• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
No armrests will screw up your shoulders beyond belief. You won't notice it coming on either, until one day you wake up with shoulder RSI.

My shoulders have never bugged me in 2 decades + of gaming, armrests wrecked my elbows in about a year, so at the very least I'll take that trade off.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I've been really happy with this chair from argos with fold up arms. It makes it much easier to get into a good seating position and lets me tuck away the chair too
I think that's because of the desk, not the chair.

Most chairs' arms will fit under a regular desk if you push the chair up close. Those are bumping into your desk because it has drawers and its top is thicker.

My shoulders have never bugged me in 2 decades + of gaming, armrests wrecked my elbows in about a year, so at the very least I'll take that trade off.

How in the world do armrests wreck your elbows?

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I think that's because of the desk, not the chair.

Most chairs' arms will fit under a regular desk if you push the chair up close. Those are bumping into your desk because it has drawers and its top is thicker.

How in the world do armrests wreck your elbows?

Maybe I slightly dug my elbows in subconsciously while playing? I'm not really sure, all I know is I got a new computer chair with armrests, and within a year I was experiencing tennis elbow I think they called it and it took 4-6 months of not using the chair and light use for pain in them to go away. Been armrest free ever since and havn't looked back (this was many years ago.)

joora

Oct 21, 2019
I have Steelcase Amia for the home office, and I'm pretty satisfied with it. Was aiming to get the Leap, but couldn't justify the 40% higher price.
Had it for 11 years, still going strong. Not a looker, but a nice chair to spend time in.

9625.jpg

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I've had one since December and don't have any major complaints. The built-in adjustable lumbar support is a million times better than those stupid pillows you get with every other gaming chair, and the fabric version is nice, shouldn't start disintegrating after 6 months like all the pleather ones do. I've had temporary (appearing suddenly, lasting an hour or two then disappearing) lower back pains maybe 3 or 4 times this year, but I don't think it's the chair. I've been working from home almost full-time for over a month now, I'd imagine I'd be in pain every day if it was that. The arms could be a bit more adjustable, but otherwise it's all good. Sitting on it for whole days on end hasn't been an issue (with obvious stand/walk around breaks at least once an hour).

That said, it's overall just fine, not incredible, so I wouldn't really say it's worth the high price. At 200 to 250 USD it'd be a good deal. It's pretty hard, if that's an issue. The fabric version I have also smelled like fucking death when I got it, like absolutely hardcore chemical smell, and I genuinely had to keep it outside for 2-3 weeks until I could sit on it for longer than 30 minutes without getting a headache. This also led me down a rabbit hole of SecretLabs impressions online and while I don't have any personal experience with them, their customer support seems to be complete, utter trash. The headrest pillow also sucks, it's too big and I've already had to sew it back together once cause it started to rip open from where the loop connects to the pillow.

In short, I think you'd be happy with it if you got one, but I'd suggest taking your 400 and going around trying "real" ergonomic office chairs first. If you don't find anything good, knock yourself out.

Thanks for the impressions. Sounds a bit disappointing comfort-wise. Does it seem as durable as advertised? The idea of having it last longer than other chairs is what really grabbed me.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
If you want something alright for a decent price, I use the Markus chair from Ikea and it's quite good. Granted, it isn't Herman Miller (I had one at a previous job, it was great) but for that price, it's quite good value.

www.ikea.com

MARKUS office chair, Vissle dark gray - IKEA CA

MARKUS office chair, Vissle dark gray This ergonomic office chair keeps you comfy and focused with features like a manually adjustable tilt tension, and head-/armrests to help relax the muscles in your neck and back. 10 year guarantee. 10-year Warranty. Read about the terms in the warranty brochure.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Seeing this thread pop up again just makes me remember how I don't like my like-new Herman Miller Arron that I got just last October. The seat is too small and I'm constantly slipping and finding it hard to sit comfortably. Was thinking of trading it in, but now it doesn't look like a good time to do that.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the impressions. Sounds a bit disappointing comfort-wise. Does it seem as durable as advertised? The idea of having it last longer than other chairs is what really grabbed me.

Well, it does feel very sturdy and the fabric used on the actual chair feels tough (but nice to the touch), so it definitely feels like it should last longer. Impossible to say how long the mechanisms will hold, obviously, but I could see this thing lasting for much longer than your typical pleather gaming chair for sure.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Seeing this thread pop up again just makes me remember how I don't like my like-new Herman Miller Arron that I got just last October. The seat is too small and I'm constantly slipping and finding it hard to sit comfortably. Was thinking of trading it in, but now it doesn't look like a good time to do that.

Did you get the right size for your body type?

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
Investing in a proper chair is a good idea though. You don't need to buy a designer/luxury product though as they are usually exorbitantly priced (which tbh is often exactly the opposite to what stood behind the design principles... that's another story though).

Anyways, consider the time you spent in that chair and pick one which actually is comfortable. You probably also pay a lot of money for smartphones or even consoles/pc parts which cost around the same as a chair but are not *that* important.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys, OP here. I have a question.

What if I am tall-ish? I am 6'2. And I was looking at Aeron chairs from Madison. Would the "B-type" chair for me for my height? Im mostly thinking of the lower back support. I notice they have a curve in them even without the adjustable lumbar support?

EDIT: nevermind. Thanks WBacon Really handy chart there.

I absolutely nailed it.
Oh Jesus Christ.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Hi guys, OP here. I have a question.

What if I am tall-ish? I am 6'2. And I was looking at Arron chairs from Madison. Would the "B-type" chair for me for my height? Im mostly thinking of the lower back support. I notice they have a curve in them even without the adjustable lumbar support?

Oh Jesus Christ.
See the seat size chart I posted above. It factors in weight and height.

EDIT: LOL, crossed streams. :)

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a Design Within Reach outlet near by they have cheap Aerons for days. I am Embody curious however.

I bought my Embody last week from the DWR outlet ebay store. It was described as New/Open Box so I assumed it was a return or a sample.

What i got was an unopened chair - literally shipped in the same box it came from herman miller in, still sealed, and inside still had all of the tags and protective wraps on all the corners and casters. The price? 850 USD AFTER tax. about 1/2 the price of a new one, simply because someone returned it or it was a spare in an order. wow.

We have a DWR showroom here in midtown atlanta and over the course of 3 years, i sat in the Embody like 10 times probably, but talked myself out of it every time.

I have an Embody and completely honest, it's maybe the best grand i've ever spent. It's not an extremely comfortable chair, but it's extremely anti-fatiguing. Once you dial it in and fit it to your body, It suspends your ass and back in a way that you don't experience any discomfort that comes with spending hours or even an entire day sitting in a chair. It's completely worth the $1000 if you spend a lot of time seated at a computer or work from home.

Yeah. I bought an aeron off CL back in 2007 and sat on it for 13 years before finally giving up on it (it was already 10 years old when i bought it) - i had replaced a bunch of stuff on the chair but the mesh and cylinder were starting to give so i gave it away. It was awesome for a long time though. About 3 years i started getting Embody-curious. I tried to make do with a cheap refurb steelcase leap v2 but ended up hating its lack of padding. The Embody is so much nicer!

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish I had money right now to buy a new chair, especially since someone mentioned the DWR Outlet to get a "cheap" Aeron.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Then what should I look for then because every office chair I've been getting has not been great. I want one that's really soft because I have no ass.
I've read good feedback about the Quantum 9000 at Office Depot. If you can head out and have an Office Depot nearby, you could even try a floor demo unit (though not sure how good of an idea that is with the whole virus situation going on)

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
With the likelihood of business going bankrupt during this crisis, there's a fairly good chance you'll see used office chairs on sale soon enough for better prices.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I just bought a Secret labs Omega chair for $359 and I think its changed my life, I realize now so many of my back problems are from sitting in shitty chairs. Its probably one of the most comfortable things I have sat in and its fairly firm

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I used to sell life-form chairs that were up in that range. Pretty nice stuff but I don't think it's worth splashing out at that sounds like a lot of money. If you're rich, sure. Pro tip: a lot of people would get a doctor's note for a bad back in their work would pay for it.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
jarvfjallet over the markus. main downside is that the seat is pretty firm but that's easily fixed with a cushion. Adjustable headest, adjustable lumbar support, armrests are purchased separately.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone has a recommendation of a chairs like this? Currently I'm using an ordinary office chair or whatever and standing (ascendable table)
image0.png

I need to improve my posture but I'm way more irritated in my current chair when I try. So a chair that forces you to sit the correct way is what I need

May 15, 2018
Denmark
Anyone has a recommendation of a chairs like this? Currently I'm using an ordinary office chair or whatever and standing (ascendable table)
image0.png

I need to improve my posture but I'm way more irritated in my current chair when I try. So a chair that forces you to sit the correct way is what I need
I'm only seeing a very sharp, uncomfortable cushion, and a broken and twisted back without any legs.
I have never seen a chair like this before. ;-)

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Got a good refurbished one on ebay for 150€ and it's infinitely better then the IKEA ones. They will also hold you for a long time.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Aeron is very nice, but I still prefer Ikea Markus if you consider the price points.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
image0.png

Would not recommend. That form factor puts undue strain on your knees, buttock, and thighs, and you'll be in a great deal of pain within 30 minutes of sitting.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a used Steelcase Leap v2 from an office furniture chair reseller and I love it. If you're looking for something to fix back problems, though, you're much better off exercising at least a little bit every day.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Well that certainly makes it clear.
But anyway, I got mine from a guy who repairs these, so what I got is likely a hodgepodge of other chairs. The back support on mine is B, like the one I had before, but the seat just isn't long enough. On the site, it looks like all the parts can be customized though. I wonder if I can still have that part replaced for a bigger one?

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
Well that certainly makes it clear.
But anyway, I got mine from a guy who repairs these, so what I got is likely a hodgepodge of other chairs. The back support on mine is B, like the one I had before, but the seat just isn't long enough. On the site, it looks like all the parts can be customized though. I wonder if I can still have that part replaced for a bigger one?

I wouldn't know where exactly to look, but checking with Herman Miller customer support may be a good starting point. At least scope out the price for the part you need. Maybe it's a dealer-only service part. Found a toll-free customer service number: 888.798.0202.

Good luck!

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
You can find a used Aeron for a few hundred and it's 100% worth it. Every part is replaceable and there's a strong secondary market.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to test out some nice office chairs in-store before I make a decision, but it doesn't seem like I'll be able to safely do that for at least a few months. I use an Aeron at work that definitely helps prevent injury, but it's also not very comfortable.

I'm pretty thin, and the Steelcase Leap V2 looks a bit more comfy with the fabric cushion instead of the Aeron's mesh. Maybe someone here has used both and can provide a comparison?

Nov 14, 2017
I got a refurbed Aeron with the posturefit back attachment for £320 last year. Some of the best money I've ever spent. Most of them are usually £400, tho I don't think they've done the gas lift on this one. That's only like £60 tho.