• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
I've been playing paper Mario for 6 hours now and I can say it's so good that Nintendo won't need another game for the rest of the year

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
IIRC Nintendo hasn't delayed a game with a release date since Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze on Wii U. They already play things incredibly close to their chest as is. Their average time between announcement and release this gen is like nine months, Paper Mario The Oragami King is just two months between announcement and release. It's completely obvious they want to be absolutely sure on their schedule before they announce anything right now.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo hasn't had a direct in months (due to covid) and what they have announced since then has been held until fairly close to release. I think it's a safe assumption that they have more releases planned for 2020, but are holding off on early announcements due to the high chances of delays and more difficulty in organizing multi-game announcement showcases.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Personally, I'd be quite shocked if Super Mario 3D World was NOT released on Switch this year. They've mostly run out of other Wii U games to port, so it's time.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
No matter how much people hate it, Paper Mario: The Origiami King is releasing in the second half of the year, so there you go.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo hasn't had a direct in months (due to covid) and what they have announced since then has been held until fairly close to release. I think it's a safe assumption that they have more releases planned for 2020, but are holding off on early announcements due to the high chances of delays and more difficulty in organizing multi-game announcement showcases.
this seems the most likely to me. nintendo has openly stated they are having difficulty adapting to the conditions covid-19 requires for further game development and everything for at-home set ups has to be learned. not at all out of the question that they are trying to be much more sure about when things will actually release.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Paper Mario was announced two months in advance right after Animal Crossing released. Seems pretty clear they're playing their cards very close to the chest in case of delays due to covid.

I understand the frustration, especially as someone eagerly waiting to see the next Smash character. But Crosscode and Bloodstained just came out. Paper Mario is next week. Animal Crossing is getting pretty meaty updates and we just got the weirdest character ever added to Smash. We're gonna make it, I promise

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was a good run, finally Nintendo realize that all they have to do is keep realizing Smash characters, and just make new games to promote smash characters.

Pollen

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
It was a good run, finally Nintendo realize that all they have to do is keep realizing Smash characters, and just make new games to promote smash characters.
I know this is a joke but Smash would lend itself quite well to the games-as-a-service model. The only critical trait that holds it back is its dreadful online. Once Nintendo fixes this, I think they should entertain it as a business model.

chusetto

Oct 31, 2017
Krista
There's been an state of emergency in Japan and there's still a lethal virus in the world but you want your games now... Is there no patience anymore? There're a ton of games to play already

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Nop, Nintendo is the new Valve on consoles. Probably they're working on Virtual Boy 2 and Wario Land: Ashley right now.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I love how people immedietly assume there will be stuff when 2018 was largely barren for the switch

Oct 25, 2017
I assume that Nintendo will still going to have the usual "Big November" game, and honestly there's so much amazing games to play atm that I don't mind if they aren't releasing much this year.

Also there's a fucking global pandemic going on right now.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
So over the last 3 years has had a solid consistent release of 1st part games. However this year after Paper Mario the 1st party line of games is ... basically nothing?

It's kinda surprising that bathing is being announced. While I do recall Nintendo saying they found it very hard working from home, there were a few rumoured projects like that Mario anniversary collection a few months back.

I mean of all the times to release 1st party games, this would be the most important time, especially with the release of two next gen consoles.

Can Nintendo really just rely on 3rd parties this year to help them overcome this crucial year?

Nintendo is over, they will not release games anymore. Deal with it.

chapilinux

Mar 29, 2018
I wonder why everybody is relating the lack of games to Covid, when Nintendo President himself told twice that all the planned games for 2020 are not affected at least up to this moment.

2020, or at least the first half of it, was intended to be a low tier from the first moment, this was well known even from Q4 2019. And that was the main reason of the Animla Crossing delay. I suggest to stop goving covid excuses to everything.

Hopefully the end of 2020 will be full-powered again.

Last edited:

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I don't like Pokemon or animal crossing, I feel like there has been no nintendo games for ages

Yet I still play my switch nearly every day

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Your point is correct but Fire Emblem Three Houses was delayed from spring 2019 to summer.
There's been a number of games delayed after a period of release is mentioned. Animal Crossing and Breath of the Wild were delayed as well from their initial launch windows. However once a game is given a specific date, like "July 24th", they hit that date with no delays. It's pretty impressive how consistent they've been in that regard.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has a much shorter announce to release cycle generally. Whilst I think their events recently have been poor to put it mildly, I doubt they have nothing to go against two new consoles launching late this year.

Still, Era wouldn't be Era without either a "Nintendo is doomed" thread or a "Phil Spencer:" thread on the front page.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
We really need all these "Nintendo is doomed" replies to a question? It's true that Nintendo don't have much announced, for obvious reason.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
people keep believing baseless rumors like that one direct despite Nintendo themselves saying no more directs would happen this year.

they'll announce games very close to release so we got at minimum a chance to see something about september's game this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.