchases. I think this falls under the good purchases section since it has major utility, lasts for a long time, and can be used for both work and pleasure.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
All this hype about the Aeron is making wish I hadn't passed on it for the SLO, but for 500+ USD? Oof.

FWIW, I picked mine up through Craigslist for $300 cash. It was loaded with options and in great condition. Price and availability may vary by region, but you should be able to find them in the $300 territory.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Because of this thread I just ordered a Steelcase Leap v2 from that Madison Seating website. I'm a big dude and the higher weight limit and super adjustable nature made me pick it over the Herman Miller.

It was a shitload cheaper than amazon but $350 is still a lot more than I've ever paid for an office chair.

Hopefully it works out.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Check Craigslist or Facebook marketplace for cheaper used ones in your area. Or just get a Markus.

Or be a pro cheapass like me and get a Markus on Craigslist.

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
I had a steelcase leap and it was phenomenal. Not sure where you live but in America you can do Craigslist and find Herman Miller and steelcase chairs cheap because offices shut down and then they sell the chairs. By cheap I mean $300 to $500

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Because of this thread I just ordered a Steelcase Leap v2 from that Madison Seating website. I'm a big dude and the higher weight limit and super adjustable nature made me pick it over the Herman Miller.

It was a shitload cheaper than amazon but $350 is still a lot more than I've ever paid for an office chair.

Hopefully it works out.

i would not have ordered a Leap from Madison. The refurbisher they use apparently skimps on the padding (i was not satisfied with mine) but i only paid 280ish during a sale so i just ate it and ordered another chair instead from the DWR outlet. Hope yours works out better.

Madison is great for Aerons, but for Steelcase not so much.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Herman Miller Aeron today and it is comfy as hell. Setting up the posturefit was a tad painful but after that this chair is amazing. I love the mesh feel. I got the bells and whistles Aeron from Madison (was an extra $100 and for an investment like this, that didn't seem like a big deal). Giving my old Gen Xer my old computer chair. It's not great by any measures but it's significantly better than her generic chair (she never had to work remote so her office space until a week ago was nonexistent).

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Got my Herman Miller Aeron today and it is comfy as hell. Setting up the posturefit was a tad painful but after that this chair is amazing. I love the mesh feel. I got the bells and whistles Aeron from Madison (was an extra $100 and for an investment like this, that didn't seem like a big deal). Giving my old Gen Xer my old computer chair. It's not great by any measures but it's significantly better than her generic chair (she never had to work remote so her office space until a week ago was nonexistent).

Congrats on the score. I've had mine for about a week now and it's been great. Super comfy and maintains great posture. And this thing is built like a tank (the Classics and not the newer Remastered) so I can tell it'll last me for years, if not decades, to come.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
Yeah. They be pricey. I'd look for a refurbished Herman Miller as $1300+ seems to be a bit much for you. I personally have a Herman Miller aeron. It's amazing. I can seriesously sit in it for hours and get up and feel exactly the same as I did before. Only downside is I had to buy a headrest for it which was another $150. But the reason why it doesn't have one is that it doesn't require one as it's supposed to make the chair less effective for your posture but oh I can say it was worth every penny. Seriously if you can afford a really nice chair you won't regret and if you buy a new Herman Miller they have a 12 year warranty as that's what made it worth it for me as if I was going to pay for a new office chair every couple years why not just get the best and call it a day.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
So I took you guys advice and I went and placed my order for a Green Herman Miller Aeron. ($449) "New". It also comes with a 10 year warranty which is fantastic.

"
[SUB]10 Year Warranty with Madison Seating Only "Free Return(Re-Boxed in Madison Seating's superior quality boxing)[/SUB]
"

That's crazy. Hopefully my back will be thanking me come the 27th.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
So I took you guys advice and I went and placed my order for a Green Herman Miller Aeron. ($449) "New". It also comes with a 10 year warranty which is fantastic.

That's crazy. Hopefully my back will be thanking me come the 27th.
My friend ordered a HM chair from Madison Seating. I think his conclusion is that it wasn't quite 100% like the real deal, but definitely close enough for 1/3-1/2 of the price. Either way, it'll be better than your average $100 chair. Hope you got the right size that fits you and the lumbar support.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
A good herman miller chair will last you your entire life and will have lasting design appeal. Compared to, say, spending $80-$150 every few years on some piece of shit that's bad for your body, uncomfortable, wears down, is cheaply made and you throw away.

It's not like there aren't a thousand knockoffs for $200. Buy one of those, then buy another one in 4 years, and another one and another one... Send all the old plastic ones to a landfill.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
My friend ordered a HM chair from Madison Seating. I think his conclusion is that it wasn't quite 100% like the real deal, but definitely close enough for 1/3-1/2 of the price. Either way, it'll be better than your average $100 chair. Hope you got the right size that fits you and the lumbar support.

HM chairs from Madison Seating ARE the real deal, though.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
HM chairs from Madison Seating ARE the real deal, though.
He claimed his chair may have used off-brand parts for some upgrades (armrests, back, and wheels), because his chair didn't look exactly like the current or past models on the HM website and didn't fit quite like it did at their showroom. I don't really have a horse in this race either way besides advocating for buying higher quality chairs in general.