• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
I've been watching all week since Cyberpunk came out. Listening to as many podcasts as I can. I'm not a fanboy of any console, nor am I bashing any existing console. It's just that for nearly a year, I've listened to Stadia be the butt ALL the jokes from every member of the gaming press. There has been a steady but growing community on the Stadia reddit with a constant refrain, "What the hell? Stadia is actually really great!"

So I've been watching closely as everybody has been shocked about Cyberpunk's performance on pretty much ALL the hardware except PC. And I *still* don't hear anybody really recognizing how great STADIA is as a platform. We can have a different discussion about the pricing model, but I've heard people OUTSIDE Of the gaming press talk about Stadia. Linus. David Jaffee. Bungie. Unbox Therapy. So many people caught off guard by how good the service is. Jaffe even went so far as to talk about people's pride in admitting that it's good. But the gaming press has been crickets and tumbleweeds. I don't hear podcasts talking about it. Even DLC with Andrew Reiner and Christian Spicer mentioned LUNA streaming in their last podcast, had an entire discussion about CyberPunk, but not even a WORD about Stadia. This same thing happened with Oculus Quest.
All I'm saying is that I don't expect much from the community with regards to tech that is different or challenging, but i do expect the press to discuss the gaming industry equally - which will ultimately affect the more close-minded community. Like Quest's more recent adoption by the gaming community (affected undoubtedly by name brand gaming journos speaking more highly of it), Stadia and services like it should get the same 'shout outs'. To be frank, Stadia is probably the BEST streaming service, blowing the stability and quality of Xcloud, Geforce Now, and Luna away. Within this digital landscape, it's the only one where you 'own' your games. The frequency and deep discount sales and pricing of major titles are at least on par with PSN and Xbox Live.

Not asking the press to eat crow. Asking the press to do their jobs and give Stadia another hard look and consider what that means in this new-gen gaming landscape. One question that people always ask is, "What's the point of Stadia". As a person who has almost every major AAA first-party game on PS4 (with a crazy backlog of shame), see no real interest in upgrading to PS5 until they announce whatever they're doing with PSVR 2, and who made the decision to buy all of my big third party AAA games on Stadia going forward...

...I'd say that the space-saving, the speed, the evolving graphics, the low cost of entry, the sales, and the mobility to play on anything with chrome ANYWHERE? I enjoy Cyberpunk on my iPad. A LOT. or on my computer. Or my TV. That's the point, I think. I'm the audience...and there are a LOT of us.

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
I played Celeste on it and it was borderline unplayable and it racks up data caps which anyone on Comcast in the Northeast just got stuck with. No, they shouldn't.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
You probably should have worded your thread title around something other than Cyberpunk specifically if you want it to stay open.

And Stadia's only doing well this month because the other versions are so broken.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the audience...and there are a LOT of us.
R1fdEt3.gif

I have nothing against Stadia

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
There's no point. Nobody has or wants the damn thing and that's not going to change.

Korghano

Oct 25, 2017
I've had Stadia since launch. It's a super-niche use-case, and I'd argue in most cases feels inferior.

FTLMantis

Oct 28, 2017
I definitely have. Stadia has been a huge success for me and has made it possible to play a bunch of games I otherwise wouldn't have, including cyberpunk and red dead. It's cheap, straightforward to use, and offers really high quality service. I don't think I'm ever buying a non handheld/nintendo console again.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
"Within this digital landscape, it's the only one where you 'own' your games. The frequency and deep discount sales and pricing of major titles are at least on par with PSN and Xbox Live."

GeForce Now allows streaming games from your Steam library, so no, Stadia isn't astreaming platform you own your games.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Patrick and Cado from Waypoint/VICE are playing it on Stadia and they've been speaking about it on the Waypoint Radio podcast. However, I think it's a biproduct of how disastrous CP2077's launch has been, combined with the limited availability of next gen console and PC GPUs that offer a good experience for CP2077. If those factors weren't a thing, I doubt they'd be playing it there.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Nope. It's still an experience that just isn't practical for the vast majority of players due to the sorry state of America's internet infrastructure.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read the op and im still really lost on what the link between stadia and cyberpunk 2077 is

Oct 28, 2019
The Verge: "It may be hard to believe, but the Google Stadia version of Cyberpunk 2077 may be the best way to play for most players right now."

There's been a fair share of articles tbf

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The service is growing, whether the core gaming community likes it or not. Expect over time more and more game to start releasing on Stadia.

Status
Not open for further replies.