• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Mandalorian is a nationality, not an ethnicity. Boba is cloned from one, but is technically not one himself unless he filled out the paperwork at some point.

Edit: Turns out even Jango was disavowed by Mandalore, so he's either an ex-Mandalorian or just a guy who stole a suit of their armor.

Last edited:

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Because the cool things about Fett were the visual and the aura of mystery surrounding him.

CannedSoup

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, I like boba fett and was excited for his movie, but I think making him a new character is the right call.

The prequels really ruined the mystery of him, hardly anything about him is unique anymore right down to his face.

And he went out like a chump. It's hard to come back from such a goofy death, if this was boba fett I'd expect other characters teasing him for being taken out by a blind man

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
kisspng-sabine-wren-ahsoka-tano-anakin-skywalker-star-wars-whoa-i-think-sabine-rebels-character-was-just-t-5b81d4c6b3e295.9869690215352352707368.jpg

Only other Mandalorian that should appear.

Find your man girl!

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Fett family / legacy / history was trashed by the Prequels and the shitty inclusion of them in everything.

Thank god it's not.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
No. Boba Fett only wore the armour. Jango got the armour probably from killing a Mandalorian and Boba is a clone of Jango.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
kisspng-sabine-wren-ahsoka-tano-anakin-skywalker-star-wars-whoa-i-think-sabine-rebels-character-was-just-t-5b81d4c6b3e295.9869690215352352707368.jpg

Only other Mandalorian that should appear.

Find your man girl!
i would like a sabine series. she's great.

BUT

i've never been less moved by a ship than sabine/ezra and that's not about to change. i mean, don't get me wrong, the 'sabine and ahsoka go looking for ezra' show would probably be great, but i still don't think they should, like, date.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Reminds me that I hope they don't waste time and bring back Phasma in 9.
I don't remember Phasma in 7, was unimpressed by her in 8. I was surprised because I saw that the character had a novel written about them and they were supposed to be some sort of badass.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember Phasma in 7, was unimpressed by her in 8. I was surprised because I saw that the character had a novel written about them and they were supposed to be some sort of badass.

The book is actually not that bad she's just all kinds of terrible in the films.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
They already stated at the panel, NO this is a new character. End of thread.

However if you asked the question could Boba Fett also be in it, then the question changes

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Let me explain in your terms, looking at your avI assume your into bikes?

Therefore all motorbikes must be the same type and traditional Harley Davidson bikes can totally be in the isle of man TT races as they have two wheels and an engine right? Now do you understand

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Ive been out of the country for the last week so I finally saw the teaser and the potato cam extended footage. It all looks great but a new character, wearing Mandalorian armor, who is employed as a bounty hunter......but isnt Boba Fett....I just have to wonder why? Setting aside the hate boner that ERA has against Fett, whats the point of creating a new character who (at least from the outset) looks like a copy of an existing character? They could have very easily given him the EU Sarlacc survival story and gone from there. I guess you could make the argument that they didnt necessarily want to be tied to the history of that character, but its not like his history was exactly well fleshed out in the first place.

I guess we will have to wait for the release of the show to see if it makes sense in context but the premise just seems a little strange from the outset.

Or S1 ending spoilers that he IS Boba Fett.

Boba Fett is dead, he was a clone of Jango Fett, who wasn't a Mandalorian. The Clone Wars confirmed that, so it's something established in both the old and new canon.

And, judging by the title and premise of the series itself, the series will actually dive into Mandalorian culture or at least his identity as a Mandalorian is going to be important, so that's probably the main reason why Boba Fett isn't the main character.

Also, reviving Fett would probably be too much. They already are reviving Palpatine (maybe) and revived Maul, so reviving Fett just feels... lame.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Wonder if they'll add any other of the bounty hunters from Empire in the show. Having one of the remaining IG-88 droids in that trailer was hype, would also like to see Dengar, 4-Lom, Zuckuss and Bossk. Boba already had his time in the spot light time to move on.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
i would like a sabine series. she's great.

BUT

i've never been less moved by a ship than sabine/ezra and that's not about to change. i mean, don't get me wrong, the 'sabine and ahsoka go looking for ezra' show would probably be great, but i still don't think they should, like, date.

Ezra and Sabine are never really portrayed as a couple. He had a childish crush on her that annoyed her into being a real bitch to him. On season 1 they can barely be called acquaintances

As Ezra matures they become actual friends, best friends even and you can definitely see that they could be something more either a couple or a brother sister dynamic.

Shit happened and we just know she cares about him enough to risk her life finding him.

Sadly I fully expect Ezra to die to Snoke in a halfassed attempt to give him a backstory

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Mandalorian is a nationality, not an ethnicity. Boba is cloned from one, but is technically not one himself unless he filled out the paperwork at some point.

Edit: Turns out even Jango was disavowed by Mandalore, so he's either an ex-Mandalorian or just a guy who stole a suit of their armor.

Yeah. Mandalorians are Humans but are from Mandalore.

Technically you could call the humans from Coruscant... Coruscantians?

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Ezra and Sabine are never really portrayed as a couple. He had a childish crush on her that annoyed her into being a real bitch to him. On season 1 they can barely be called acquaintances

As Ezra matures they become actual friends, best friends even and you can definitely see that they could be something more either a couple or a brother sister dynamic.

Shit happened and we just know she cares about him enough to risk her life finding him.

Sadly I fully expect Ezra to die to Snoke in a halfassed attempt to give him a backstory
yeah my position on it is that they're much better as good friends/comrades, and that's the relationship that developed between them after he got over his - as you say, childish; i never thought sabine did anything unreasonable regarding it - crush. they work well as good friends, best friends even, but just have zero romantic chemistry, at least to me.

and yea i really hope they don't go that route with ezra. he was always my least favourite bit of rebels, honestly, but he still deserves better than that.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Because there are many many mandalorians, all with different looks.

The KOTOR and Clone Wars series go into this.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
They didn't want to write a story about Boba Fett, so they aren't.

It's really simple.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just watch them reveal in the show that it's Boba Fett. Why else is he just called "the mandalorian".

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
the truth is that Boba Fett is basically the least interesting "Mandalorian" character in the franchise

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
The book is actually not that bad she's just all kinds of terrible in the films.

The book (and comics) bends over backwards to explain her actions in TFA, which basically are incomprehensible (the best soldier of the First Order betrays them?). It kinda salvages it - but that was honestly one of the biggest character issues in Episode VII

Katori

Oct 30, 2017

Not a Mandalorian. Spelled out by canon material.

Is this the "canon material" that people keep flaunting saying Jango is not Mandalorian? This is one bureaucrat guy saying one random thing about Jango, which quickly gets interrupted. He could be lying. He could be covering up. This could EASILY be retconned. Does any other canon material state that Jango is not a Mandalorian?

I just don't think people should take stories at such face value. One character's statement within a story does not always make canon by itself.

Perhaps the series could delve into this topic. Now, that would be something. But they have to earn it for a season or two first.

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
A) He's NOT a Mandalorian.

B) In this time period he's dead

C) Why the hell does every character in Star Wars have to be related to another? There's an entire universe of people. There's also an entire race that is not Boba Fett.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Is this the "canon material" that people keep flaunting saying Jango is not Mandalorian? This is one bureaucrat guy saying one random thing about Jango, which quickly gets interrupted. He could be lying. He could be covering up. This could EASILY be retconned. Does any other canon material state that Jango is not a Mandalorian?

I just don't think people should take stories at such face value. One character's statement within a story does not always make canon by itself.

Perhaps the series could delve into this topic. Now, that would be something. But they have to earn it for a season or two first.

She's the Duchess of Mandalore, so that's pretty authoritative.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Oh we have. Boba doesn't even have Mandalorian Armor until he steals it.

But please. Do go ahead with your dismissive "TCW doesn't count and no one will respect it".

That has worked wonders before.

I'm sure Filoni is eager to retcon his own character work, cause you know, he's working on The Mandalorian

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And what is this legacy?
Getting yeeted by a blind man and rocketed towards a monster?

haha! Well that was the end of his story (at least before he came back). The prequels made him a little kid with a dad who was part of a gigantic cloning operation...He went from a being an unknown, with an illusive history of bounty hunting and scavenging, to having his family history being a part of one of the most important parts of the clone wars...bleh!!! Overdose...

It's like explaining the Kessel Run with Han Solo. Much more interesting not knowing the details...if he did it, how he did it, etc. Shouldn't matter.

Or how interesting Lt. Spiers is in Band of Brothers. His character is far more interesting because you don't know if he did what he did.

Fett should have remained just a mostly quiet bounty hunter, and not a part of some huge super soldier cloning project.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
haha! Well that was the end of his story (at least before he came back). The prequels made him a little kid with a dad who was part of a gigantic cloning operation...He went from a being an unknown, with an illusive history of bounty hunting and scavenging, to having his family history being a part of one of the most important parts of the clone wars...bleh!!! Overdose...

It's like explaining the Kessel Run with Han Solo. Much more interesting not knowing the details...if he did it, how he did it, etc. Shouldn't matter.

Or how interesting Lt. Spiers is in Band of Brothers. His character is far more interesting because you don't know if he did what he did.

Fett should have remained just a mostly quiet bounty hunter, and not a part of some huge super soldier cloning project.

Is this one of those "In my kid mind it was cooler" posts?

Because you certainly didn't answer my question. How is that a legacy?

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
The book (and comics) bends over backwards to explain her actions in TFA, which basically are incomprehensible (the best soldier of the First Order betrays them?). It kinda salvages it - but that was honestly one of the biggest character issues in Episode VII

Finn literally threw her into the trash after she gave up her base so yeah it's hard to come back from that.

I imagine the ginger nazi is going to have a similar issue if J.J. tries to make him anything other than a giant joke after his appearance in TLJ.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
There's absolutely nothing interesting about Boba Fett from the movies save for his look. His actions made him look like a complete idiot.

I'm perfectly fine they go with another Mandolorian than try to explain the backstory of a throwaway (literally) character.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this one of those "In my kid mind it was cooler" posts?

Because you certainly didn't answer my question. How is that a legacy?

He had less than 10 minutes of screentime, yet people seemed to love him quite a bit, so they brought him back and had him do a bunch of bounter hunter shit that was pretty cool. Unfortunately they went overdose with the Prequels and then cut the rest of his legacy out.

Have you read any of the books or comics? Tales, Adventures, the Omnibus stuff...He did some really awesome things in those.

Unfortunately, either way, the EU has been mostly removed so I'm not sure what is cannon anymore. He got dusted in ROTJ and I guess that's that. The cool stuff was the comics and book that came out after the OT. The shitty stuff, however, emerged during the prequels, and mostly everything of him as a kid, the cloning crap, and the Jango prequel stuff all felt extremely forced to me, which is, I think, what we're stuck with.

I'm not saying you're wrong about his legacy. I'm just saying his legacy would have been better if the prequel stuff wasn't so in your face with his history.

Hope that makes sense.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Come on now. If there was a Star Wars show where the main character wore Darth Vader armor but with a different color, you don't think people would ask "Why not just make the show about Vader?"