• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Don't play the next two then, origins had the most focused narrative of the new 3. But I agree I will gladly take a shorter and more focused narrative than all the bloat were getting now. I prefer everything about the old style with the exception of maybe combat. The new combat isn't as "real" but it's more fun

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To its detriment, I'd say. No AC is slower than AC3 when it comes to finally getting to the actual game. Then you find out the game sucks and you wasted those early hours for nothing.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Don't worry, Valhalla has more story than all the past games put together lol

BTW Origins' minimalistic storytelling was really welcome at the time. It's not that it doesn't have /any/, it's that it's told in really short bursts. It fit the game perfectly.
Yup, they've given up on stories and it shows. Also they said they wouldn't focus on them as a company a while ago.

Not true after Valhalla.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
My least favourite of the series. Couldn't even tell you anything about the story in AC3 aside from the first guy you play is actually the baddie. After 2 & 4 Origins is probably my favourite, though it does flit between that and Syndicate.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Everything out of the animus has fucking sucked in this series since day 1 (and I say this as someone who has been playing since day 1). It is such a blessing that the more modern games limit this time. I think in Odyssey it was like 30 hours into the game before there was any time in the real world or something. Thank god.

(I have basically no recollection of AC3 itself though since that was so long ago)

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Origins is still my favorite in the series. There is certainly a lot of story in the beginning of AC3 but the 2 hours prologue is pretty boring. I'd argue that the story of AC3 is pretty stale over all. The one thing I really love about the game is that it has some of the best Animus corridor confessions. Still I love every AC game including 3 and I just got the Platinum for it this year :)

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the problem of AC3 story is that is trash and never develops naturally through the whole game, something that Origins and Odyssey do.
And older and some of the after games but still classic AC have also better told storeis than the trash fire that 3 is. Except maybe the story in 1 and the order of the story and historical events in Unity, becuase of the forced multiplayer that makes everything go to shit.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I really like AC3 and have replayed it like 3 or 4 times but I also say Mass Effect 1 and Far Cry 2 are the best in their respective series' so certainly in the minority I would assume.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
While I agree the story has felt less important in the more recent games, I prefer the new style of Assassin's Creed.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Fully agree op, the start of AC3 is truly great.

I liked AC 1 - 3 because they had way more plot, character and purpose. Since 3's big reveal I feel the games have structurally fallen apart and despite some good characters (Bayek and Kassandra) just feel like hollow experiences without the thread tieing them all together.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
AC3 was the last game I played and I get overwhelmed at times due to all that was in the gameplay to the point it was bloated

Focused on just the story and liked it...except the ship battle parts

misterb2001

Oct 28, 2017
Patrice Desilets' departure has massively hurt the franchise. Once ubi fully run out of his leftover concepts, we started getting awful overarching stories and ok historical plots.
This person nailed it. Patrice & Corey May were the glue that binded the series together. Now the games are soulless.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm going through AC Origins right now and the story seems very... sparse.

The game starts off explaining literally nothing, except you kill one of 5 dudes you're looking to kill. And like 5-8 hours later, you've killed all 5, so you're thinking what's next? They don't do a good job of revealing the full scope of the game and it leaves you feeling a bit aimless every time that scope widens. It's discouraging.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Origins sucked. It took me 3x longer to beat than AC3 but made a fraction of the impact. I remember Bayek's kid dies, there's a 40 hour haze and then they form the Assassins I guess. The word Medjay was used a lot without explaining what it meant. And Layla was insufferable.

AC3 has a great story with some questionable pacing, open world areas and gameplay design. It also wasn't particularly focused on being 'fun' like Ezio. But in terms of pacing issues, the most recent AC games have been dramatically worse.
Their kinda like sheriffs or cops, basically they uphold the law and give justice. I can 100% guarantee they explained what it meant and even if they didn't just use some critical thinking lol.

Deleted member 5260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it had a great story.

My favorite part was when I as the protagonist defeated the villain by uninstalling the game after uncovering Ubisoft's plot to pad the game out with a bunch of boring fetch quests, and lock the real quests behind level requirements in an effort to get you to spend actual money to get around the boring fetch quests.

I'll admit, they almost had me at the part where they tried to hide their plot by calling it an "RPG".

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, while all the gameplay systems are super tight and polished in Origins, the story is just...clearly unfinished. Probably the most obviously unfinished AAA game ive played. Everything feels like a bad first draft. Which is a bummer, bc that setting is so good

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I still consider AC3 one of my best AC experiences, although I'm still a big fan of the series.

It's like the story (in all 3 new AC games) is written for a much smaller game, like the old ones. It's spread too thin. Of course the main plot takes a backseat in the player's mind if you have to roam around a country for dozens of hours, clearing fort after fort, helping local lords and peasants alike. Also doesn't help that the story isn't even only spread out over the 50 - 80 hour main game, but continues straight into the DLC (at least Origins and Odyssey were guilty of this).

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I actually liked AC Origins story the most out of any Ubisoft game (or AC game) in recent memory, probably going back to AC2. It's not good (and the historical tourism is bad, but better than in Odyssey) but I like that it's a pretty thin story, the game is the quietest of the modern AC games which I appreciate. It would be even better if it had less story -- cut the animus stuff, ditch the cringe-y ending, etc.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
The only Assassin's Creed games I've played are 3, about 20 hours of Odyssey, and 50 hours of Valhalla. I know that 3 is generally considered to be the worst in the series, but man did I enjoy it. I loved it's revolutionary war setting and the story drew me in a lot more than Odyssey and Valhalla's did.
Yess, Connor is still one of my favorites. Such a badass story he has.

Still bummed they wont return to the older formulas (with improvements).

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
They're not. Script and cast size wise AC games are larger than ever. What's changed is the lack of linearity. There's very few, "walk alongside npc while you chat" or "follow npcs as they chat" missions. Full fledged cinematics are also spread out over longer periods of time because of the RPG dialogue system. Where before each mission would start and end with a full cinematic.
I finished Origins, Odyssey, and Unity in 2020, in that order. Because of the condensed nature of Unity, the story is upfront while Origins spreads it across the game more, as you said, its the lack of linearity that makes it seem that way. I do love Bayek's story and his purpose. I thought the ending was great also.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Hard disagree. Origins is actually my favorite story in the series. I think AC2 is the best....and although 3's Prologue was pretty cool, the rest of the game doesn't hold up.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I thought it was pretty obvious what Medjay were, and if you can't figure it out yourself Layla flat out compares them to sheriffs at one point. What really confused me was the intro, which explains next to nothing, to the point where I was certain my game had glitched or I had skipped a cutscene or two by mistake. Aya's role also seems bizarre. You get her for two or three nearly identical ship battles, the relevance of which is barely explained, and then you play as her during the end sequence for some reason?? It's like they planned a lot more for her, and it all got cut. You can also say that about a lot of the story in general.

I really like Connor in 3. He might not have Ezio's charm or Haytham's darker charisma, but he has a good heart and a warrior spirit, as well as interesting interpersonal relationships with his mentors and enemies. I think a lot of people love witty, charming rogueish types, whereas Connor is relatively straight-laced and subdued, which soured him on people looking for Ezio 2.0. I love his earnestness and drive and find his stoic but good hearted nature charming in its own much different way.

I just really wish they tried harder with the modern games. Some kind of vision would be nice. I have yet to play a few games (Syndicate, Valhalla, pretty much every DLC) but while they do make some sort of attempt to tell a story it really lacks a heart like the Desmond arc did. Switching protagonists is fine, but they seemed to have no idea what to do once Desmond's story was over and it really, really shows. Makes the series feel kinda soulless by comparison to what it used to be.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
OzbY.gif

How dare you compare Origins to AC3
yea the modern day story takes a nosedive after AC3 dou

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
Hard disagree. AC3 does have a lot of story, but most of it is bad. AC origins is probably the best story in the series and incredibly well paced
AC Origins is a 70 hour Game with a Story that would support maybe 12 hours of actual Gameplay. The rest is a huge ass chunk of filler.

And the Game starts with this Intro

This is so utterly uneven, randomly skips a year in one minute and you don't even know wtf is happening at the moment, and watchting it now, i get it, but there is no clever explanation thematically why the Game had to start this way, because there well isn't any.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there was a real vision for the series, beyond maybe it ending for good with 3. 3 was clearly a rushed ending to Desmond's story after the Ezio trilogy dragged the plot out unnecessarily with two expansion packs turned sequels that weren't officially numbered.

Origins and beyond is almost a soft reboot, even though it isn't at all, and for the better imo. It jettisons the albatross that became the overarching story from 3 until Origins. Black Flag and the others really floundered around with the present day stuff.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I loved the world and character work in Origins but seriously, what in the world happened to the story in Assassin's Creed games? Throughout the Desmond saga it clearly had a vision for its plot, now it feels like giant worlds and concepts with a rough draft for a story attached to 80 hours of runnings errands and raiding forts.

I could see they are at least sort of trying with the modern day stuff again, but it's still a pale shadow of what it was. The modern games are not much better or worse than the post Desmond games, but the bloated world design drags out already thin stories across hours and hours and hours of gameplay.

I was never a HUGE fan of the story in AC games. I like the stealth gameplay and historical tourism first and foremost and that is why o saw Origins through to the end, but I have to say I really miss there being more substance behind the gameplay.

Haytham's prologue in AC3 was better told than the entirety of Origins.
They need to drop the modern stuff altogether IMO

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I've played them all up to Origins, and honestly, AC3 is my favourite. I did come late to playing it mind, at least 2 years after it was released, so I don't know if there were bugs worked out by then. Story wise it is in my opnion the best, and I really, really love the setting.

Oct 27, 2017
The storytelling in Origins was terrible. Just a bunch of meandering until the end where you form the Assassins I guess. The central conflict felt lacking in drive.

LaoJim

Mar 29, 2020
Just finished playing 3. I'd agree with those calling it the worst (1 can be forgiven for being the first entry in the series and getting a lot right).

The story is a real mixed bag. The first thing that is really weird about it is how many introductions it has
- 1. Desmond rolls up at First One/Precursor/Forerunner (damn what are they called?) site and climbs around a bit.
2. Runs test simulation in the animus where you climb over some abstract blocks.
3. Do another climbing mission in an opera house with dad character.
4. Now dad character is travelling on a ship (but we're not getting the ship tutorial yet)
5. Now we're doing missions as dad for a while, but he can't do any of the tree parkour which is the bold new feature - we also get the subquest of Franklin's encyclopedia pages floating around which we won't get to for another 20 year.
6. Now Connor is finally born and we have to play hide and seek with our friends
7. Now something super tragic is happening to motivate our character.
8. Now we're finally getting to put on an assassin's uniform to 'start' the Assassin's Creed game.

Once you've done that the 'open world' structure is also really weird.
1. Boston is small and only has two areas to liberate after you've done the mandatory story liberation - You can collect pages, but these are not fun to chase as most you can pick up in the first second you see them.
2. You don't get to New York until way afterwards and it feel like the story is wrapping up (more on that later) and you (or at least I) have lost the urge to liberate all the zones.
3. You can go to the frontier to hunt but this is fairly boring.
4. You can do homestead missions which are super chill and don't match with the 'quick the world is ending if we don't find the artifact at the end of this quest'
5. You can go out and sail. Some of the sailing missions are actually set-piece action sequences for finding Captain Kidd's treasure which are the most exciting bits of the game but are actually hidden behind finding a whole bunch of generic collectables. The sailing itself is fine, but just feels like a Beta for Black Flag.
6. There's a recruiting assassin's menu-based game - just like in that game Brotherhood, where you were ya'know building a brotherhood, but then Connor seems to spend more of his time playing bowls with lumberjacks than building an actual brotherhood so it feels redundant.
7. Especially as there is also a 'send conveys' to trade goods menu-based game which you have to go back to the homestead to access.

Then it gets really confusing about what the game expects you to do first. I mainlined the missions for a while - since the first 4-5 sequences are the above prelude, I got into that habit. A few sequences later I realized that the reason I was having a hard time in combat was because I still hadn't looked through the shops for a better weapon yet. Found most of those needed to be unlocked from chests around the city, so I did that until I had a second tier weapon, but didn't have money to buy any more. Decided to give the story a break for a while to do some open-world content, but then game told me I'd unlocked that, so I gave it a go, only to get locked into a 'escape from prison' sequence. Having left prision, it then decided it was winter which made exploring the frontier much more difficult. Didn't do the Kidd missions until after I completed the story, so couldn't use the power-up to help with the actual game. Overall, feel like I did everything in the 'wrong order' but a good open-world game shouldn't have a 'wrong order'

There are some good points. I like how it is a bit more nuanced that Brits bad, George Washington good, and stressed the Native Americans and slaves were getting screwed either way. It definitely made a departure from the Ezio games where Constantinople felt a lot like Rome. The Haytham character worked well and I like the idea of doing multiple generations in the same game. The naval missions are mostly fun and something different. I actually liked the future missions as the idea of having the past and present in the same story actually makes it more interesting and this was probably the best done of the Desmond games.

Probably the thing I like most about the game is imagining the voice actor for Haytham down the pub with his mates the night before the audition.

Actor: Got a big role coming up tomorrow.
Mate: Oh really what it for.
Actor: British gentleman assassin. Problem is I'm just not sure how to approach this role.
Mate: Hmm tricks [sips beer]...You know, you don't do a half bad Roger Moore impression

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
This is so utterly uneven, randomly skips a year in one minute and you don't even know wtf is happening at the moment, and watchting it now, i get it, but there is no clever explanation thematically why the Game had to start this way, because there well isn't any.
How people get lost in this baffles me. Is this people's first approach to media res or...? It was clear as day what was going on.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
I've never once found the modern-day story interesting, so the further they get away from it the better. I dropped AC3 pretty quick because the game starts of with too much story and doesn't let you do anything interesting.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
How people get lost in this baffles me. Is this people's first approach to media res or...? It was clear as day what was going on.
In medias res normally is there to serve some sort of purpose, most often something like "How did the protagonist land in this crazy situation? Watch and find out!"
In the case of AC Origins this question gets answered like 1 hour later and it's inclusion doesn't enhance the narrative in no way shape or form. It's just there for no reason at all.
Also having a scene in which after 1 minute you get a black screen that says 1 year later is just sloppy. Why even have that scene prior to the time skip in the first place?

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
I like how the community is strongly divided on 3. I have played all games from the start all the way through Origins and 3 is my favorite one followed closely by Syndicate. At the time when I played 3, it was a real breath of fresh air as it marked a change of pace and mechanics after the Ezio saga. I enjoyed the setting immensely, I adored the naval part (it was one of the first game I played with 3D googles on my PS3 and it was a thing of beauty).

Since Origins the story took a really slow pacing, awful gameplay and boring progression.
I should probably give Origins a second chance after like 20 hours on it but I feel the same way. I felt the series lost its charm and got away too much from the Assassin's story that grabbed me in other games. I also feel that the map is too big which seems to be a concern in the latter games reading opinions on Odyssey and Valhalla.