• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think this is anything?

• He's teasing something! I KNOW IT!

Votes: 181 23.1%
  • It's nothing.

Votes: 88 11.2%
  • It's something, but nothing exciting

Votes: 162 20.7%
  • You're all crazy

Votes: 94 12.0%
  • SIILLEEEENT HIIIIIILLLL

Votes: 259 33.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Konami does not pretend it does not exist any more than the other games in the series. You do not get to decide decide what is canon. The producer, who was a Konami employee has. If you won't let it taint your image of the franchise then that's on you. Konami has never denounced the game or called it non-canon so the latest official word is seemingly different than your stance. I honestly don't care or think it makes a meaningful difference so I'm not continuing this discussion after this post because it's going nowhere. Will play video games instead.
I moved past it because i just dont consider spinoffs canon typically but also this started with you saying fanservice ruined the series for you. Just because something is canon in another game doesnt mean it retroactively ruins previous games.

Goron2000

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think if by some miracle it does turn out to be Silent Hill I very much doubt that Konami will be bankrolling it. I imagine Sony will have made a deal with Konami to use the license.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
I believe it will just be details about the PC version of Death Stranding, probably some extra PC perks? Who knows.

By the way I need to update my title, treat the above as personal speculation and not something official. I don't work for 505 Games anymore. I'm in the mobile games industry now working for Socialpoint.

Apr 27, 2018
Well imagine Kojima using DS5 feedback to do this in Silent Hill:

kotaku.com

A Heart-Monitoring Horror Game That Gets Tougher As You Get Scared

Horror games can be scary enough on their own—do we really need one that measures our heart rate and gets harder as we get more scared? Maybe we do. Maybe. We. Do.

He is sadistic, he will use it. :p
That would be game changing. With this also:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I moved past it because i just dont consider spinoffs canon typically but also this started with you saying fanservice ruined the series for you. Just because something is canon in another game doesnt mean it retroactively ruins previous games.
Never said that. I said I don't care about the brand at this point. I would be equally excited about a new IP by Kojima as Silent Hill by Kojima, more even. There is no need for Silent Hill to continue beyond Konami cashing in on band recognition. I never said that anything ruined previous games. That would be stupid.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well imagine Kojima using DS5 feedback to do this in Silent Hill:

kotaku.com

A Heart-Monitoring Horror Game That Gets Tougher As You Get Scared

Horror games can be scary enough on their own—do we really need one that measures our heart rate and gets harder as we get more scared? Maybe we do. Maybe. We. Do.

He is sadistic, he will use it. :p
Kojima out here trying to give people heart attacks.

What's interesting about all this is that there have been some rumors about Sony working on one (or was it two?) horror projects. Keiichiro Toyama is moving on from Gravity Rush and wants to return to horror, and Kojima, well, he straight up said his next game will be horror, if I remember correctly. Anybody that has played Death Stranding will see that the game has a lot of horror moments, even down to the breathing mechanic. I could tell he's itching to do a full horror game, and his games have always had scary stuff in them.

Wasn't there also another thing about Konami rebooting Silent Hill? What if Sony's doing some kind of collab that will be teased with the PS5 reveal?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Never said that. I said I don't care about the brand at this point. I would be equally excited about a new IP by Kojima as Silent Hill by Kojima, more even. There is no need for Silent Hill to continue beyond Konami cashing in on band recognition. I never said that anything ruined previous games. That would be stupid.

Honestly, after his last few games, it'd probably be better if Kojima makes a new horror IP rather than Silent Hill. He's not the man to bring SH back to life.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, after his last few games, it'd probably be better if Kojima makes a new horror IP rather than Silent Hill. He's not the man to bring SH back to life.
P.T. is the scariest thing I've ever played and it was directed by Kojima, so yeah, you're wrong. P.T. alone makes me think he'd make the scariest Silent Hill game yet.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
P.T. is the scariest thing I've ever played and it was directed by Kojima, so yeah, you're wrong. P.T. alone makes me think he'd make the scariest Silent Hill game yet.

Like I said. I would be fine with him making an entirely new horror IP. I'm sure he'd be fine at that.

I just don't think he would be good at using Silent Hill as a setting. He's not the guy to revive the IP because he would mess it up just like Vatra and Double Helix and all the rest. Silent Hill as a series isn't just about "BOO! SCARYYYYYY" moments.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said. I would be fine with him making an entirely new horror IP. I'm sure he'd be fine at that.

I just don't think he would be good at using Silent Hill as a setting. He's not the guy to revive the IP because he would mess it up just like Vatra and Double Helix and all the rest. Silent Hill as a series isn't just about "BOO! SCARYYYYYY" moments.
Or monster energy drinks and your favorite movie actors.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The one time Kojima directed a horror project it went down as a masterpiece. That's all I care about and all that we have to go by. I trust he'll deliver on everything else too. I'll always have faith in his game design.

Or monster energy drinks and your favorite movie actors.
You must be fun at parties.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The one time Kojima directed a horror project it went down as a masterpiece. That's all I care about and all that we have to go by. I trust he'll deliver on everything else too. I'll always have faith in his game design.

It was an hour-long tech demo that was so obtuse that it was basically impossible to complete. That's not really what I think of when I think of Silent Hill.

Again, that's what I'm saying. I don't give a damn about if he could make a good horror game. I'm sure he could.

Nothing about that says he could make a good SILENT HILL game, though. I care more about Silent Hill as a setting and a concept than I do about Kojima's ability to deliver a nebulous "horror game".

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Aren't Kojima and Konami mortal enemies now?
They have a weird relationship. The vast majority of KJP staff are ex-Konami, even the head of marketing just hired in the past week. He still gets on with a lot of people there. Lately he's said that no matter what happened between them he still thanks and owes Konami for his career.
More of an issue with the highest ranks who did spiteful shit like trying to stop ex-employees from getting health insurance.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was an hour-long tech demo that was so obtuse that it was basically impossible to complete. That's not really what I think of when I think of Silent Hill.

Again, that's what I'm saying. I don't give a damn about if he could make a good horror game. I'm sure he could.

Nothing about that says he could make a good SILENT HILL game, though. I care more about Silent Hill as a setting and a concept than I do about Kojima's ability to deliver a nebulous "horror game".
Oh. I'd still trust him with it.

I mean when thats the main draw of the party then yeah, I guess so.
How can you not see the humor in drinking Monster Energy to recover stamina and eating water bears (known for their ability to survive anywhere) to produce blood? Death Stranding isn't even about those things. Those things are just there as comic relief, just like we can use Metal Gear prosthetics to help with the weight of excessive cargo. There's literally bushes that grow shoes we can wear in the game, cleverly named Sandalweed. It is hilarious but you take it seriously? Laugh a little.

I highly doubt that happened. I don't see Sony desiring to acquire it nor Konami wanting to sell it. However I definitely could see Sony funding this and co-publishing it along with Konami in collaboration with KojiPro.
Yeah I didn't really mean that they fully acquired the IP, but rather, an agreement to fund a Silent Hill game.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not an IP in good shape.
Cool, so kick it back into good shape.

Why spend a ton of money on reviving a game they don't own and that wouldn't be exclusive to their platforms?
If Sony funds it and Konami agrees to full exclusivity, then yah, it is.

They already have their own horror IP.
True, there's Siren, but there are no rumors about a new one while there are rumors about a new Silent Hill.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not an IP in good shape. Why spend a ton of money on reviving a game they don't own and that wouldn't be exclusive to their platforms? They already have their own horror IP.
A big budget KojiPro developed Silent Hill would do incredibly well and if funded by Sony it would at least be console exclusive like Street Fighter V.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
A big budget KojiPro developed Silent Hill would do incredibly well and if funded by Sony it would at least be console exclusive like Street Fighter V.

It wouldn't. Silent Hill is not that big. Horror games are not that big. Paying Konami a shitload of money to make a Silent Hill game FOR THEM would only benefit Konami, not Sony.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
D94f.gif
D94f.gif
D94f.gif

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't. Silent Hill is not that big. Horror games are not that big. Paying Konami a shitload of money to make a Silent Hill game FOR THEM would only benefit Konami, not Sony.
LOL Yes, Resident Evil is not that big. Kojimas games are not that big. The return of a beloved IP as Silent Hill done as a AAA game by today's standards by a well known gaming personality and auteur would not be big. Sony wouldn't benefit at all from investing in this venture.

Do you know how ridiculous you sound?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Konami aren't gonna sell off their once big IP to be on one platform, at least it's gonna be PS4/PC.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's not an IP in good shape. Why spend a ton of money on reviving a game they don't own and that wouldn't be exclusive to their platforms? They already have their own horror IP.

Having Kojima's name behind it will be enough to drives sales and creating a new game within an established franchise is much less of a gamble then making a new IP like Death Stranding.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
LOL Yes, Resident Evil is not that big. Kojimas games are not that big. The return of a beloved IP as Silent Hill done as a AAA game by today's standards by a well known gaming personality and auteur would not be big. Sony wouldn't benefit at all from investing in this venture.

Do you know how ridiculous you sound?

Silent Hill never did Resident Evil numbers.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
RE2 Remake had already sold 5 million by December 2019. I'd call that a positive for the horror genre. Positivity is good.

Resident Evil is the horror IP. It's the only one that's ever really been a megahit. Silent Hill cannot, and will not, approach that level of sales. It's a niche horror series and spending a shitload of money on it would just mean the expectations would need to be astronomically high in order to satisfy both Konami and Sony.

It's not a good investment. Sony would be absolutely idiotic to do it.

Jun 4, 2018
Haven't posted in months, but the allure of a new Kojima-led project cannot be resisted! Voted for Silent Hill in the poll, because why not?!

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I never said it did, but it's an example of a Horror game that sells big. The likelihood of a high profile big budget Silent Hill game made by Kojima selling the most in franchise history and being very successful is very high.
If I was replying to you I woulda quoted you my man. It was a general to the "what if he's still funded by Sony meme"

Oct 26, 2017
kojimas new silent hills, will be focused on being a worker in totally not amazon warehouse, where you have to meet stritch quotas or pyramid man gets you

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Hulett can say that, but the game's events dont actually interact with Silent Hill at all. Returning characters come in the form of dlc costumes and Howard, who already was a nothing character that was getting a weird amount of push. It's a dreamworld rather than the actual town/otherworld.

Its existence doesnt intersect with the main franchise outside of pulling monsters

Your not one of the people that believed lies about Tomm Hulett that twinperfect spread to get people to harass him are you?

www.youtube.com

Who Ruined Silent Hill? - The Tragedy of Tomm Hulett: Part 1

Watch Part 2 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EfcatLcrrASMALL CORRECTION: At 17:28, the on-screen graphic credits Micheal Guinn as "Michael Gough", oop...

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
FFVIIR has an embargo that lifts on Monday and Riot Games is announcing their new IP on Monday. All of those are the 2nd though, he mentioned the third. That, alongside what Gearbox said about Godfall and a few other things makes me think we're getting some event next week.
Riot Games' thing is probably unrelated. I think the other two could absolutely indicate a big PlayStation thing coming next week, especially the Godfall tease.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
someone talk some sense into this thread because i can't get my hopes up for a revived silent hills. we're reaching right? ...right??