• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
There's people with signs and cheering and a bit of singing at times. Also, I think everyone is drunk.

ESPN 8 "The Ocho" lives on.

Yea, they just had a close up of fans holding a pitcher of beer cheering these dudes on.

I mean, these guys got good aim. They ain't robots or nothing, but I don't get the cheering and whatnot.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Sportsnet sometimes airs it here in Canada. I never knew there was such a draw for professional darts, or that it was really a thing until it came on while I was sleeping and I woke up to it.

Poeton

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I once worked at a liquor store that happened to be the closest liquor store to a hotel that was hosting a darts tournament. Lot of interesting characters coming into the store on that weekend.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I've discovered that the BBC channel we get at work shows O.G. Star Trek, Voyager, and Planet Earth II (and other such docs), so I've been watching a bit of it. Seen tons of commercials for the darts Premier League over the last few weeks and have been puzzled, but then again, I got hyped as hell for the Winter Olympics because I love curling, so I won't judge anyone who's excited about darts.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
you don't watch dart tournaments sober. aren't they held inside of bars for a reason?

playing sober is considered cheating.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
The brits make fun of our hand egg but in reality their sports spectrum outside of football gets sad quickly.

It's not long after that before you get to this

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
Fixed.

And I don't get what you're at by saying it's an "Ocho" show, darts is pretty popular over here. To the point where there was a game show with darts as the theme throughout the '80s and the first half of the '90s.

This.

Bullseye was such an iconic show that people still watch the re-runs on Challenge now (Quiz Channel).

Bitsmurch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's people with signs and cheering and a bit of singing at times. Also, I think everyone is drunk.

ESPN 8 "The Ocho" lives on.

Yea, they just had a close up of fans holding a pitcher of beer cheering these dudes on.

I mean, these guys got good aim. They ain't robots or nothing, but I don't get the cheering and whatnot.

Here in the UK our enjoyment of sport involves proper beer that isn't piss filled with gas and a bit more than clapping.

Bitsmurch

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The brits make fun of our hand egg but in reality their sports spectrum outside of football gets sad quickly.

It's not long after that before you get to this

Football and Rugby the big ones mostly. Darts is an excuse to get on the lash. If you're not sure what rugby is, it's like American football without all the padding and the balls thrown in a way that physical contact can't be avoided.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Don't hate on the Dartsmen. Sport of Kings.
Andy-Fordham.jpg

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Having been to a Premier League of Darts event a few years ago...

Yes everyone is pissed..... I was hammered too

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Indoor bowls is far more watchable than American football, for example. A bunch of oafs bashing heads with 100 timeouts and adverts, or a game of quiet skill and those little half walk/ half run trots people do after bowling the ball. It's tremendous.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Football and Rugby the big ones mostly. Darts is an excuse to get on the lash. If you're not sure what rugby is, it's like American football without all the padding and the balls thrown in a way that physical contact can't be avoided.

Don't forget Cricket.... also an excuse to get wasted... and it lasts most of the day... Test matches (5 days) are some intense drinking sessions

Oct 27, 2017

LOL American football is nothing like rugby and the contact is more frequent and violent in American football, hence the padding

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
You're essentially spending a night inside the world's largest pub.

They where selling beer stacked in plastic bottles (for safety of course).. they where stacked in carboard/plastic wrap with 24 bottles each... they where selling the bottles individually, me and 3 friends simply asked for 48 bottles and they just passed us 2 crates.

48 / 4 = 12 bottles each, 330ml * 8 = 3960ml (or 7 pints) of beer... that saw us through the vast majority of the darts, We did buy a couple of bottles more each late on, but things are hazy after that.

Seventh

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You've tasted peak civilization. Be thankful.

Play darts myself, in the pub league. Scored 180 the other Friday as well.

Still lost the match though.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Darts is an amazing sport to watch, you should tune in around December when the worldcup is up, fantastic atmosphere.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I remember there used to be lawn bowls on BBC2... does that still happen? Average spectator age: dead 6 weeks.

The average age of the audience is like 80. If a loud noise went off in the place there would be multiple fatalities.

Edit: Darts is great, some real tense matches played. Yes, the crowd seem to be made up of morons and one step away from a BNP Christmas party, but don't hold that against it.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
LOL American football is nothing like rugby and the contact is more frequent and violent in American football, hence the padding

There's a fair number of similarities ranging from big to superficial, but as far as impacts go in terms of body-to-body impacts rugby does tend to be more brutal generally speaking. It doesn't have the concussion problem as badly though because they don't have helmets - the lack of helmets means players don't lead with their heads and actively avoid head-first collisions, whereas if you're wearing a helmet you're more likely to just go for it, which ironically then raises rates of concussion and stuff.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK

Just waiting for an Aussie to pop up and just trump us with Aussie Rules...

As a Brit that loves Rugby (and think American Football is vastly overrated... sorry it is).. Aussie Rules is by far the toughest.. They hit really hard..

Oct 27, 2017

There's a fair number of similarities ranging from big to superficial, but as far as impacts go in terms of body-to-body impacts rugby does tend to be more brutal generally speaking. It doesn't have the concussion problem as badly though because they don't have helmets - the lack of helmets means players don't lead with their heads and actively avoid head-first collisions, whereas if you're wearing a helmet you're more likely to just go for it, which ironically then raises rates of concussion and stuff.

Just waiting for an Aussie to pop up and just trump us with Aussie Rules...

As a Brit that loves Rugby (and think American Football is vastly overrated... sorry it is).. Aussie Rules is by far the toughest.. They hit really hard..

Haha i've played both prefer American football, the collisions in it are more violent. We can all post videos of violent hits from different sports to prove our point. It's all subjective anyways

Oct 25, 2017
I remember one time ESPN showed it, commentator was yelling "one hundred and eighty!!" Over and over. It was amazing.

masud

Oct 31, 2017
Those rugby hits look pretty tame compared to American football. Don't get me wrong Rugby is a tough sport and probably more painful than American football due to the lack of pads but you literally can't play American football without pads. People would die.

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not premier league related, but MvG picked up his third PDC wolrd title today. A great tournament that deserved a better final. The occasion looked too big for the bully boy. Can't wait for the premiere league!