• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
images

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
I completed Dark souls 3 times.
I am yet to pass the 1st level of GnG, since childhood to parenthood I tried numerous times, and still fail.

Darks Souls is GnG of Fromsoft games would be more fitting perhaps.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
You kid but be ready for every gaming journalist and "influencer" to make that comparison.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've heard (from him) there's an arcade cabinet of this game at the Capcom HQ, and a sort of "guest book" near it where employees can write their thoughts about their runs.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
I'm sorry, OP, but GnG would absolutely shred Dark Souls in the difficulty spectrum, and leave nothing behind after it was done.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
GnG predates the Souls series by a few decades so I find the comparison as absurd as the whole Crash "Souls of platformers" quote that floated around a few years back. From didn't invent difficulty - "NES hard" and "SNK Boss syndrome" are just a couple of other quotes from their respective periods that people used to describe games that were hard (or they sucked at).
GnG really isn't that hard of a series to finish, unless you want to do no continue/death runs or handicap yourself by only using certain weapons like the torch etc. Most enemies are really easy to read and traps are fairly straight forward. Once you learn item chest placement it also takes the sting away when it comes to getting health back.
I guess you could talk about the Red Aremer placement and dealing with that foe, but again its all down to actually learning the enemy and not doing stupid shit. Each incarnation of the enemy has its own tells and ways of dealing with it (or you can just abuse console limitations) like how you could make them disappear in the NES port, how you just shoot up in Ghouls n Ghosts (they were a joke in that game) or how you get them on the ground in Super GnG and then attack them as they rush toward you. A little learning is really all you need to clear the games, and after you master the levels you'll fly through them, at least in my experience anyway.

Nah, that would be megaman
Mega Man is insanely easy, so no. Its a series that makes you game breakingly powerful just by beating a boss, especially if you end up going after one of the stronger weapons early (like Metal Blade in 2). I never got the difficulty concerns over the MM series - enemies drop a shit ton of health and weapon energy, energy tanks (from MM2 onwards) are plentiful enough, you can take a ton of hits before you die, you get several helper powerups (Rush/armor/Item 1-3 etc. AND the weapons you get from bosses bend the game in your favour.

And that's if you use the weapons. Which I stopped doing decades ago because it just ripped the fun out of the games, so I just use the default buster now. And its still not a hard series (though that's partially because I know them so well, but your still powerful and take a shit ton of hits, especially from 2 and up). And that's before the series got easier with 3 and up. By the time MM5 rolled around the game was showering you with so many item drops, 1ups etc. that it became even eaiser.

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
2364818-snes_superghoulsnghosts.jpg

With the recent announcement of a new one I remember it was an really hard game where I died a lot when I tried of the games kinda.....like Dark Souls. Going against monster in a medieval type of setting with everything able to kill.

Y'all think so too?

Dark souls on it's highest form is a cakewalk in comparison with GnG

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Worst thread

I like the nerd episode, how he thinks he beat the game and then nope lol

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
NES Ghosts n' Goblins was one of the first games I owned for the NES when I was a kid and I think it gave me self-esteem issues for the rest of my life.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
It's The Third Birthday of Capcom games on account of your character's clothes falling off when you take damage

danlher

Nov 1, 2017
When I was a kid I regularly finished Ninja Gaiden, Contra, Battletoads, you name it, but I never completed GnG.

Stupid game, I really like it though, so I'll guess I'll give it another try.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
If Darks Souls had too many enemies on the screen, controlled like a$$ and required you to do NG+ to see the ending

Oct 27, 2017
Ghosts and goblins would be a walk in the park if it wasn't for that fucking jump. Once you jump, say your prayers, because you have no control until you land and everything will go wrong while you're up in the air.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
it's not like souls at all but it is very difficult if that is what you are asking.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
Honestly you didn't show the right game, SGnG is pretty manageable and a lot of fun imo, love playing through it once a year or so (typically around Halloween). Now the original NES game? Yeah fuck that piece of shit.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
it's easy to get "stuck" while ducking in OG arcade gng, but ghouls n ghosts and super ghouls n ghosts are precise? the limited moveset is purposeful.

ghouls n ghosts is the easiest in the series tho? (at least imo) I think it's the tightest controlled g&g game, and that's why.
i think even with the double jump, the floatiness of super g&g's controls add a lot to the challenge

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
ghouls n ghosts is lowkey kinda... easy .. for the series tho? I think it's the tightest controlled g&g game, and that's why.
i think even with the double jump, the floatiness of super g&g's controls add a lot to the challenge

I think ghouls n ghosts with the single jump and the multi-directional aiming is the "best controlling". i'll take the aiming over the double jump all day every day.

Honestly you didn't show the right game, SGnG is pretty manageable and a lot of fun imo, love playing through it once a year or so (typically around Halloween). Now the original NES game? Yeah fuck that piece of shit.

Early NES/Famicom TOSE trash (they made a lot of it around this time)

The arcade game is quite good. Incredible to think it released the same week as SMB.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
I think ghouls n ghosts with the single jump and the multi-directional aiming is the "best controlling". i'll take the aiming over the double jump all day every day.

The arcade game is quite good. Incredible to think it released the same week as SMB.

Yeah i've never played the Arcade game to compare to the original NES game, so can't comment on that. May not help I played SGnG after GnG, but going back felt super awful to me, and I had a lot less patience to learn its nuances compared to SGnG.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
it's easy to get "stuck" while ducking in OG arcade gng, but ghouls n ghosts and super ghouls n ghosts are precise? the limited moveset is purposeful.
Might be purposeful but it's trash. The move set being what it is, is what makes the game harder. It's kinda like older RE games with the tank controls (not that I'm calling that trash) but the move set makes the game harder.

This is all my opinion of course, I'm sure people enjoy that but it's just not for me. I think games should be as easy to control as possible. When it's hard to control it's an artificial difficulty spike.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I didn't think Super Ghouls and Ghosts was all that difficult honestly. I beat that game many times over. Once you memorize the stage it's not a big deal. Ghosts and Goblins tho? That game was a fucker.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
the thing about ghosts n goblins is it isnt even funny when you die, its just annoying every time

the game hates the player for real

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Might be purposeful but it's trash. The move set being what it is, is what makes the game harder. It's kinda like older RE games with the tank controls (not that I'm calling that trash) but the move set makes the game harder.

This is all my opinion of course, I'm sure people enjoy that but it's just not for me. I think games should be as easy to control as possible. When it's hard to control it's an artificial difficulty spike.

it uses a d-pad where you move left and right. it has two buttons. how is it ANYTHING like RE tank controls. you just don't like the comitial nature of jumping and the slower pace, I get that. the games aren't "hard to control" just different than expected relative to other platformers.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
it uses a d-pad where you move left and right. it has two buttons. how is it ANYTHING like RE tank controls. you just don't like the comitial nature of jumping and the slower pace, I get that. the games aren't "hard to control" just different than expected relative to other platformers.
They aren't like RE, I just meant it's a similar situation. Compare tank control RE to the recent remakes, which controls better? I think the remakes.

You're right, the commitment of the jump is mainly what I don't like. Doesn't matter if it's a dpad where you only go left and right. If you could jump and control your character in the air it would be better.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

No, its not like tank controls. Its really not anywhere near as hard as your making it out to be (seems like your blaming the controls by the sounds of it...) You have a jump button, a fire button, and can move left and right. Your jump has a fixed arc (and you can jump a pretty long distance). you can't change direction mid jump, you fall like a stone - but if your paying attention you'll make sure you think before committing to a jump and rarely will you get caught out. Enemies spawn in the same spots, you have a fixed distance that you travel with a jump, and Red Aremers tend to telegraph their attacks. Its up to you to learn this, like any old game really...
And that's just the original GnG. Ghouls made things easier thanks to multi directional aiming. And Super gave you a double jump so you could change direction in mid air. Ultimate let you grab onto the edges of ledges.

I've played old games with legit awful controls - incredible lag, rubbish jump arcs, bad controls would be something like the NES Simpsons game where the run and jump actions are tied to the same button... GnG has, in my opinion none of these issues. Its just a learning curve, and not a particularly hard one at that, you don't need to learn button combos, special moves, and you don't even need to worry about weapons too much as most are semi decent at worst apart from the torch, and generally there's at least one chest at the start of a stage/checkpoint to swap weapons.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
You're right, the commitment of the jump is mainly what I don't like. Doesn't matter if it's a dpad where you only go left and right. If you could jump and control your character in the air it would be better.

You don't have great mid-air control over Simon Belmont in Castlevania I, but that is by design.

Similarly, the level design, hazards and enemy placement in games with controls like this is intentional. It may not be to your liking, but changing the movement is altering what makes these games work.

Oct 29, 2017

Micronix made the NES port of Gn'G; and it's an absolute piece of shit compared to the arcade original. They routinely did terrible work (and were also responsible for the disastrous 1942 NES port too!)

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
i think it's harder. I have the snes classic and I suck hard at super ghouls n ghosts. I beat bloodborne so I think I'm pretty decent at playing videogames, but that game just frustrates the hell out of me. I think I was better at it when I was a kid honestly. Probably has more to do with the fact that I'm accustomed to modern games now.