• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

Would it be as clear cut simple and whatever as this scene states or would we do more with it?

I'd imagine it be cool for a while, but with a lot of things, new developments are less impressive 2-3 years later.

Also, if you haven't seen Looper, this was totally the best movie of 2012.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While I liked Looper, it's kind of weird in retrospect that ridiculous and nonsensical time travel rules are the second to last least believable thing about the movie.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Ah yes, the Shin Sekai Yori question. Let's just say things would be god awful for the 90% not telepathic.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly Looper is probably better than like 85-90% of time travel plots.
I agree in terms of broad concept, but a closer look at the laws in the movie and it's just completely ridiculous. The best example is that guy whose past ended up changing by being captured by the mob and having all his limbs dismembered, eyes gouged, etc.

Even though the dismembering happens in the past he started losing shit in real time bit by bit, allowing him to make it into town before he loses all of them. How did he make it into town on limbs he lost 20-something years ago?! It makes so little sense that I'm angry it was ever put to film lol

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
You can do so fucking much with telekensis even with just being able to lift a quarter.

Unlocking doors, fucking with technology, fucking with someones insides.
Even super limited TK is broken.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Even if just something as weak as lifting small items, there's loads of dramatic shifts it would create.

New tools would be invented. New types of weapons. New ways of communicating and interacting with the world around us.

The telekinetics would become a superior race that enslaves everyone else. Imagine trying to fight someone who can make a gun hover around a corner, carry more on them or swing a knife at you without having to actually hold it.

You could commit murder without leaving any physical evidence. Break locks at will. Steal from propels pockets. Commit all manner of heinous acts.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I would be a psychopathic in traffic. So you just gonna cut me off...

Fling your shit a quarter mile and see how bold you act.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I agree in terms of broad concept, but a closer look at the laws in the movie and it's just completely ridiculous. The best example is that guy whose past ended up changing by being captured by the mob and having all his limbs dismembered, eyes gouged, etc.

Even though the dismembering happens in the past he started losing shit in real time bit by bit, allowing him to make it into town before he loses all of them. How did he make it into town on limbs he lost 20-something years ago?! It makes so little sense that I'm angry it was ever put to film lol
Johnson wanted his scary body horror moment. I think it works until it doesn't. The surgery process was slow enough to where hypothetically he still would've been able to do everything he did.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are actually time travel stories that do deal with how the time travel similar to Looper's works but Looper never really gets into the nitty gritty of how it works. Mostly its used to give some cool scenes.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Even if just something as weak as lifting small items, there's loads of dramatic shifts it would create.

New tools would be invented. New types of weapons. New ways of communicating and interacting with the world around us.

The telekinetics would become a superior race that enslaves everyone else. Imagine trying to fight someone who can make a gun hover around a corner, carry more on them or swing a knife at you without having to actually hold it.

You could commit murder without leaving any physical evidence. Break locks at will. Steal from propels pockets. Commit all manner of heinous acts.
We still have laws and witnesses to crime.

They had no problem beating Paul Dano's ass.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
This is one of those movies where you feel like the main story happened in a different movie and you're viewing a side story spinoff. District Nine felt the same.

I love that, though. The BIG events aren't the main focus.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
We still have laws and witnesses to crime.

They had no problem beating Paul Dano's ass.

But if there's no witnesses or cameras then what evidence is there? I could (assuming I was a murderer) pick a random tool up from a room and stab you with it. No physical contact means no fingerprints or traces of fabric or skin.

Deleted member 48991

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I just realized that I've always been confusing Looper with Jumper - which made a lot of statements I've read seem very odd!

Future Gazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I can't remember shit about this movie. Is the TK stuff ever given a detailed explanation? Is it like the Force where the size of the object is irrelevant and it's all about overcoming that mental barrier? Cuz we'd be fucked.

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
But if there's no witnesses or cameras then what evidence is there? I could (assuming I was a murderer) pick a random tool up from a room and stab you with it. No physical contact means no fingerprints or traces of fabric or skin.

Weak. Focus.

Cause 🧠 aneurysms...
Stop vital organs....
Cut the brake line....
Push someone into traffic....
Choke them....
It goes on and on like....why even use a tool. Shot was just be a freak accident. 2 x 4 came out of nowhere.....

Didn't the kid in the movie pop/implode a dude till it was a fine mist...

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Just saying your victim stands more of a chance than you think and your getaway isn't as guaranteed as you believe.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Weak. Focus.

Cause 🧠 aneurysms...
Stop vital organs....
Cut the brake line....
Choke them....
It goes on and on like....why even use a tool. Shot was just be a freak accident. 2 x 4 came out of nowhere.....

Y'all are starting to sound like some psychopaths. Also, people are aware TK is a thing. If people know you have it, know you were there, more than likely you did the shit. Autopsy and shit.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, the TK stuff is dumb and shouldn't have been in the movie. The film is already crazy with time travel baked into society then it's casually like, "oh yea, also telekinesis exists."

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I was really really hyped for Looper before it came out and left the theater feeling like an asshole. What a garbage flick. Felt like it was trying to be three movies.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Johnson wanted his scary body horror moment. I think it works until it doesn't. The surgery process was slow enough to where hypothetically he still would've been able to do everything he did.
Except the past doesn't update the future in real time, it updates it in an instantaneous second to the point where its INSTANTLY A DIFFERENT FUTURE, not gradually a different future. The guy could have been dismembering the dude for 10 years and logically the effect would have been the same, he wouldn't have been able to step forward one inch in the first place.... logically.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
That who gives a shit scene when they're explaining time trvel are for the people in this thread. To OPs question, it's 10% but aren't the majority of them useless as shown by tne coin scene?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the most important things in the second half of the movie.

Also ...

Nah, because the point of TK is just an explanation about why the kid grows up to become this unstoppable monster. But, one doesn't need TK to grow up to become some super crime boss everyone fears. You take it out and the story works just the same.

Except the past doesn't update the future in real time, it updates it in an instantaneous second to the point where its INSTANTLY A DIFFERENT FUTURE, not gradually a different future. The guy could have been dismembering the dude for 10 years and logically the effect would have been the same, he wouldn't have been able to step forward one inch in the first place.... logically.

Yeah, but Looper's time travel makes clear you can change the future. So, that shit is fine. It operates on BTTF logic mostly.

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Weak. Focus.

Cause 🧠 aneurysms...
Stop vital organs....
Cut the brake line....
Choke them....

Assuming there's an identifiable genetic marker or government black ops are aware of it. Yeah patterns would start to come up.

Im just saying. If telekinesis was real the whole paradigm changes. The instant response to anything would be telekinetic.

I would create a 3 foot barrier around me that causes nausea to those who annoy me just to get through a work day.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming there's an identifiable genetic marker or government black ops are aware of it. Yeah patterns would start to come up.

Im just saying. If telekinesis was real the whole paradigm changes. The instant response to anything would be telekinetic.

I would create a 3 foot barrier around me that causes nausea to those who annoy me just to get through a work day.
I'd just float remotes to me when I'm in bed and make sex better. Maybe fly.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Weak. Focus.

Cause 🧠 aneurysms...
Stop vital organs....
Cut the brake line....
Choke them....

There's an episode of Misfits were a guy has the power to control dairy products. He starts moving milk and cheese through peoples bloodstreams to kill them by wrapping cheese around their brain and stuff.