• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
I took my ex's hoodie until we moved in together. It was definitely a scent thing for me because I wear what makes me comfortable. I wont touch anything of my current BFs things they honestly dont smell like anything. He wears the most standard deodorant no body spray or cologne.

He'll sure as hell steal my shit though. I lost a Labyrinth shirt to him. Had to buy one actually made for women so he wont steal that one

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Because people would look at you differently if you were using women's clothes. And men's clothes are made to be comfortable while women's are made to make them look nice/sexy, that's how society works.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's to all the good articles of clothing stolen from people who were in the dating scene. Let your hoodies and oversized flannel find new purpose.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
She did you a favor 🤷🏻‍♂️
Reported.

EAw2O4QVUAESgVu.jpg

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
Insecurity probably comes into play in some cases. They might feel that you're less likely to dump them via text or phone (or even ghost them completely) if they have your favorite sweatshirt. You're more likely locked into the face-to-face confrontation in that situation.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Insecurity probably comes into play in some cases. They might feel that you're less likely to dump them via text or phone (or even ghost them completely) if they have your favorite sweatshirt. You're more likely locked into the face-to-face confrontation in that situation.
This is probably an unhealthy assumption.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
my SO has all these cool gaming/Star wars t shirts, i "borrow" them but then they end up in my closet forever

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I don't. I have my own clothing and never wear my husband's clothing. If we were out and I didn't have a hoodie and he did and wasn't cold I'd wear his but most of the time I have my own clothing.

I also don't care about "fashion". My home clothing is sweats, a tshirt and a hoodie. To leave the house I put on a pair of jeans or shorts. I don't like dresses or skirts, the last time I wore a skirt was when I got married 13 years ago. My family growing up rarely "dressed up", pretty much dressing up was for church and everything clothing was jeans/shorts and a tshirt.

I will sometimes buy men's sweat pants though because they have pockets.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
My wife has told me the smell is a big factor.

When my grandmother died, my mom started wearing her scarves everywhere, because they smelled like her mom

My ex-wife wanted one of my undershirts while we were dating because of this.

It's one of those things that only women can get away with without sounding like a fucking psychopath.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
I recall this a small amount personally, but usually I am the one stealing my partners outfits. Reason? Because I sometimes like their tighter fit, and I dislike clothes shopping.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a flannel shirt I wore all the time. GF stole and started wearing it all the time.

it was a massive turn on.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I had an ex that would steal my hoodies because "they smell of you so I can smell it when you're not around" which seemed a little weird to me but whatever.
In general, us women seem a lot more sensitive to smells and attach stronger emotions to them than men do. I know that when I started HRT 5.5 years ago, I noticed how after some time my sense of smell seemed to become more acute and stimulated stronger reactions in my nervous system.

That said, although I absolutely adore my boyfriend's natural smell (I seem to always be sniffing on him, haha), I never wear his clothes. This despite the fact that he's always egged me on to do so, as it's apparently a huge turn on for him. As a transitioned woman, I just can't bring myself to get inside the clothes of the wrong gender anymore. 37+ years of it was more than enough for me.

So I'll just keep sniffing on his bod, lol.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
my sister was doing it all the time. Whenever i wasn't home she would just burst into my room and pick some clothes - hoodies, shirts, sweatpants, Jackets.

the thing is she wouldn't wear those at home, but for going out.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you fucked up at some point, and you've never apologized.

Nah, she usually gets me nice new jackets to make up for it. But the cycle continues. She is just bad at putting things back where they belong, and they eventually are lost. She always grabs mine because they're the only ones hung up where they're supposed to be.

Mudkip Xbox Series X

Alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2019
Because its flirty, because of the scent and because it's teasing and because it's cute.

It's out of love and crushes.

Lol at the explanation in the OP.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I asked the wifey just now and got the following response:

"They smell like you and they're comfy. But mostly the smell part."

Oct 28, 2017
Question is also why don't men do it? (Can't say I've ever had the urge, but what do I know?)

There's the practical reason, in the average couple the guy is probably bulkier, and oversized clothes are comfortable, while nobody wants to wear too small sizes.
But probably also good old sexism, men not wanting to look "girly"
Also people mimicking portrayals of relationships in all kinds of media

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
1) Comfort- easier to wear a baggy men's that find a women's that fit all curves correctly. I never buy women's tee cause the never fit correctly.
2) Pockets, pockets, pockets.
3) Quality of material- men cloth then to be made with durable fabrics compared to the tissue paper of most female clothing.
4) Choice- women's cloth lacks a diversity of practical outdoor clothing- work books, hiking boots, multi-pocket work pants, durable fabric. It is getting better is say fitness areas, but section is still sparse.
5) Design/color- depends on the fashion season. Some guy designs universally look good on both sexes. If your a women who likes dark, jewel tone, or muted colors vs pastels and brights- guys cloths is where it is at.
6) Cost- practical pieces of men's cloth is higher quality and cheaper than many women's version.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
My wife has never done this (unless it's like out of necessity) and I've never dated anyone who did either. I find it extremely odd tbh.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
My older niece (13) constantly steals my hoodies too and wears them like oversized for her. And then my sister in law brings whatever my niece left with a few days later.
And my other sister in law steals my hoodies every now and then too when they visit with my other niece.

I've never asked why, but I don't care much either.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
My girlfriend does it cause she likes to smell me when I'm not around. Quiet frankly I bet if women's clothing were more unisex you'd see more guys do the same lol.

For women that I'm not dating 100% of the time I have been told it is because my sweaters and jackets are warmer then theirs. SMH y'all women need to talk to whoever is making women's sweaters no thicker then 3 piece of paper stacked on top of each other. cause it ain't helping with the whole "staying warm" thing.