• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
Ive been out of the country for the last week so I finally saw the teaser and the potato cam extended footage. It all looks great but a new character, wearing Mandalorian armor, who is employed as a bounty hunter......but isnt Boba Fett....I just have to wonder why? Setting aside the hate boner that ERA has against Fett, whats the point of creating a new character who (at least from the outset) looks like a copy of an existing character? They could have very easily given him the EU Sarlacc survival story and gone from there. I guess you could make the argument that they didnt necessarily want to be tied to the history of that character, but its not like his history was exactly well fleshed out in the first place.

I guess we will have to wait for the release of the show to see if it makes sense in context but the premise just seems a little strange from the outset.

Or S1 ending spoilers that he IS Boba Fett.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Because there are a lot of mandalorians

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some star wars fans have such a narrow view of the universe. I would hate for people like you to be in charge of the series.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I thought Boba Fett was supposed to be the last Mandalorian, but that might have been something from the old EU that got erased.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
For causal fans and especially if you havent read EU books, many will assume its Boba Fett.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Because Star Wars fans wanting everything to be the same people or family is a real problem for the long term health of the franchise.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
It's a big Galaxy (Far Far Away... hah) If someone's a bounty hunter in Mandalorian armour, that doesn't mean It's Boba.... Probably like how if someone is wearing a Jedi robe, doesn't make them a Jedi. It's still just clothing.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Fett is 40 during Mandalorian. No doubt he will appear at some point. His movie was put on pause. I'd expect him to get one in 4-6 years

Also new Canon has Jango not being a real mandalorian. So Boba isn't either

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Because Boba is chilling inside the Sarlacc Pit
I have no clue if this is set before or after RotJ

Serious answer: Because Boba is a bad guy that works with the Empire and they never want you to root for a villain. Hell, they actually went out of their way to confirm that the droid who looks exactly like IG-88 actually isn't IG-88.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Boba Fett is not a Mandalorian in the new canon. And basically wasn't since the prequels when Jango Fett was introduced and the Clone Wars happened

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because Boba having a cameo in the season finale will be cooler than having him as the main character.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because constantly reusing and referencing characters from the original trilogy is boring as hell.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Because Boba Fett fucking sucks and just about any other Mandalorian (of which there are many) are better.

Fett is also dead.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
latest

Mandalorian=you come from the planet Mandalore. Boba Fett was one of many.

Because Boba Fett ISN'T a Mandalorian.
So TIL Boba Fett is a clone of Jango fett, not his son. WTF....

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Boba surviving the sarlacc pit is dumb as hell and I hope it never happens in the new canon

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Boba isn't Mandalorian

2. Boba is dead

3. Boba is not a mystery anymore and they want a character who carries out the archetype that Boba embodied pre-AotC

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm confused. Boba Fett isn't supposed to die in some stupid and horrific fashion in ROTJ ? Why people assume he is still alive ?

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Basing it around a new character who is an actual Mandalorian is a lot more interesting to me than bringing back Boba Fett. We need more new characters.

Because Boba having a cameo in the season finale will be cooler than having him as the main character.

Him not being in it at all would be cooler than that.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
In the current cannon I don't think Boba is even a Mandalorian he just wears Mandalorian armour.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because Boba Fett fucking sucks and just about any other Mandalorian (of which there are many) are better.

Fett is also dead.

+1 brother, even though you're going to get flamed.

What exactly have we seen him do? Posture, claim victory for Vader's capture, and then die. Dude wasn't even fast enough to stop Leia from threatening Jabba with a Thermal Detonator.

Outside of the non-canon EU Boba Fett hasn't done shit to earn the fame he has.

OP
OP
HellforLeather
Oct 29, 2017
so reusing Boba Fett is lame but having a character that more or less looks just like him and has the same profession and acts the same, isnt? I didnt realize that Dash Rendar had so many fans!

again, i could be totally wrong and the story could have a complete justification for all of this, Im just talking about the initial impressions of what has been shown

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so reusing Boba Fett is lame but having a character that more or less looks just like him and has the same profession and acts the same, isnt? I didnt realize that Dash Rendar had so many fans!

again, i could be totally wrong and the story could have a complete justification for all of this, Im just talking about the initial impressions of what has been shown

Some characters are universal. Everyone loves Dash, Wedge... and Porkins.

You can have a Fett like character but they need to be their own thing. Jango Fett was lame because he was Boba Fett .1

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Presumably because they wanted to have a better and more charismatic lead actor than Temuera Morrison.

If they did Boba Fett they would have to set it during the Original Trilogy, when they probably want something closer to the Sequel Trilogy.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017

There are literally hundreds of thousands if not millions of Mandalorians, plenty of them are Bounty Hunters and The Mandalorian has done more in a 7 minute clip and trailer than Boba Fett has done in his entire existence.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up as a surprise tease at the end of season 1 and is a major character in season 2.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, and I'm sure the Season 1 Cliffhanger Ending will probably be them discovering that Fett is alive.

If they couldn't resist trotting out Darth Maul again for the end of Solo, there's no way they won't resurrect Fett somehow.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017

He wears the armor, but is not from the planet. It would be more accurate to say that he's a Kaminoan (he's still not) since he was actually born on Kamino in a test tube. It's like if I lived in America all of my life, but wore Japanese samurai armor all the time and proclaimed myself as Japanese despite not having been anywhere near Japan.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

undefined
Again, Boba Fett isn't the only mandalorian. There's like an entire planet of people who wear that armor and style. Plus the show takes place several years after his death.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Because then hes Boba Fett and that can severely alter anything you had planned for the character, it basically comes with a long set of rules. New character = you can do what you want creatively.

MagicHobo

Oct 27, 2017
We already know Boba Fett's background and where he ended up. A new character offers much more potential to build something interesting from the ground up while still taking advantage of recognizable and frankly cool visual elements. It's Boba's cool look (which was really all that ever made him interesting) without all the baggage.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not interested in learning how Boba Fett got his iconic jet pack or the backstory about the color of his helmet over several episodes of tv.