• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Aren't the fans custom designed anyway, does it matter which manufacturer is making it if it's made to the same specification..?

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
Why is OP comparing PS4's fan profile to the PS5's, you could have multiple parties manufacture the PS4 fan and it will still be loud.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for PS6 launch threads with exactly the same anxiety/"concerns".
Let's be a bit serious here, shall we?

Concerns regarding these issues are not unfounded. Sony went a full generation with the PS4 not giving a flying fuck about the noise. It was a problem with the OG, and then they released a Pro model that took it to an even higher level.

The main problem is that it's really difficult to compare and declare if something is noisy, because of peoples' sensitivity to these issues are based on previous experiences, how you perceive sound and how the console is placed.

There are always people trying to play these things down. But considering that the "PS4 jet engine" moniker never died down, it's pretty obvious that people are very cautious regarding what Sony is trying to sell us this time.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
So I was watching the PS5 tear down here

youtu.be

PS5 Teardown - A Repairability Perspective

► iFixit Coupon Code: https://ifixit.com/tronicsfix ► iFixit Manta Precision Bit Set: Amazon (paid link) https://geni.us/XQLwaW PS5 Teardown - A Repairabilit...

At 3:10, he shows the fan from the top and it seems it's a delta fan ( which was the fan that used to make the PS4 go crazy loud while others ( Nidec) not as bad .

true enough I opened my PS5 cover and it's a Nidec fan. Which explains why my system is quiet while some people reporting noisy PS5
If that's the case then god help us all.

to tell the difference , this is from the PS4 but applies here

It isn't the same design, you are just jumping to conclusions.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Well thank goodness I seem to have won this time because I still have ps4s flying around my house that I'm trying to catch.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
"Fan lottery" maybe, see how it pans out.

"Exactly the same" obviously not.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Let's be a bit serious here, shall we?

Concerns regarding these issues are not unfounded. Sony went a full generation with the PS4 not giving a flying fuck about the noise. It was a problem with the OG, and then they released a Pro model that took it to an even higher level.

The main problem is that it's really difficult to compare and declare if something is noisy, because of peoples' sensitivity to these issues are based on previous experiences, how you perceive sound and how the console is placed.

There are always people trying to play these things down. But considering that the "PS4 jet engine" moniker never died down, it's pretty obvious that people are very cautious regarding what Sony is trying to sell us this time.

And the PS5 was built to be as silent as possible. It's not even a week from launch, all reviews state how quiet it is, and given there are millions out there, we'd see a LOT of talk about it if there was a problem on the scale of PS4. Which we haven't. Jumping to conclusions based an one component is scaremongering.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The lack of any sort of meaningful tech analysis whatsoever outside of "look! Same branding on the fan!" As well as the speculative thread title should be ban worthy IMO. Could even lead people to try and take open their PS5 when there's no solid guidance on how to do so yet. Ya done goofed OP.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Are people sure the hum/noise is from the fans? Because the disc drive is kinda loud when it's spinning up and installing games. Noted it in my review that it sends vibration from the drive right through my furniture. Ended up sorting it using a Sorbothane pad which has massively reduced the vibration noise

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
The lack of any sort of meaningful tech analysis whatsoever outside of "look! Same branding on the fan!" As well as the speculative thread title should be ban worthy IMO. Could even lead people to try and take open their PS5 when there's no solid guidance on how to do so yet. Ya done goofed OP.

Exactly. It's looking for a problem, rather than seeing a problem and investigating. It's the same as the "it's really small and therefore must overheat" posts regarding the SX. Thread should be closed.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
lol what, these are huge companies that make a lot of products with different specs and qualities.

Product A != Product B

XSX uses Delta and it's fine. This is straight up concern trolling.

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017
Dude those are serious problem, he probably investigated a lot prior to open this topic /s

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
LOL.
So you're saying this manufacturer who is making custom fans to a specification can't make quiet fans?

As if it's like some fundamental knowledge they lack?

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
uhh seriously, PS5s can be noisy? are you effing kidding me? i thought that was one of the main aspects of the design, the quietness. that it was the reason why it needed to be so big, for proper airflow etc..

is this all concern trolling or is this a real issue? i am NOT buying another Sony console after the super noisy Pro that did my head in for years, unless i know for sure its much less noisier (completely silent isn't necessary).

i don't have much extra money, when i buy an expensive product like a games console i need to be sure it's good quality.

should i keep waiting..?

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Fan lottery but this same youtuber tested the two on the pro and it was a 1db difference...

I remember watching videos of people testing different fans on the pro and while the Delta had a bit more of a higher pitch, both fans were "loud" and that was just because of the design of the Pro.

The size of the fans in the PS5 and its other cooling should make this a non issue.

Another issue I remember about fan replacement videos was that people would clean the dust out of their pro and put new paste and thermal pads and then only make the comparison between fans and not just all the other stuff they changed.

While I agree that video is poorly made, 1db of difference is very much audible. The decibel scale is logarithmic so 1db of difference can be a lot.

You can even test it yourself, here's an example of me testing it.
b61f906648b5c3a0df5bfc7b450dc36d.png

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 has a completely different design and size of fan. Can't really say the same thing will happen this gen without testing and proof over time. And as someone pointed out, the Series X has a Delta; just because it's the same brand doesn't mean the same thing will happen.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think that extrapolating what happened with the PS4 to the PS5 is the best of ideas.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't it a bit of a reach to compare the fan manufacturers in the PS4/Pro to the PS5 and assume the same issues will be there?

It's not even the same fan and the console design is completely different.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
uhh seriously, PS5s can be noisy? are you effing kidding me? i thought that was one of the main aspects of the design, the quietness. that it was the reason why it needed to be so big, for proper airflow etc..

is this all concern trolling or is this a real issue? i am NOT buying another Sony console after the super noisy Pro that did my head in for years, unless i know for sure its much less noisier (completely silent isn't necessary).

i don't have much extra money, when i buy an expensive product like a games console i need to be sure it's good quality.

should i keep waiting..?

Maybe read reviews instead of concern threads like these. Even Series X uses the same brand of fans. OP just jumping the gun.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is louder than I thought it would be. I thought I wouldn't hear it at all with how people were talking pre-launch. Still way quieter than ps4, but I know when ps5 is on.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
That sucks. Though not a huge hindrance to me, and even though overall my PS4 Pro was pretty good noise level wise, this past year the fan was getting excessively louder to the point I started to hear it clearly. For years I have managed to get used to noise levels with regards to the fans in my PC, so overall not a deal breaker, just an annoyance I did not expect from a console.

When I get my PS5, I hope I win the "fan" lottery.

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry OP, but it sounds like a bit of a stretch. A slightly differently designed fan does not change the thermal design overall. It's the same on a PC case or any actively cooled device.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

should i keep waiting..?

This post reads like the type of post the OP was fishing for when creating this thread.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Hallelujah we are saved

I was actively put off beefier PS4 games because I'd have to deafen my neighbours to play audibly

Not even lying, I haven't played many of the PS4 games I wanted to, because using the PS4 Pro was just an absolute nightmare with that loud as hell fan.

Being able to play them on PS5 (For free in a lot of cases, as I didn't bother to pick them up and now they'll be in the PS+ collection) with better frames/res etc is going to be a treat

Oh also, thread seems really strange, it's based on nothing more than an assumption with no actual evidence that there will be an issue with different fans. Why scaremongering is allowed?

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Are people sure the hum/noise is from the fans? Because the disc drive is kinda loud when it's spinning up and installing games. Noted it in my review that it sends vibration from the drive right through my furniture. Ended up sorting it using a Sorbothane pad which has massively reduced the vibration noise
Do you just put the pad on the disc drive? Considering doing this, too.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Same as mine. My idle might be slightly less quieter but def it has low humming or buzzing noise. Playing games it gets louder.. It's normal, don't worry about it

I mean it's no PS4 jet engine but it's also not the inaudible Xbox series x I have too.

You think this is the fan or coil? If it's fan I'm wondering about popping top off to see if there's any rubbing.

lowkeyframe

Oct 27, 2017
I have pretty sensitive hearing.
Mine has that same fluttering noise as well. It's audible enough to hear when playing with volume low which makes it kind of annoying. At around medium volume, it drowns it out a bit but you still hear it slightly. Headphones would be the best way to not hear it unfortunately.

Still improved from the PS4 Pro's audibles though so not complaining about that!

Last edited:

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
I have pretty sensitive hearing.
Mine has that same fluttering noise as well. It's audible enough to hear when playing with volume low which makes it kind of annoying. At around medium volume, it drowns it out a bit but you still hear it slightly. Headphones would be the best way to not hear it unfortunately.

Still improved from the PS4 Pro's audibles though so not complaining about that!

Well that's quite a few of us with same noises so I gusss we can say this is standard for PS5. There's definitely been some with really bad noises that aren't normal.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I would just like to point out that when I opened up my PS4 Pro to replace the loud fan, it already had a Nidec fan in it. The new one didn't really do much. Pretty sure it's down to luck of the draw rather than being able to point to one particular part and say that it's the cause of everything.

dopamine__

Oct 28, 2020
Mine is also super quiet. Only time I hear it make sounds is when it's installing a game from a disc.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I'm willing to be the fan noise disparity comes with the fact that some people are lying their PS5s horizontally and some are not. Horizontal makes my fan hum louder. Vertical removes that hum.

My XSX is dead silent as well, I still put the PS5 is super quiet territory.

Same. My XSX makes zero noise. Not even a whooshing sound when the fan is running during gameplay. My PS5 audibly kicks up the fan every single time any game, PS4 or PS5, is started. It's noticeable but not worrisome.

Status
Not open for further replies.