• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it was all up to Kojima it might have been on PC as well, Sony will make sure the only way will be maybe on Playstation Now.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Are you also expecting Spider-Man to be released on PC? Maybe Ratchet & Clank games too? Quantic Dream games are the exception at the moment. Not the norm.
Nope, I'm not.

But we hear this all the time "Yakuza isn't coming to PC" it came to PC. "GTA isn't coming to PC" It came to PC. Sure they weren't "First party", but I'd bet money on this coming to PC too, and if it doesn't? Meh.

Kadab

Oct 25, 2017
detroit, beyond and heavy rain are coming to the pc, so it could still be possible.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Did Sony do that they naturally do? Jump on a project and fund it and take over the rights for that game exclusivity? I still feel like that did that for Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
And nothing about either of those things suggests a PC version is on the way for Death Stranding. Thus, we remain at a stalemate.

Right but claiming "Decima means no PC" when the engine likely support PC as a target platform and seems to be in the process of implementing a Vulkan based renderer is far fetched.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Right but claiming "Decima means no PC" when the engine likely support PC as a target platform and seems to be in the process of implementing a Vulkan based renderer is far fetched.

'Remains a stalemate' — should have been explicit enough. There's no 'winning' this convo.
No, but the fact the game was officially announced for PC and Kojima recently didn't denied it does confirm it.

Where was it officially announced for PC?

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I will legit be surprised if it does come to pc. I have a through tat the back of my mind that Sony intends to scoop up Kojima Productions and make them a first party studio.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, I'm not.

But we hear this all the time "Yakuza isn't coming to PC" it came to PC. "GTA isn't coming to PC" It came to PC. Sure they weren't "First party", but I'd bet money on this coming to PC too, and if it doesn't? Meh.

I mean those games not being the first party is the biggest difference. Of course with every third party game there is bigger chance that they come to PC too because third paty publishers want to release game on every platform they can. With first party games they need Sonys approval for it. Could Death Stranting at some point come to PC? maybe. Like Quantic Dream games but I really wouldn't count on it because there are many many other third party developed but Sony published games that have been forever on PS (like Bloodborne and all Insomniac games). Your initial post indicated that it's a norm that these first party funded and published games will appear on PC. it's not. I mean something like Super Smash Bros Ultimate is also developed by third party developer (Namco) but no one expect it to come to PC.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
idk if DS is coming to PC but SIE own the trademark and are advertising it as a first-party game soo....

TCtdCxh.jpg

"GTA isn't coming to PC
only console-warring shitposters were saying this

literally every single gta game prior to V was on pc so you'd be a plonker to actually believe this

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If it does, then it will be in the same way as Quantic Dream's games. I personally think it's unlikely at this stage, but you never know.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
also Sony are using the same language to describe Death Stranding as an exclusive in official press releases alongside other games like Bloodborne, Spider-Man, Days Gone, Knack, Killzone, Horizon, inFamous Second Son, The Last of Us, Driveclub and God of War which aren't on PC atm

http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2016/160614b.html
http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2015/150415.html
http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2013/130611c.html
http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2014/140130.html
http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2013/130709.html

i mean it might come to PC someday but i ain't holding my breath lmao

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Well i said in my above comment that Sony has in the past published titles made by them on steam before. They've allowed titles that were co-developed by Sony studios like 'Everybody's gone to rapture' on steam as well. But yea Sony never explicitly states and keeps the word play going on, it favors them big time and the ambiguity remains. But well personally iam done taking things like these on face value from these companies with the whole (timed) exclusive game of theirs. I've seen too much similar shit and people eating crows about it to say never. The only way to found out is to wait a year or two after Death stranding's release cause its gonna be a cross-generation title for Sony.
Journey was the last of TGC's incubated projects with Santa Monica Studio. It was very successful for Sony and helped them build a reputation for helping shape these kinds of indie experiences and what would come next, but I don't think it had staying power like the big AAA IPs do for the PlayStation brand, mostly due to it being a 2-hour indie game that not many people talk about as much anymore or really buy as much on their platform. Nobody is asking for "Journey 2". Sony obliged TGC to put it on the PC because they were going to be moving away from console development and must have wanted to attain a bigger audience.

EGTTR was a one-off partnership that was assisted by Santa Monica Studio and after they decided that they no longer wanted to pursue a new project with Sony (or maybe it was the other way around) they wanted their IP to go to other platforms. Sony obliged them the license to publish on PC, and after that they decided to take Dear Esther to multiple platforms. Again, nobody is asking for "EGTTR 2".

Quantic Dream wanted to pursue something different after all of these years. They no longer wanted to work with Sony's production money (or maybe it was the other way around), so Sony obliged them the license to publish the game on PC as they see fit. Some people want a "Detroit 2", but the chance for that already passed. They've already done exactly what they need to for SIE and aren't getting sequels that would boost the PlayStation brand in any way.

What reason does Kojima have to want to leave the SIE WWS nest after such a short amount of time when he's getting all he could ever want from Sony's internal resources and the creative freedom he's been afforded? If Death Stranding as an IP is successful enough, not only Kojima is going to want to make another one, but Sony is going to want to put more weight behind it as content to drive their PlayStation business. PC really doesn't help them in that case.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Journey was the last of TGC's incubated projects with Santa Monica Studio. It was very successful for Sony and helped them build a reputation for helping shape these kinds of indie experiences and what would come next, but I don't think it had staying power like the big AAA IPs do for the PlayStation brand, mostly due to it being a 2-hour indie game that not many people talk about as much anymore or really buy as much on their platform. Nobody is asking for "Journey 2". Sony obliged TGC to put it on the PC because they were going to be moving away from console development and must have wanted to attain a bigger audience.

EGTTR was a one-off partnership that was assisted by Santa Monica Studio and after they decided that they no longer wanted to pursue a new project with Sony (or maybe it was the other way around) they wanted their IP to go to other platforms. Sony was happy to oblige them the license, and after that they decided to take Dear Esther to multiple platforms. Again, nobody is asking for "EGTTR 2".

Quantic Dream wanted to pursue something different after all of these years. They no longer wanted to work with Sony's production money (or maybe it was the other way around), so sony obliged them the license to publish the game on PC as they see fit. Some people want a "Detroit 2", but the chance for that already passed. They've already done exactly what they need to for SIE and aren't getting sequels that would boost the PlayStation brand in any way.

What reason does Kojima have to want to leave the SIE WWS nest after such a short amount of time when he's getting all he could ever want from Sony's internal resources and the creative freedom he's been afforded? If Death Stranding as an IP is successful enough, not only Kojima is going to want to make another one, but Sony is going to want to put more weight behind it as content to drive their PlayStation business. PC really doesn't help them in that case.

I think this is a good summary of the situation honestly.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018

EGTTR was a one-off partnership that was assisted by Santa Monica Studio and after they decided that they no longer wanted to pursue a new project with Sony (or maybe it was the other way around) they wanted their IP to go to other platforms. Sony was happy to oblige them the license, and after that they decided to take Dear Esther to multiple platforms. Again, nobody is asking for "EGTTR 2".

Quantic Dream wanted to pursue something different after all of these years. They no longer wanted to work with Sony's production money (or maybe it was the other way around), so sony obliged them the license to publish the game on PC as they see fit. Some people want a "Detroit 2", but the chance for that already passed. They've already done exactly what they need to for SIE and aren't getting sequels that would boost the PlayStation brand in any way.

Good, informative read!

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

EGTTR was a one-off partnership that was assisted by Santa Monica Studio and after they decided that they no longer wanted to pursue a new project with Sony (or maybe it was the other way around) they wanted their IP to go to other platforms. Sony obliged them the license to publish on PC, and after that they decided to take Dear Esther to multiple platforms. Again, nobody is asking for "EGTTR 2".

Quantic Dream wanted to pursue something different after all of these years. They no longer wanted to work with Sony's production money (or maybe it was the other way around), so Sony obliged them the license to publish the game on PC as they see fit. Some people want a "Detroit 2", but the chance for that already passed. They've already done exactly what they need to for SIE and aren't getting sequels that would boost the PlayStation brand in any way.

yup, this makes a lot of sense

also in the case of quantic dream, they've got that netease money now which is why all their games from now on will be multiplatform

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
Kojima published a Medium Q&A detaling things about the game. It was later removed but don't act like it never existed.

also Sony are using the same language to describe Death Stranding as an exclusive in official press releases alongside other games like Bloodborne, Spider-Man, Days Gone, Knack, Killzone, Horizon, inFamous Second Son, The Last of Us, Driveclub and God of War which aren't on PC atm

http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2016/160614b.html
http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2015/150415.html
http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2013/130611c.html
http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2014/140130.html
http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2013/130709.html

i mean it might come to PC someday but i ain't holding my breath lmao
But those links say exactly the opposite. They don't call any of those games "console exclusive".

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
Kojima published a Medium Q&A detaling things about the game. It was later removed but don't act like it never existed.

Again, that was about an unannounced project. Not Death Stranding. Ball remains in your court.

So it was canceled once the project began to coalesce? Why not explicitly confirm that?

i mean, besides it being on Sony's engine, and them marketing it like any of their other exclusives, perhaps they don't really see a need to not explicitly state it (as they haven't done with Bloodborne, which remains a PS4 exclusive four years later). :P

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
When it was announced.

Death Stranding was announced on the Sony stage at E3.

Kojima literally said it was coming to pc at a later date.

This is the fishy bit about all of this. Kojima said, before DS was announced and before any information about his new studio or anything, that their 'first game' would come to PS4 and PC. Later, Death Stranding was announced on a Sony stage as a PS4 exclusive and has only ever been referred to as coming to PlayStation.

Now, I'm not saying it won't one day come to PC. Maybe it can? We don't know. Loads of 'exclusive' games have later released on other platforms. But, with everything we know today, Death Stranding is coming to PlayStation and has never been announced, by name, as coming to any other platform. Kojima once said that a game would come to PC later. Maybe at the time that was his intention with DS. Maybe that was a different game? Maybe later he signed on with Sony for full exclusivity with DS. Maybe it's all a years timed exclusive or whatever. But we don't know any of that. That (now deleted) quote didn't mention Death Stranding. It was made before the game was announced.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Will never understand those who get upset by more people being able to play a game.

HeWhoWalks

Jan 17, 2018
So it was canceled once the project began to coalesce? Why not explicitly confirm that?
It could very well have been Death Stranding. I'm sure he already had an idea of what he wanted to do next but the ball was removed from the court because of Sony.

What we have right now is no confirmation of a PC version to Death Stranding is what many of us are saying. Could it happen? Sure. Right now, it isn't.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it's not sony first party a la TLoU, GoW, ect right?

then yeah it'll come to PC... like five years from now or something

Status
Not open for further replies.