• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm tired of waiting for Microsoft to restart the BC program, so I found a relatively new Xbox 360 S for 90 bucks and picked it up. It was mainly to play the games that don't work/aren't BC on the Series X, but man, I forgot how slick this console was. The only old console I still have is my PS3 (and a Genesis Mini but it doesn't count), and the 360 is so fast compared to it.

Booting it up takes just a few seconds, the UI is snappy and zooms across the pages, games load fast, no waiting for disc installs. The updates were quick and reboot was almost instantaneous. I set it up and within five minutes was playing Tony Hawks Underground. Like damn. Plus a lot of 360 games are much better performing then there PS3 counterparts.

I also forgot how many games came out for this thing. There's so many still up in the store, and theres quite a lot that you can't play on the new Xboxes. I'm gonna pick up Chromehounds to start, then track down Alpha Protocol. Heard good things about that.

Last edited:

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've been trying to work on my PS3 backlog, with a few things non BC on 360 as well, and man it's just a completely different world. The 360 still feels modern with a few inconveniences, like having to either play a game or use the console, but I mean, the guide does perfectly well what it needs to.

With the PS3 I'm just CONSTANTLY waiting. Downloads are slow on both but everything takes an ETERNITY on ps3. I'm waiting for a ratchet and clank game to download right now and it's just 3.8GB and has taken me half an hour to get 50% of the way through. And that's just installing. It also had to download that data, which also took forever. Everything has to load. Opening up your account? Hitches for 5 extra seconds for no reason. Look at your trophies? Here let's just take a while to sync them. I understand older technology being slower, but it just hitches at EVERY turn and it's death by a thousand cuts.

And then yeah on top of that games genuinely performing worse. I didn't even expect it to be noticeable but it is. Batman Arkham Origins is only available physically on xbox 360 for some bizarre reason, so I got it digitally on PS3 since I couldn't get the PC version to be stable, and man it's night and day how much worse it runs. It's not imaculate on 360, but hey if I'm really concerned about that I can use an xbox one to clean it right up. In fact going back to it on xbox 360 changed my opinion of the multiplayer completely. Just because it performed better.

EDIT: oh my ggggooooOOOODDDDDDD it NOW has to download a fucking half gig update upon starting the game???

SONY

WHY

EDIT2: THERE'S MULTIPLE.

EDIT3: oh gosh lol now it has to install the update that it downloaded.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, one of the reasons I hate going back on the PS3 is every game patch is separate. So if there are 3 patches for a game, you need to download them all, whilst on 360 you just download the latest one. My favourite console of all time.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Having recently played MGSV, Forza Horizon 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Titanfall on 360, I'm still gobsmacked at how strong that generation (and the 360 in particular) was. The QoL stuff is still pretty up there, especially the universal system-level custom soundtrack.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Yeah, I've been trying to work on my PS3 backlog, with a few things non BC on 360 as well, and man it's just a completely different world. The 360 still feels modern with a few inconveniences, like having to either play a game or use the console, but I mean, the guide does perfectly well what it needs to.

With the PS3 I'm just CONSTANTLY waiting. Downloads are slow on both but everything takes an ETERNITY on ps3. I'm waiting for a ratchet and clank game to download right now and it's just 3.8GB and has taken me half an hour to get 50% of the way through. And that's just installing. It also had to download that data, which also took forever. Everything has to load. Opening up your account? Hitches for 5 extra seconds for no reason. Look at your trophies? Here let's just take a while to sync them.

And then yeah on top of that games genuinely performing worse. I didn't even expect it to be noticeable but it is. Batman Arkham Origins is only available physically on xbox 360 for some bizarre reason, so I got it digitally on PS3 since I couldn't get the PC version to be stable, and man it's night and day how much worse it runs. It's not imaculate on 360, but hey if I'm really concerned about that I can use an xbox one to clean it right up. In fact going back to it on xbox 360 changed my opinion of the multiplayer completely. Just because it performed better.

Games are subjective, but I will ALWAYS stan the Xbox 360 from a hardware/software perspective.

Such an insanely forward-thinking console for 2005. It evolved so much over its lifespan and still feels modern in 2021, whereas the PS3 released a year later and was never even able to get party chat working.

The PS3 felt like PS2 HD in comparison with features continually bolted onto it over time (multi-tiered patching, trophy syncing, the shittacular ingame XMB).

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
The Xbox 360 is my favorite console of all time - just an amazing system

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it was the last game console you had to own. It brought so many good improvements to online infrastructure and pretty much everything was released on it and it had the best version of ports not counting $2k PCs. Nowadays, all platforms feel pretty stable/no huge innovations so you can just buy whatever hardware you want (or that you can find lol).

Man the console warring back then was brutal though. After the PS2, no one thought MS and Nintendo would come back that hard.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Games are subjective, but I will ALWAYS stan the Xbox 360 from a hardware/software perspective.

Such an insanely forward-thinking console for 2005. It evolved so much over its lifespan and still feels modern in 2021, whereas the PS3 released a year later and was never even able to get party chat working.

lol that's so true. No one on playstation profiles will use ps3 chat. It's automatically discord every time I've been in a session.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
UI and system level stuff was definitely good. My personal experience of barely playing games when I only had a 360 negatively affects my perception of the console, but all that stuff was good.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Best console I ever owned. Amazing from beginning to end. Series consoles are promising though, may hit the same nerve for me if I get one.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
This thread kind of makes me want to pick up a 360 console. Is there any way to install an SSD drive into one? What model would be the best one to purchase?

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, Xbox 360 S is the best console ever imo and was way ahead of its` time.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
This thread kind of makes me want to pick up a 360 console. Is there any way to install an SSD drive into one? What model would be the best one to purchase?

you'd have to do the whole fuckery with getting the 360's system software onto a drive, which microsoft doesn't support, so it's kind of hacky. I don't think you can get banned for it, but from what I've heard it's a whole thing. I'm sure someone will show up and say it's actually pretty easy.

I don't know if it would be possible for it to run OG xbox games any more. Last I knew, only official drives can run OG xbox games.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
The 360 was a lot better than the PS3 in a lot of things. The PS3 being so slow and weird in many ways is why I don't bother buying or even downloading old stuff even with the PSN shutting down. The experience with it didn't age well enough for me. I just bought Castlevania HD for the 360 yesterday.

The 360 is my favorite and last Xbox but it was amazing. Still turn it on from time to time. It made a way better thought out system vs the PS3 since launch.

May 12, 2020
One of the best consoles ever made. The early years of Xbox 360 were magical. Also was the first console I paid for with my own money.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
you'd have to do the whole fuckery with getting the 360's system software onto a drive, which microsoft doesn't support, so it's kind of hacky. I don't think you can get banned for it, but from what I've heard it's a whole thing. I'm sure someone will show up and say it's actually pretty easy.

I don't know if it would be possible for it to run OG xbox games any more. Last I knew, only official drives can run OG xbox games.
That's a bummer on the OS side. I am running SSD in my PS3 (and used to in PS4).

OG Xbox isn't a huge deal as it was always fairly small number of games. I think most of those are now covered by XSX (Xbone as well of course) and a lot are available on PC of course.

Going to do some web searches to figure it out.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
It's seen as much use as my PS4 and Xbox One the last generation, but the UI on mine is SHOCKINGLY slow and sluggish. It's a late S model (250gb, I think).

Was there a huge GWG queue? I'm afraid to turn mine on.

All the time lol. I just cancel and make sure to delete any unfinished downloads from storage once in a while.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
i love the design of it too much,
is a great looking console standing vertical.
might be my favorite, followed by ps3slim.

didn't like the latest iteration that much tough
(one with the xbox one aesthetics)

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
It is a great console minus the RROD issues (still can't believe it happened to my 360 slim!). Still hooked up to this day and honestly, I prefer the 360 over any newer Xbox because of the library of games that only work on it.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I get tempted to hook mine up every once in a while. Some amazing racing gems there that seem like they won't be put on BC like PGR4, Most Wanted 2005, etc.

It was the first time I bought a non-Nintendo console to start the gen. Early 360 was incredible. Mine died cause the GPU and wasn't able to be covered under warranty - and I still bought a replacement.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Having recently played MGSV, Forza Horizon 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Titanfall on 360, I'm still gobsmacked at how strong that generation (and the 360 in particular) was. The QoL stuff is still pretty up there, especially the universal system-level custom soundtrack.

I obsess over last-gen versions of games like that. Especially with weird cases like Forza Horizon 2, where it's essentially a completely different game with the same title.

Crazy when you think about how Call of Duty 2 and Black Ops III (albeit a bad version) came out on the same console.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
My favorite console ever by a mile. Will never be beat. Still have one hooked up for NCAA 14/ College Hoops 2k8.

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020
I still have a 360 for Beatles:Rock Band and turned it on just a couple of weeks ago
The UI is great but oh wow is this thing noisy compared to the XBox One. Little whirry fans aren't so bad but the DVD drive woosh is almost unbearable. Being able to install to HDD is a godsend.

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
The UI on the 360 has got better lately. Mine was really sluggish in like 2013 at the peak of them cramming as many ads as possible into the UI but they've stripped a lot of that out in the intervening years as there's no reason to advertise on the 360, so using it lately has been a breeze. It's a great console. I'm playing the original Nier right now and having a blast, it loads fast and runs silent.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

With the PS3 I'm just CONSTANTLY waiting. Downloads are slow on both but everything takes an ETERNITY on ps3. I'm waiting for a ratchet and clank game to download right now and it's just 3.8GB and has taken me half an hour to get 50% of the way through. And that's just installing. It also had to download that data, which also took forever. Everything has to load. Opening up your account? Hitches for 5 extra seconds for no reason. Look at your trophies? Here let's just take a while to sync them. I understand older technology being slower, but it just hitches at EVERY turn and it's death by a thousand cuts.

EDIT: oh my ggggooooOOOODDDDDDD it NOW has to download a fucking half gig update upon starting the game???

SONY

WHY

EDIT2: THERE'S MULTIPLE.

EDIT3: oh gosh lol now it has to install the update that it downloaded.

So I always preferred the PS3 UI/dashboard in terms of layout and look but the 360 UI/dashboard was ALWAYS so much quicker and snappier with EVERYTHING. It's undeniable. So as much as a I hate navigating the 360 dashboard I can at least get around quickly.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I obsess over last-gen versions of games like that. Especially with weird cases like Forza Horizon 2, where it's essentially a completely different game with the same title.

Crazy when you think about how Call of Duty 2 and Black Ops III (albeit a bad version) came out on the same console.

I need to track down a reasonably-priced copy of Black Ops III to try out, I completely forgot that was a thing.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
The 360 was, RROD aside, a fantastic console. If Microsoft had stayed that course through the entire generation they'd be in such a wildly different position now.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
That's a bummer on the OS side. I am running SSD in my PS3 (and used to in PS4).

OG Xbox isn't a huge deal as it was always fairly small number of games. I think most of those are now covered by XSX (Xbone as well of course) and a lot are available on PC of course.

Going to do some web searches to figure it out.

I just plugged in a small portable SSD.
Even USB flash drives will work and they're still faster than the internal HDD.

You can install any games to them.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
They're almost entirely in Mexico, but yes!
That's awesome to hear. I jumped at the chance to get some regular games in when it arrived on Steam a while back, but most of my original playing back in 2014 was on the 360, before I got an Xbox One, so I might dig it out to take a look again.

You probably still be able to join some Gears Of War lobbies (a 2006 game)
That sounds a little less surprising considering that was a huge game synonymous with the 360 and is backwards compatible on the One and Series consoles. Still cool, though!

Oct 27, 2017
I love the 360 but I remember the home screen and library screens going really slow at the end of the system's life.

Still, gotta love those 4MB patches.

Edit: some people mentioning it got faster. Cool.

OP
OP
Rowsdower

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The UI on the 360 has got better lately. Mine was really sluggish in like 2013 at the peak of them cramming as many ads as possible into the UI but they've stripped a lot of that out in the intervening years as there's no reason to advertise on the 360, so using it lately has been a breeze. It's a great console. I'm playing the original Nier right now and having a blast, it loads fast and runs silent.

Yea, back in 2014 or so it was sluggish as hell. The ads were terrible. Now there's none left and it's great. Seems the UI issue had to do with the ads maybe?

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
My only complaint with my Series S is that it' not fully compatible with 360. And I understand it will never happen since it's not just for Microsoft to decide.

PS: Will never forget when they replaced NXE with the TV/Media/Ad shit Don Mattrick was pushing. Good thing those days are long gone. Fuck this dude, seriously. He should never be allowed to run companies again.

PS2:
Man those were the days...
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5ibG9nY2RuLmNvbS93d3cuam95c3RpcS5jb20vbWVkaWEvMjAwOS8wNC9wZXJmZWN0ZGFya3hibGE1ODBhLmpwZw==

Valanarro

Oct 27, 2017
God, having to go through the PS3 store to grab what remaining games I wanted off it before the shutdown reminded me part of why I loved the 360 so much in its heyday. Truly a revolutionary console, 360 S model is easily my favorite console of all time. Still miss those blades though.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The console I liked so much I had to buy five of them. Thanks, RRoD!

Also, it's the best way for me to play Rock Band ... fore some reason the audio latency is far more manageable with my 360 than my Xbox One ever was.