• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
People aren't excited about the gameplay; they are excited because of the high quality graphics/production values and the developer pedigree.

Nobody even really knows how the game really plays. Just wait until the game comes out and see if it interests you. Don't let yourself be suckered into a day-1 purchase that you're not sure about because of manufactured hype.

For all we know, it could be a generic open world 3rd person shooter with no interesting or novel game mechanics to call its own; selling purely off the back of amazing graphics/production values and a hamfisted story. No harm in waiting and seeing how it turns out before buying.
Bolded the two parts that are objectively wrong based on the available media and official page for the game. As a fan of Kojima's older games I am absolutely excited about the gameplay systems DS will have, too.

We may not know all the mechanics, but several have been shown and even more has been shown in the Japanese version of the latest trailer.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding is shaping up be an incredibly atmospheric, sandbox traversal-horror game with trippy sci-fi(and political) themes and one of the most insane death mechanics ever. If that doesn't interest you fair, but calling it "flat" is absolute non-sense.

I predict this will see a similar response in certain internet circles to RDR2 with it's deliberate pacing, sim systems, heavy ambient & environmental storytelling — people will call it slow, boring, a "walking sim", complain about not being able to fast travel everywhere, etc...etc...

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
"I don't know everything about this game 5 months before release but feel like I need to make my choice on if I want it now for some reason, and no, I won't even wait for reviews or even previews before stamping my foot because I work full time"

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I agree and I'm conflicted on what we saw. The tools for exploration seemed real fun, I really liked the tool system in BotW which this reminded me off. The parts of the world looked emptier then empty though and the way he dodged those attacks and the animations were stuff as all can be.

Definitely need to see more footage though.
Is empty bad? It seems to be channeling the kind of sensation you might associate with a game by the ICO developers.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EOwHqVO.gif
I really miss Metal Gear Online.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
OP, you know you don't need to decide your purchase right now, right?

You don't even need to decide before launch. You can just wait and ask what it's about after it releases and people get to play it.

You can also just not buy the game at all if you don't want to.

People are excited simply because what we've seen is intriguing. I'm excited because I would be down for a game with a weird story, atmosphere and tone where you're mostly just wandering a messed up landscape. It sounds like you're not, and instead of processing that healthily like most people would when a product doesn't interest them you're trying to either convince yourself you're wrong, or convince yourself everyone else is.

Everything we've seen about the game is pure marketing. The goal isn't to get you to understand the game, it's just to get you to buy it. Literally none of your worries would matter the minute the game releases. You'd fix your problem by simply buying it or not on day 2 after talking to the people who bought it day 1.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Being a game from one of the most renowned game designers ever isn't enough reason to be excited?

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Right. I hope we get a trailer soon that shows every weapon, every enemy type, every story element, every everything. Otherwise it is hard to decide If I should buy this game that releases in 5 month. I hate surprises, that's why I start reading books on the last pages and let people spoil movies to me.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
It's a Kojima game, so the narrative is important. Why do you want to know the answers to all those questions before even playing? Would you like to get a movie you're looking forward to spoiled for you?

Besides, it's not like you can't wait for reviews both from users and critics, watch a let's play for a little to figure out if it's for you, etc. or just wait for final thoughts from people that has completed it to know if all the exploration turns out to be worth it in the end. You seem to be overly preoccupied in all fronts, OP. It's ok if you don't buy it at launch.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The unknown is the appeal. Kojima is no longer shackled by 20 years of history, narrative and fan expectations.

By the way, being 28 years old and getting to tired to play game is common as you get older. I'm almost 37 and there are somedays I barely want to watch TV.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
It is a flat game. As far as I've heard VR is not something that was ever considered for the game, and it does seem far too graphically advanced for it to be viable for current day headsets.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Are you expecting all those points to be addressed in a trailer? It would be a tad spoilery to lay out everything that's going to happen in the game in the trailer.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I would feel no hype if this wasn't made by Kojima, because it does look a little bit "flat" (I would say empty) gameplay wise. But it's Hideo Kojima, the guy who never made an actual flat game so...

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
Just wait for impressions after the game is out if you don't like any surprises. Yes, people excited for the dev. That's a pretty normal reaction.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's okay not to be sold on the game yet, theres still so much we haven't seen. Just wait it out till more gets revealed.

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
Are you French? Because I know from your perspective that "flat = plate", meaning it doesn't seems interesting, right?

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I'm a walking encyclopedia of Fist of the North Star, and this is just gasping at straws.

I know. My comparison only works in the loosest sense from cherrypicking from different aspect of HNK, from the reboot movies, HNK Zero, etc etc and framing them to my advantage. And I chose HNK because it's seen as a simple enough post apocalypse story that no one ever consider the basic premise as confusing even though it introduces a ton of stuff in the story like Shura, etc later.

My point is that if you look at the structure of what this story's basic premise is supposed to be - it's not all that different from post-apocalytic genre fiction. Heroes journey, etc etc. Also, the introduction of sci-fi techno speak ( minovsky particles, newtype, etc etc ) are so common in stories that the idea of these stuff being hard to comprehend is weird to me.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Its a survival horror mystery adventure game, I get the empty part because of the terrain but I feel like everyone just expected or wants an Uncharted or Horizon Zero dawn type game with constant action. Remember Silent hill or the many other games that dont rely on that and were not criticized for it because it was a different genre. Why do you want this game to be somthing its not, maybe because Kojima is consistent with making unique games for decades so everyone is expecting something cool. If you arent convinced with what you have seen then its clearly not for you if you think the mystery of the game and marketing is a negative and thats oook.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
So we got the latest trailer for Death Stranding a few days ago. Yes, it's amazing and everything was perfect BUT.

There is one thing I keep seeing since the first trailer of the game back in 2016 ((or 15 correct me if I am wrong)). The game looks EMPTY for me.
don't get me wrong but I didn't understand anything which is not good, not good at all if I can see that! there must be many out there still wondering just like me what is this game about?
why Sam is going through this journey?
Saving or uniting USA cities again why what happened?
am I on earth or space?

look I had enough of buying games just because they are made by that person or that studio. I am 28 years old and I work a full-time job and for no reason I feel tired all the time and playing games became not a fun thing to do anymore maybe because of those do these million tasks or wait play 100 hours to finish the full story in order to see the same twist that you saw multi-able times before. Or explore this huge world which I really don't know why I am going to explore a world that I am not linked or have the reason to do so.

Look I understand people are excited about it. But why? don't tell me because it's from Kojima.
Don't mention the tech aspect I need something that my mind can process something that makes me say ((that seems a fun game and I understand why I am going to do this long journey))
This is exactly why I'm not hyped for this game at all.

I will definitely play it when the Remaster hits PS5 eventually, but it seems way too abstruse to deliver any real hype right now.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
So far this looks like Fedex Stranding, aside from cutscenes not that interesting.

I hope they'll share some bona fide gameplay trailer at E3.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I gotta tell you its Kojima.

Yes the game is mysterious and features all these hollywood actors but if it werent for him the hype would be less and we wouls probably all be here asking what is this game about.

Names sell and kojima is one of the top videogame developers out here.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So we got the latest trailer for Death Stranding a few days ago. Yes, it's amazing and everything was perfect BUT.

There is one thing I keep seeing since the first trailer of the game back in 2016 ((or 15 correct me if I am wrong)). The game looks EMPTY for me.
don't get me wrong but I didn't understand anything which is not good, not good at all if I can see that! there must be many out there still wondering just like me what is this game about?
why Sam is going through this journey?
Saving or uniting USA cities again why what happened?
am I on earth or space?

look I had enough of buying games just because they are made by that person or that studio. I am 28 years old and I work a full-time job and for no reason I feel tired all the time and playing games became not a fun thing to do anymore maybe because of those do these million tasks or wait play 100 hours to finish the full story in order to see the same twist that you saw multi-able times before. Or explore this huge world which I really don't know why I am going to explore a world that I am not linked or have the reason to do so.

Look I understand people are excited about it. But why? don't tell me because it's from Kojima.
Don't mention the tech aspect I need something that my mind can process something that makes me say ((that seems a fun game and I understand why I am going to do this long journey))

Some people like Kojima games. He has an eccentric way of designing games and telling stories which is unique in this industry and some people appreciate that. He is one of our industry's few auteur game designers.

With that said, why are you trying to force yourself to like or understand why people are interested in Death Stranding?

It seems to me that you don't appreciate his work which is fine, I'm lukewarm about it as well, but I don't go around asking fans of something I don't care a lot of about to justify their preferences to me.

It's alright to not like a game and I think it would be more productive to accept that than to make a thread to go up against people that like something.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't get people who say they don't understand what the game "is". The trailer showed gameplay, enough to piece together a decent picture of what sort of game it'll be.

It looks like an unconventional stealth game (hiding from suited dudes, hiding from the weird ghost things, focus on evasion and escape rather than fighting), with detailed terrain traversal and a relatively unique inventory/helper item set that interacts with the world in a detailed way (e.g. the ladder, the rappel). It appears that the main thrust of the gameplay is going to be getting from different locations A to B safely using those stealth and traversal mechanics. It looks like there'll be weapons and combat involved, but with less focus on them than an MGS game because of the type of character you're playing. There'll be cutscenes a-plenty with lots of Kojima weirdness. There'll probably be more to it than that with some twists in the gameplay setup, but otherwise... it's a bit mysterious, but not completely unknowable.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Starts thread.

"Change my mind"

"DON'T TELL ME THIS!!!... DON'T TELL ME THAT!!!"

Hey Mr. Tired 28 year old. Why do you feel so entitled?

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Lol. This seems more like a quarter/mid life crisis than anything to do with Death Stranding tbh. Wait for reviews and decide to buy the game if it sounds good OP.

Not ever hype cycle has to appeal to you.
This. Look, I have very little interest in this game right now aside from that ladder you can use to navigate (I love a good ladder) but the game is technically impressive and I think there is something to say for a game being developed by a dev with a great track record and the backing of one of the best publishers around. Game looks kind of awful to me but I'm going to wait for reviews and decide whether to give it a spin.

Talax

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they keep it all under wraps. If anyone's looking for more details before buying, reviews and playthroughs are for you.

Honestly I've lost count how many times my enjoyment factor has been diminished when I actually play a game since I've seen pretty much everything in trailers.

If at the end of the day it's still called "flat" by reviewers, you always have the option of saving money and not buying it.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I agree with the OP a fair bit, especially after MGS5. I think I would rather stay healthily skeptical. I still think the game COULD be amazing.

Its just I believed MGS5 would be one of the games of all time from the trailers in the lead up, but it ended up feeling empty and hollow after 10 hours.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I gotta tell you its Kojima.

Yes the game is mysterious and features all these hollywood actors but if it werent for him the hype would be less and we wouls probably all be here asking what is this game about.

Names sell and kojima is one of the top videogame developers out here.
A game with Norman Reedus as protagonist and Mads Mikkelsen as main antagonist would not be talked about without Kojima?

jenniferlawrenceOK.gif

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This, and as far as the gameplay is concerned I'm excited that to see something that appears so radically different in a AAA release. An action game with a narrative where killing and dying are no longer part of the gameplay loop has me intrigued as hell.

sBPgdRM.jpg

Tbh this sounds pretty horrible to me as someone who's not really into open world games (especially the empty kind) and/or survival stuff.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I know. My comparison only works in the loosest sense from cherrypicking from different aspect of HNK, from the reboot movies, HNK Zero, etc etc and framing them to my advantage. And I chose HNK because it's seen as a simple enough post apocalypse story that no one ever consider the basic premise as confusing even though it introduces a ton of stuff in the story like Shura, etc later.

My point is that if you look at the structure of what this story's basic premise is supposed to be - it's not all that different from post-apocalytic genre fiction. Heroes journey, etc etc. Also, the introduction of sci-fi techno speak ( minovsky particles, newtype, etc etc ) are so common in stories that the idea of these stuff being hard to comprehend is weird to me.

Don't get me wrong, i'm glad to see any single mention of HNK anywhere.
But i get what you were trying with the comparison.
Cheers.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So just wait til those questions are answered? You don't have to give them your money yet and they don't have to tell you every single detail about the game yet.