• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Some star wars fans have such a narrow view of the universe. I would hate for people like you to be in charge of the series.
To be fair, I think that's a shitload of people, if not most. What we've known of Star Wars for over 30 years is the Skywalker saga, those characters and settings. If you ask someone to name a Star Wars character, they will name a character from that story. The Star Wars universe has been pretty narrow for almost the entire time, and even when it branches out there are still tethers to Skywalker.

I know for me I'm not gonna care much about Star Wars after all this because I like Vader, I like Luke, I like the characters I've known my entire life. For me, and probably a lot of people, Star Wars *is* the Skywalker saga.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Come on now. If there was a Star Wars show where the main character wore Darth Vader armor but with a different color, you don't think people would ask "Why not just make the show about Vader?"
Vader's armor is not an entire planet's style of armor. Boba Fett's armor is.
latest

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, people here really DO hate Boba Fett. I have great attachment to the character thanks to Clone Wars. I hope we get to see him again in the future.

BTW, didn't Jango claim himself to be Mandalorian? He isn't recognized by Mandalore, but it can be them washing their hands off him.
I hate that little mother fucker in Clone Wars about as much as I hate Joffrey in GOT

Oct 25, 2017
Also a Mandalorian bounty hunter and mercenary

There's an entire planet of them.

Mandalorians are warriors so thats typically why they show up as 3 things in the series (mercenary, bounty hunter and terrorists)

so reusing Boba Fett is lame but having a character that more or less looks just like him and has the same profession and acts the same, isnt?
Based on the scene they showed him being a Mandalorian actually plays into the story.
That piece of metal he gets as payment for the mission is a Mandalorian mineral used in their armor and weapons thats very rare and expensive.

The Empire dude also likens the Empire getting back into power as Mandalor trying to regain its current fractured self.

They don't actually even look all that similar

man-characters-700x373.jpg

Last edited:

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Also a Mandalorian bounty hunter and mercenary

There's an entire planet of them.

Mandalorians are warriors so thats typically why they show up as 3 things in the series (mercenary, bounty hunter and terrorists)
y'know, i've been thinking this for a while, but they should totally make an action RPG - with a good character creator! - where you play as a Mandalorian. so much armour customisation, and then there's all the gadgets...

88pxFM6.gif

i'd love to make an incredibly obvious sabine expy. heck, i've already tried in a few other games.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why does every work of fiction in the star wars universe have to revolve around characters created 30+ years ago?

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In most Star Wars fans minds there are about ten characters in the series with any importance, and all stories must be about them.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Ive been out of the country for the last week so I finally saw the teaser and the potato cam extended footage. It all looks great but a new character, wearing Mandalorian armor, who is employed as a bounty hunter......but isnt Boba Fett....I just have to wonder why? Setting aside the hate boner that ERA has against Fett, whats the point of creating a new character who (at least from the outset) looks like a copy of an existing character? They could have very easily given him the EU Sarlacc survival story and gone from there. I guess you could make the argument that they didnt necessarily want to be tied to the history of that character, but its not like his history was exactly well fleshed out in the first place.

I guess we will have to wait for the release of the show to see if it makes sense in context but the premise just seems a little strange from the outset.

Or S1 ending spoilers that he IS Boba Fett.
There is no hate boner for Fett.

The "hate boner" (are you 12?) is for needless prequels and exposition.

Oct 25, 2017
y'know, i've been thinking this for a while, but they should totally make an action RPG - with a good character creator! - where you play as a Mandalorian. so much armour customisation, and then there's all the gadgets...

88pxFM6.gif

i'd love to make an incredibly obvious sabine expy. heck, i've already tried in a few other games.

I'd buy it day 1.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Tons of Mandalorians are bounty hunters in the Star Wars galaxy. While Boba isn't technically a Mandalorian he fits right in with the rest regardless. We don't really need to see Boba Fett's story in this new series.

Mandalorians are basically the face of war in the Star Wars galaxy (next to the Jedi and the ancient Sith). It's why all the clone and stormtroopers base their armor on Mandalorian armor. During the Clone Wars era those type of Mandalorians became nothing but a footnote in history outside of some rogue houses.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

88pxFM6.gif

Actual Mandalorians:

That gif.

Boba Fett:
2ANgbg.gif

Oct 27, 2017
They could never show his face if it was Boba Fett because he's a clone and so should look identical to Jango. Best avoid that complication by just making a new character.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
So here's the thing - does the OP see this series existing because the character design (armor, profession, skill and weapon set) of a Mandalorian bounty hunter is cool, or because there is an opportunity to explore the place a Mandalorian bounty hunter has in the Star Wars universe and history?

Because if it's just the former, sure, it could be Boba Fett and it could just be about random cool bounties he takes on with everything else just designed to make sure there's no inconsistency between Episode 2 and Episode 6.

But the show to me, clearly exists because of the latter, and will only be truly compelling if it is made that way. Bobe Fett isn't Mandalorian, and the Mandalorians are an actual group that exists. Not making the show about Boba Fett gives the show the freedom to explore these people and their place in the galaxy without any limitations of canon or making it "fit" with Fett's known timeline. These are things you cannot explore with Boba Fett as a protagonist, and the series is called The Mandalorian and not Star Wars: Bounty Hunter.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
He wears the armor, but is not from the planet. It would be more accurate to say that he's a Kaminoan (he's still not) since he was actually born on Kamino in a test tube. It's like if I lived in America all of my life, but wore Japanese samurai armor all the time and proclaimed myself as Japanese despite not having been anywhere near Japan.
I love this example lol

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Boba Fett looks like this:

ede234e83ae2ceb23089a9cdf41dd4ab67cefe77156e4ba7f2499ea1218f82c0.jpg

That's Jango Fett. Boba is his clone. Boba should basically look somewhat identity to Jango. We already know that the Mandalorian is played by a completely different actor, so it shouldn't be Boba. Unless he surgically changed his face or something.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm glad he's somebody be less new. I don't need a rehash. That said, I'm sure the original Boba will return. Temuera Morrison is the right age for how old Boba Fett would be at this point in time in-universe

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Did Solo teach us nothing about the need to move into new territory in the Star Wars universe? The sooner Lucasfilm feels comfortable moving away from the core characters and telling original stories, especially in spinoff and Star Wars Story films (assuming those ever even come back), the better. Boba Fett has plenty of (terrible) backstory and material available. Tell new stories with this property already.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I think Boba Fett has a similar essence to Deadpool in that they're both these edgy fan-favorites for a long time the mainstream didn't get—or in Boba's case still hasn't gotten. In that way I believe a big, great Fett-centric adaptation could be made with enough input from people who love and/or understand the character.

Maybe that's what The Mandalorian is without Boba actually being the lead, which would be kind of lame. Maybe it'll be something totally different. Maybe he'll be a supporting character in it. Who knows, but I'm interested in it regardless. I like fancy productions, Dave Filoni, Star Wars, and Pedro Pascal.