• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
They might have implemented that thing where you can play the game while it's downloading. I'm on 100Mbps so I can just play around with Astro while hoping their CDN performs well.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
People have been doing this for digital games for years. Nothing new.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
That's why they didn't revealed the UI, you can explore it by yourself while waiting.

Thank you Sony!

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I suppose to get around that consoles would have to come preloaded with a game

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
See, and that's one of the reasons i went for the disc drive console.

Like, games are 50-100gigs now, can't impulse buy that shit. Sometimes i head to the office with no intention of buying a certain game, not having anything pre-ordered or pre-loaded. Then i check ERA, read the reviews, and figure out that it's totally up my alley, and i just buy the physical version on the way home.

The most recent case of that happening was Ghost of Tsushima...

AJUK

May 28, 2019
To be fair disc games often have large downloads day 1 too, take modern warfare for example, there was like a 80 gb day 1 patch. I actually cancelled my physical order and went digital so I could pre load.

Its only 1 day that it will matter, going forward it's actually better to go digital if you like playing immediately as there are always pre-loads.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't want this, you could just buy the versions of the consoles that have disc drives.

This is a bizarre complaint. You're purposefully choosing an experience that relies on downloading games, then complaining that you have to download games.
No no I'm getting the disc version of the console but want digital games for convenience. If I could pay Sony to put the games on before getting the console I would

the7egend

Mar 6, 2018
Everything has a download these days, hook it up, start the download(s), and go to the gym and workout or spend family time before your descent into the darkness.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
How did you expect this to work?

This is exactly what I did 7 years ago when the current consoles launched with much slower Internet. Yes, you need to wait for digital games to download. Top tip though - you only need to do it once then you can play them as much as you like!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I lucked out with the PS4 launch and got my system a day early (was a gift since we were developing a PS4 game). Was able to get all the downloads done while Sony's servers were underused. I remember hearing that the servers were a disaster around launch and I'm guessing the same will be true with PS5 - perhaps even moreso thanks to the PS+ Game Collection.

LeMillion

Jun 9, 2020
That's the sad truth OP.

I was planning on buying a PS5 and getting a Series X on the All Access plan at launch. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't spend that $30/month on upping my internet to the 1Gig plan.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
It's too bad there won't be a way to preload a game via PS4 and then just transfer it to PS5

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
No no I'm getting the disc version of the console but want digital games for convenience. If I could pay Sony to put the games on before getting the console I would
Wouldnt the games need to be tied to a PSN account? I know there are pre-loaded games, but are they being tied to an account or are they tied to the console itself?

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
It won't matter if you go physical or digital. It won't matter if you have fibre.

On day 1 there will be a firmware update to download. If you buy digital, you'll have to download the entire game. If you buy physical, you'll have to download a big patch for the game.

The speed of your internet won't matter, because all of the fuckers (including yours truly) who just rushed out to pre-order the PS5 will be hammering the PSN servers at the same time. The PSN will go to shit. The downloads will take forever, if they work at all. It will be a shitshow.

People will angrily post at how shocked and amazed and furious they are that launch day is a shitshow. But anyone with half a brain already knows that it will be a shitshow.

It will be a shitshow.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I would love it if Microsoft can use XCloud to stream games as they download. LOOOOOOOOOOOVE

Was their confirmation of being able to download stuff onto an external to transfer? I really hope external USB 3 can be used as fast storage to move to the SSD, as I'm aware you can't play XS games off of it.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
It won't matter if you go physical or digital. It won't matter if you have fibre.

On day 1 there will be a firmware update to download. If you buy digital, you'll have to download the entire game. If you buy physical, you'll have to download a big patch for the game.

The speed of your internet won't matter, because all of the fuckers (including yours truly) who just rushed out to pre-order the PS5 will be hammering the PSN servers at the same time. The PSN will go to shit. The downloads will take forever, if they work at all. It will be a shitshow.

People will angrily post at how shocked and amazed and furious they are that launch day is a shitshow. But anyone with half a brain already knows that it will be a shitshow.

It will be a shitshow.

This is 100% true and pretty much the science of the situation!

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't new ovens come already filled with the food you want to eat? Seems like going to the store and buying ingredients is taking the piss.

lino

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
uh you want to preload a game onto a console that's still sealed in a box?

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
The 12th is going to be a mess of people idly shitposting while they wait for their consoles to update and download games isn't it

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
For my Series X, I'm going to just fill up my external 2TB SSD with a shitload of the most exciting X1 games, especially ones that will get BC enhancements, and try plugging it directly into the Series X. Hopefully that works.

A good trick might also be to download a handful of smaller titles to tide you over while the big games download. Grounded, Ori, Minecraft, Tell Me Why, and Sea of Thieves would be perfect for this.

Let's all also not forget that there's a good chance the Xbox and Playstation servers will crash on launch day, and we will all be fucked, especially if every game forces day 1 updates.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I would love it if Microsoft can use XCloud to stream games as they download. LOOOOOOOOOOOVE

Was their confirmation of being able to download stuff onto an external to transfer? I really hope external USB 3 can be used as fast storage to move to the SSD, as I'm aware you can't play XS games off of it.

Microsoft did mention something about allowing streaming while waiting for a download, but I'm not sure that this is a confirmed feature.

And you can definitely store on an external drive, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to pre-install.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be getting a PS5 day one and I'll be happy if I'm able to download Demons Souls within the first couple of days. The servers are going to be slammed. Keep expectations low.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Buy it physical.

You are going to do that either way. You have to install physical games, too and very likely you will have to download quite a few Day-1-Patches, too. Doesn't really matter if you buy digital or not.

Installing games already takes seconds on PS4 (atleast, installing a part that let's you play). It's going to be even faster with PS5. And patches aren't full games sizes.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
People buy a new console, especially new on the market and start playing a game right away? You don't mess around with the os and features for an hour at least?