• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think this is anything?

• He's teasing something! I KNOW IT!

Votes: 181 23.1%
  • It's nothing.

Votes: 88 11.2%
  • It's something, but nothing exciting

Votes: 162 20.7%
  • You're all crazy

Votes: 94 12.0%
  • SIILLEEEENT HIIIIIILLLL

Votes: 259 33.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

Silent Hills might come back in the future but nothing has been done yet, parts are still talking.

Silent Hill (without a s) will come back for sure (if it's not cancelled) with Toyama, Masahiro Ito and Yamaoka back. Soft reboot of the series that's been in dev for 1 year so far.

My heart.

Can you give share details on how this came about? Did Sony strike some some sort of Street Fighter V-esque deal with Konami, or have they secured the IP outright?

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
My heart.

Can you give share details on how this came about? Did Sony strike some some sort of Street Fighter V-esque deal with Konami, or have they secured the IP outright?
Konami aren't very well since they came full mobile. Pachinko's market isn't very good too. I assume they saw how well RE2 remake sold and decided to revive SH, that's what Masahiro Ito was talking about on Twitter.
I don't know if Silent Hill will be an exclusive, but I assume it will, like Silent Hills was supposed to be back in 2015 (at least timed exclusive).

Well, talking about Silent Hills revive with KJP, Sony don't want to fund the full game like they did with Death Stranding. Too expensive. It'll probably won't happen but KJP will still make an exclusive horror game for PS5. It's supposed to be a VR game for the PSVR 2, btw. And KJP is fully independant, PlayStation didn't acquire them.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Konami aren't very well since they came full mobile. Pachinko's market isn't very good too. I assume they saw how well RE2 remake sold and decided to revive SH, that's what Masahiro Ito was talking about on Twitter.
I don't know if Silent Hill will be an exclusive, but I assume it will, like Silent Hills was supposed to be back in 2015 (at least timed exclusive).

Well, talking about Silent Hills revive with KJP, Sony don't want to fund the full game like they did with Death Stranding. Too expensive. It'll probably won't happen but KJP will still make an exclusive horror game for PS5. It's supposed to be a VR game for the PSVR 2, btw. And KJP is fully independant, PlayStation didn't acquire them.

Have you heard anything about Suikoden? Yeah I know but it's worth a shot

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018

Wait. Its by KJP? Didnt you say its by Sony Japan, or did I misread something? Is it a partnership between SJ and KJP?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Hopefully it's just a timed exclusive so I can play it on Xbox. But if it's full exclusive, then I'll still be happy it exists due to Sony.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
Have you heard anything about Suikoden? Yeah I know but it's worth a shot
Unfortunalety, nope.
Wait. Its by KJP? Didnt you say its by Sony Japan, or did I misread something? Is it a partnership between SJ and KJP?
There's a Silent Hill reboot by Konami with Toyama and Ito. It's been in dev for 1 year so far.

And there's a Silent Hills revive that's still in talks between Konami, Sony and Kojima Productions. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. If there ain't any deal done, Kojima Productions will still make a VR horror game for PS5. It's just a bonus for it to be Silent Hills and for Sony to pay less funds in the development .

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
Screen_Shot_2019-09-09_at_10.12.43_AM.jpg

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Unfortunalety, nope.

There's a Silent Hill reboot by Konami with Toyama and Ito. It's been in dev for 1 year so far.

And there's a Silent Hills revive that's still in talks between Konami, Sony and Kojima Productions. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. If there ain't any deal done, Kojima Productions will still make a VR horror game for PS5. It's just a bonus for it to be Silent Hills and for Sony to pay less funds in the development .
Thats actually the best case scenario. Thank you for calrifying. A horror game from Sony Japan and another from KJP on Vr potentially? Thats great news. I assume the Sony Japan game will be exclusive while the KJP game will see a chance to hit other VR hardware.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019

So who is the actual developer for SH? SIE Japan? Kojima Productions? Some Konami team? Toyama is with SIE Japan soooot.....wtf

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Unfortunalety, nope.

When you say Konami and Toyama do you mean Konami and Sony Japan or Toyama going to Konami? Thank you for answering my questions!

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
When you say Konami and Toyama do you mean Konami and Sony Japan or Toyama going to Konami? Thank you for answering my questions!
So who is the actual developer for SH? SIE Japan? Kojima Productions? Some Konami team? Toyama is with SIE Japan soooot.....wtf
That's a good question. I only know that Toyama is in the team and that he's been working on it for 1 year, that's all. But since there are talks between Sony, KJP and Konami for Silent Hills, it's totally possible that the SH reboot could be in co-dev with Japan Studio. Didn't Dusk Golem said that the two new SH were external development ?

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
That's a good question. I only know that Toyama is in the team and that he's been working on it for 1 year, that's all. But since there are talks between Sony, KJP and Konami for Silent Hills, it's totally possible that the SH reboot could be in co-dev with Japan Studio. Didn't Dusk Golem said that the two new SH were external development ?
I dont remember Dusk saying that but thats definitely interesting. External development relative to Konami? If thats the case Sony could definitely be involved.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the info!

If Toyama/Sony Japan Studio are involved I'd assumed Sony is at least co-devoloping it. Interesting times ahead in any event. Silent Hill Reboot. KJP VR game, maybe Silent Hills. Yes please to all of those.

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope we get a Death Stranding 2. The game is flawed, but a sequel has the potential to remedy that. I just fucking love the infrastructure shit so much. I want a better game built around that.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
As much as i like silent hill i really don't want kojima's next game to be silent hills, he finally got away from konami and got full creative freedom, i want him to make more new completely unique games like death stranding, i really like kojima unleashed.

I really hope we get a Death Stranding 2. The game is flawed, but a sequel has the potential to remedy that. I just fucking love the infrastructure shit so much. I want a better game built around that.

Death stranding was my #2 game of the year for 2019, i love it but i don't want it to get a sequel, i like it as the weird unique game/story it was, not every game needs a sequel.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Kojipro doesn't (isn't) working on SH, or DS2. I just want to see new titles.

I hope it's an original horror game. (in fact when PT was revealed to be SHs. I was rather disappointed)
-----------
Hi. KatharsisT I'm Shy. Sorry this is my first interaction with you.

if you don't mind me asking. have you heard anything about a new proper remaster for the older SH games.
It's a commercial flop, unfortunately. Even if most of the critics acclaimed it, it didn't sell that well ...
That's a real shame to hear.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Death stranding was my #2 game of the year for 2019, i love it but i don't want it to get a sequel, i like it as the weird unique game/story it was, not every game needs a sequel.
I very much did not care for the story that game tried to tell, so for me, it's just the gameplay systems and mechanics that I want back. A sequel could strip away any and all narrative to just make an infrastructure sim and I would be on board.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
Do you have any info regarding the possible Death Stranding DLC being talked about.
No Death Stranding DLC in the works. Kojima said in an interview not so long ago that the game won't have any DLC.
As much as i like silent hill i really don't want kojima's next game to be silent hills, he finally got away from konami and got full creative freedom, i want him to make more new completely unique games like death stranding, i really like kojima unleashed.

Unfortunately he didn't get the full creative kingdom like you think. The game was supposed to be way darker initially but Sony didn't like that. A lot of things were changed in mid-dev. And the game was supposed to come out later, on PS5, so a lot of content has been cut like you can see in the artbook.
I hope Kojipro doesn't (isn't) working on SH, or DS2. I just want to see new titles.

I hope it's an original horror game. (in fact when PT was revealed to be SHs. I was rather disappointed)
-----------
Hi. KatharsisT I'm Shy. Sorry this is my first interaction with you.

if you don't mind me asking. have you heard anything about a new proper remaster for the older SH games.

That's a real shame to hear.
No remaster but a reboot of the first game by Toyama, Ito and Yamaoka.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No remaster but a reboot of the first game by Toyama, Ito and Yamaoka.
Yeah. I saw you mention that earlier.

Was hoping that a remastering was in the cards also.

But thanks for answering.
Unfortunately he didn't get the full creative kingdom like you think. The game was supposed to be way darker initially but Sony didn't like that. A lot of things were changed in mid-dev. And the game was supposed to come out later, on PS5, so a lot of content has been cut like you can see in the artbook.
Ohh, you have to (if you're able to) go waaaaaaaaaaay into to detail more about that. LOL.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I can't really go into details for now, but budget was cut, the game was more horrific initially and Kojima and Sony didn't agree on a lot of things by mid-dev. Sony got the last word unfortunately.

This is bizarre given that Sony proudly publishes titles with some of the darkest and most vile subject matter in mainstream games, like Bloodborne and Days Gone which both prominently feature child corpses or straight up child zombies that you gun down by the hundreds.

KatharsisT

Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Not cool
This is bizarre given that Sony proudly publishes titles with some of the darkest and most vile subject matter in mainstream games, like Bloodborne and Days Gone which both prominently feature child corpses or straight up child zombies that you gun down by the hundreds.

Absolutely, I don't really understand their decision. But there have been a lot of internal changes at PlayStation the past 2 years, could totally be the case.

Oct 27, 2017
Good point. I assume the problem was about the money and time required to do these horror elements/mechanics than the content itself. Like you said Sony produces some disturbing shit and is notorious about giving create freedom to their devs studios. I doubt DS would be darker than Bloodborne and KJP are independent.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
The "they removed horror element form Death Stranding because Sony said that" thing sounds bullshit.
It was worse than TLOU 2 trailers? wat
I don't know the full details of this, so let me be upfront with that. But my understanding is it was not "horror" stuff as much as "horrific" stuff, and there was some major disagreements on it and some other things.

Now, this is my own personal thoughts, I'm assuming that maybe it wasn't the content itself but maybe the context of it. Again, this is speculation on my part as it sounds weird to me too, but since there were disagreements and Sony was weirdly adamant on it, I'm assuming it must've been things Sony thought were tasteless or maybe horrific for just horrific's sake rather than being opposed to the content down by itself. I don't know that, but it's my speculation from the pieces I've heard.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't know the full details of this, so let me be upfront with that. But my understanding is it was not "horror" stuff as much as "horrific" stuff, and there was some major disagreements on it and some other things.

Now, this is my own personal thoughts, I'm assuming that maybe it wasn't the content itself but maybe the context of it. Again, this is speculation on my part as it sounds weird to me too, but since there were disagreements and Sony was weirdly adamant on it, I'm assuming it must've been things Sony thought were tasteless or maybe horrific for just horrific's sake rather than being opposed to the content down by itself. I don't know that, but it's my speculation from the pieces I've heard.

I can see it being some really weird shit, like Junji Ito works (he was working with Kojima before right?).

aisback

Oct 27, 2017

My guess is Sony wanted a lower age rating for the game and didn't want to make it harder to sell the game

Arion

Oct 26, 2017

Disappointing to hear sony interfered with Death Stranding. I thought they were more hands-off compared to other publishers but I guess not.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't really go into details for now, but budget was cut, the game was more horrific initially and Kojima and Sony didn't agree on a lot of things by mid-dev. Sony got the last word unfortunately.
That's understandable. But thanks for saying what you could.

I hope one day the full story will come out.

You're killing me. LOL.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden

Is there any source on that?
I have a hard time believing sony had any real significant creative influence on the game, death stranding was a huge get for sony why would they make those kinds of demands on the game when the last of us 2 seems way darker than death stranding, stuff from the artbook not being in the game means nothing, shit gets cut from games all the time.

And there is nothing to indicate sony being involved in kojima productions next game as far as i am aware, and even if sony would limit kojima's creativity it is still more creative freedom than making silent hill 9 under konami's strict thumb.

Last edited: