• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Redowl

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
I do okay at Jeopardy and have dreams of getting on the show. I have taken the online test before and have done terribly enough not to make it to the next stage. This time I'm serious. I am studying Geography, History, Shakespeare, etc. I'm going through old jeopardy episodes and reading one of Ken Jenning's books. Has anyone here been on Jeopardy or taken the test and advanced?

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I'd get on the show and get a Musicals or Art category and look like an idiot.

Apr 24, 2018
A family friend's older son was on Jeopardy several years ago. He was actually in the lead heading into Final Jeopardy, but got that question wrong (while others didn't) and lost. Good luck to you! Alex Trebek is a treasure.

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The next round of contestant tests is at the end of this month, btw.

I'd recommend studying the J-Archive for the kind of clues that they ask on the show. Having all of the clues in front of you at once will help read the hints that point to the right question. The one time I passed the test (and lost the audition email in my spam folder) I was on there a couple of hours a day.

(And since this was posted on gaming side, the archive got a Polygon article yesterday.)

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
This is like asking an ant farm for help getting to work on time.

Thank being said, I sincerely hope you make it.

Flash cards. A lot of them. Every morning. Start with 12 and add a card a day. Good luck!

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
They'll never let you on if you keep writing it without the exclamation point.

OP
OP
Redowl

Redowl

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
Thanks to everyone for the tips and encouragement. I'll make a new thread if I make it called "So, I'm doing a screen test for Jeopardy!. Yikes!"

OP
OP
Redowl

Redowl

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
The next round of contestant tests is at the end of this month, btw.

I'd recommend studying the J-Archive for the kind of clues that they ask on the show. Having all of the clues in front of you at once will help read the hints that point to the right question. The one time I passed the test (and lost the audition email in my spam folder) I was on there a couple of hours a day.

(And since this was posted on gaming side, the archive got a Polygon article yesterday.)
yes, J-Archive is a treasure trove! Are you going for it too!?

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I do okay at Jeopardy and have dreams of getting on the show. I have taken the online test before and have done terribly enough not to make it to the next stage. This time I'm serious. I am studying Geography, History, Shakespeare, etc. I'm going through old jeopardy episodes and reading one of Ken Jenning's books. Has anyone here been on Jeopardy or taken the test and advanced?

www.sporcle.com

Go there, start playing everything. At least a few of their prominent members have actually made it on to Jeopardy and performed very well.

Even if you don't make it on the show, you'll be a smarter person who had a lot of fun. Site is awesome, great way to learn new things.

Oct 28, 2017

I've taken the online test twice, bombed the first one but got within 2 questions of someone else that got the call for the in person audition the last time I tried. Hoping to do even better on the next online test at the end of this month...I've honestly started studying harder recently cuz of Trebek's cancer, I don't think the show will be the same without him.

Podcasts have helped me the most personally. I like Trivial Warfare, Triviality, Trivia Rogues, Brain Ladle Trivia and I used to love Good Job Brain before they just suddenly stopped putting out episodes. Game Show trivia by Steven Ferrill is a good reference book. I also think that buying a notebook and just writing facts in it helps, you can see some examples if you search Instagram #trivianotebooking

Oh and you should definitely be playing local pub trivia.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think I've heard that the most important part of doing well on Jeopardy is getting your buzzer reaction time perfect.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Think I've heard that the most important part of doing well on Jeopardy is getting your buzzer reaction time perfect.
Once you're on the show, yes. It's an art form to time when Alex finishes versus the window to let you buzz in, and the additional window to put your brain together enough to make a statement.

Then you can go even more into game theory with how Holzhauer played to become such a winning player, but pissed off so many people because of his style. It was more aggressive and less fun to watch. But are you there to win or to make good tv?

But in terms of pure trivia, there's only so many wells they regularly pull from. Last night's tournament had the first final Jeopardy question of "Presidents and the Bible" so there's the need for knowing bible verses again.

And, keep in mind, Final Jeopardy works like the Daily Double. You are wagering between knowing the category, but BEFORE seeing the answer. There's a lot of strategy there, especially if you know your opponents play style and how aggressive they are and if they know how aggressive you are.