• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Very good for Vanilla games

People compare it a lot to BW2, HGSS, and Platinum. Very unfair comparison.

Some hate it for cutting Pokemon which is fair, it's their opinion, but if you don't care about that then you may find the game great.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the catching, raising, and battling is the best it's ever been

but as an RPG, it's pretty bad. story's bad, level design is bad, progression is bad, end game is bad

Deleted member 2441

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy playing Sword. Think they're definitely good, obviously they have their flaws but they haven't stopped me from enjoying them.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Bored me after 5 hours, too easy. But I guess I don't really like Pokémon anymore so my opinion is a bit mute.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Not really. The story and exploration aren't good. The best part about the game is online doubles matches and it's now easier to make pokemon competive. So there's that at least.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
It's ok. Story is nothing to remember and it's a challenge to make the game a challenge, but the collecting part is still fun.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Depends how much you value it being Pokemon to your review.

There's better RPGs on the Switch, buy one of those. Like Dragon Quest.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
It's a good basic Pokemon game. Pokemon requires time and iterations to build up quality and features present in previous games because that's how game development works. When you pay your 3rd $60 it should be great.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
I think it is very easily the worst game in the series. It's just a bad rpg in pretty much every aspect.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
The traditional Pokemon stuff like routes, story, characters, Pokemon league is the worst it's ever been. The new wild area stuff isn't fleshed out enough to make up for it. Hopefully the dlc's can build on S/S's new ideas.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Im currently enjoying it a lot

Its way better than the internet would have you believe but its not gonna wow in the way other contemporary long running franchises have wowed this generation

They are finally on an interesting trajectory though with the to dips into open world.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
There are some parts where it is quite fun (e.g wild area, breeding and ev training simpler than ever, music) and there are some parts that are very frustrating (e.g story, characters and most boring cities in the series). That being said I've put more than 160 hours into this and look forward to the season pass
Oh and the new pokemon are so well designed and fun to use.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Based on what I've seen, the consensus is that the basic "collect and raise" Pokemon loop is very good. It's everything around that loop, including the central story, that's severely atrophied even compared to the last few entries.

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
The new pokemon are good.

The battling is good - probably the best it's ever been.

As an RPG it's fucking terrible.

Online features are fucking terrible - though that part isn't a surprise.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
The parts where you find and catch pokemon are super fun, the rest of the game, not so much.

Aug 13, 2019
The Good: The character and Pokemon designs are amazing, some of the visuals and towns are gorgeous, and the music is great. The Gyms are pretty fun.

The Meh: Battles are the same as always, to me. No dramatic change there. The Wild Area is a welcome new addition but once you've been there once you've seen all it has to offer.

The Ugly: The story incredibly disappointing and it feels like the game is on rails. It's incredibly linear with no sense of exploration or branching points to find something interesting. Unfortunately, the dungeons and their puzzles are completely gone.

I've also got my own gripes with forced "Quality of Life" changes that basically ruin the experience for me, like forced EXP share, but that's a personal gripe.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
I've enjoyed it a lot. It's very fun despite the rushed story at the end. The Wild Area has kept me playing the game for much longer than i ever expected and i initially had zero interest in that before release.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Catching and raising is fun but it's kinda pointless when the game is so damn easy. I didn't expect a SMT game but if you watch the Dunkey video on this game, it really be like that. You just use one attack from the same Pokémon all the time. There's no incentive to really experiment with other Pokémon. The game also just felt...lifeless?

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's not a masterpiece but it's not a bad game either.

It's a simple RPG, if you're in the mood for something simple, Pokémon is one of the best choices you can make

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
A solid 8/10 JRPG.
Decent battling and collection.
Lacks the more interesting battle system or story of other JRPGs.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
My favorite one in a looong time!

LOVE the open world area, such a treat to roll around and see so many pokemon

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
It's okay. 6/10.

Lacks polish in basically all areas except for gym leaders. And the open area is atrocious.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
They're probably my least favorite games in the series. That being said, there are a lot of really cool new Pokémon designs, and the trade/breed/battle gameplay loop is as addicting as it's ever been.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Very fun, very straight forward, no dumb ass tedious caves anymore, no more 20 trainers in line on a single road waiting for you to defeat them.
I get why some would find the game disappointing, but it's seriously a fun, fast game. Don't expect difficulty or anything. I don't think it's an issue. Some studios legit want their games to be easy.
Some might not like it, but the difficulty of the game isn't an issue. It's a choice made by Game Freak, and Pokémon games have been super easy for a whiiiiile now anyway.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
It's not actively bad, if that makes sense, but it is incredibly mediocre. The Pokemon catching is good which can elevate the game for you if you are into that. Everything else is generic, boring, or braindead easy. There's honestly not much to like here beyond the actual Pokemon catching. You can sleepwalk through the battles and the story is both boring and completely linear as are all of the routes around the game. It's not a terrible game but it should have been taken to task for the sheer lack of ambition for a flagship game on the shiny new console.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
The core mechanics of Pokemon are still intact, so depending on how much of your enjoyment of Pokemon comes from that is how much you'll enjoy it.

Everything beyond that is mediocre to bad. Practically no story, horrible handholding, every route and town is lifeless window dressing with nothing to do, exploration outside of the wild area doesn't exist because it is completely linear (the only cave in the game has the complexity of X/Y's Route 1), the online features are a step down even from Diamond & Pearl (no GTS) and then borderline non-functional on top of that, difficulty is non-existent until the champion (and only then, if you've skipped every optional trainer and rushed through with only the starter), performance problems out of the wazoo in the wild area (and the game ain't even much of a looker to start with).

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing Pokemon for over 20 years. Huge fan. Put dozens of hours into every Pokemon game. Found a lot to love in every entry.

I bought Shield. I dropped the game about a quarter of the way through. It's mediocre. It single-handedly killed my enthusiasm for the franchise. I am not going to allow myself to get excited for another Pokemon game again. Not with Game Freak at the helm.

No, Sword and Shield isn't good. It's thoroughly average, and everything good that it does, is balanced by something terrible or baffling. It kind of sucks. It's a bad, poorly balanced, impossibly easy, straightforward, utterly unambitious mess. With competent core mechanics. Does that sound like a good RPG? Fuck no, unless you're without standards.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Playing it right now and having fun, they introduced a lot of features that fix a lot of the tedious aspects of previous games, lots of QOL improvements.

My biggest problem with the game right now is that the graphics are pretty bad, I expect Switch games to look much better, this just looks like an HD version of a Gamecube game.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
It's a mediocre game. Arguably worst in the series. Still an okay playthrough once, but I doubt I'll ever touch it again.

The story is horrendous. The route design is among the worst in the series, on top of there being fewer of them. The Wild Area, in its current form, is a negative addition to the series that lowers the number of unique routes in the game and also removing any semblance of any kind of wild Pokemon ecosystem in the region, making this one of the least-memorable regions in the series to date (probably in a fight with Kalos for worst). There are numerous parts of the game that are just clearly missing from the final product as several climactic moments are delivered in laughable states (taken care of off screen by another character or delivered via a joke of a goose chase to obtain a key that leads into a joke of an elevator ride). The enforcement of Exp Share and the change in capture mechanics completely hamstring anybody attempting to play the game in different ways. You're still railroaded around the region by annoying supporting characters despite the pre-release illusion of semi-openness.

The good thing is that competitive battling is in pretty good shape for the time being. If you're into that then that can probably overlook most of the previously stated issues. I personally just use Showdown these days because I can't be assed to raise the Pokemon.

It's also still Pokemon, which is just inherently some level of fun, so all of the stated issues still manage to deliver a mediocre experience instead of a bad one.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I'd say it's good but not "great". I had a lot of fun with it but I recognize that gf can and have done better.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Shield has been a fine rpg for me so far. I've been rotating my team constantly to reduce how overleveled i get so it hasn't been frustratingly easy. Fun but not mindblowing.

Cute environments.some good new monsters.gym battles turned into major sporting events feels pretty hype.

Not much exploration. Not really anything in story or worldbuilding that fuels my imagination or leaves me obsessed.

Deleted member 8901

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Boring, mediocre and basically the same game again.

I had to push myself to finish the game and I basically never want to play it again. Unless they make some big changes to the formula, I don't think I'll come back

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Low effort OP that could be handled in the official thread

Status
Not open for further replies.