• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Muv-Luv Extra is fucking torture. Like I think i'm about 2 hours in and idk how much more of this I can stomach. Like I heard about how amazing the series get's down the line and that'll it'll all be worth it in the end, but I really cannot tolerate much more of this. Like is Extra really necessary to enjoy the later parts and are the later parts really that amazing to justify suffering through this??? At the very least is there like some super entertaining let's player I can watch instead whose played through this?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Takeru is a piece of shit for like half of Extra, and part of what makes Unlimited and Alternative better is seeing him *realize* that he's an asshole and growing from it. You see him mellow out the further into Extra that you get.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
You can kind of skim Extra if it's stopping you that much. It's *intentionally* bland and cliche. I've had a friend fall off at Extra too, so I won't suggest reading it too closely if it'll keep you from getting to the good stuff.

Extra's purpose is to establish the main personality traits/tropes of the cast, and Takeru's relationships with them. As long as you skim it well enough to understand those things, you're fine. The "good" part of the series then plays on what was established in Extra.

Don't bother reading Extra with too much detail if it hurts too much. It's not required.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
You can kind of skim Extra if it's stopping you that much. It's *intentionally* bland and cliche. I've had a friend fall off at Extra too, so I won't suggest reading it too closely if it'll keep you from getting to the good stuff.

Extra's purpose is to establish the main personality traits/tropes of the cast, and Takeru's relationships with them. As long as you skim it well enough to understand those things, you're fine. The "good" part of the series then plays on what was established in Extra.

Don't bother reading Extra with too much detail if it hurts too much. It's not required.

I won't tell you that you're wrong, but I disagree. I feel like it's intentional that the story goes full circle;

By the time you're done with Alternative, seeing the cast - everyone - in the Final Extra world is cathartic. At least for me, I don't think I would've had the same reaction if I hadn't absorbed Extra first.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I won't tell you that you're wrong, but I disagree. I feel like it's intentional that the story goes full circle;

By the time you're done with Alternative, seeing the cast - everyone - in the Final Extra world is cathartic. At least for me, I don't think I would've had the same reaction if I hadn't absorbed Extra first.
I understand your point, and I do agree that the shift in atmosphere between the Extra world and the Alternative world is one of the big mindblow parts of the series.

But if someone is about to drop the entire game because Extra sucks too much to read (which is completely understandable, because Extra is really bad), then I'd rather tell them to skim it rather than have them miss the chance at experiencing the rest of the series. That way they might get a reduced impact when the series turns everything on its head as it goes into Unlimited because they weren't as absorbed into the world of Extra, but at least they get there.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about 10 hours into Unlimited right now. To be honest, I was surprised at how bearable I found Extra? There's the occasional annoying sex-pest scene, but otherwise it was decently funny and much less of a slog than I was expecting (though it was still too long).

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I understand your point, and I do agree that the shift in atmosphere between the Extra world and the Alternative world is one of the big mindblow parts of the series.

But if someone is about to drop the entire game because Extra sucks too much to read (which is completely understandable, because Extra is really bad), then I'd rather tell them to skim it rather than have them miss the chance at experiencing the rest of the series. That way they might get a reduced impact when the series turns everything on its head as it goes into Unlimited because they weren't as absorbed into the world of Extra, but at least they get there.

Yeah, that's fair, but I do genuinely believe that Extra gets better halfway through. I wasn't a huge fan of Extra at the beginning either.

AllenShrz

Nov 6, 2017
Extra is needed but what I would recommend is to fast read, just pay a little more attention whenever Meiya, Sumika and Yuuko are on the screen.

The insane ride is worth it.

OP
OP
CharlesAznable
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 10 hours into Unlimited right now. To be honest, I was surprised at how bearable I found Extra? There's the occasional annoying sex-pest scene, but otherwise it was decently funny and much less of a slog than I was expecting (though it was still too long).

Yeah it's not as bad as I thought it'd be but then again my expectations going in were extremely low. My main issue, is that I don't like SoL at all. I can't even stomach SoL anime much less a visual novel where the pacing will naturally be a lot slower. Like I'm barley 2 hours in and i'm already super bored. Idk if I can take another 10+ hours of it.

Turn 360 degrees and just walk away now OP. It's super long and not worth it in the end.

fd1.gif

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
The lacrosse arc is one of the worst parts of a VN I have ever played and I've played a lot of VNs.

But you need the context.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The lacrosse arc is one of the worst parts of a VN I have ever played and I've played a lot of VNs.

But you need the context.
Lol the lacrosse thing is easily the worst part of Extra. It's just like, they really fucking tried to make that part as anime as possible, in a bad way. And they succeeded.

NazoNazoXLR

Dec 20, 2019
I started with Alternative. I liked it a lot. It's the only "pure" VN of full length that I've ever paid for or finished.

Well, that's not entirely true, I think I "watched" a LP of Unlimited that I started skipping around on whenever I got bored

Didn't even bother with Extra. My time is too valuable for these long bait and switch setups that so many post Higurashi VNs like to do, especially when the characters are so archetypical. Summarize it with 20 words or less.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Keep going. Skipping on Extra is skipping on a lot of important things: character developpement, foreshadowing but also momentum building. What the story is telling requires you first to get into Extra and get used to it. Otherwise you're missing the point.

OP
OP
CharlesAznable
Oct 25, 2017
Alright I've done. Beaten both Sumika and Meiya's routes. I think what helped the most was to stop viewing it as a blocker for getting to the "good stuff". And to just accept it for what it was and to try to enjoy it that way. Once I did that it became much easier to get through. It wasn't as bad as I made it out to be, but still definitely not my cup of tea. Excited to get into Unlimited now though.