• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What they were pushing before-

well the fix is in and people in Restera fell for it, the media fell for it, social media and everybody else did too.

They believed all these lies and trump gladly took advantage of them as they have made the narrative fit their agenda of making it easier for people to denounce the protests and what it actually is.

The sad thing is that we all have seen this before and people still fell for it and you wonder why change never happens... ..

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Well, they didn't lie.

Afaik much of the police force lives outside of the town.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 8644

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And garbage people on this forum who think they're progressive because they vote blue keep buying this shit hook line and sinker. Keep trusting cops and elected officials with a vested interest in underplaying the riots. Marks.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And garbage people on this forum who think they're progressive because they vote blue keep buying this shit hook line and sinker
Everybody in that thread should apologize, it was awful looking at it.

People need to realize That when Trump runs away with a story, it's probably lies

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
That was pretty obvious as soon as nearly every major city in America had the same massive protests. There's no way a "professional protester" can be 100 places at once.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Would be funny if the damage wasn't already done, all day was the media saying the same stuff, asking the LA mayor about it, news reporters spreading lies as it was discovered
Mainstream media have been fucking awful in their coverage across the board. Maybe they'll stop sucking the establishment cock after today after tons of their reporters were attacked by police.

Probably not though.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
People were blaming anarchists like an hour and a half ago for property damage. They were, are, DESPERATE to buy into this bogus narrative of outsiders. But this narrative's got a history and it's a pretty vile one.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mainstream media have been fucking awful in their coverage across the board. Maybe they'll stop sucking the establishment cock after today after tons of their reporters were attacked by police.

Probably not though.
They weren't that bad at first but as soon as those Minnesota city leaders started talking about the outside forces, they just ran away with that and never looked back

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
They weren't that bad at first but as soon as those Minnesota city leaders started talking about the outside forces, they just ran away with that and never looked back
Eh, they've also been pushing hard on the idea that this is all the protesters fault, when it's the cops starting violence 95 percent of the time. It's more than just this. They have been pathetic.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This claim never made any sense and people were dumb to believe it. Pro tip: if cops are the cause of a massive protest, you probably can't trust what they tell you about the protest.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also this was discovered earlier in the day,

but people don't want to believe the truth, when the lies is what they want to hear.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
You're telling me that in the year TWENTY TWENTY, America would still be using a technique they've used for the last hundred years to discredit and diffuse political action by placating those who believe they are not oppressed by appealing to a civility that works to dampen societal change?

Edit: And I said America above, not a specific party.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Centrists sure loved sharing this misinformation to fuel their anti-protest, tone policing, and concern trolling narrative in the defense of looting thread.
Absolutely this. The first thread was started based on unsourced tweets from Joy Ann "Putin hacked the Internet Archive to make my old blog homophobic" Reid. Just uncritically spreading BS without a second thought, it's transparent AF.

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, they've also been pushing hard on the idea that this is all the protesters fault, when it's the cops starting violence 95 percent of the time. It's more than just this. They have been pathetic.
Definitely, or that those that cause violence and looting are only a small group out of the entire protests. This is how they use people's willingness to believe everything that they hear to stop the cause.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018

An important element to remember about all this and the people who were willing to spread this stuff uncritically in our current climate.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
This is what I meant in other threads. "outside force", "the violence is coming from just some places", etc. All an effort to say "don't go there thinking you could overtake us if you want, okay? please?"

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I made the thread I was surprised that nobody made one as soon as the truth came out, and believe it or not, people believed the mayor more than anybody body as if they're going what is good, lol

well now you know

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Ok but they owned up to it less than 24 hours as after they made the false claims. And the records still show that 80% were from outside of the the twin cities.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Serious question... why do they want to convince people that it is "outsiders" being responsible for the violence and looting? In what way does that narrative help the establishment?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Serious question... why do they want to convince people that it is "outsiders" being responsible for the violence and looting? In what way does that narrative help the establishment?
I'm not totally clear either but I think it's because the "outside agitator" narrative makes it seem like the actual communities involved really don't have any problem with killings like George Floyd's and all the outrage is coming from others who are just looking to stir shit up. And that invalidates the real rage that is actually being felt and expressed by the community. Protester gaslighting, in other words.

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People in power.....lied??? I'm shocked.

Don't trust politicians. They aren't your friends.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Tons of people are still spouting this garbage on this site. Lots of folks blaming all the civil unrest on "antifa". No the civil unrest in from EVERYONE who is tired of police brutality

OP
OP
Armadilo

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope that if you went to the other thread and quickly commented your opinion, you can comment in another thread to show your support for the protest.

stop listening to mayors that lie and lie again.

time for change

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, they controlled the narrative for those *checks notes*

"Fence-sitting moderates"

You realize those are racists pretending to be stupid, right?

Note that we do know that whites and other people were instigating shit, but it was kinda suspect that "all" of it was. Someone is trying to appease protesters or at least pretend like they didn't lock some citizens up.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

It allows them to not admit that it is thier own community angry and it also allows them to crack down harder and use repelling invaders as justification. It's a very old strategy invoked to crush protest movements.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
It's two things.

1. Tells people "This person standing next to you is not your friend" to divide people
2. Makes "justifcation" for them to escalate and divert blame and condemn the protest

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It makes centrists and fence sitters think that since people in their community aren't doing it, they can sit back and condemn the protests.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because otherwise they have to accept that they have failed black citizens as their elected representatives. It's easier to pass the blame to nebulous anarchist "outsiders" than deal with the failures of the liberal state.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018

Spreads misinformation and false narratives to undermine the effort
Spurs division amongst protestors and supporters
Helps rationalize more aggressive crackdowns

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
If the problem is coming from outside your jurisdiction, it's not your problem.
I'm not totally clear either but I think it's because the "outside agitator" narrative makes it seem like the actual communities involved really don't have any problem with killings like George Floyd's and all the outrage is coming from others who are just looking to stir shit up. And that invalidates the real rage that is actually being felt and expressed by the community. Protester gaslighting, in other words.
It allows them to not admit that it is thier own community angry and it also allows them to crack down harder and use repelling invaders as justification. It's a very old strategy invoked to crush protest movements.
It's two things.

1. Tells people "This person standing next to you is not your friend" to divide people
2. Makes "justifcation" for them to escalate and divert blame and condemn the protest
It makes centrists and fence sitters think that since people in their community aren't doing it, they can sit back and condemn the protests.
Because otherwise they have to accept that they have failed black citizens as their elected representatives. It's easier to pass the blame to nebulous anarchist "outsiders" than deal with the failures of the liberal state.

Ah, OK. I assumed it was some form of this. I think its only going to be effective in convincing those who already don't want to believe and/or support the protests and black Americans. I'm praying that real change comes as a result of everything that is happening.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
The word outside agitator has a history and it would be in the best interest for these people to undermine the movement and destruction of their property. This isn't new. I was sceptical the moment I heard the mayor talk about it. This is what Martin Luther King had to say about it as the word was even used against him.
Moreover, I am cognizant of the interrelatedness of all communities and states. I cannot sit idly by in Atlanta and not be concerned about what happens in Birmingham. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. Never again can we afford to live with the narrow, provincial "outside agitator" idea. Anyone who lives inside the United States can never be considered an outsider anywhere within its bounds.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I posted this in the other thread, but it seems to me that claiming that arson and looting is being committed by outsiders is an attempt to delegitimize arson and looting, not the protests themselves. Especially since they were hinting that the outsiders were neo-Nazi provocateurs, not antifa or "radical blacks" or whatever MAGA left-wing boogeyman. You'd think that would even give cover for "status quo centrists" to support the protests, not cause them to turn against the protests like people in this thread are saying. Although, I think that anyone who would've been "convinced" to denounce everyone protesting due to this story had already chosen their side.

And for a cynical take, I'm assuming that, completely independent of ideology, anyone in charge of a city is going to attempt to delegitimize the idea of burning the city to the ground.

I can see why it would be frustrating for anyone who believes that the only solution is to burn everything and start over, but I don't see how those people would expect to have the establishment supporting them in the first place.

All that being said, flat out lying to everyone's faces is going to going to have the opposite effect if their goal is to calm everything down. It also seems like a stupid lie considering the information is available to the public.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I posted this in the other thread, but it seems to me that claiming that arson and looting is being committed by outsiders is an attempt to delegitimize arson and looting, not the protests themselves. Especially since they were hinting that the outsiders were neo-Nazi provocateurs, not antifa or "radical blacks" or whatever MAGA left-wing boogeyman. You'd think that would even give cover for "status quo centrists" to support the protests, not cause them to turn against the protests like people in this thread are saying. Although, I think that anyone who would've been "convinced" to denounce everyone protesting due to this story had already chosen their side.

And for a cynical take, I'm assuming that, completely independent of ideology, anyone in charge of a city is going to attempt to delegitimize the idea of burning the city to the ground.

I can see why it would be frustrating for anyone who believes that the only solution is to burn everything and start over, but I don't see how those people would expect to have the establishment supporting them in the first place.

All that being said, flat out lying to everyone's faces is going to going to have the opposite effect if their goal is to calm everything down. It also seems like a stupid lie considering the information is available to the public.

I was going to say something similar to this. When they said there were outsiders causing the most damage I believed it because there's much footage now of white people looting, destroying property and there are right wing online communities who are encouraging members to go cause chaos. It didn't seem very far fetched. It didn't discredit the protests either way to me whether it was true or not. In other countries this is usually used as defense of protests by blaming behavior that was extreme on outside agents intentionally instigating and provoking more violence. There's a history of this happening worldwide. Doesn't change the fact that it was untrue here and so they shouldn't have said so.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

This was my first thought too when I heard it, that it was a way to say the locals who were genuine about protesting were largely peaceful and the outsiders stirred stuff up to delegitimize the actual point of the protests and make the focus on the looting. I don't think anyone (who is not already convinced otherwise) thought the protests themselves weren't started legitimately.

Oct 25, 2017
the protests would've been denounced regardless.

That's why I don't understand some of these takes. I don't know the true motive but some of this makes no sense. Nobody disputes a man was murdered by police, that's understood fact whether you are a neo-Nazi or a black protester. There is no "fence sitting moderate" because the facts are not in dispute. If you know a man was killed by gross negligence at best, cold-blooded racism at worst and and you don't give a shit that's not moderate, you are on the other side of the fence. And whether or not people came in from out of state and smashed things up, there was still a protest, there were dozens of protests around the country in every state you might claim they came from. If you ignore that, that's not moderate, that's willingly playing stupid because you don't like that people were protesting a black death at the hands of police.

We can maybe talk about what it could take to convert these people, but let's not pretend what the starting point was and how the narrative they will be fed by their peers will be the same regardless of what happens.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017

It's fair to think that, and of course a mayor is not going to say they're okay with damage to the city they run. But in practice, the narrative did two things:

- It allowed everyone to project the violence onto whatever boogeyman they want. After the Minneapolis press conference, Trump and AG William Barr stated that the outside provocateurs were antifa and the "radical left". Trump's recent tweet saying he wants to declare antifa a terrorist organization is an extension of that. Given the size of these protests and their national scope, there's a video clip to support anyone's narrative. If what's happening supports what you already believe, there's no need to change in response.
- It justified a massive escalation by the police. This is what the Minnesota Department of Public Safety tweeted out early last night, following these news conferences.

If you believe that rather than dealing with peaceful protestors, you're at war with outside agitators, then you can handle the response like a war. You can brutalize the press, tear gas anyone that moves, and fire at people on their porches. Even if you say you're doing it to stop the right wing, you're catching innocents in the crossfire and silencing their message.