• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
That Herman miller is absolutely worth a grand, lol. It is a fantastic life changingly good and comfortable chair. I had one at work and it was mind boggling. Ergonomics matter.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Herman Miller Aeron is the most comfortable chair I've ever sat on for prolonged periods. It's expensive, but worth every penny

golem

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a Design Within Reach outlet near by they have cheap Aerons for days. I am Embody curious however.

ArcLyte

Nov 1, 2017
I have an Embody and completely honest, it's maybe the best grand i've ever spent. It's not an extremely comfortable chair, but it's extremely anti-fatiguing. Once you dial it in and fit it to your body, It suspends your ass and back in a way that you don't experience any discomfort that comes with spending hours or even an entire day sitting in a chair. It's completely worth the $1000 if you spend a lot of time seated at a computer or work from home.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I have a very messed up back (3 herniated disks) due to a motorcycle accident when I was younger so I always need good lumbar support. I bought a gaming chair that had lumbar support for less than $200 and so far I have no complaints and is what I use most of the time when I'm home. The one I have at work is significantly more expensive and I still prefer the one at home.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS. FOR A FUCKING CHAIR.

NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS. FOR A FUCKING SPOT TO PUT MY SWEET SHINY ASS.

That last one is literally a piece of plastic...

.... ON FUCKING WHEELS. Are you shitting me?!? I can get a whole damn couch for half the price of these chairs. These chairs cost as much as modern televisions with smart enabled features, online connectivity, and fucking wireless. These chairs costs more than the absolute latest mobile phones. This includes foldable phones. These chairs cost more than most computers they will sit in front of.

I mean, do these things clean your ass or something??? Cause I'm just not seeing it rn.

Again... And I mean it this time: HOLY FUCKING SHIT?
You can get slightly used Herman Miller aeron chairs for $450-500 from Madison seating.

Trust me, your back WILL thank you

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
I sat on one of these myself in my previous desk job. I had no idea they cost that much but I somehow knew they were quality. Didn't know I was sitting on a chair fit for a king lol.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I have cats, so I worry about buying a pricey chair since they like to jump and climb on stuff. I just stick to my old ikea office chair for now (which they jump and climb over all the time so it has a ton of scratches)

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 6'4 255 and work IT from home and bought a solid gaming chair, but I would never pay a grand for one of those chairs and if anyone would need one it would be me.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't.

They have a very deep sitting position with no lower back support.

After an hour your back will start hurting and cramping

Even worse if it comes with those stupid pillows

Then what should I look for then because every office chair I've been getting has not been great. I want one that's really soft because I have no ass.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I've been looking into an hbada chair. From what I've read on reviews, they're solid and the ergonomics are great for the price. I'll never again buy a gaming style chair; my old racer was so firm it killed my ass and lower back after an hour.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I spent a couple of years sitting on a Herman Miller chair at my office. Pretty nice, but the prices are inflated.

I've been really happy with this chair from argos with fold up arms. It makes it much easier to get into a good seating position and lets me tuck away the chair too

Mar 22, 2019
I actually own that Herman Millar (the second one) - managed to expense it back to my company as i work from home remotely 90% of the time. Unfortunately I ordered the "larger" one (i'm 6ft 3inches and not atall a big guy) - so its not as comfy a fit as it could be i guess.

Still; its absolutely worth it for posture and comfort so recommend if you can swing it as a work expense!

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Why do gamer chairs have the same aesthetic as a race car bed? What is the benefit?

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Good chairs are absolutely worth it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I caused myself real problems buying cheap ass Ikea chairs for years and sitting in them all day, finally got into a job where I had a high-quality office chair and smooth sailing since. Didn't even realize how bad the stuff I had been sitting in was.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Been thinking of getting the SecretLab Titan 2020 which is going for $400; anyone have experience with these?

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a refurb Herman Miller Aeron chair and it's absolutely worth it. I have a Steelcase Leap at work. The Aeron is an excellent gaming chair, it's worth the money over "gaming chairs".

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
You dont need a $1000 chair, but yes a proper office chair will cost atleast $300.

This should also tell everyone how fucking trash gaming chairs are, I don't know how those things still sell.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Why do gamer chairs have the same aesthetic as a race car bed? What is the benefit?

Someone started a trend. Probably started from something like offering car seats for racing game enthusiasts and then someone decided to sell those as gamer chairs. There is zero benefit. The way I understand it, modern car seats are the way they are to keep you better in place when driving. But you don't exactly have that kind of considerations when sitting at your desk. Gamer chairs are IMO just not worth the money.

A properly good office chair is a buy once, use for decades type of deal. I got a decent deal on a Steelcase Gesture as I could buy it through my workplace and it has been totally worth the cost. I've had it for about 5 years now and it's still good as new. Meanwhile the Ikea Markus chairs we had at the office were slowly breaking down and needed maintenance.

I will never understand that people are willing to spend thousands on their computers but then balk at the price of a high end display, chair or peripherals. Those are far more long term purchases than your average gaming computer and you use them or look at them all the time.

Jin

Oct 25, 2017
I got myself a Steelcase Gesture with Headrest about half a year ago and it was honestly the best 1.1k€ I have spent in my life.
I had constant backpain when I was working from home or after work when I got home.

That all pretty much vanished two or three weeks after I got the chair, this thing is so much more comfortable it is crazy.

And yeah I will NEVER understand people that aren't willing to shell out money for a chair, if you are working from home sometimes or are sitting at your office table a lot, it should be one of the first purchases you think about imo.

Like I lie on my couch/sofa maybe 2 hours a day while I work/play at my table like at least 8 hours of work + X hours of free time, so yeah it is more expensive than some couches but I also use it a LOT more.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Then what should I look for then because every office chair I've been getting has not been great. I want one that's really soft because I have no ass.

I have this

Its all mesh so it doesn't make you sweaty.

The seating part is really bouncy so it cushions your ass nicely, and it has a shitload of adjustable parts, so you can easily find a comfortable position

You have to go sit in a whole bunch of chairs till you find one you like. You can't buy it blind

I tired at least 15 in the store till I settled on this one

raynor-ergohuman-chair-me7erg-mesh-with-headrest-98__18052.1465680293.1280.1280.jpg

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Sitting for hours on end shouldn't be a thing to begin with. I sit on a recumbent bike at my standing desk, when I get tired of pedaling, I stand. Shit is killing us.

Oct 27, 2017
I have this

Its all mesh so it doesn't make you sweaty.

The seating part is really bouncy so it cushions your ass nicely, and it has a shitload of adjustable parts, so you can easily find a comfortable position

You have to go sit in a whole bunch of chairs till you find one you like. You can't buy it blind

I tired at least 15 in the store till I settled on this one

raynor-ergohuman-chair-me7erg-mesh-with-headrest-98__18052.1465680293.1280.1280.jpg
I bought one of these 7 years ago (may have been a knock off version? can't find the invoice). The Ergohuman series is super nice, and you don't have to put the armrests on if you don't want them. Great chair.

KiKaL

Oct 26, 2017
I've been really happy with this chair from argos with fold up arms. It makes it much easier to get into a good seating position and lets me tuck away the chair too

Man, I would love fold up arms. I can lower mine but that is something I never even considered being an option. That's great.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Been thinking of getting the SecretLab Titan 2020 which is going for $400; anyone have experience with these?

I've had one since December and don't have any major complaints. The built-in adjustable lumbar support is a million times better than those stupid pillows you get with every other gaming chair, and the fabric version is nice, shouldn't start disintegrating after 6 months like all the pleather ones do. I've had temporary (appearing suddenly, lasting an hour or two then disappearing) lower back pains maybe 3 or 4 times this year, but I don't think it's the chair. I've been working from home almost full-time for over a month now, I'd imagine I'd be in pain every day if it was that. The arms could be a bit more adjustable, but otherwise it's all good. Sitting on it for whole days on end hasn't been an issue (with obvious stand/walk around breaks at least once an hour).

That said, it's overall just fine, not incredible, so I wouldn't really say it's worth the high price. At 200 to 250 USD it'd be a good deal. It's pretty hard, if that's an issue. The fabric version I have also smelled like fucking death when I got it, like absolutely hardcore chemical smell, and I genuinely had to keep it outside for 2-3 weeks until I could sit on it for longer than 30 minutes without getting a headache. This also led me down a rabbit hole of SecretLabs impressions online and while I don't have any personal experience with them, their customer support seems to be complete, utter trash. The headrest pillow also sucks, it's too big and I've already had to sew it back together once cause it started to rip open from where the loop connects to the pillow.

In short, I think you'd be happy with it if you got one, but I'd suggest taking your 400 and going around trying "real" ergonomic office chairs first. If you don't find anything good, knock yourself out.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
People don't realize that after age 27 or 28, you enter a point in your life where you are always sore or uncomfortable if you don't keep in shape.

Chairs and beds are a big part of your quality of life, and general health.

Rai_11

Nov 7, 2017
Regular office furniture is typically this price. One of the top brands is Herman Miller. The average office chair you see in a typical office is about $1500.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I've had one since December and don't have any major complaints. The built-in adjustable lumbar support is a million times better than those stupid pillows you get with every other gaming chair, and the fabric version is nice, shouldn't start disintegrating after 6 months like all the pleather ones do. I've had temporary (appearing suddenly, lasting an hour or two then disappearing) lower back pains maybe 3 or 4 times this year, but I don't think it's the chair. I've been working from home almost full-time for over a month now, I'd imagine I'd be in pain every day if it was that. The arms could be a bit more adjustable, but otherwise it's all good. Sitting on it for whole days on end hasn't been an issue (with obvious stand/walk around breaks at least once an hour).

That said, it's overall just fine, not incredible, so I wouldn't really say it's worth the high price. At 200 to 250 USD it'd be a good deal. It's pretty hard, if that's an issue. The fabric version I have also smelled like fucking death when I got it, like absolutely hardcore chemical smell, and I genuinely had to keep it outside for 2-3 weeks until I could sit on it for longer than 30 minutes without getting a headache. This also led me down a rabbit hole of SecretLabs impressions online and while I don't have any personal experience with them, their customer support seems to be complete, utter trash. The headrest pillow also sucks, it's too big and I've already had to sew it back together once cause it started to rip open from where the loop connects to the pillow.

In short, I think you'd be happy with it if you got one, but I'd suggest taking your 400 and going around trying "real" ergonomic office chairs first. If you don't find anything good, knock yourself out.

Thanks for the info. I already own, ha. Just want a second for my partner.

I'm looking into standing desks now as well.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Anyone know the profit margin they make with these chairs?
Surely would be big, like most furniture.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I have this Massdrop chair and I've been very happy with it. Actually prefer it to the Herman Miller chairs we have at work. At 200 it's hard to top though I've heard it's not made for heavier people.

Anyone spending thousands on an office chair and saying it's worth it is simply trying to justify that they spent thousands that could have been had for a few hundred

Miaus

Jan 28, 2018
My back used to hurt like hell and i said fuck it, i can't work like this anymore and found a dxracer on sale. I Will never sit in a garbage chair again, there is no going back, and my back is fine now, been using it for two years.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
You can get slightly used Herman Miller aeron chairs for $450-500 from Madison seating.

Trust me, your back WILL thank you

Similarly, I bought an Aeron due to the shelter-in-place/work-from-home mandate in my state (CA).

I picked a pre-owner one off of Craigslist and man, are these comfy and ergonomic. Top quality stuff And built to last too. Got mine for $250 cash, but most seem to be selling for around $300-$400 range depending on what options it comes with.

Either way, it was money well spent and my back thanks me. I highly recommend these.

EDIT: Definitely check the seat size chart before you buy.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Easily worth the $. Your mind will be blown knowing plenty of large industry corporate offices literally have thousands of these. It's worth investing in good ergonomics if you're sitting all day.

Yes my office has literally hundreds of them. We have so many we have a whole part of our building with them just sitting around not being used in empty offices. It's amazing. I love them though and would recommend it if you can afford it.

For me personally though I use a Maingear Forma GT and love it. The lumbar and neck pillows are super soft and supportive and it's a really attractive chair. It's relatively cheap too at $350. Worth the money.

Romir

Oct 28, 2017
In my upper 20s I started getting lingering back pain in an Aeron with the posturefit upgrade. I took the plunge on an Embody and it stopped the pain. The lower back support fully and firmly supports me without being uncomfortable. At the bottom of the spine it's more aggressive than the Aeron which works much better for me.

I can use the chair all day without back pain, but if I don't get up enough I can get some bottom soreness. This showed up but got better in my first month of ownership, but I kept it because of the relief to my back. I echo the comment that the chair could be more comfortable, but I'm still happy with it six years later.

Now if only my couch didn't give me back pain...

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Those Herman Miller Aeron chairs are amazing

We have a load at work and I'm noticing the difference between the chair I have at home whilst I'm remote working and my work chair.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

No adjustable arm rests means if it doesn't fit you properly you're going to fuck up either your shoulders or your wrists.

I bought a used Leap V1 for $200 and it was worth every penny.

I've also found some really good adjustable chairs for under $100 on Kijiji and office surplus stores. The most important thing about a chair is adjustability. Every part of the chair should be adjustable to fit you. The arm rests in particular are very important: they should be adjustable up/down/left/right and angled towards your mouse and keyboard. That goes for your desk as well. Never buy a desk that doesn't have adjustable height.