• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
It'll unquestionably bomb. Nothing about that trailer looks like something I'd expect to appeal to a mainstream audience.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I hate Robert Zemeckis' disgusting mocap cartoons, his obsession with cgi and pointless documentary remakes is just a waste of his talent. He is literally the only person in the world that thinks his dead behind the eyes cgi monstrosities look good. I can't believe he made Back To The Future, a movie that was tastefully bookended by flashy sfx instead of drowning in it.

"That Marwencol movie was pretty interesting, but I think it would have been better with 40 minutes of cartoons shooting each other."

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing this movie just to laugh at it. Steve Carrell apparently has several unintentionally hilarious freakouts.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Saw it today and I generally liked it, it was definitely weird as fuck and I can see why many wouldn't enjoy it.

But if you look at the film through the lens of "dealing with PTSD and mental health/trauma" it is much easier to digest.

Also, the random back to the future reference/sequence was amazing.
Silvestri's score was pretty great too, his style was very recognizable.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What's the general run time of the doll sequences in relation to the full film? Looks like a human interest tale given the subject matter.
I did watch the documentary and the guy Hogancamp has an almost infantile way of processing his thoughts and motives.

On a side note, I used to collect action figures as a hobby, and at a certain point I had to choose between that or video games and movies.

That being said, what Mr. Hogancamp has invested in his doll and vehicle collection would have killed me several times over. But the one thing I'll eternally tip my hat to him is how he crafted his playsets. Those were some kick ass playsets he did! When I was into Star Wars collecting, it pissed me off to no end that Hasbro couldn't make one decent backdrop.

Now, when you go to conventions, you see these sprawling dioramas, and no thanks to the toy companies.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to see Steve Carell doing something different, at least. Shame it sounds like the source material was butchered.