• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Carol & Tuesday :

141963.jpg

(yeah, another Watanabee show) with wonderful Eisaku Kubonouchi chara designs

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Kilik was that dude, him and his crew leagues ahead of the main group

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, Soul Eater has some issues when it comes to some of it's female representation, but it's black representation is amazing.

d709e74a6cc96d287bf288fbf8baf572.jpg

Much more of Bleach is bad than is good, let's be honest here

I mean yeah, because there's more of Bleach after the Soul Society arc by the end.

Everything after the Arrancar was trash. Half of Arrancar is REALLY bad.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Soul Eater has some issues when it comes to some of it's female representation, but it's black representation is amazing.

d709e74a6cc96d287bf288fbf8baf572.jpg

I mean yeah, because there's more of Bleach after the Soul Society arc by the end.

Everything after the Arrancar was trash. Half of Arrancar is REALLY bad.
Finally, Kilik getting the respect he deserves. Sid was cool too.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Nov 1, 2017
Why am I not suprised? A lot of alt right assholes sadly watch a lot of anime (not exclusive to the medium mind you, as there are plenty of cool people in the anime community) Just like gaming, there is a fair share of racists and bigots.

giphy.gif

115629.gif

Yeah Dutch is the man. Every time he is on screen he steals the show.

I love Watanabe. Never saw this quote but I respect him even more after seeing it.

Dutch is absolutely one of the best. It's really hard to go wrong with Black Lagoon, it was written so damn well. The anime was pure quality and the manga was superb as well.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
DiscreteTangibleDrongo-size_restricted.gif

H23bsCz.gif

Dan Davis' struggles for freedom in Animatrix: World Record was so evocative. The director of the short film, Takeshi Koike, would go on to direct Redline.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
aren't really any main characters in eizoken right now who are black (maybe the audio engineer?) but a large amount of the student body is definitely more noticably black

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My vote goes to Kilik from Soul Eater and Dutch from Black Lagoon. And there's another black character I really like due to being the voice of reason in a crazed world and scenario, but I won't mention them due to being a potential spoiler for an upcoming anime sequel.

I guess Miruko counts
latest
I don't really see her as black, but I could be wrong.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't a black man in Bleach transform into a chicken?

Like, remember...

The vizard assassin during the flashback when it shows Ichigo's dad as still a captain and it's basically just a crude caricature of the ODB?

Bleach does black people dirty just as much as it does them well.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami

Yoruichi

226605-kaname_tosen.jpg

Tosen.

I mean there's Tosen and Yoruichi from Bleach which were both excellent. None of them had any stereotypical stuff like KillerBee and Darui up to a point.

Killer Bee and his bro always bugged me.

This list sucks.
Pretty much all I came in to contribute. Tosen is one of my favorite anime characters period but both should have made this list.

Didn't a black man in Bleach transform into a chicken?

Yes, also in the final arc Yoruichi has a final form that she is basically forced into against her will by Urahara that turns her into a lighting cat with lightning clothes with added lightning thong that makes her into a regular ass cat mentality that she is kinda sub servant to Urahara as she will only listen to him till she gets her mood back.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Hilariously enough that was also the black espada

Another black villain came up in the manga only final arc who turns into this shit
hqdefault.jpg

And the OG black villain in Bleach, Tosen turned into this
I forgot about the Quincy arc developments...

Honestly, I'll always enjoy how Tosen gaining sight immediately overwhelmed him and led to his immediate defeat.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I mean one off background filler isn't exactly notable

When it comes to depicting a ostensibly Japanese school? I guess not fitting the topic for notable singular characters, but I think creating environments where normalacy isn't monocultural is its own aspect of this kinda thing

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Yoruichi

226605-kaname_tosen.jpg

Tosen.

I mean there's Tosen and Yoruichi from Bleach which were both excellent. None of them had any stereotypical stuff like KillerBee and Darui up to a point.

Killer Bee and his bro always bugged me.

This list sucks.

Tousen is a great character, but his death was one of the indicator that that show was about to jump a big big shark. I'll still stan for it, but man...it is a fingernail away from shifting from being a poignant commentary on how he lived his life to "BUGS ARE COOL YEAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

You know what's up.

Black Lagoon and Michiko & Hatchin are a must watch if you want badass black characters. Watch both dubbed.

Or, good black characters.

But like, Michiko is a terrible person, but she's a great character.

Jumbo though...man, I love Jumbo.

latest

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
The final arc was really really bad in a large number of ways but the way Yoruichi handled was one of the handful of times it was gross and not just really dumb
That really sucks. I gave Kubo some side-eye for the way Tosen was treated at the end
why was he the only one of the three rebel captains to die again?
but I hoped for better for Yoruichi.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I never knew there's an anime character with the name Muhammad.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to depicting a ostensibly Japanese school? I guess not fitting the topic for notable singular characters, but I think creating environments where normalacy isn't monocultural is its own aspect of this kinda thing

I figured it took place in a fantasy setting that was Japanese themed. Is it actually based on a real location?

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The strongest village in naruto is predominantly black and run by black leaders, it was good to see Bee on the list but I like Darui more and Ay.

Good to see michiko love in this thread, thats a show that gets like no recognition.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
A shame that Avdol is voiced by a white guy in the dub. Credit where it's due, Avdol's VA does a good job. But I still wish that a black voice actor got a chance to shine.

Also, I agree that Dutch should be up there. He was the only reason the group didn't go off the rails in Black Lagoon. Dutch was quite literally the rock of the team (funny considering Rock's codename being.....well, Rock).

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Bee was a fucking legit fighter I just didn't like that he rapped like 95% of the time and it got old fast; the first major black character in Naruto in he rapped? my eyes could roll hard enough..

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
A shame that Avdol is voiced by a white guy in the dub. Credit where it's due, Avdol's VA does a good job. But I still wish that a black voice actor got a chance to shine.

Also, I agree that Dutch should be up there. He was the only reason the group didn't go off the rails in Black Lagoon. Dutch was quite literally the rock of the team (funny considering Rock's codename being.....well, Rock).

The original is too good, though...

HEEEEELLLLL 2 UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Lulu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also Komamura shouldn't have jobbed their, one of the best captains because his take no shit approach. I was so upset, it could have been a real good emotional battle between former best friends.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Caska and Michiko over Rocklock and Killer Bee

Hell Canary over Rocklock

I love representation but tbh Killer Bee just feels bad

A goofy OG I get but part of me thinks this portrayal is just a cheap stereotype

I do appreciate the fact that they are a jinchuriki

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Carol & Tuesday :

141963.jpg

(yeah, another Watanabee show) with wonderful Eisaku Kubonouchi chara designs
Carole is another case of a character who I really wish got a black actress for the dub. Granted, at least the actress they got (Jeannie Tirado) wasn't white (she's actually Puerto Rican). But considering that Watanabe went out of his way to get a black singer for Carole's singing voice, I wish the English dub followed suit.

The original is too good, though...

HEEEEELLLLL 2 UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
You're not wrong, but that's one of the things that makes JoJo shine.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bee was a fucking legit fighter I just didn't like that he rapped like 95% of the time and it got old fast; the first major black character in Naruto in he rapped? my eyes could roll hard enough..
I feel it kinda helped that his brother the Raikage was introduced soon afterwards and was his polar opposite in personality.

...Of course, the Raikage was basically an angry black man stereotype himself.

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, knowing how racist the gaming community and YouTube viewers are, the response shouldn't surprise anyone.

Anyway, Rock Lock feels like a lazy entry. They could have included one black woman. It's weird as fuck seeing a list like this without Michiko.