• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
The level of excitement is mostly a consequence of it having been announced when the gaming community was pretty near peak "aww, poor Kojima" mode. If he had announced the same thing just before the Konami business, when all he had to offer was his actual record with MG, we probably wouldn't be talking about it right now.
What? Him breaking ties with Konami was more like a blessing in disguise. Him not being able to collect his rewards for MGS was a bummer, sure, but we all knew this woulnd't be the last we'd hear of him. Plus it seems like Death Stranding was something he was sitting on for ages. After the split he finally could do what he wanted instead of milking the MGS franchise, which konami tried but horribly failed with MG Survive.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
So we got the latest trailer for Death Stranding a few days ago. Yes, it's amazing and everything was perfect BUT.

There is one thing I keep seeing since the first trailer of the game back in 2016 ((or 15 correct me if I am wrong)). The game looks EMPTY for me.
don't get me wrong but I didn't understand anything which is not good, not good at all if I can see that! there must be many out there still wondering just like me what is this game about?
why Sam is going through this journey?
Saving or uniting USA cities again why what happened?
am I on earth or space?

look I had enough of buying games just because they are made by that person or that studio. I am 28 years old and I work a full-time job and for no reason I feel tired all the time and playing games became not a fun thing to do anymore maybe because of those do these million tasks or wait play 100 hours to finish the full story in order to see the same twist that you saw multi-able times before. Or explore this huge world which I really don't know why I am going to explore a world that I am not linked or have the reason to do so.

Look I understand people are excited about it. But why? don't tell me because it's from Kojima.
Don't mention the tech aspect I need something that my mind can process something that makes me say ((that seems a fun game and I understand why I am going to do this long journey))
It looks bat shit crazy, refreshing, and made my someone who doesn't disappoint.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
But the game looks gorgeous hence for that reason its less empty than what I think of breath of the wild. Don't at me

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Life is a fucking bummer OP, and not everything is for you. If it doesn't end up being your jam, that's simply how it be. There's plenty of media out there you might find more immediately engaging, from Beat Saber to narrative podcasts. If Death Stranding doesn't seem appealing to you, that's more of a you issue. And that's fine! I too feel tired and shitty and like I'd really like to not exist, but that doesn't have anything to do with games.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
D8Hjf3rUEAEI3ES.png

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
If the rope and climbing actually makes it into final game, this might be the next Zelda BotW for HD and more realistic games. Gameplay wise, I have very high expectations and from what we've seen so far, it looks great.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
Have you played any of the Metal Gear Solid games?

If you have, surely you already know that Kojima puts a massive amount of emphasis on implementing tight, engrossing and rewarding gameplay.

Like, honestly, do any of us seriously think that Kojima and his team would put all this effort into making a game where you just walk around open plains?

That is ridiculous. Why are we even entertaining the idea that Death Stranding isn't going to have engrossing gameplay at the bare minimum?

Oct 27, 2017
Emptiness isn't bad per se. It depends how Kojima fills the gaps with gameplay. I can't stand too lively gameworlds that break the immersion.
Even Witcher 3 was guilty of this: you had those water monsters (Drowners?) doing their thing 200m away from a settlement with no one really bothering.
In real life one single wolf would have caused chaos coming so close...
The whole place is full of wild-life and mysterious creatures, but that huge army in the South-East stays in the camp.
So if you choose a post-apocalyptic scenario the feeling of emptiness is absoltue what you want to achieve. Now Kojima has to show us why it is fun to do stuff in such a scenario.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
It's probably going to play like metal gear solid. For this game it's about the story not the gameplay. If you're interested in sci-fi mind fucks then this is the game for you.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
All these replies and nobody has posted the old man yells at clouds Simpsons picture. You're slipping.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So we got the latest trailer for Death Stranding a few days ago. Yes, it's amazing and everything was perfect BUT.

There is one thing I keep seeing since the first trailer of the game back in 2016 ((or 15 correct me if I am wrong)). The game looks EMPTY for me.
don't get me wrong but I didn't understand anything which is not good, not good at all if I can see that! there must be many out there still wondering just like me what is this game about?
why Sam is going through this journey?
Saving or uniting USA cities again why what happened?
am I on earth or space?

look I had enough of buying games just because they are made by that person or that studio. I am 28 years old and I work a full-time job and for no reason I feel tired all the time and playing games became not a fun thing to do anymore maybe because of those do these million tasks or wait play 100 hours to finish the full story in order to see the same twist that you saw multi-able times before. Or explore this huge world which I really don't know why I am going to explore a world that I am not linked or have the reason to do so.

Look I understand people are excited about it. But why? don't tell me because it's from Kojima.
Don't mention the tech aspect I need something that my mind can process something that makes me say ((that seems a fun game and I understand why I am going to do this long journey))
I'm interested simply because we know so little. I'm kinda tired of games being so explicitly spelled out prior to release. I know exactly what most releases will offer before even playing them. It's great that this is an unknown.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably going to play like metal gear solid. For this game it's about the story not the gameplay. If you're interested in sci-fi mind fucks then this is the game for you.

No, the gameplay will be king, you're going to have to strategise and carefully consider tons of options that require precise control.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This is why we can't have nice things. Death Stranding is trying to do something more unique with its gameplay systems and the story looks pretty layered and mysterious, personally that's exciting.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It's just Kojima continuing to work out his frustration at not being a movie director. It's all the same ham-fisted half-baked nonsense he's been churning out since...well, 1998 at least. The American guy who delivers things and makes connections between places is named "Sam Porter Bridges." If anyone else did that they'd be mocked into oblivion, that's some Dan Brown level character naming right there.

No, the gameplay will be king, you're going to have to strategise and carefully consider tons of options that require precise control.

Haha, yeah, okay. I don't know where you get that from watching any of the released media so far. The gameplay of Kojima games leans hard on his support team. He is not very hands-on about gameplay design beyond a very very high concept level, although he's gotten better since the old days when he'd just tell the gameplay team to just figure out ways to connect his cutscenes together.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
It's just Kojima continuing to work out his frustration at not being a movie director. It's all the same ham-fisted half-baked nonsense he's been churning out since...well, 1998 at least. The American guy who delivers things and makes connections between places is named "Sam Porter Bridges." If anyone else did that they'd be mocked into oblivion, that's some Dan Brown level character naming right there.

Haha, yeah, okay. I don't know where you get that from watching any of the released media so far. The gameplay of Kojima games leans hard on his support team. He is not very hands-on about gameplay design beyond a very very high concept level, although he's gotten better since the old days when he'd just tell the gameplay team to just figure out ways to connect his cutscenes together.
I assume you won't substantiate these claims?

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I'm interested simply because we know so little. I'm kinda tired of games being so explicitly spelled out prior to release. I know exactly what most releases will offer before even playing them. It's great that this is an unknown.
This, and as far as the gameplay is concerned I'm excited to see something that appears so radically different in a AAA release. An action game with a narrative where killing and dying are no longer part of the gameplay loop has me intrigued as hell.

sBPgdRM.jpg

Last edited:

Juj

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
jesus you're a dry one. you're like the "but what do you do" crowd when no mans sky was releasing.

it's provocative when there seems to be an lazy unimaginative attitude towards new experimenting games, especially when we get so much of the same shit each and every year.

try to keep your mind open and see what it's about, enjoy the process of it all being revealed in this strange way

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Not enough gameplay footage to judge.
I agree and I'm conflicted on what we saw. The tools for exploration seemed real fun, I really liked the tool system in BotW which this reminded me off. The parts of the world looked emptier then empty though and the way he dodged those attacks and the animations were stuff as all can be.

Definitely need to see more footage though.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Being a little apprehensive isn't that abnormal. They're trying to do bold and new things, and the marketing is leaning into the mystery. Trying to figure out what Death Stranding is has a decent shot of being way off base at the moment. At face value I see a Monster Hunter egg delivery quest at the moment, where you have to potentially shoot up a WW2-themed corridor when you fail a stealth section, and you get a bunch of high fidelity cutscenes to stitch it all together. I don't know if that's accurate, and I certainly have no clue if the execution is engaging. Whatever it ends up being, we'll know enough by the time it releases. Reviews and impressions will be there for anyone not ready to take the plunge yet.

Oct 29, 2017
People aren't excited about the gameplay; they are excited because of the high quality graphics/production values and the developer pedigree.

Nobody even really knows how the game really plays. Just wait until the game comes out and see if it interests you. Don't let yourself be suckered into a day-1 purchase that you're not sure about because of manufactured hype.

For all we know, it could be a generic open world 3rd person shooter with no interesting or novel game mechanics to call its own; selling purely off the back of amazing graphics/production values and a hamfisted story. No harm in waiting and seeing how it turns out before buying.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Just wait few days/ weeks after release and continue to read impressions and reviews. Not so diffucult.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Here's a novel idea then if you are unsure. Just wait until reviews come out and you will find out before you buy

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
lol you do you, you can always wait for the reviews to drop you know?

I'm glad they don't spoil the whole story and gameplay and shit, and left me confused with the trailers that they've released. I can't wait to go into and play this blind and have every confusion cleared up (or not lol). I trust Kojima.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Nothing about it impresses me. It's definately flat och uninspiring. Could be interesting just because it's so weird, though.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

The first paragraph I quoted is exactly why I'm excited for Death Stranding. Open world games are in a rut, giving you a bunch of tasks in giant maps with so much shit in it you don't know what to do and it's getting boring. DS looks different. It's an open world you have to travel through carefully and it reacts when you die by leaving massive craters. The vast empty space is also super refreshing.

As for the story, does it really look like the kind of story that's going to have the same twists you've seen a million times before? And of course we don't know why we are going to explore the world. Doesn't that apply to all games until you start playing it?

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I loved the parts we saw a while ago, with the characters hiding from that huge ass entity and the one guy stabbing himself to death while being pulled up in the air. That was atmospheric and terrifying and made the game seem tense. Granted, that wasn't very much to go on in terms of gameplay, but the mood was amazing. This latest footage isn't something that I find interesting at all, though. Feels like a lot of the weirdness and darkness that I presumed the game would have has been lessened by quite a bit.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
How about this fan theory?

DFEA9512-A075-4-CB5-84-DF-F0-EBAE8-DF236.jpg

He explained why PT is linked to Metal Gear in the replies which is probably a bit of a stretch but I like the idea of Death Stranding being linked to PT again though that's also a bit of a stretch since it's more likely an Easter egg, Del Toro retweeted it anyway.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I get what you mean, but it definitely seems intentional. This world is meant to feel vast and capacious, as the crux of the gameplay is negotiating hazardous environments and obstacles. It's possibly going for the same flow that BotW had - huge open spaces, requiring you to find a vantage point, with the view revealing points on interest and features that will pique curiosity.

Oct 27, 2017
DeliriousSaneIbex-small.gif

Haters gonna hate, the thread.

Everyone not agreeing that the game is "awesome! amazing! masterpiece! OMG Kojima!" is an hater. Good to know. I find it exactly as OP described it, but i still can be excited by games so the problem doesn't come from me being jaded about videogames.

Those are impressions, not definitive judgements about the game.

tastybread

Oct 27, 2017
lol you do you, you can always wait for the reviews to drop you know?

I'm glad they don't spoil the whole story and gameplay and shit, and left me confused with the trailers that they've released. I can't wait to go into and play this blind and have every confusion cleared up (or not lol). I trust Kojima.
Adding to this and what so many others have said - A few years ago I stopped watching film trailers and started going to the cinema blind (not literally :p) my cinema going experience has increased so much since then. Mystery is good, and if you can only buy a few games a year, then just wait for reviews and impressions. Also at 28 you should be full of energy! :p

*I went to see 'It Comes At Night' with the gf - it would've been better if I had some vague idea what that film was going to be about as she was not best pleased. Especially as a dog fan D:

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
You mean Kojima's latest and greatest isn't automatically GOAT and a genre defining masterpiece that shoud HYPE you up based on trailers?

How dare you sir.