• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
And its awesome and I really enjoy the process of painting my nails and looking at my dead looking nails because I only use black but as a guy its a whole journey psychologically to decide one day you are going to paint your nails and go out in public. In my case I kinda have a skinny / babyface / metalcore / tattoo-nerd-guy look going on and it just made sense to me, also some of my guy friends paint their nails from time to time and they look good so that gave me confidence. But I think we all have some insecurities about how we present ourselves so thats normal I guess

But I really want this to be less of a taboo for guys in general and its been months since I first started doing it but needless to say I have gotten a range of reactions from family, friends and randos. The thing that stands out the most is my Dad telling me that he doesn't like that im doing that, followed by me comparing myself to Marilyn Manson and other cool guys that I know my Dad likes.

I've learned to not care if people think im gay (I think its funny) but I know this is a weird insecurity many guys have and not just from painted nails. Ive heard some close friends remarks about how they dont like people assuming they are gay but I dont really have a response to that since I dont feel that way so it ends there. I personally just have insecurities about how people perceive me in general, "am I a freakazoid to them?"

All I can say is that more dudes need to paint their nails because whatever its cool. Look im doing it and there is barely any dudes that paint their nails in this country, its not like im in California or something

Also wanted to hear if anyone has had a similar experience or has a thought on guys painting their nails

Also here are my nails and tats so you get a taste. I kinda got it in my head from tokyo ghoul when that was first coming out since the dudes nails look cool in that show even if the show is whatever
EfRzE8MU8AM5XgW

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Weirdly fun to not "go over the line" (and fail horribly with my non-dominant hand).
I love nail polish, it makes me feel fun and fancy, and I also love experimenting with colours. ✨

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
you're the man now dog

i am glad you are enjoying this form of creative expression, keep it up lad

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I let my partner paint my toenails like a year ago and I kinda love it. Every few months we have a Sunday where we wear face masks and she paints my toes and we watch a trashy movie with takeout. It's good for the soul.

The first few days I was vaguely self conscious around my housemates/the postman but I quickly got over it lmao.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Enjoy man, I couldn't deal with the maintenance and am in a very conservative profession where it would hurt my career but live and let live dude

Sep 14, 2019
I don't think I have the patience and precision to do that.

Same with make-up. I don't know how people can do that. Especially with eyeliner. Just the idea of putting on eyeliner makes me anxious 😱

Anyway, nails look nice!

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
One of my favorite things pre-pandemic was getting a pedicure. Getting the nail techs to paint my fucking nails was always like pulling teeth.

I have been painting my fingernails on and off for about 15 years. I would always get weird looks and stuff but I didn't give much of a fuck.

zoboomafoo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find painted nails to be super fun, no matter the gender.

It's great to see you explored outside your comfort zone and discoved something you enjoy!

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
There's absolutely no reason for nail polish to be just for women.

I've got respect for anyone who keeps up the maintenance.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I dislike painted nails no matter who wears them, finding it tacky. Much like tattoos.

I do however appreciate the time and skill that goes behind making it happen, again much like tattoos. So more power to you if it's what you're into. Don't see why nail polish should be exclusive to women.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
That is interesting actually. I doubt I would ever feel the urge to do it myself but I am intrigued by the whole thing.

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen other dudes with it and I like the way it looks. I'd try it out myself if I could do it without immediately getting a bunch of questions.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
They look cool with your tats!

As a (mostly) straight dude, I'm on a quest to smell more of what I like to smell (sweet, uplifting), so my journey across the masculine picket line is more about the nostrils instead of the eyeballs.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I chew my nails down so i couldn't do this.

Painting them helped me to stop that habit! It made the nails just feel different enough that it'd interrupt my absent minded chewing and make me think "oh yeah don't do that." My nails are the best they've been in years!

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Good for you OP! Nail polish can be great fun and I imagine more men would enjoy it if they broke down the wall to trying.

I chew my nails down so i couldn't do this.
Speaking from past experience if it's a habit you're ever keen to break wearing nail polish for a couple of weeks will do wonders. You really do not want to as soon as you go to, and because it lasts awhile that keeps up. Then when you eventually take it off you'll have the best nails you've probably had in a long time.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
They look cool with your tats!

As a (mostly) straight dude, I'm on a quest to smell more of what I like to smell (sweet, uplifting), so my journey across the masculine picket line is more about the nostrils instead of the eyeballs.
Fragrances, clothes, and make up aren't inherently gendered. The way we treat gender is a prison. I'm genderqueer, and very much pass as a cis guy. A lot of this stuff is out of my control largely (bald, stocky, look significantly better with facial hair) but being able to use the polish, or less traditionally masculine scents (Versace Eros is my cologne of choice btw!) or more "femme" cut clothing is a way to feel a lot more comfortable and break the damn mold as best I can.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm anti-nail polish for everyone just because I think nobody knows how to pick colors that work with them(although I think black nail polish looks good on everyone) and because it's unsanitary. You're trapping so much bacteria underneath that paint and it's even worse with acrylic nails. It just becomes a breeding ground for bacteria and routes for infections. That's why my nursing school banned nail polish on anyone.

But it shouldn't be a gendered thing. Do what makes you happy.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Wish I had that kind of minddset when I was in my 20's. I would be hyped to get some yellow or black nails but I'm now an old fool and my overall style is not really suited for that.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm anti-nail polish for everyone just because I think nobody knows how to pick colors that work with them(although I think black nail polish looks good on everyone) and because it's unsanitary. You're trapping so much bacteria underneath that paint and it's even worse with acrylic nails. It just becomes a breeding ground for bacteria and routes for infections. That's why my nursing school banned nail polish on anyone.

But it shouldn't be a gendered thing. Do what makes you happy.
It can if the nail isn't sanitized and prepped properly. If there are issues, ya need a new nail tech! And no filling over lifting - that's what causes freebies/trapped gunk.

TangoTango

Oct 30, 2017
I've had my nails done with designs on them and I really like it. But it's too expensive to get them done all the time. I'll only do it when I'm going on a trip, especially when I go to Vegas and I'll give Vegas related stuff done on them.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
I think it's wonderful & there's nothing "girly" or "gay" about it as many people love to say. Actually know quite a few men who paint their nails & I think there's some in the games industry too? Brian David Gilbert comes to mind immediately. Your nails look great, don't let others discourage you.

I so miss my colorful gel nails. ☹

Me too, have been gel-less for a good 5 months now due to COVID & while I do like giving my nails a break I miss them a whole lot as it just always made me look a little more put together. :(

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I bite my nails too much for it, but I always liked the look, and everyone can rock it!

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I haven't done it in quite a while, but I used to paint my nails sometimes as a younger man. It's a cool way to accessorise, given that men's fashion doesn't incorporate much opportunity for that - except watches, which I don't like wearing.

My son likes having his nails painted sometimes, when my daughter's having hers done. I don't have a problem with it - obviously - but his grandad thinks it's "weird".

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't paint my own nails (I go to salons), but yeah, more guys should do it.

Interestingly (or obviously enough), many women immediately take an interest in nails. Evidently it's a sign of confidence.

I do it for myself ofc

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I painted my nails for a while! Love the look. Just have trouble keeping up with things like that so it's only occasional anymore. Would rock almost-black purple polish, sometimes with an iridescent second coat.

My friends all love it, and I made the mistake of not taking it off when I visited the family a few years ago....... my mother thought the world was collapsing around her.

I bite my nails too much for it, but I always liked the look, and everyone can rock it!
Part of the reason I started painting my nails was so I wouldn't bite them lol. Honestly now that I think about it I don't think I bite my nails anymore!

EDIT: I see nail biting has been covered pretty extensively here 😂

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Same with make-up. I don't know how people can do that. Especially with eyeliner. Just the idea of putting on eyeliner makes me anxious 😱
Yo so I am non-binary and all into androgyny and would use the gigs my bands played as an excuse to go all out without getting questions. My lady friends were all about it and would give me skirts, do my hair, makeup, etc.

Seriously. Respect to anyone who does their eyes every day. I remember my friend saying "oh you get used to it" the one time I did eyeliner and I want to believe her. I want to believe SO BAD that you get used to it. But god damn was it uncomfortable.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck those gender stereotypes. Still I'm so attached to them when talking about dressing myself. I hope my son get this better than I do.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I painted my nails years ago. I hated it. It kinda felt like my nails were suffocating.