• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree with top 3. The rest ? Set it on fire.

TDK still GOAT, and I loved The Batman. Think Mask of Phantasm isn't all that great, way too high.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I haven't seen the new one yet but my biggest gripe is that Mask of the Phantasm should definitely be over Batman Begins. Return of the Joker and Under the Red Hood are also better than most of those movies but I guess direct-to-video doesn't count.

Everything else seems reasonable, even if I would personally rearrange some things to put Rises (and maybe LEGO?) higher.

Nov 7, 2019
I'd bring up Rises to #6, but otherwise the list looks solid. Definitely not oof territory.

That said, the disrespect for TDKR is crazy to me. Don't get me wrong, there are a couple goofy plot devices and acting... but overall, movie has ridiculously high production values, killer set pieces, massive scope, and a bumping soundtrack with a villain that somehow holds its own against the previous movie's generational performance Joker.

TDKR is a great film, full stop.

Yup, The Dark Knight Rises rules.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Heavy disagree, especially with animated movies.

1. Mask Of The Phantasm
2. Under The Red Hood
3. The Batman
4. Batman Returns
5. Batman
6. Lego Batman
7. The Dark Knight
8. Batman Begins
9. Batman: Bad Blood
10. Batman vs Dracula

edit: And if Beyond counted, Return Of The Joker would be in the #2 spot.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
*shrug* would put Mask of Phantasm as no.1 and move Returns up. Add Dark Knight Returns somewhere.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I would move 1989 to number 2, Forever a little lower, and maybe 1966 a little higher because it's fuckin hilarious, but it's not a bad list.

Also I'm not entirely sure why only one animated movie is on there. Did it get a theater release? I understand cutting the list down, but why is it just one?
Mask of the Phantasm was released in theaters, and they weren't counting anything that was DTV, which basically eliminates all of the other animated films.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen The Batman yet, but yeah, that's actually a pretty good list. I'd personally push the Snyder JL down to the bottom with the other one, but that's about my only big change that I wouldn't flip-flop on depending on the day

I would move 1989 to number 2, Forever a little lower, and maybe 1966 a little higher because it's fuckin hilarious, but it's not a bad list.

Also I'm not entirely sure why only one animated movie is on there. Did it get a theater release? I understand cutting the list down, but why is it just one?

Mask of the Phantasm was released in theaters, and they weren't counting anything that was DTV, which basically eliminates all of the other animated films.

According to Wikipedia, MotP is the only animated Batman movie to be released in theaters (at least for its original release; I'm sure some theater somewhere has done a viewing of other ones).

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I think that's a decent list. Glad to see Mask ranked that high. I tore that VHS up as a kid.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Say what you want about the rest, but Batman and Robin, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, and the Whedon Jusstice League definitely deserve to belong in the shit-tier section of the list.

I'd even throw Forever in there. Tbh I find it to be completely embarrassing to watch.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I agree.

The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Returns
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Batman
Zack Snyder's Justice League
The Batman
Batman Begins
LEGO Batman
Justice League
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin

But I love lists so I'm glad IGN made theirs :)

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Mask of the Phantasm should be number 1 and The Batman number 2.

If they were counting animated home releases, The Batman would be the only live action movie in the top 10.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020

According to Wikipedia, MotP is the only animated Batman movie to be released in theaters (at least for its original release; I'm sure some theater somewhere has done a viewing of other ones).
That's awesome, I wish I caught it when it was there.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Decent list but I'd put Rises at 7. Not 100% sold on The Batman yet either, need to give it another watch.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think there's a bit of a split for these lists on if we're ranking 'best films that have batman as the main character' or 'best films about batman'

Decent list tho, manages to walk that line pretty well.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Forever is over TDKR, but still too low on the list. And I'm not the biggest fan of BvS, but it wasn't worse than Batman and Robin.

Personally, I like Begins better than TDK.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Batman VS Superman is near the bottom below Batman and Robin, so it's right in that regard.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
Seems like a pretty reasonable list. I can see TDKR's placement being a point of contention, but it's not a terribly uncommon opinion to be down on that one. It's one of those movies that I was really enthusiastic about at the time but have only grown more sour on (although I don't think I'd put it below Batman Forever). Begins and TDK are still great, though.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Pop Phantasm into first and I dig it.

I really liked "The Batman" but it also made me like "Phantasm" even more, as the few things I didn't like felt like things "Phantasm" excelled at.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly agree with it. I could go either way on The Batman and BB, but otherwise that's solid.

Oct 25, 2017
This seems fine I wouldn't put TDKR so low and haven't seen the Justice League but the top is pretty close to mine after seeing the Batman

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Honestly, that's pretty solid.

Only changes I'd really make would be to put The Batman to number 1, and Batman V Superman to number 14. I'd have to strike off the Snyder cut until I've seen it also.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Great to see The Batman so highly revered after the very strange and/or bad movies that followed The Dark Knight.

Truly a triumph! The Dark Knight is still probably my favorite for nostalgia reasons, but The Batman was pretty damn good.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't seen the The Batman yet, but this seems like a solid list overall. Rises should probably pop up a few spaces, and I wouldn't hate Phantasm up at 3 or 2.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I watched Forever last night for the first time in decades and found it uneven, to put it generous. Goldenthal's score is terrific though.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm...surprised how good that list is!

Inclined to shuffle around the top 3 (The Batman != Batman Begins > The Dark Knight), I have a bigger soft spot for the Schumacher movies than most, and a part of me is thinking about switching Rises and the Snyder cut. Very solid list, either way.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I would put Phantasm and Lego Batman in the top 3 honestly. I feel like both really understood who Bruce Wayne is and supposed to be at his core in really interesting ways.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd bring up Rises to #6, but otherwise the list looks solid. Definitely not oof territory.

That said, the disrespect for TDKR is crazy to me. Don't get me wrong, there are a couple goofy plot devices and acting... but overall, movie has ridiculously high production values, killer set pieces, massive scope, and a bumping soundtrack with a villain that somehow holds its own against the previous movie's generational performance Joker.

TDKR is a great film, full stop.

That's all the movie has going for it in my opinion, it's big, loud and looks pretty, but if you think about it for 2 seconds and it immediately falls apart, Bane is a nothing of a villian in the end who gets taken out like he's nothing, the story doesn't make a lick of sense and it treats freeing people who were thrown in prison for the rest of their natural lives on false pretenses as a bad thing. It's the only Batman film that I actually hate. I was sour walking out of the theater the opening night and it's been worse every time I've seen it sense.