• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
No. The most useless piece of tech I bought this gen.

I love the tech, but the software support is weak.
And on top of everything you have the atrocious and expensive PS3 Move controllers. Reusing that uncomfortable and limited old piece of tech that wasn't even designed for VR is a clear sign of how Sony does not care for their VR platform.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It ignores the fact that PS5 will noticeably improve the graphics shown on PSVR just like PS4 Pro does, using higher framerates and supersampling. Various games didn't make it onto PSVR because the console wasn't powerful enough, not because the headset wasn't powerful enough.

PSVR2 won't be available for a couple years so if OP wants to wait that long then fair enough. Personally, and at the current prices, I wouldn't.... You'll be able to use PSVR1 on PS5 to play new software, as well as old software in boost mode.

OP can opt for any of those headsets that you recommend, I'm just pointing out that PSVR is limited by PS4 currently, there is much room for improvement in the original product, and there won't be a successor for a while 🤷🏾‍♂️
There is a limit to how much of a benefit supersampling is. WipEout VR developers said they settled for 1600p on the Pro and 1550ish on the slim because after that there were tremendously diminishing returns.

What would be very cool to see though is the PS5 making good use of the 120hz screen.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

And on top of everything you have the atrocious and expensive PS3 Move controllers. Reusing that uncomfortable and limited old piece of tech that wasn't even designed for VR is a clear sign of how Sony does not care for their VR platform.

I mean, how many games do you need?

Guess I've about 40 or so but Wipeout alone would have been worth it.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I am 45 years old.. bought a set for my birthday 2 weeks ago.. I am loving it..
A friend tried it, he is 47.. he went out and bought a set right away..

btw.. this is my first ever experience with VR.. Astro Bot, Blood & truth, Golf etc. made me a believer..

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
PSVR in itself is worth it for the exclusives (esp if you have a ps4pro already) It excels more at sit-down experiences. The major flaw is not really the resolution, though it's behind in that too now - it's the tracking solution. The aim controller is really nice (though it suffers from tracking drift.) It does have the benefit of playing 3d blu rays - though the resolution isn't as good as it could be.

PCVR is a little more prone to bugs (everyone has a different setup) but now has better resolution and the games that are on both are much better on PCVR. It is sort of split between stores somewhat (oculus and steam, some on epic), but most stuff is on Steamvr. If you're on the lower end of the pc hardware you'll have trouble getting all the resolution in some games. You also get access to lots of experimental games - which is a nice perk, but can be time consuming. The biggest downside with PCVR is a lot of games are all motion controls so it just get's tiring to play them - even though there is some more 'wow' to how well the motion controls can work.

Technically PCVR is better, but the PSVR has a nice set of games and ecosystem to keep you happy with it. Ideally you want both.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
- Astro Bot
- WipEout Omega Collection VR
- RE7 VR
- Coming soon eventually : Dreams VR

Plus all the non-exclus :
- Tetris Effect VR
- SuperHot VR
- Beat Saber VR
- Thumper
- Space Pirate Trainer
- No Man's Sky VR

Plus some demos, plus the ability to watch 3D movies... Sure, it's not cheap, but the exclusives are amazing. I'm considering jumping on to the Quest but I'll never, ever drop the PSVR.

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
I mean, how many games do you need?

Guess I've about 40 or so but Wipeout alone would have been worth it.

Most software is basically shovelware, or a limited demo inside another game teasing what coul have been done.

I remember having my mind blown by Star Wars Battelfronf VR mission and dreaming with a full Star Wars game. But that never came, and even Battlefront 2 didn't bother to add a VR mission.

Gran Turismo VR was heavily advertised with the VR capabilities, only to find out it's just a 1 car demo race and not the entire game.

Sony didn't even bother to add a VR 3D video player on the console. The video player is 2D only. WTF were they thinking??

After the first wave of excitement, is getting dust on my shelf for years.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I am 45 years old.. bought a set for my birthday 2 weeks ago.. I am loving it..
A friend tried it, he is 47.. he went out and bought a set right away..

btw.. this is my first ever experience with VR.. Astro Bot, Blood & truth, Golf etc. made me a believer..

My brother is in his 50s and hates technology usually, he loved the Ace Combat VR missions and was playing for hours, I'm kinda jealous as that game is a bit much for me.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Bought it on sale last year for 99 and I loved it, though I hadn't touched it for several months (VR in general is too "demanding" for my lifestyle) and I have no experience with more expensive sets.

Incidentally just used it again yesterday (I guess as a substitute for "going out") and I was just amazed at VR in general again.

YouTube has hundreds of "best PSVR games" videos; the library isn't small at all and while it can be argued that most titles are somewhat gimmicky, which is often just a weird way to phrase "not AAA", I think VR suits short, quirky experiences better than full size/lenght games in many cases.

I just wish first party titles wouldn't forget about PSVR and offered at least some kind of character models / selected environments gallery for you to view in VR.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
If you can afford it, it's absolutely worth it. A lot of hidden gems. Definitely try Golemn and Deracine. Games still continually get released for it too.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
YouTube has hundreds of "best PSVR games" videos; the library isn't small at all and while it can be argued that most titles are somewhat gimmicky, which is often just a weird way to phrase "not AAA", I think VR suits short, quirky experiences better than full size/lenght games in many cases.
This exactly. VR is more "the future of home arcade gaming" rather than "the future of gaming period". Therefore, small gimmicky games can be a LOT of fun. Space Pirate Trainer is just that and it works so well. Same for Beat Saber, really, and don't even get me started on WipEout (oops, too late, you did)

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why does it need to be exclusive? If he's thinking about getting a PSVR that's a game worth checking out.
I'm totally on your side, absolutely.
I just wanted to point out that it is already worth it alone just for the exclusives. All the other games are a cherry on top, but could be played much better on let's say a quest for instance.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'd say so, with couple of caveats. For the price it's a solid headset and comfortable to use, more comfortable than many more expensive headsets (Index is more comfortable than it though). There's a large library of titles with a number of exclusives that are great such as Astrobot, Blood & Truth and Wipeout plus plenty of third party titles.

The caveats? Well, you get what you pay for and it's simply not got the resolution/performance of leading PC headsets (If yuou have Pro though it does improve things a bit). It's probably also nearing end of life. PS5 will probably allow it to perform more to it's potential than PS4 but I have to imagine than 12 to 18 months post PS5 launch there will be a PSVR2.

Overall though I'd recommend it as good option to really try out VR fairly economically. Now if you've got a PS4 and Plus you are going to tell me you added the Plus VR titles to your library over the months so you have a free little library ready to go, aren't you?

Quest is another good option I should mention for price/library too plus it is easy to use.

I've just upgraded to Index from PSVR and my word what a jump though. Bloody expensive but the best gaming centric headset/experience right now IMHO.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
I'd say so, with couple of caveats. For the price it's a solid headset and comfortable to use, more comfortable than many more expensive headsets (Index is more comfortable than it though). There's a large library of titles with a number of exclusives that are great such as Astrobot, Blood & Truth and Wipeout plus plenty of third party titles.

The caveats? Well, you get what you pay for and it's simply not got the resolution/performance of leading PC headsets (If yuou have Pro though it does improve things a bit). It's probably also nearing end of life. PS5 will probably allow it to perform more to it's potential than PS4 but I have to imagine than 12 to 18 months post PS5 launch there will be a PSVR2.

Overall though I'd recommend it as good option to really try out VR fairly economically. Now if you've got a PS4 and Plus you are going to tell me you added the Plus VR titles to your library over the months so you have a free little library ready to go, aren't you?

Quest is another good option I should mention for price/library too plus it is easy to use.

I've just upgraded to Index from PSVR and my word what a jump though. Bloody expensive but the best gaming centric headset/experience right now IMHO.
It may not have the resolution but there are other areas where it does better. Well I'm not to versed on the Index but I know PSVR has less sceendoor than Vive and Oculus because every pixel has three sub pixels. It also has better lenses that don't have god Ray's and a native 120hz screen.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
It´s great, after the initial setup hassle it´s just plugging in one cable to play and there´s tons of games. Best for seated gaming only. Most comfortable headset too out of all current options. Image quality is "soft" so put it nicely but your eyes will get adjusted after awhile as it´s all you see so no comparison points.

OP
OP
Shantae

Shantae

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
All this thread did was make me want to play Iron Man VR. And I can't. None of us can. I guess I'll just go back to bed.
Sorry...lol I am thinking about pulling the trigger after this thread though. Gonna get the one that comes with move controllers so I at least have them again. I still think they felt like shit for some games I tried it with early in PSVR's life. Have they been better optimized since release maybe? I see stuff like Blood and Truth, and Beat Saber, and I think...those games look cool, but oh god, I'm gonna lose tracking all the time cuz of those move controllers.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I'm totally on your side, absolutely.
I just wanted to point out that it is already worth it alone just for the exclusives. All the other games are a cherry on top, but could be played much better on let's say a quest for instance.

Ah gotcha. In my opinion Astro Bot alone was worth the price of the PSVR. It sold VR for me.

OP
OP
Shantae

Shantae

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Ah gotcha. In my opinion Astro Bot alone was worth the price of the PSVR. It sold VR for me.
I'll probably have to get that game, but what's frustrating is that this seems like something you have to experience yourself to even know what people are talking about. In video form, it just does nothing to make it look special, but people sing it's praises all the time. Wish it was on sale on PSN.

Deleted member 13155

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its worth it. Its not that I play it religiously but every time I hook it up its really cool.

To me it was worth it for Rez alone. Wipeout, Astro Bot and RE7 are icing.

OP
OP
Shantae

Shantae

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I ended up getting the PSVR bundle that comes with Blood and Truth, and Everybody's Golf, and the two move controllers, (and the camera too obviously). I also ordered Firewall Zero with the Aim controller. I'm not interested in that game much, but I wanted the Aim controller. I was able to order both from a best buy with curbside pick up today, so I'll be leaving when they open up later.

Since I got the Aim Controller, is Farpoint worth it? I watched some video, and while people seem to complain that the enviorment is kinda boring, it still looked kinda cool...I'm also thinking I might want Borderlands 2 VR someday, but not at $50 which is what it is on PSN. I tried watching reviews for some of these games on PSVR Without Parole, and while his videos are very informative, dude just seems to love PSVR, and it sounds rare that he says he doesn't like a game.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's solid. If you're deeply interested in the known VR-only titles, then I say go for it. Otherwise, it did absolutely nothing for me any title that was available elsewhere.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up getting the PSVR bundle that comes with Blood and Truth, and Everybody's Golf, and the two move controllers, (and the camera too obviously). I also ordered Firewall Zero with the Aim controller. I'm not interested in that game much, but I wanted the Aim controller. I was able to order both from a best buy with curbside pick up today, so I'll be leaving when they open up later.

Since I got the Aim Controller, is Farpoint worth it? I watched some video, and while people seem to complain that the enviorment is kinda boring, it still looked kinda cool...I'm also thinking I might want Borderlands 2 VR someday, but not at $50 which is what it is on PSN. I tried watching reviews for some of these games on PSVR Without Parole, and while his videos are very informative, dude just seems to love PSVR, and it sounds rare that he says he doesn't like a game.
Farpoint is good, so is Borderlands but less of a showpiece. Also, get Wipeout. If a game could make you orgasm... It would be this one 😂

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't used it all that much, but I'm glad I have it. Astro bot and Ace Combat 7 are amazing. I would probably wait to see what happens with it on PS5 before buying a headset today, though.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
What PC do you have is important here. PCVR is better on a tech side than PSVR but depending on your hardware PSVR might be the better choice. It also has some killer exclusives like Wipeout, Blood & Truth, Astro Bot, Firewall: Zero Hour, Resi 7 VR and Until Dawn Rush of Blood. It's also pretty much plug and play while PCVR can have some fiddling around with to get an optimal experience.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Farpoint is really fun, yes. And don't forget the VR GOTY 2018 Astro Bot. And you should try Resident Evil 7 in VR, too (no matter if you have played it already without VR, or not) :)

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Farpoint is good, so is Borderlands but less of a showpiece. Also, get Wipeout. If a game could make you orgasm... It would be this one 😂
Oh shit, I totally forgot about borderlands 2 VR. Loved that games aswell, it's really immersive and works best with the aim controller.

These are my top aim controller games:
Borderlands 2 (for single player)
Firewall (for multiplayer)
Farpoint (for single player)

I also got huge playtime out of honor and duty. Works perfect with the aim controller and is usually very cheap. Artstyle is pretty basic but it's still immersive and lots of fun.

Imagine medal of honor allied assault multiplayer in VR - minus real life like graphics. Then you got honor and duty.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
You'd would be better off with a Quest than PSVR. I've played Beat Saber every day since I got my Quest in the middle of January, but I'd have given up on it after a couple weeks without mod support.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
I'm buying it for Iron Man VR when that eventually comes out, is Skyrim VR any good?

It´s allright if you can accept the jank :D put 30 hours into it myself, it´s awesome to just wander the lands as the sense of scale is amazing. Combat is at the same time awesome and broken. As you can dualwield you can fight two different enemies at the same time but using bows and wildly swinging swords is just silly :D That´s with the Moves´ that aren´t really good for navigation. Playing with a Dualshock is very comfortable but then you only get the added 3D depth but lose immersion, i swapped between the controllers depending on my mood. So in the end i would recommend Skyrim VR.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
It´s allright if you can accept the jank :D put 30 hours into it myself, it´s awesome to just wander the lands as the sense of scale is amazing. Combat is at the same time awesome and broken. As you can dualwield you can fight two different enemies at the same time but using bows and wildly swinging swords is just silly :D That´s with the Moves´ that aren´t really good for navigation. Playing with a Dualshock is very comfortable but then you only get the added 3D depth but lose immersion, i swapped between the controllers depending on my mood. So in the end i would recommend Skyrim VR.
I found that riding around (on Shadowmere) from town to town (no fast travel), and taking and completing quests as and when I felt like it, and wondering into ruins and shout like that was such an enjoyable way to play. Especially stoned 😂

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
If you can find PSVR for a good discount you would be happy. $200 bundle plus purchases of the hits will probably net you hundreds of hours of entertainment.

FYI, I got a Oculus Quest around Christmas and it's now my daily driver. It feels next generation compared to PSVR (and most wired PCVR sets to be honest) because of the wireless aspects. It really is pick up and play.

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
Sony didn't even bother to add a VR 3D video player on the console. The video player is 2D only. WTF were they thinking??
It does.
You're wrong.

3D Content
If you use a 3D TV display, you can play 3D content on PS VR in some capacity. 3 Frame packing (720/50p, 720/60p, 1080/24p), top-and-bottom (720/50p, 720/60p, 1080/24p), and side-by-side (1080/60p, 1080/50p) formats are supported.
If you play 3D content, it will show on the TV in 3D, but will only show 2D in the PS VR Headset.
If you watch a 3D Blu-Ray Disc, it will show on the TV in 3D, and will show 3D in the PS VR Headset. You will need to have the PS VR Processor Unit software version 2.5 to watch 3D Blu-Ray Disc through your VR Headset.
Source: https://support.playstation.com/s/article/PS-VR-Supported-Video-Formats?language=en_US

From 2017: https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/6qviwn/watching_3d_movies_in_psvr_is_fun/

Just google it for more informations. 3D BR are 100% supported and much more.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I poured hundreds of £ into it with zero regrets but I couldn't truthfully say it's "worth it". The novelty factor of VR in general carried a lot of weight for me.

That said, RE7 and Astrobot are some of my best ever gaming experiences. When the tracking felt like working, Blood and Truth was also amazing. Wipeout is also some mind blowing craziness.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It may not have the resolution but there are other areas where it does better. Well I'm not to versed on the Index but I know PSVR has less sceendoor than Vive and Oculus because every pixel has three sub pixels. It also has better lenses that don't have god Ray's and a native 120hz screen.
Oh yeah that's part of why I'd recommend it; it's a solid headset that's comfortable to wear with minmal screendoor (I really don't notice it much in PSVR at all) and good lenses. The resolution is a challenge at times for games like No Man's Sky and Skyrim VR as it results in much blurrier distant images than other headsets but the overall package is good plus with Astro Bot and Wipeout (to name two favourites) you're getting games that are well balanced to the headset.

Given the much lower cost of a PS4 vs a higher end PC I'd argue PSVR is the best entry option choice if you don't have a high end PC closely followed by Quest.

If money's no object then I'd promote Index with beefy PC as the way to go to.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's absolutely worth it.

Though, I don't expect HL: Alyx to ever work with it, maybe with PSVR2.
Some people say wait for PSVR2, but we have literally no idea when that's coming, and that was before covid. I say go for it, assuming you're in a stable place financially.

Oct 26, 2017

You can play 3D movies, but only in the original 3D TV sense. You can't natively play actual VR 360 or 180 videos. For that you need Littlstar, which became a paid service some time ago (if you want to use sideloaded videos which is the entire point). I'm currently using it while I'm isolated anyway and it has improved a lot, but still very expensive for what you get.

As for games, of those I've tried:

Omega tier:
Beat Saber
Superhot
Astro Bot

Great tier:
Wipeout (if you can take the heat)
Moss
Skyrim
Deracine
No Man's Sky (almost a new game, especially if you haven't kept up since launch)
Tetris Effect
Rez
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Playroom VR

Quite good tier:
Everybody's Golf
Thumper
Tumble

Decent tier:
Superhypercube
Eden Tomorrow
Ghost Giant
Curious Tale of the Stolen Pets

Meh tier:
The Wizards

Unplayable (for me, milage can vary):
Battlezone
Windlands
Drive Club VR
Bound

That's plenty of really good games and I've not even tried several of the major games.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
You made a good choice, OP.

I would say it's worth it just for these games ... and they don't even use the Move controllers:

RE7
Wip3out Omega Collection
Astrobot
Gran Turismo Sport
Ace Combat 7

Oct 27, 2017

Using the moves as proof that Sony doesn't care about their VR platforms and ignoring the fact that they are the only console that supports VR, created a headset, installed a lightbar in their controller for the explicit purpose of VR compatibility, have supported and developed some of the highest rated VR games of all time. Sure Jan. The moves aren't perfect, mainly from their lack of a thumb stick if we are being completely real here. Yet they work fine. Tracking issues are often camera related. They have never hindered my ability to enjoy the games that use them. It's wasn't the best decision, but it was an okay one for their first foray into VR. Hardly a sign of not caring about their platform.

As for software support being weak, that's a matter of opinion. If you are a front page gamer. Someone who only enjoys the games that everyone talks about, yeah, there ain't much of that on the platform. But there are plenty of games that people on era or other gaming forums don't pay attention to that are very much worth your time. The problem is the majority still don't play VR and therefore good games don't get the love they deserve so you have to put the legwork in to find them.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Oh yeah that's part of why I'd recommend it; it's a solid headset that's comfortable to wear with minmal screendoor (I really don't notice it much in PSVR at all) and good lenses. The resolution is a challenge at times for games like No Man's Sky and Skyrim VR as it results in much blurrier distant images than other headsets but the overall package is good plus with Astro Bot and Wipeout (to name two favourites) you're getting games that are well balanced to the headset.

Given the much lower cost of a PS4 vs a higher end PC I'd argue PSVR is the best entry option choice if you don't have a high end PC closely followed by Quest.

If money's no object then I'd promote Index with beefy PC as the way to go to.
Yeah its weak point is tracking but the headset itself is still decent. I think for those games though it's more a lack of power in the PS4 rather than resolution. Don't get me wrong I can clearly see the resolution is low compared to 4K but a well polished game from the ground up isn't as blurry as those games.