• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Also, Andrew Garfield is EASILY the best actor to have ever played the role.

Too bad they wrote his peter scenes like ass

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
Probably already been said but Into the Spiderverse is the best spiderman movie, no contest!

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It has Spider-man stalk his ex-girlfriend and then be rewarded for it

it sucks, actually
Pretty much. They have good chemistry in the second one but the writing sees to it that they make sure it's of no use in the movie. Same with the action and visuals.all great but the writing makes it so none of it matters because electro is a shitty ass character with stupid ass motives.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Peter and MJ are the worst parts about the raimi trilogy. They're good friends, but there's so much fucking cheating in those movies.

Where would anyone get the idea that Spider-Man was a melodramatic soap opera where the characters make out with each other all the time?

82054267_10100402682567867_270050797494992896_n.jpg

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
I have no emotional attachment to the Raimi movies, only the nostalgic kind. I decided to rewatch 1 and 2 the other day and damn, they're still fine ass movies.

As for ASM 1&2, I like the first one... Okay enough, just thought it suffered from the worst crime a superhero movie can be guilty of, being boring. The second one I thought was better in not being boring, but sometimes it was just from how outrageous it was, that it was hard to look away. I do agree that the highs are high though. Gwen Stacey death scene shook me for a long time, I was not expecting them to be that bold about it, mostly because it was undeserved. The execution was great though, so that was it's saving grace. Also, I can't even really talk about the action scenes because anytime I think of them I instantly think of the horrible costume designs for the villains. Would I have seen a third ASM movie in theaters? Yes, duh, it's spiderman.

Last edited:

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I agree with you OP its really a fantastic Spiderman Movie especially the action choreography which is the best for live action Spiderman movie. Never got bored watched it. Me and my wife always watched it everytime it show on TV lol.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished rewatching the raimi flicks and now am on asm1. This isn't a rehash at all. They're nothing alike.

You must be watching a different movie, It's the same origin story, with worse tweaks and character beats than Raimi's first film. The funniest scene in the movie is when Uncle Ben is trying to give the whole "with great power comes great responsibly" line, but they wanna try and change it up and it ends up being hilariously awkward.

All the "untold story" bullshit about Peter's parents that Sony marketed the film with back then was a lie, they ended up cutting most of that in the editing room.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
You must be watching a different movie, It's the same origin story, with worse tweaks and character beats than Raimi's first film. The funniest scene in the movie is when Uncle Ben is trying to give the whole "with great power comes great responsibly" line, but they wanna try and change it up and it ends up being hilariously awkward.

All the "untold story" bullshit about Peter's parents that Sony marketed the film with back then was a lie, they ended up cutting most of that in the editing room.

It's not though. Tobey and Garfield have different origins. We never seen tobeys parents, his reasoning for going out and doing Spidey things before Ben's death is completely different, his relationship with MJ is completely different too. Osborne and Connors have different relationships to their Peter's as well.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I didn't care for it at all and have only seen the Amazing movies once each. I think I'm gonna go back to them before No Way Home just cause

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not though. Tobey and Garfield have different origins. We never seen tobeys parents, his reasoning for going out and doing Spidey things before Ben's death is completely different, his relationship with MJ is completely different too. Osborne and Connors have different relationships to their Peter's as well.

The romantic relationship is different, yes. That's about it.

All those other "differences" you're talking about are pointless tweaks to appear different, they shouldn't have been in the movie at all. There's a reason why the parents subplot was heavily cut down in TASM1. It ultimately doesn't matter.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I haven't seen it yet, but the first Amazing Spider-Man is honestly better than the MCU ones. It juggles it all really well and I like how the bring in the weird Parker Parents storyline from the comics. Sure its weird and convoluted, but they tried damn it.

I'll be watching the second one in a few days, so I might agree with you.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The real shame of it was when Norman was sitting in bed dying of his disease, he didn't look at Harry and go "this disease...it's goblin' me up!"

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I have not seen the Amazing Spiderman films, only seen the Raimi and MCU films, which have a lot of their own flaws and I really don't like the MCU Spiderman films so I'll check these two out to see what I'm missing. That stuff about Gwen and Garfield being the best Peter has me intrigued. Thanks excelsiorlef !

SamualDude

Oct 28, 2017
I rewatched this movie the other day and it is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. It has flaws, but I enjoy it. The scene where Peter tries to talk Electro down is really good and a side of Spider-Man we don't see often in film or TV.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give you that Emma Stone was good as Gwen, but the rest of the movie was mud water. Haven't seen it since the Thursday night premiere, where both my friend and I walked out awestruck at what a mess it was.
Incidentally easily my fav of the RZ Halloweens, and a movie that I think is underrated
I mean, they're both bad movies, might as well go with the complete wild one where Deborah Meyers is walking around with a horse.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
ASM2 still has the best suit + best swinging. Only thing I honestly liked with the movie aside from maybe Garfield's and Emma's chemistry.

4f9c921ee2804348b62d9c9048653052.gif

AgilePositiveCaiman-size_restricted.gif

6ff13f41eb300cb660786e04a832b2541b41b3e7r1-444-250_hq.gif

7tcl.gif

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man himself is fine, is the rest of the movie what's shit.

Tekniqs

Oct 26, 2017
Watching all the spidey movies again before no way home comes out. Just watched asm1 with the wife and I did not remember it being that bad lol. I remember asm2 being better than 1 when I first saw them so there's hope.

Will say though, Garfield as spidey is pretty good.

pavaloo

Oct 25, 2017
yikes

even the "redeeming" elements (the barrel scraping few that there are) of the asm films are uninspired and superficial at best. eugh

Last edited:

Frakked

Jun 5, 2018
I have a love hate relationship with this movie unlike any other movie. It does some things better than any other Spider-Man movie.

Garfield is the best live action Spider-Man to date for me, and this movie absolutely nails it so damn hard. I love everything; saving the kid and walking him home, telling him his science project is amazing. Trying to talk down and help Electro, before blasting him with water while wearing the fireman's helmet and high-fiving the guys. And obviously, that ending and the pay-off with the kid, which I hold in such high praise that even Giamatti hamming it up can't spoil. It's pure, jaw-dropping Spider-Man.

Emma Stone, also incredible. Actual agency, smarts, charisma. That scene where her and Peter start banning each other from doing little cute things? SO GOOD. Or the scene where they're hiding in the closet? Their chemistry is frankly illegal. The third act has actual tension because you feel the weight of her involvement and Peter's fears that he can't keep her safe. I think the confrontations with Electro and Harry are actually great, just marred by the villains themselves.

It's just a shame that almost everything else is awful. None of the villains work, and a lot of creative decisions around them feels jarring and questionable. The stalking is creepy and could have been avoided. The sharing blood plot makes sense on paper, but it reads as a big yikes.
And the less said about the parent plot, the better, though it at least gives Sally Field an opportunity to kill it in the scene where she defends being the one to raise Peter, not them. Though opening this movie with a fist fight on a crashing plane is mind-boggling and unforgiveable.

Chosen Onez

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2021
Gwens death shocked the hell out of me. I had expected something that brutal in a comic book movie but there it was.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I watched them again recently and it's probably my 3rd favourite Spiderman film behind Rami 2 and Far From Home. Shame about the villain designs though.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
It is a movie of amazing highs, and amazing lows.

When it works, it works really well. When it's not working though, it's pretty rough.

But uh, having had my own retrospective of the Spider-Man movies from Tobey through Holland, I agree. TASM2 is the one that gets it the most right where it counts. Legit the best suit by far in all of the movies too, the only thing I would like is the expressive eyes from the Holland movies.

The way they adapted Gwen Stacey's death was honestly done perfectly.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It is a movie of amazing highs, and amazing lows.

When it works, it works really well. When it's not working though, it's pretty rough.

But uh, having had my own retrospective of the Spider-Man movies from Tobey through Holland, I agree. TASM2 is the one that gets it the most right where it counts. Legit the best suit by far in all of the movies too, the only thing I would like is the expressive eyes from the Holland movies.

The way they adapted Gwen Stacey's death was honestly done perfectly.

I think what honestly helps it is... most of the really bad stuff is sequel bait side stuff

Like look I love ASM 2 and I think Garfield not getting a serious run is criminal but all the bad that was mostly b plot here was about to go A plot... and no Emma Stone.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Folks it's easily the best comic book version of the character

It's visually incredible
Best Spidey suit
The score is mint
Andrew Garfield is Peter he is Spider-Man
Emma Stone is Gwen the perfect Gwen

Ok you can boo me now.
I won't boo you.

TASM2 somehow eclipsed Spider-man 3 as "everyone's least favorite Spider-man movie" but the folks in here saying "it's pure trash" "nothing good about it" are out of their element. At least where Spidey is concerned.

As a movie, yeah, there are a lot of issues here. The primary problem is that it feels like a movie obscured by pop-up ads for upcoming projects and movies. Sony's marketing stink is all over it and they really didn't care about damaging any semblance of a story in order to wedge in a marketing team meeting word doc of ideas into a single film. Teasing the sinister six, the Gentleman, speed-running through Harry's arc, the clumsily handled conspiracy about Peter's parents, the list goes on... it's not a good movie.

But it is a great Spider-man.

After rewatching the Raimi trilogy recently, I have to say that I genuinely prefer Garfield's snarky bratty Spider over Tobey's oafish, sadsack. He looks the part, he sounds the part and you're right- it's probably the best Spidey suit we've ever had on screen.

Another comparison point, Garfield and Stone have 10x better chemistry than Maguire and Dunst did and it's not even close. The relationship in Raimi's trilogy starts feeling gross from the jump and devolves into a toxic, manipulative mess before we ever get to appreciate it on any real level. I had remembered the kiss, the hype has hell "go get 'em tiger" from the ending of 2 but the majority of their relationship feels like a drunken chess match between an MRA-in the making and a manipulative person with commitment issues. Compare this to Garfield and Stone who are naturally smiling and laughing, naturally shift body posture and line read in a believably way every time their eyes meet (yes I know both of these couples were dating behind the scenes) and as a Spidey fan, Stone's "Oh, I'm in a trouble" felt like a punch in the face knowing what's coming. And that moment? It's earned. And it hits hard.

Look there are some weird problems even with the first movie, especially pushing Spidey a bit too far over the confident quippy line into the "this guy is kind of an asshole" territory. But for as sloppy as ASM2 is, it has the most pure Spider-man comic moment of any of these movies. Yes, even more than anything in Tom Holland's (who I realize has a lot of critics on this forum).

And that's the ending Rhino scene.
Everything about it.

25a334d414f331784b46e89d801f2f479e25f9a8.gifv

Spider-man's advice to the kid. Pulling himself up out of his depression. Him playfully taunting Rhino. It's perfect.
This cast deserved so much better.

No live-action Spider-man movie has been perfect but all of them have something to love, even this one.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I won't boo you.

TASM2 somehow eclipsed Spider-man 3 as "everyone's least favorite Spider-man movie" but the folks in here saying "it's pure trash" "nothing good about it" are out of their element. At least where Spidey is concerned.

As a movie, yeah, there are a lot of issues here. The primary problem is that it feels like a movie obscured by pop-up ads for upcoming projects and movies. Sony's marketing stink is all over it and they really didn't care about damaging any semblance of a story in order to wedge in a marketing team meeting word doc of ideas into a single film. Teasing the sinister six, the Gentleman, speed-running through Harry's arc, the clumsily handled conspiracy about Peter's parents, the list goes on... it's not a good movie.

But it is a great Spider-man.

After rewatching the Raimi trilogy recently, I have to say that I genuinely prefer Garfield's snarky bratty Spider over Tobey's oafish, sadsack. He looks the part, he sounds the part and you're right- it's probably the best Spidey suit we've ever had on screen.

Another comparison point, Garfield and Stone have 10x better chemistry than Maguire and Dunst did and it's not even close. The relationship in Raimi's trilogy starts feeling gross from the jump and devolves into a toxic, manipulative mess before we ever get to appreciate it on any real level. I had remembered the kiss, the hype has hell "go get 'em tiger" from the ending of 2 but the majority of their relationship feels like a drunken chess match between an MRA-in the making and a manipulative person with commitment issues. Compare this to Garfield and Stone who are naturally smiling and laughing, naturally shift body posture and line read in a believably way every time their eyes meet (yes I know both of these couples were dating behind the scenes) and as a Spidey fan, Stone's "Oh, I'm in a trouble" felt like a punch in the face knowing what's coming. And that moment? It's earned. And it hits hard.

Look there are some weird problems even with the first movie, especially pushing Spidey a bit too far over the confident quippy line into the "this guy is kind of an asshole" territory. But for as sloppy as ASM2 is, it has the most pure Spider-man comic moment of any of these movies. Yes, even more than anything in Tom Holland's (who I realize has a lot of critics on this forum).

And that's the ending Rhino scene.
Everything about it.

25a334d414f331784b46e89d801f2f479e25f9a8.gifv

Spider-man's advice to the kid. Pulling himself up out of his depression. Him playfully taunting Rhino. It's perfect.
This cast deserved so much better.

No live-action Spider-man movie has been perfect but all of them have something to love, even this one.
preach

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
What did you think of Amazing 1? Did your opinion of it change? I'd also be curious to read your thoughts on Amazing 2 after you're done with it.

My opinion of both movies improved on my rewatch. I wasn't expecting this for ASM2.

I still like 1. It felt incredibly long, unfortunately. On this rewatch I really didn't care for the score, I don't think the chorus music made the scenes as dramatic as it was hoping for.

BUT I still really enjoy his performance, Andrew and Emma had such amazing chemistry. I kinda wished it was just a romantic comedy with those two. The scene on the bridge with the kiddo was absolutely my favorite moment. Very Spider-Man.

I'm a little nervous about 2, I remember not liking it as much in theaters but I'm curious to see how I feel about it this time.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I think what honestly helps it is... most of the really bad stuff is sequel bait side stuff

Like look I love ASM 2 and I think Garfield not getting a serious run is criminal but all the bad that was mostly b plot here was about to go A plot... and no Emma Stone.

You're probably not wrong. A lot of what made TASM movies work was how good the relationship was between Peter and Gwen, so going on from there likely wouldn't have turned out so well. I was looking forward to the Sinister Six though. Maybe they really could've played off of Peter and his feelings about Harry after what happened with Gwen. That could've been compelling.

I think it's just after retrospecting Tobey and Garfield's, Holland's just seem so lifeless in comparison. There's few scenes with Aunt May, he feels entirely too dependent on Tony Stark, it doesn't feel, well, like Spider-Man. It feels gimmicky in comparison to Tobey and Garfield. It bothers me how much people write off the Garfield movies. They aren't perfect by any means, their problems are very present and very rough, but people act like they're downright worth skipping when you would miss out on a perfect portrayal of Peter's real first love and tragedy.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You're probably not wrong. A lot of what made TASM movies work was how good the relationship was between Peter and Gwen, so going on from there likely wouldn't have turned out so well. I was looking forward to the Sinister Six though. Maybe they really could've played off of Peter and his feelings about Harry after what happened with Gwen. That could've been compelling.

I think it's just after retrospecting Tobey and Garfield's, Holland's just seem so lifeless in comparison. There's few scenes with Aunt May, he feels entirely too dependent on Tony Stark, it doesn't feel, well, like Spider-Man. It feels gimmicky in comparison to Tobey and Garfield. It bothers me how much people write off the Garfield movies. They aren't perfect by any means, their problems are very present and very rough, but people act like they're downright worth skipping when you would miss out on a perfect portrayal of Peter's real first love and tragedy.

Swapping out Stone for Woodley ooof lool

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I absolutely hate the montage scene where they play that Phillip Phillips song as he's piecing together stuff about his parents. I hate it enough that it's all I think about when I think about this movie and just can't get over it, even though some stuff was cool and the Gwen stuff was heavy. It's just so jarring and random and out of place.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ughhhh Again with the revisionist history: ASM 2 sucks and it's not debatable

There's nothing sympathetic about Harry. Dane DeHann looks like a creep from the get go.
I mean Max.... the lovable idiot who looks like shit and a fool. Electro's look is awful. I just don't buy Foxx as the dork he plays. Foxx always wants to play a badass.
My enemy theme. I can't hear it anymore.
Peter's daddy issues. Need I say more.

Now for the part I love: It has the best web swinging in all three movie series: The Physicality, they used a lot of references to animate the web swinging better.
The suit is my favorite out of all three?

I think Garfield deserved better than what Marc Webb offered.

Wooden Robot

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing 1 and 2 are both great movies people shit on for no reason. I'd honestly rather rewatch them than any of the Raimis.