• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Top 7 is fine, the rest is a mess but who cares when you're that low in the ranking? Batman 66 is a piece of shit though, putting higher than other movies is just trolling.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
The Batman just came out and its already 2nd best? I dislike it when something new comes out it has to be the best or near the best.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I'm surprised people still stan on Rises. That movie is just so fucking bad on just about every level. It probably should be lower if anything.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agreeish. Some things would be swapped a spot or two in my personal list, but this isn't wildly different from my opinions. The one exception is Batman Returns which I think is being underrated in their list.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The Batman just came out and its already 2nd best? I dislike it when something new comes out it has to be the best or near the best.

Same, but I think it kind of winds up being judged that way by default in this context. I feel like most of the conversation is TDK at #1 with a (smart) contingent reminding everyone that Phantasm is a perfect movie, and another group talking about how great the Burton movies are. So if you like The Batman it's probably going to rank in your top five regardless. It's vying mostly with TDK, Phantasm, and 89.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Modern day Dark Knight Rises hate has really reached its zenith if IGN is jumping on the bandwagon.

while it is the start of Nolan's new style of filmmaking I dont like at all its a great movie

Thisisme

Apr 14, 2018
One of the Batman (1989) or Batman Returns should be in top 3. Keaton and his fantastic supporting cast are being under-appreciated here. Think about it: iconic performances from Keaton, Nicholson, Pfeiffer, DeVito, Bassinger, Walken get no better than fifth place? These are generational actresses/actors doing good work.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd swap:

1. The Batman
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight

Otherwise fine. I've said it a lot but The Dark Knight is a messy movie anchored by an amazing Joker performance from Heath.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Phantasm and Forever would be higher for me personally, but I'm including the cut scenes from Forever in my assessment, with Phantasm being #1

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Begins is probably my favorite.

Can't wait to rewatch The Batman when it comes out, I really liked it in theater but I need to see it again before I decide where it ranks for me for sure.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
I really like the Nolan films and then others have nostalgia.

I just saw The Batman last night and would probably place it pretty low. The movie was interesting, but it reallllllly dragged especially towards the end. Felt like they could have cut 30-45 minutes off of the movie.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
wow

just need to swap batman begins & the dark knight and it might be spot on to my tastes

need to see the batman again though, who knows if that'll take #1 on a rewatch

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
About the only thing I'd switch is B&R and BvS. BvS isn't good, but Batfleck is at least pretty bad ass and has a dope design. B&R is just unbearable in almost every scene, and I've got a really high tolerance for cheese. Bonus fuck you points for shitting all over Mr. Freeze who's my 2nd favorite Batman villain.

This is the best review I've ever read for that movie.

I'd also put Batman Subzero on that list somehow. Deserves to be top 10.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
  1. Batman Returns
  2. The Batman (may go lower, still in honeymoon phase)
  3. Batman
  4. Mask of the Phantasm
  5. Batman Begins
  6. The Dark Knight (rewatches have really chipped away at my initially higher opinion of this movie)
  7. Batman & Robin (if you allow the goofiness and camp into your heart, this movie will fill it with laughter and love, even more so if you get hammered or stoned and watch it with friends)
  8. Batman '66

That is where the Batman movies worth caring about end.

Honorable mention to Return of the Joker.

I really like Batman Returns...maybe even more than Batman 89. It has its goofy moments, but is underrated. Burton did an excellent job of creating Gotham. Everything beyond it just feels like NYC or something.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Uncommon opinion, from beginning to end, Batman Begins is the best of the Nolan trilogy.
Also finally Forever gets some shine, resaw it recently and it has aged good, Kilmer was a good Batman

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I'd move up the Snyder cut and drop down Begins (which is an awful film with little charm), but I'm glad to see Rise so low. I remember when it released and people bullied critics giving it less than perfect scores. Glad to see that's changed.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I think TDK is still the best and then either The Batman or Batman Begins so this list is generally accurate. Both The Batman and Batman Begins have more flaws than TDK and the two are very different from each other stylistically so its hard to compare.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I really like Batman Returns...maybe even more than Batman 89. It has its goofy moments, but is underrated. Burton did an excellent job of creating Gotham. Everything beyond it just feels like NYC or something.
Yeah, the Gotham of Batman Returns feels like the sort of place that would need to exist to continually produce Batman characters.

I think in a series where grief and trauma are so central to so many of the characters, the environment that tortures its inhabitants should look torturous.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised people still stan on Rises. That movie is just so fucking bad on just about every level. It probably should be lower if anything.

Yeah, I enjoyed it for what it was when it came out and defended it, but on a recent rewatch of the Nolan trilogy it really stood out in its awfulness.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
It's not as shocking as I thought it'd be, but I'm not sure if that was the intent of this thread or not since there's no commentary other than the cryptic thread title. XD

Oct 25, 2017
I can respect this list even if my own ranking would not be identical, the important entries are roughly in the right ballparks
I think The Batman is my #1
I like Begins less than most people it seems
I think I like Forever more than most people as well

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
I don't agree but I can see it.

Top 5 for me would be (Top 2 could switch any given day):

1. Dark Knight
2. Batman Returns
3. Mask of the Phantasm
4. The Batman
5. Batman (89)

The Batman would be higher if it wasn't for the last act.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Batman 66 is a timeless classic and I found The Batman incredibly boring and joyless, so I definitely have different opinions.

Not counting the animated movies:

1. BatMan 66
2. BatMan 1989
3. The Dark Knight
4. BatMan Returns
5. BatMan Begins
6. The Dark Knight Rises
7. The Batman
8. BatMan Forever
9. Justice League
10. BatMan V Superman
11. Batman and Robin

Last edited:

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Time to be an agent of chaos.

1. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
2. The Batman
3. Batman Begins
4. The Dark Knight
5. Batman (1989)
6. Batman: The Movie (1966)
7. The LEGO Batman Movie
8. The Dark Knight Rises
9. Batman Forever
10. Batman Returns
11. Zack Snyder's Justice League
12. Batman and Robin
13. Josstice League
14. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I think the rankings are all reasonable, even if not exactly where I would put everything. Haven't seen ZSJL or The Batman yet but other than those I'd rank them:

1. Batman Begins
2. The Dark Knight
3. Batman 89
4. Batman Returns
5. Mask of the Phantasm
6. Batman Forever
7. Batman 66
8. The Lego Batman Movie
9. The Dark Knight Rises
10. Justice League
11. Batman vs Superman
12. Batman & Robin

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'd probably rank LEGO Batman higher, and I personally enjoy Batman and Robin a lot more than Dark Knight Rises.

Rises is just so long and messy even if it has a few moments that shine, I just don't enjoy watching it all the way through. Batman and Robin is hilariously bad, but I can watch it and have a good time.

Wowbiggulps

Dec 4, 2018
Honestly, Rises with fixed sound-mixing would be great.

Anyways
1. Returns
2. 89
3. Forever
4. TDK

And I don't really care about the rest.