• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
See I kinda wish they would fucking port the zelda Wii U remasters to switch.

They have nothing else and these are already there, just rotting on a dead platform. :(

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Ofc they are..

However, Covid or not.. I'd say they could have handled the year a bit differently in terms of marketing but as they're still doing amazing I dont think they really care.

But it's definately been weird for many fans yes.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
oh there is?

Missed that thread then!

There is no thread. The general Direct speculation thread is a messy spamfest without any threadmarks for the few posts containing actual rumors. So how would anyone getting their information only from era know about it if you don't follow that thread every minute?

Still, your thread is a little baseless. Of course there will be games in 2020 after Paper Mario.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo decided to give time and focus to the announcement of Bakugan when the only game they had with a date is Paper Mario. That is the marketing decision they made. I think it's fair to say that even given the circumstances they are making some weird calls.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
They don't need to when they have Bakugan.

No, but seriously, they probably have something that they'll announce soon. Weren't there rumors about a Direct later this month?

Oct 28, 2019
There is no thread. The general Direct speculation thread is a messy spamfest without any threadmarks for the few posts containing actual rumors. So how would anyone getting their information only from era know about it if you don't follow that thread every minute?

Still, your thread is a little baseless. Of course there will be games in 2020 after Paper Mario.

I have to agree, especially when it's the same people posting in those threads posting the snarky replies because you haven't kept up here

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
I'm betting they're getting a big hit ready to bug Sony and MS new consoles release. Putting a coin on BOTW 2 ready for november, or at least a new main line Mario.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I think there will be, obviously. But Nintendo has been terrible this year so far. And no Animal Crossing and a remaster of a 10 year old game don't make a good year. Man I'm having flashbacks of 2008

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017

I have to agree, especially when it's the same people posting in those threads posting the snarky replies because you haven't kept up here
Eh, the insiders get a little less harassment and attention than when everyone knew, which seems to be how they like it. If it matters that much, check in now and then.

www.resetera.com

Jeff Grubb: “Nintendo is not planning a new Direct at all for now”

https://venturebeat.com/2020/05/18/quartermann-e3-2020/

this thread is where i got that info back when it was posted. unless this was confirmed to be a hoax.
You're making much more precise statements than Grubb did, with presumably less info than he had to go on.

Regardless, I wouldn't call the same crew that's gotten Nintendo info right time after time "baseless". This isn't Sabi or HotGirls69 (or whatever that user's handle was lmao).

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
people keep believing baseless rumors like that one direct despite Nintendo themselves saying no more directs would happen this year.

they'll announce games very close to release so we got at minimum a chance to see something about september's game this month.
They didn't say that.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even the rumored lineup is really lame (Pikmin Port, Mario Port Collection, Another Mario Port).

If this would be their lineup for the rest of the year their only new retail titles in 2020 that aren't remakes or remasters would be Animal Crossing, Paper Mario and Clubhouse Games. Don't remember when a Nintendo linup looking this dire in a year.

Thankfully Switch has more than solid indie support.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
For now=rest of the year?
Eh, the insiders get a little less harassment and attention than when everyone knew, which seems to be how they like it. If it matters that much, check in now and then.

You're making much more precise statements than Grubb did, with presumably less info than he had to go on.

Regardless, I wouldn't call the same crew that's gotten Nintendo info right time after time "baseless". This isn't Sabi or HotGirls69 (or whatever that user's handle was lmao).

okay, the "rest of the year" part was bad memory from me but that statement was less than 2 months ago so i would think it's still not time for one.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Considering the circumstances a delay of 1 to 2 months for the "E3" direct isn't that big of a deal. As pointed out by others Paper Mario was announced just two months ago and it will be launched this month. New Pokemon SNAP was also announced recently, and games like Deadly Premonition 2, Bravely Default 2 and No More Heroes 3 are known games that had a 2020 release window goal in which Nintendo has some involvement in.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017

So they're putting info out there with the intention for it to not actually be seen by people easily, even not by those who click the thread for new information? Hence no threadmarks or update to OP?
Lmao, that's the weirdest justification I have heard in a long while for anything.

I DO check the thread 'now and then', scroll through a bunch of pages of spam and even then I more often than not don't even find what new info there is, if any. I got the recent rumor about the 20th from a different gaming forum in the end...

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Nah they may never release games again honestly. I think Animal Crossing was their "I'm out" moment. No other titles needed. We had a good run.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo usually gives up on a home console about a year before they launch the new one, so this should be good news for everyone waiting for Switch 2.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
So they're putting info out there with the intention for it to not actually be seen by people easily, even not by those who clici the thread for new information? Hence no threadmarks or update to OP?
Lmao, that's the weirdest justification I have heard in a long while for anything.
I'm not saying it's a conscious decision. But I think there's a correlation, yes.

okay, the "rest of the year" part was bad memory from me but that statement was less than 2 months ago so i would think it's still not time for one.
You do understand you're trusting one insider over another (well, 4 others), right? Despite your previous wording, you didn't hear from "Nintendo themselves" that they weren't holding Directs anytime soon; you heard it from Jeff.

With a little critical thinking, Jeff heard it from his source - heavily implied to be a third party - which means they likely heard it from whomever their contact with Nintendo is, who got it from Nintendo's third party relations. That's just the bare minimum number of links, unless Jeff's source is the person who heard from Nintendo (not particularly likely). Already, that's quite the game of telephone; there's plenty of room for something to get exaggerated or misinterpreted there. If you want a demonstration of how easy it is for simple yet critical things to get lost, just look at your own interpretation of Grubb's article - the only information he cites as being from Nintendo themselves is that they're telling partners not to wait for big announcements. We don't know whether his statement that Nintendo isn't planning a direct is speculation on his part given that info, speculation on his source's part, or perhaps mispresenting something like "we're unsure of when the next direct will be" to "we're not planning one", possibly over multiple stages of communication (a combination of the last two feels entirely possible to me).

To be clear, I don't think either was lying; it's perfectly plausible all involved insiders are truthfully relaying information from valid sources. When multiple proven insiders seem to conflict each other, I find it's best to go with the most recent information.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo usually gives up on a home console about a year before they launch the new one, so this should be good news for everyone waiting for Switch 2.
But we have:
-BotW2
-Bayonetta 3
-Metroid Prime 4
-Pokemon Snap

All officially confirmed for the Switch, and:
-Mario 3D collection
-SM3DW DX
-Pikmin 3 DX
-2D Metroid

All heavily rumored, along with Nate hinting at surprising unannounced titles over the next two years. Not to mention Furukawa's recent statements on extending the Switch's lifecycle.

I'd bet a large sum of money that the Switch 2 isn't happening next year, and I'm not a betting man.

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
I think there will be, obviously. But Nintendo has been terrible this year so far. And no Animal Crossing and a remaster of a 10 year old game don't make a good year. Man I'm having flashbacks of 2008

To be fair, this has also been a year when Nintendo has been able to fly hardware out of the shelves while doing the absolute minimum. X1 and PS4 have been on life support for a long time so now which means that Nintendo could just promote the console and it would still sell like crazy. Of course the popularity of Animal Crossing also gave a hefty boost to the sales, but I still believe that Nintendo knew that they would not need that much killer apps during this really quiet time when it comes to competition. Now that the console itself will be considered as "old" when new consoles arrive, they will take the battle with A-class software.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
So they're putting info out there with the intention for it to not actually be seen by people easily, even not by those who click the thread for new information? Hence no threadmarks or update to OP?

I DO check the thread 'now and then', scroll through a bunch of pages of spam and even then I more often than not don't even find what new info there is, if any. I got the recent rumor about the 20th from a different gaming forum in the end...
only the faithful shall be rewarded.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But we have:
-BotW2
-Bayonetta 3
-Metroid Prime 4
-Pokemon Snap

All officially confirmed for the Switch, and:
-Mario 3D collection
-SM3DW DX
-Pikmin 3 DX
-2D Metroid

All heavily rumored, along with Nate hinting at surprising unannounced titles over the next two years. Not to mention Furukawa's recent statements on extending the Switch's lifecycle.

I'd bet a large sum of money that the Switch 2 isn't happening next year, and I'm not a betting man.
I was just being snarky.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
We know Metroid Prime 4 and BOTW2 are coming, those are big games, and we'll see them again when they are ready to be released.

We know of the Super Mario collection.

Paper Mario is around the corner. Animal Crossing just released. Luigi's Mansion released recently.

Pokemon team is busy with DLC and the next game.
Smash team is busy with DLC, and it's a 3rd party developer.

So we pretty much know what every developer at Nintendo is doing.

Mario team doing Mario collection and probably Odyssey 2 for Switch.
Zelda team and part of Monolith are working on BOTW2.
Other part of Monolith just released Xenoblade 1, and will probably help with BOTW2 until it launches, so a new Monolith game is out of the question for this year.
Intelligent systems just finished the Origami King and probably working on a new Fire Emblem.
Retro doing MP4, and probably pitching ideas for next DKC game on Switch's successor.
ND Cube just released Clubhouse games, probably working on next Mario Party.
GameFreak busy with Pokemon DLC and next Pokemon.
Hal or whoever does Kirby nowadays probably busy with next Kirby.

So what's missing?
Mario Kart team, MK9 will probably release near launch with Switch's successor, so this team could hold a surprise.
RFAs team, wouldn't be surprised if there was a sequel to this game, or something sports related.
Splatoon team should be working on Splatoon 3 for Switch's successor, do they may have a new franchise on the works.

I'm not expecting anything huge from Nintendo this year, unless they somehow finish Zelda, Mario or Metroid, we could see something from Camelot or another small developer too.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We know Metroid Prime 4 and BOTW2 are coming, those are big games, and we'll see them again when they are ready to be released.

We know of the Super Mario collection.

Paper Mario is around the corner. Animal Crossing just released. Luigi's Mansion released recently.

Pokemon team is busy with DLC and the next game.
Smash team is busy with DLC, and it's a 3rd party developer.

So we pretty much know what every developer at Nintendo is doing.

Mario team doing Mario collection and probably Odyssey 2 for Switch.
Zelda team and part of Monolith are working on BOTW2.
Other part of Monolith just released Xenoblade 1, and will probably help with BOTW2 until it launches, so a new Monolith game is out of the question for this year.
Intelligent systems just finished the Origami King and probably working on a new Fire Emblem.
Retro doing MP4, and probably pitching ideas for next DKC game on Switch's successor.
ND Cube just released Clubhouse games, probably working on next Mario Party.
GameFreak busy with Pokemon DLC and next Pokemon.
Hal or whoever does Kirby nowadays probably busy with next Kirby.

So what's missing?
Mario Kart team, MK9 will probably release near launch with Switch's successor, so this team could hold a surprise.
RFAs team, wouldn't be surprised if there was a sequel to this game, or something sports related.
Splatoon team should be working on Splatoon 3 for Switch's successor, do they may have a new franchise on the works.

I'm not expecting anything huge from Nintendo this year, unless they somehow finish Zelda, Mario or Metroid, we could see something from Camelot or another small developer too.
I think we could get a new Splatoon game on Switch. It probably would be a spin-off tho

Plum

May 31, 2018
Whilst Nintendo's definitely going to be releasing more games this year, it shouldn't really be up to the general consumer to just go "OK, everything's fine," considering how significant Nintendo's lack of response has been to the current situation.

The first major 'blow' is that Nintendo did not go into this year with the same amount of software confirmed compared to prior years. In terms of Nintendo-published games that could be reasonably said as being "2020 games," all we really had was Animal Crossing, Xenoblade and Bravely Default 2. Compare that to 2019 where Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Marvel, DQXIS and Yoshi were all dated for 2019 before the year had even started and it's clear that there's a major discrepancy there that can't simply be written off as being "due to COVID-19."

Then the second thing here is that Nintendo's main competitors in the gaming market have been able to scrape up some fairly significant stuff during COVID-19. Yes, Microsoft and Sony are selling a new console so they kind of have to, but that shouldn't really excuse everything considering that they've very much in the same situation as Nintendo has been. Yesterday showed us that they're still very much struggling with even fairly basic things (and that isn't down to the Treehouse people themselves most likely, but the lack of direction and focus from Nintendo's main offices).

In the end I think that going immediately to full-on complete hostility mode whenever some steps out of line regarding Nintendo's marketing/lineup this year is misguided.

Let people be a bit disappointed instead of having to constantly make sure we treat Nintendo with assurances of "It's OK, you're trying your best." It's not like they've actually been hurt by the virus in any meaningful way. In fact they're one of the few companies who are very much thriving during all of this (on top of having a pre-existing mountain of money to fall back on), and that's an incredibly privileged position to be in considering how fucked vast chunks of businesses will actually be when all is said and done.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been disappointed in the switch this year. I've barely used it at all.

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
This has been their MO for a while now. We get a certain number of months into a quarter/away from the last Direct and it seems like we have to ask if Nintendo is even making games anymore. Then all of a sudden they announce 5-6 projects being released in a 6-month time span.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
For how child-friendly the Nintendo image the fans are rude as fuck. OP is wondering why there are 0 games announced for the later half of the year and people just pile on him.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
I think we could get a new Splatoon game on Switch. It probably would be a spin-off tho
I mean, that team is full with young developers with new ideas.

I would expect a new franchise, it's one of the few teams that can do it.

Most of the other teams have a very high cost for them to work on new franchises. Games are just too expensive to make this days, and if you have a team with 2 or three hit franchises, it's better to leave those teams working on those instead of wasting valuable resources trying to catch lighting in a bottle again.

It would be stupid to release Splatoon 3 on the Switch, it would kill 2 and split the fan base. So it's like a Map Kart situation, one per console.

That's why I could see something new from that team.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I find it at least partially justifiable in that COVID has clearly made a number on their workflow. It's normal to see a gap in their releases while they adjust, and conversely also a gap in their announcements which is what's happening now.

This thread is weirdly hostile.

Welcome to every thread ever about a console manufacturer. It's fanboys and haters all the way down. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.