• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
I gotta say, it's an excellent game. I think the story is the best thing about it. It's thrilling, intense, suspenseful, mysterious. I love that you unravel the mystery of the machines and Zero Dawn as the game goes on. The story felt cohesive and focused. It kept me hooked. Aloy was a great protagonist with a good character arc of finding her place in the world. Her voice actor did a great job as well. I really enjoyed the gameplay as it's fast, fluid and smooth. It's also kinda complex with the ability to combine melee and ranged combat. The skill tree system is great and I always enjoy those in games. The music was fantastic. Mainly Aloy's theme. The graphics are really stunning. I love the setting of post apocalyptic world filled with psycho robots. The machines were interesting enemies. They're also fun to fight due to having multiple pieces that you can damage or shoot off. Knocking them over is fun as well.

Overall I'd say it's a pretty well made game and I would gladly replay it down the line. Though some of the boss fights were kinda irritating and they don't give you enough space in the inventory system. After that ending scene with Sylens, I need Horizon 2 ASAP.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Fuck
Ted Faro
The story did a damn giod job making you hate someone you never even meet. In my books that makes it good.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Agree with your comments on the story.

I think it's one of the best stories I've ever played in a game, especially with how it is delivered.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say, it's an excellent game. I think the story is the best thing about it. It's thrilling, intense, suspenseful, mysterious. I love that you unravel the mystery of the machines and Zero Dawn as the game goes on. The story felt cohesive and focused. It kept me hooked. Aloy was a great protagonist with a good character arc of finding her place in the world. Her voice actor did a great job as well. I really enjoyed the gameplay as it's fast, fluid and smooth. It's also kinda complex with the ability to combine melee and ranged combat. The skill tree system is great and I always enjoy those in games. The music was fantastic. Mainly Aloy's theme. The graphics are really stunning. I love the setting of post apocalyptic world filled with psycho robots. The machines were interesting enemies. They're also fun to fight due to having multiple pieces that you can damage or shoot off. Knocking them over is fun as well.

Overall I'd say it's a pretty well made game and I would gladly replay it down the line. Though some of the boss fights were kinda irritating and they don't give you enough space in the inventory system. After that ending scene with Sylens, I need Horizon 2 ASAP.
Play the expansion "The Frozen Wilds" asap. It's great!

Ted Faro THE GOAT!

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
I actually played through the whole game in just under 3 days for review and couldn't stop raving about it. Then Breath of the Wild came out and the conversation changed to "sure, it's okay. But it's no Breath of the Wild"

HZD is such a good game, especially you play the side missions. Obviously some people were upset with the cultural symbolism, and I respect that. But the bizarre plot just works too well and is actually folded into the world brilliantly. Good stuff. More robot animals please.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
I couldn't really get into the combat but I've always struggled with games that require a strong mastery of dual sticks for combat. And the story was both great and the right type of sci-fi schlock I can get behind.

It wasn't the greatest or anything, but I'm probably more excited for a sequel than I am for any other game coming out. I think it set up such an interesting world.

Too bad about those dialogue segments though. I really wish they'd patch them to get the sync correct.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
I loved Horizon, the sci-fi part was awesome and would think that some kind of prequel during doomsday could also be great. I was thinking the whole time during the game that they should make that.

This make me actually wonder. Is the DLC really good? Never actually played it. Is it also very story driven and does it also tells the story of the 'rise of the machines'? Or is something completely else? And how long does it take to finish it?

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was dope and was one of the the most fun games I've played these past 5 years. Out of the "open world, skill tree, exploring everywhere" type of games we've gotten since last generation this one was one of my favorites.

I can't wait for the sequel.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't played the DLC, but I really want to when I have time.

The Complete edition is $3.90 on CDkeys.com in case anyone is interested in buying.

Jan 15, 2018
They really brought their A-game for the story. I expected the game to be mostly gameplay driven but I was so happy to be surprised with a thoughtful, well written story with one of the best depicted villians of that year.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the story was surprisingly relevant and poignant, I assumed it would be stupid and the fact it wasn't was a pleasant surprise. Effective story about unchecked tech and boneheaded top-down decision making. The whole Faro "conspiracy" felt so real because like most real conspiracies, it started as something stupid and then became something sinister as more shoddy attempts were made to cover for all the fatal errors. Really solid game overall.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I loved Horizon, the sci-fi part was awesome and would think that some kind of prequel during doomsday could also be great. I was thinking the whole time during the game that they should make that.

This make me actually wonder. Is the DLC really good? Never actually played it. Is it also very story driven and does it also tells the story of the 'rise of the machines'? Or is something completely else
The DLC is awesome. It follows the same story threads as the base game but expands on them and tells the story of how the downfall of humanity impacted a single area.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
don't watch this if you haven't played any of the game yet:

www.youtube.com

Horizon Zero Dawn Combat Reel

I made a compilation of some of the exciting, stylish and fun things you can do with the awesome combat system in Horizon Zero Dawn. Hope you like it.

I didn't know that some of gameplay stuff was even possible with the trees.

Some of the combat scenarios have been the craziest I've ever witnessed in a video game. I was running for my dear life and tried recovering behind a rock only to have it blasted away LMAO.

I enjoyed watching the game systems interact when overriding a machine and watching it fight another machine in a huge battle.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Fuck
Ted Faro
The story did a damn giod job making you hate someone you never even meet. In my books that makes it good.

Right, they tell a very convincing story not only about that person but also about

I think his name was Travis Tate? He was the guy responsible for Hades and he basically went way over the top with it.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Played on PS4, loved it. Can't wait if it comes to PC. This game needs to be experienced at >30fps

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Best long range combat ever and a beautiful story from beginning to end. The ending made me tear up a bit.

The controls in the game are perfect too.

Last edited:

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019

This make me actually wonder. Is the DLC really good? Never actually played it. Is it also very story driven and does it also tells the story of the 'rise of the machines'? Or is something completely else? And how long does it take to finish it?

DLC is good and they improve on some of the weaker parts of the main game, but it doesn't really provide any new answers to the questions raised in the main storyline, it's is a closely related but parallel story

Oct 29, 2017
The combat never really clicked for me. I always felt like I was playing it wrong, or that I was somehow breaking the rules/cheating in order to win.

Regardless, I think its one of Sonys best exclusives this gen. It reminded me of Mass Effect 2 in terms of setup and gameplay mechanics. Really liked the cutscenes and the dialogue sequences.

SEATLiens

Aug 28, 2019
Seattle
Highly unlikely but I'm hoping my PS4 saves transfer to pc. Would definitely be more motivated to play the Frozen Wilds if it's on PC.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed every minute of the platinum, then played the DLC to 100%. It really gives the story a lot of nice details, also fun to play, super recommended.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Yup, it's fantastic. And like you said, I think the story is one of the best parts of the game. I never get it when I see people saying it's bad (well, I do. For whatever reason everything that it's not happening in the present doesn't count, because reasons).

It's crazy that Guerrilla went from the forgettable Killzone to this. Can't wait for the sequel.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's a really good game. Certainly not perfect, but a pretty fantastic first entry for a new series. I really can't wait to see what they do and how they can improve upon things in the next game.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Great game and the combat against the robo dinos is amazing.

But fighting against humans could have been better and I want deeper skill trees with more melee possibilities for the sequel.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I may give it another chance on PC but I found it a bit boring to explore, really, after 10-15 hours. I would just rush main story if there was a normal freaking fast travel system.

Voodoowoolf

Oct 31, 2017
reading these posts is making me want to start this right now. I've had the complete edition for awhile but haven't got round to it. But then I'm thinking what If I wait till ps5 and 60fps patch? fuck... probably will just play it now no point waiting.

Last edited:

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I may give it another chance on PC but I found it a bit boring to explore, really, after 10-15 hours. I would just rush main story if there was a normal freaking fast travel system.

There are campfires everywhere and you can make the unlimited fast travel pouch pretty easily. Not sure what you mean by saying it's abnormal.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I'm in the opposite boat. The didn't like the present day narrative of the game and found Aloy to be a disappointing character. Her arc pretty much ends after the proving grounds segment.

The moment to moment gameplay is pretty damn good but the quest structure is bog standard standard open-world checklistathon shit and I wasn't really feeling it, especially when the narratives for side quests weren't memorable. I literally don't remember a single one and I did them all.

I did like some of the game's takes on Ubisoft design like the their takes on towers.

I also really enjoyed the lore of the game a lot more than the actual story. Finding out how the world got fucked was way more fascinating.

And it's really fucking pretty. A technical marvel.

overall, it's an ok game

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't care for it myself. Hated all the vapid characters, the world-design was kinda shitty and hardly interactive and I didn't care a bit about the story. I liked the combat but that's about it.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably the story I've enjoyed the most in this type of game. I was invested pretty much every step of the way, which is rare for someone like me who usually skips cutscenes. :P

Helps that I absolutely adore the geography. I really need to visit those parts of the United States.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
The story, and the way everything unfolds and is revealed, felt like a great old school sci-fi book from the likes of Asmiov and Clarke. I loved this game and its DLC. Looking forward to the eventual sequel.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, the moment you find out what OPeration Zero Dawn actually is - the escalation of the machines, the choices the scientists and world govts had to make.

Fucking chills.

Most people won't know what the Faro plague is but its the closest thing to the grey goo video games have.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I really liked HZD, and the story twist was great. The only criticism I had, was that the game's visuals had this ghosting and "softness" to them that I found a little off-putting, I assume because of the checkerboarding on my PS4 Pro (this game was basically the reason I bought one). I also found the boss fights to be a bit of a chore, if I remember correctly.

But yeah, the explanation for where the robot animals came from, and Aloy's backstory etc., were all really neat twists at the end.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
One of the few open world games I can think of where I actually wanted to progress the main story, instead of doing it because I had to in order to open up more of the world or because I'd run out of side content.