• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS. FOR A FUCKING CHAIR.

NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS. FOR A FUCKING SPOT TO PUT MY SWEET SHINY ASS.

That last one is literally a piece of plastic...

.... ON FUCKING WHEELS. Are you shitting me?!? I can get a whole damn couch for half the price of these chairs. These chairs cost as much as modern televisions with smart enabled features, online connectivity, and fucking wireless. These chairs costs more than the absolute latest mobile phones. This includes foldable phones. These chairs cost more than most computers they will sit in front of.

I mean, do these things clean your ass or something??? Cause I'm just not seeing it rn.

Again... And I mean it this time: HOLY FUCKING SHIT?

EDIT:

UPDATE!!!111one

I got my chair ($400 herman miller aeron classic from madison seating + 10 year warranty) yesterday and have been using it off and on. I am at loss of words. What have I been doing to my back all these years. Im surprised Im not dead. My old gaming chair ($65) is TRASHCAN GARBAGE.

You guys were right this time. It was worth it for 400 bones to stop a lifetime of back pain. When I first sat down in it, I was like "eh". But then I actually had time to sit in it at MY DESK and it just perfectly aligned to my body. It made me feel sexy and comfortable. I am in love. I want to marry this chair.

It is so sturdy and it feels powerful. It feels like it will protect me at all times. Which is weird because it seems really simple in design. You'd think there was more to it.. It literally took me 5 minutes to put together. The back rest was the only thing I had to screw together because everything else was pre-assembled (wheels, levers, etc). The box was big (45 pounds too!) and the fedex guy accidentally punched a whole in it in transit apparently, but this chair is durable af.

I rate this chair 10/10! Thanks, ERA.

Last edited:

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, welcome to comfy chairs. Nothing new sadly.

Comfy as hell chairs are a luxury product.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
Yeah chairs can get very expensive. Most I pay is £100. As long as it's got a high back rest and the material is mesh for airflow, I'm happy.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
You can find them cheaper in firesales on Ebay. I got a Leap for £200 and I've had it for 6 years- it's built like a T-34 tank.

These chairs are bought by large companies like the one I work for which, when bought in bulk, is a drop in the Ocean to them. Hell they bought me a mouse and keyboard combo which cost something like £500. Ergonomic kit costs a small fortune.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
If the chair is good enough I'll definitely pay an extra, but that's ridiculous.

Gaming chairs are also too expensive and they've always given me back pain. Not worth it.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Get a refurbished Steelcase Leap

The brand new ones may cost as much as a TV, but you'll probably replace your TV in 4 years. How often do you plan on replacing your spine?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Don't do it. You can spend less than $100 and still get a well designed ergonomic chair. The most important part is how you sit in it. You can drop $1k and still screw your back up if you slouch. These high price chairs are aimed at people who think they can spend their way to better health, without changing their bad habits.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's something you're going to be spending years on, so yeah?

Last edited:

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I bought a Steelcase gesture for around that much. yeah it's very expensive but If I'm gonna be sitting on my ass playing games whenever I get the chance I want to do as much for my back as I can.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Herman Miller are high end designer stuff.

Just buy a Markus from IKEA.
Get a refurbished Steelcase Leap

The brand new ones may cost as much as a TV, but you'll probably replace your TV in 4 years. How often do you plan on replacing your spine?

Thanks. I will look into these brands.
I really fucked my back using a "gaming" chair. These days I have one of these

Link not loading for some reason.... I'm not in UK maybe that's why?

Edit: wait there it is

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
High end ergonomic chairs are expensive, the best thing to do is to get them on fire sales or second hand as they're mostly bought by offices rather than individuals. As for the price, yeah Herman Millers, Steelcases etc. are expensive because they're the best but there are plenty of cheaper options that are almost as good - they also last for fucking ever, those things are worth the money purely because of how well they're built - they're tanks that are rated for many, many thousands of hours of constant use while doing as little hard to your body as possible.

There are 3 things in life that you should spend as much as you can afford on because you spend a large chunk of your life using them - a chair that won't fuck your body, a mattress (and pillow) that won't fuck your body and a pair of shoes that won't fuck your body. Everything else I spend as little as I can on but those 3 I make sure to get the best I can afford.

Last edited:

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
Good desk chairs are worth it. As someone who both plays video games and has a job that had me sitting in front of a computer, a good desk chair is the difference between back pain and walking home in good shape.

I have two steel cases for our home office. Got them off craigslist for 250 together from an office going out of business. Worth keeping an eye for steel case or Herman Miller on Craigslist.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Easily worth the $. Your mind will be blown knowing plenty of large industry corporate offices literally have thousands of these. It's worth investing in good ergonomics if you're sitting all day.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Take care of your bodies, everyone. I fucked up my back last year with a bad chair I used to have (threw it the fck away) and now I use a couch for console gaming. But I don't sit on my ass for long periods of time and I exercise every day. It's REALLY serious business messing up your back.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
it's a lot of money but you want to treat your spine well. if that goes you're done.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Depending on how much you sit in front of your computer. It's well invested money.

A good chair cost a bit, but it's also the best investment you can make if you use it much.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Take care of your bodies, everyone. I fucked up my back last year with a bad chair I used to have (threw it the fck away) and now I use a couch for console gaming. But I don't sit on my ass for long periods of time and I exercise every day. It's REALLY serious business messing up your back.
Yea. The main reason I started this thread because I got absolutely sick of my 60$ "gaming" chair. It was hurting me after a certain point so I just threw it away. It was starting to come apart and lean to one side as well. So here I am.... :'(

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Meanwhile at Ikea...

markus-office-chair__0657157_PE709639_S5.JPG

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Herman Millers ain't cheap, but they're great. Typing from my Aeron right now.

You don't need to get a Herman Miller though. No one is forcing you to.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
I went thru 3 computer chairs before I found the perfect one. Before that I spent a pretty good amount of money, I had lower back problems, wrist problems, elbow problems from lightly pressing in my elbows into the fluffy armrests (that really messed me up for awhile.)

Eventually out of desperation I landed on this POS from my basement that I don't even remember where we got (there was 6 of them stacked on top of each other, dried paint on some of them just sitting there for god knows how long before I started using them.) I've been sitting on this thing for 4 years for at least 4-8 hours most days and my back has been fine ever since switching a few years ago... Try a dumb ass chair out, you honestly might be surprised.

00gC1fJm.jpg

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I went thru 3 computer chairs before I found the perfect one. Before that I spent a pretty good amount of money, I had lower back problems, wrist problems, elbow problems from lightly pressing in my elbows into the fluffy armrests (that really messed me up for awhile.)

Eventually out of desperation I landed on this POS from my basement that I don't even remember where we got (there was 6 of them stacked on top of each other, dried paint on some of them just sitting there for god knows how long before I started using them.) I've been sitting on this thing for 4 years for at least 4-8 hours most days and my back has been fine ever since switching a few years ago... Try a dumb ass chair out, you honestly might be surprised.

00gC1fJm.jpg
Wow. No armrests huh? Just going commando, are we?

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
$1000 is a bargain for something your gonna use for the next 15 years easily. you're spending much more on your computer that doesn't actually save your health

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
High end computer chairs are usually sold in bulk to corporations. Individual prices are always insane.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017

00gC1fJm.jpg

Yes, I was about to mention that even these 15 dollar chairs are better for your back than anything else you might find overpriced.
327868xlg.jpg

I had one of those for about a year until a friend broke it, but I was gaming for hours without any problem.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Ok that looks insanely sturdy and high quality. Wow 129 too.

Only thing is that it appears to be short? I'm really tall. Like alien tall. (6foot 3)
It rises up a good bit, let me do some measurements
Measuring tape gave me like 42 inches/3.5 Feet at its highest level, but if you go to a costco, they should just have the chairs set up in case you wanted to try before you buy (or at least, its like that in the Baton Rouge Costco)

Last edited:

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
the best gamer chair is anything without a seatback at all. the baddest chairs are the ones with seatbacks and armrests, it is like a corset sitting in those.

a good ergonomic chair without seatback and armrests is the best you can get because it will force you to sit straight by yourself.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any good chair without wheels? Never really understood the appeal. Its not like i'm sliding from PC to TV on it or something.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Check local furniture stores or even gaming chairs, the chair I have looks a lot like that $1000 and I paid about $130 for it.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have Herman Miller Aeron at work and Ikea Markus at home. Honestly, I prefer Markus because of tall back and head rest. I know you can get 3rd party head rests for Aeron, but that's extra money on top of already ridiculous price. The only thing I prefer on Aeron over Markus is arm rests, Aeron has some very good arm rests. But that's about it.

In my country Aeron costs 10x more than Markus, and it definintely is not 10x better, not even by a long shot.