• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm making this thread with a deep sadness in my heart. One of my most beloved franchises in gaming has gone dormant for over 7.5 years now after the lackluster F.3.A.R. or FEAR 3. We have not heard a peep since that game came out and according to Wikipedia Warner still owns the rights to the franchise (except for the first game). Original developer Monolith has been stuck making the Mordor games for a few years now and Day 1 Studios (co-developer of the first game) has dissolved into Wargaming. Worst part is the fact that the first and arguably best game is not available for (standalone) purchase on either Steam or Xbox Live. With the first game rights still owned by Sierra/Vivendi its hard to say what will even happen to the first game since Sierra and Vivendi are pretty much non existent these days. Maybe the current franchise owners Warner don't want to first game to be made available for purchase, I don't know how videogame rights work at all? This makes a backwards compatible release on Xbox One a distant dream as well it seems :(

Will we ever see F.E.A.R. back? There have been very few games that come close to the atmosphere and action that the first game introduced all the way back in 2005, almost 14 years ago! Please join me in reminiscing and remembering these great games ERA.

3081889-7889328803-28962.gif

3323427-4946329409-29641.gif

Last edited:

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I though WB was able to acquire the full IP during the development of FEAR 2?

Anyway, would love to see at least a trilogy remaster for current gen. F3AR was bad but it's quite fun in co-op at least.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Monolith is making LOTR games, SP FEAR or even MP FEAR is not going to happen.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I'm afraid so. F.E.A.R. is one of the many great IP's that was ruined to please the mainstream console audience. The first F.E.A.R was SOOOOO good!

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing is ever dead. We are living in an era where someone made a new Bubsy game and Shenmue 3 is in development.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Warner owns the rights to all the games, including F.E.A.R. (1) and its standalone expansions.

Day 1 Studios still exists, they're now Wargaming Chicago-Baltimore. You can probably guess which franchise they're working on.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Yeah, although Vivendi published the original game, Monolith was the sole copyright claimant, so publishing rights eventually reverted to WB.

Speaking of FEAR 2, I seem to recall Monolith saying some time after it was announced that the reason lean was ditched is that the game was envisioned as multiplatform from the off and so the base control scheme had to take into account controllers... even though the PS360 versions of the original game support lean. I don't think I've ever been able to dig up the source, though, so every time that pops into my head, I wonder if I imagined it.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
The first game was AMAZING,I remember playing it at launch 15 years ago. Then the 2nd one was good,but more actiony and inferior overall to the first one.

Haven't played the 3rd at all

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
^^ At Jasec - one thing they changed from FEAR 1 to FEAR 2 was that the game no longer had linked first and 3rd person animations and models. In FEAR 1, the models in FP view animated a bit stiffly and looked low poly because they were just 2005 era 3rd person models with the camera lined up with the face plate. But it having that gave it some greater sense of tactileness and a different look feel in general than FEAR 2. Fear 2 has awesome gun models and animations in general I think, but since it is using cheating FPP view you are definitely less connected with the world.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Unfortunately it would seem so. Monolith is too busy making LOTR games. Our only hope is that whatever that first person game NetherRealm is working on is actually a Fear reboot. Still wouldn't advice holding your breath.

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

Anyway, would love to see at least a trilogy remaster for current gen. F3AR was bad but it's quite fun in co-op at least.
Warner owns the rights to all the games, including F.E.A.R. (1) and its standalone expansions.

Day 1 Studios still exists, they're now Wargaming Chicago-Baltimore. You can probably guess which franchise they're working on.
Yeah, although Vivendi published the original game, Monolith was the sole copyright claimant, so publishing rights eventually reverted to WB.

Speaking of FEAR 2, I seem to recall Monolith saying some time after it was announced that the reason lean was ditched is that the game was envisioned as multiplatform from the off and so the base control scheme had to take into account controllers... even though the PS360 versions of the original game support lean. I don't think I've ever been able to dig up the source, though, so every time that pops into my head, I wonder if I imagined it.
Ah, my bad the Wiki page is kinda confusing. It seems the PS3 and 360 versions, which were developed by Day 1 Studios, was published by Vivendi and not Warner? At least thats what I'm reading under the sequel tab. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.E.A.R.?wprov=sfla1

Still doesnt explain why I can't buy the first game on Steam or Xbox Live, while both 2 & 3 can be bought.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A new F.E.A.R. is something I do expect to happen eventually, albeit as a reboot - the original franchise, as far as it's concerned, is dead. Let's not forget that the first F.E.A.R. was a HUGE name in PC gaming back in the day, deservedly hyped up and appreciated alongside the other FPS classics of the decade like Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Duke Nukem Forever (in hindsight this may not be a compliment, heh). I remember people losing their shit when the first demo (or beta?) dropped for the game. I'm sure the IP has enough potential to get revived at one point for multiple reasons:
- IP still has a potentially intriguing name, plus you can't really go easier than something like FEAR to sell a horror product
- horror games, first person especially, are seeing a massive resurgence
- at the same time, many people are getting tired of the "walking simulator" aspect of these horror games: add competent shooting mechanisms and bam, instahit
- while the whole Japanese horror-style may be less relevan than when we got American versions for The Ring, The Grudge, etc., it's still something worth digging into

So yeah, I think that there could be a future for this franchise as a reboot. It definitely did a lot of things right, and I feel that the first game's mindfucks were something that a lot of people overlooked (probably because the game did look like a generic if dark shooter) but are actually deeply enjoying in other games (like MGSV). If the IP isn't in a license hell I expect to see it rebooted at one point, hopefully sooner rather than later that is because the first person horror games may not stay popular forever.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I actually enjoyed Fear 3 more than 2. But 1 is definitely still the best. I still need to play the expansions for it at some point. Slow-Mo shotgun is just the best.

As for the viability of the series. It being stuck in WBs hand definitely isn't a great sign. They didn't even wanna rerelease the suffering until GoG basically payed for it.

Hopefully at some point there's a reboot. The original with the same ideas but modern tech would probably be rad.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'd love for it to come back, or for the first game to be remastered. FEAR 2 and 3 really were unneccessary, they can stay where they are.

Some of the original devs made Betrayer, didn't they? I enjoyes that one, too.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sadly dead probably. FEAR 1 was top tier, FEAR 2, while I enjoyed it, just didn't have any of the same impact, felt closer to other shooters than the first one (lighting and effects paired back, as above the disconnect with the world etc). FEAR 3 ..... well I kind of enjoyed it for what it was, but yeah that was some weird shit. Series got worse over time rather than better.

Also, FEAR thread so here we go -

1_by_thesheerog-d718evq.gif

2_by_thesheerog-d718eje.gif

Sequels never recreated that.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After the abomination that was F.E.A.R. 3, I can't feel sad about this franchise anymore. I'd rather not see any new games if they are gonna be like that. The F2P multiplayer game was the punchline of a very bad joke, and helped make my peace with this series' fate.

The first game will live forever in my heart, and I also loved the sequel and enjoyed the expansions. I truly can't ask any more of it.

If I'm not mistaken, the version of F.E.A.R. 2 we got was originally going to be console exclusive. Monolith was making a separate PC game too, but at some point they cancelled it and made the console edition the main and only version, releasing it on PC too. It's clear that game has been extremely consolized, including the fact that the manual save system is completely gone.

Ah, my bad the Wiki page is kinda confusing. It seems the PS3 and 360 versions, which were developed by Day 1 Studios, was published by Vivendi and not Warner? At least thats what I'm reading under the sequel tab. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.E.A.R.?wprov=sfla1

Still doesnt explain why I can't buy the first game on Steam or Xbox Live, while both 2 & 3 can be bought.
You can buy the first game on Steam. It comes with both expansions, Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate.

IXI FalcoN

Oct 27, 2017
Only the first and its expansions were any good. The sequels were mediocre trend chasers even at the time of release.

I don't see the series making a comeback, at least in the form of the original. It was made during the HL2 era of shooters and that design philosophy is long dead.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I'd really like another solid game in the series. I liked 1, loved 2, and thought 3 was passable but nothing special. I think the story got too shark jumpy in 3 but a new title could retcon all of that.

This also makes me want another Condemned. Despite all the hate it got I really liked the second one. I've only played a handful of hours of the first and thought it was okay but the environments felt bland and uninteresting. (I played the second one first)

WB owns them both right? But afaik Condemned is stuck in IP limbo?

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the series was anything special to begin with, so I'm honestly not missing it. The original FEAR had some fantastic FPS and AI mechanics covered in boring, drabby environments and an unsatisfying story that made it a pretty soulless experience in the end. And the sequels definitely weren't an improvement. The FPS and J-horror cross-over was pretty ambitious though, and I'd like to see someone else tackle it.

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
After the abomination that was F.E.A.R. 3, I can't feel sad about this franchise anymore. I'd rather not see any new games if they are gonna be like that. The F2P multiplayer game was the punchline of a very bad joke, and helped make my peace with this series' fate.

The first game will live forever in my heart, and I also loved the sequel and enjoyed the expansions. I truly can't ask any more of it.

If I'm not mistaken, the version of F.E.A.R. 2 we got was originally going to be console exclusive. Monolith was making a separate PC game too, but at some point they cancelled it and made the console edition the main and only version, releasing it on PC too. It's clear that game has been extremely consolized, including the fact that the manual save system is completely gone.

You can buy the first game on Steam. It comes with both expansions, Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate.

No, thats what I meant in the OP with can't buy it seperate because the listing you show as well is a complete pack, so with both sequels included. Kind of silly I have to pay €55 to just play the first game, and get all the other ones I dont want. The first game isn't listed solo on Steam.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

Ah, that may be it. I want to say I read about it on GAF, but when I went hunting for the thread once upon a time, I couldn't find it. In any case, I didn't actually mind FEAR 2 overall, and I believe I played it on the PS3. 3, on the other hand, I've never bothered to give the time of day.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It can't Really be turned into an open world RPG shooter And as far as I know THQ Nordic hasn't shown any interest in picking the IP up so yeah, there's really no way it's coming back.

I'm one of the psychopaths that loves all three of them including their expansion packs so I understand the pain, once F.E.A.R. Online came out though I pretty much came to terms with the fact that the series had seen its final days.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I never finished the first but I absolutely loved FEAR 2, really hope it comes to Xbox BC with some X Enhancements one day.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, thats what I meant in the OP with can't buy it seperate because the listing you show as well is a complete pack, so with both sequels included. Kind of silly I have to pay €55 to just play the first game, and get all the other ones I dont want. The first game isn't listed solo on Steam.

It's also on GOG, considerably cheaper - https://www.gog.com/game/fear_platinum - and FEAR 2 is on there too - https://www.gog.com/game/fear_2_project_origin_reborn

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
What an odd question to ask when it's been like a decade since the last Fear game lol. It's not officially dead "now", it's officially dead "still"

George Romero

Oct 5, 2018
FEAR 1 - One of the best fps i ever played, amazing AI, gameplay, graphics
FEAR 2 - I dont know what are they thinking, but they downgraded all the positive aspects of the first game.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, turns out you're right. That's weird, I could swear it was available for individual purchase before.

Ah, that may be it. I want to say I read about it on GAF, but when I went hunting for the thread once upon a time, I couldn't find it. In any case, I didn't actually mind FEAR 2 overall, and I believe I played it on the PS3. 3, on the other hand, I've never bothered to give the time of day.
Yeah, a while ago the same happened to me. I couldn't find any source for that. Maybe it wasn't true after all? I do recall reading it as fact though.

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
Everything prior to F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin was published by Vivendi (Sierra label).

Monolith was acquired by Warner during the development of F.E.A.R. (1), but they didn't own the F.E.A.R. name. Vivendi did. The two standalone expansions that followed were developed by TimeGate Studios and published by Vivendi who were also planning a 'F.E.A.R. 2'.

Meanwhile Monolith was working on a their own proper sequel to F.E.A.R. (1), but they couldn't call it F.E.A.R. 2. It was announced as Project Origin. When the Activision/Vivendi Games merger happened, Vivendi's F.E.A.R. 2 game got cancelled and the F.E.A.R. IP was sold off to Warner.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm making this thread with a deep sadness in my heart. One of my most beloved franchises in gaming has gone dormant for over 7.5 years now after the lackluster F.3.A.R. or FEAR 3. We have not heard a peep since that game came out and according to Wikipedia Warner still owns the rights to the franchise (except for the first game). Original developer Monolith has been stuck making the Mordor games for a few years now and Day 1 Studios (co-developer of the first game) has dissolved into Monolith as well. Worst part is the fact that the first and arguably best game is not available for (standalone) purchase on either Steam or Xbox Live. With the first game rights still owned by Sierra/Vivendi its hard to say what will even happen to the first game since Sierra and Vivendi are pretty much non existent these days. Maybe the current franchise owners Warner don't want to first game to be made available for purchase, I don't know how videogame rights work at all? This makes a backwards compatible release on Xbox One a distant dream as well it seems :(

Will we ever see F.E.A.R. back? There have been very few games that come close to the atmosphere and action that the first game introduced all the way back in 2005, almost 14 years ago! Please join me in reminiscing and remembering these great games ERA.

3081889-7889328803-28962.gif

3323427-4946329409-29641.gif
day 1 studio became wargaming btw

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
1 was amazing.

2 was pretty amazing.

3 was... oh my god bleach my eyes please.

It's the same with Dead Space. 2 great games and then a third that killed the series.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
1 was the one of the best FPS experiences at the time. The enemy A.I. to this day is still one of best that has ever been done in a game. 2 though not as great as 1 was still a solid game. 3 though was a massive disappointment that actively ruined what was built up in the first two games.