• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How would you rate it

• Good

Votes: 541 67.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 28 3.5%
  • Meh

Votes: 235 29.2%

• Total voters

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
Back when it came out, no one really cared about it.
I remember it being my most dull Disney movie.

I think it's one of those movies that grew on people over the years, and now Internet communities seems to praise it when it can.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Mostly bad, some good, voted meh.
It's the only Disney movie that I actually saw being made, though. (unless you count R&D for Tarzan and some concept art for Milan) In Burbank. I've never been to WDW.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
No were near my favorite Disney movie but it was a fun watch. Hades is one of my favorite Disney villains.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One thing the film doesn't explain...

Shouldn't Hades have KNOWN that Hercules wasn't dead?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It's pretty good imo, it's very say "unique" the whole las vegas theme & superman similarities are interesting choices.
OST is fucking great though, the muses being black ladies & singing gospel is something i always loved, i liked how they basically made hercules jesus with that.

Oct 28, 2017
What kind of a question is this? If you're being super critical then it's simply a good movie. At worst it is a good movie. But nah truth be told it's much better than good. Banging soundtrack, good characters, solid story, good messages, super fun. I will never get tired of watching it. Or listening to it in the background.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If they went on with the physical comedy from great feats of strength versus other great feats of strength they coulda had a lot of fun with it. They injected some weird ass modern issues (the consumerism angle is so...detached and impractical to this time period) it really sucks the fun outta the whole thing.

Jul 24, 2020
I like it.

To be honest even the worse of the Renaissance is better than most crap from Pixar/Disney/Dreamworks today.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Literally my favorite Disney movie. I connect way to much with Hercules, especially when I was younger. The whole movie is him doing shit not because he wants to, but because he is looking for "where he belongs". That aimless pursuit of happiness is too damn real. Also Meg's plot is great too. She sold her soul for a sack of shit who ended up leaving her, which makes her understandably jaded.

Also a solid commentary on religion. You don't gotta wait for heaven and gods to find happiness. The true happiness lies in sharing space with the people you love.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing and I'm quite pissed that it's marred by the inclusion of the bigot with a great voice, James Woods. I hope it stays dead because it's not the same without that version of Hades (and he did an objectively fantastic job), but I don't want that version of Hades to get anything from a revival. Small scale conflicted.

Godly soundtrack and the first time I can remember Disney doing Black people in a not complete sleazy manner. Could be missing something though.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
One of my favorite Disney movies.

Unique art style, great songs (everything on the soundtrack is a fucking banger), one of the best villains (fuck James Woods, but he's incredible as Hades).

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
It's one of my favorites from that era of Disney because the style and tone of the movie is so fun and upbeat. There's so much color and energy. It's like Aladdin in that sense. Just as re-watchable to me. Not the best but it's very fun to watch.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing and I'm quite pissed that it's marred by the inclusion of the bigot with a great voice, James Woods. I hope it stays dead because it's not the same without that version of Hades (and he did an objectively fantastic job), but I don't want that version of Hades to get anything from a revival. Small scale conflicted.

Godly soundtrack and the first time I can remember Disney doing Black people in a not complete sleazy manner. Could be missing something though.

Well... he was in Kingdom Hearts III just last year.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I think this had the Alan Menken's magnum opus soundtrack. What a genius move to combine Greek myhtlogy with American gospel choir. My most listened Disney music are from Hercules.

Micheal Bolton's Go the Distance performance is another thing.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Its a fantastic movie, I just dont like some of the character designs, feels very caricature-y.

Otherwise, lets see:
-Fantastic villain (even tho James Woods)

-Great creature design, the Hydra sequence is one of my favorite scenes in Disney history.

-Strong cast

-Wonderful music, the decision to do gospel music for a movie about gods was inspired. Go the Distance and I Won't Say I'm in Love are top tier

Yep, I love it.

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its no Lion King, but I loved it as a kid and it still holds up great.

The songs and animations still hold up well.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great movie. Has one of the better musical soundtracks, Hades is a great villain, good romance plot, and strong character development for the main character. Add on top of that, there is a strong visual style and good direction in some of the darker moments.

This song gets stuck in my head and I'm never mad about it.

Oct 25, 2017
I quite like it.
It's visually unique
The characters are fun
the musical numbers are great
the comedy has oddly enough aged rather well

It's no masterpiece but it's a great time.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I enjoyed it!

One thing that's gotten me in recent viewings (kids watch it occasionally) is the final scene in Hades where Hercules rescues Meg. He bends down to put his hands in a river to grab her, touches the water and starts to shrivel and pulls back.

They don't move to a different spot.

But after striking his deal with Hades, Herc then leaps off a giant cliff to dive into the water....that not a couple minutes ago he was able to bend down and touch. Just makes me lol

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's one of disney's weakest modern movies. Didn't like it as a kid and rewatched it recently with my daughter and also didn't think it was very good.

I think it also suffers from that mid-90s kids movie obsession with having side kicks that make pop culture references. It makes sense in Alladin because that was such a crucial part of robin williams comedy style, but that set the norm for so many lazy Dreamworks and a handful of Disney movies where the sidekicks basically just became vehicles for pop culture jokes and references. Dreamworks takes this to the extreme and still does in most of their movies, something that Disney is usually a little more reticent to do.

Of all of the original animated Disney movies in the 90s (eg not the straight to vhs sequels), Hercules is in the bottom tier. It's better than Tarzan but I think worse than everything else. I would have put it ahead of Emperor's new groove but I guess that was 2000. I also like Rescuers and some of those lesser known "pre-golden age" disney animated hits more than Hercules too. There's like Doug Movie and some lesser known ones that I haven't seen and don't have opinions on, but like the prestige disney animated movies I think that it's probably the 2nd worse of the 90s IMO

Last edited:

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I fucking love this movie. It's easier to re-watch than other movies from their Renaissance era. Unrelated, though I'm probably the only one on Era that loves Disney's Dinosaur (2000)

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it. Even though James Woods is a shit, Hades is one of the GOAT villains

I can always date when I first read D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths because I had already read it by the time Hercules came out in the summer of 1997 (after I had left Grade Four) and knew that they had changed a bunch of stuff. But I still enjoyed the movie then, and I do now.

It's a very fun mythological pastiche, and Megara is one of the most complex and mature characterizations in that era of Disney. Super-underrated character. Menken is also doing some of his most adventurous work with the soundtrack.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I'll go with "Meh".

I've watched it, and I barely remember anything from it. There's a scene where they fight in circle formation, or something like that, right? That's all I honestly remember.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Probably meh when it came out tbh but as a part of the Disney Rennisance it has been elevated to good status.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
It's pretty mediocre and the majority of the cast is pretty unlikable for me except for maybe Phil and Hades. It tries way too hard to cash in on what Aladdin accomplished so well and it falls flat IMO.
I always hated the character designs - particularly for Hades.
Ditto aside from Phil and Baby Hercules has got to be one of the ugliest babies to ever grace film.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
It's a hot mess of a movie that doesn't know what it wants to be. Still, voted meh. There are definite worse in the Disney pantheon, but it's not good either.