• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019

The ending of let there be carnage see's Venom transported to the MCU and we all know it was just there to leave behind a black suit set up in No Way Home. However, I'm confused because Venom says there is a hivemind across universes and when he sees Peter on screen, he takes an interest and almost familiarity as he Venom ups the moment he hears the name : Peter Parker. So what is going on with this scene or implication?

Oct 27, 2017
Venom and Spider Man have met before through hive mind so he has to meet him for reasons this Venom might have. Wether sinister or not remains to be seen.

I think he will go get the bit of symbiote back after it bonds with Peter and get the spider logo that way.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Strange's spell only worked on people who knew that Peter was Spiderman so they had to make a dumb excuse for it

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The symbiote has memories from Spider-Man 3, and an interest in Peter Parker because of that.

It's half of the setup for a MCU symbiote storyline.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
What could possibly happen is that the MCU has their own Eddie Brock and with Peter new status quo, they cross paths. We could have a full blown Eddie Brock's Venom in the MCU played by Tom Hardy himself and an "anti-hero" version from the Sony universe. I don't like the Sony stuff, but that could work.

Still disappointed that best Venom likely won't be the MCU's Venom. :(
I trust Marvel Studios to actually deliver with the Symbiote saga. Brock could potentially face his MCU counterpart if Marvel Studios does it right, I always preferred Brock as a villain anyway.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
It's like multiversal symbiotes with ancestral memories that spread to every symbiont just like how there's a multiversal, uh, Spider God that grants all the Spider-People their powers? I forget. What was that again? I gotta watch Into the Spider-Verse again, that was a fucking cool movie.

Slayven! 📢

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
With the introduction of the multiverse, shit doesn't need to make sense for them to just... do whatever they want.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It's like multiversal symbiotes with ancestral memories that spread to every symbiont just like how there's a multiversal, uh, Spider God that grants all the Spider-People their powers? I forget. What was that again? I gotta watch Into the Spider-Verse again, that was a fucking cool movie.

Slayven! 📢
It was never a thing until this movie.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They can make up some BS about Venom going back to the MCU to get his piece of symbiote back after doing the black suit story in the next Spidey film.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What could possibly happen is that the MCU has their own Eddie Brock and with Peter new status quo, they cross paths. We could have a full blown Eddie Brock's Venom in the MCU played by Tom Hardy himself and an "anti-hero" version from the Sony universe. I don't like the Sony stuff, but that could work.

I doubt we'll get an MCU Native Eddie Brock while the Tom Hardy movies are a thing. We're definitely getting a black suit Spider-Man storyline. And maybe more multiverse stuff so they can do Venom vs. Spider-Man.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Doesn't really matter now that he's been yeeted back to the Sony trashfireverse.

I guess though the part of the hive-mind he accessed at that moment was the Rami stuff, which meant he knew Peter and was brought over due to the spell. Though his reaction to Peter makes no sense as he would look entirely different to the memories he would have of that Peter. Either way, "You killed an evil alt version of me" is a bad reason for a non-evil version of him to pick a fight with Spider-Man, though I guess it can't be worse than "I guess me being in this universe is due to Spider-Man" and "I literally have no reason" in the case of Vulture and Morbius.

I can't wait for the "I want to hunt Spider-Man, despite that clearly not being in keeping with my semi-heroic arc in this movie" after credits scene in Kraven to complete the arc of fucking nonsense.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
I doubt we'll get an MCU Native Eddie Brock while the Tom Hardy movies are a thing. We're definitely getting a black suit Spider-Man storyline. And maybe more multiverse stuff so they can do Venom vs. Spider-Man.
Tom Hardy can always play both 'evil' MCU Eddie and his regular 'superhero' self.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't really matter now that he's been yeeted back to the Sony trashfireverse.

I guess though the part of the hive-mind he accessed at that moment was the Rami stuff, which meant he knew Peter and was brought over due to the spell. Though his reaction to Peter makes no sense as he would look entirely different to the memories he would have of that Peter. Either way, "You killed an evil alt version of me" is a bad reason for a non-evil version of him to pick a fight with Spider-Man, though I guess it can't be worse than "I guess me being in this universe is due to Spider-Man" and "I literally have no reason" in the case of Vulture and Morbius.

I can't wait for the "I want to hunt Spider-Man, despite that clearly not being in keeping with my semi-heroic arc in this movie" after credits scene in Kraven to complete the arc of fucking nonsense.

Eddie Brock's motivations were dumb in the comics too.

"I got fired because I was bad at journalism and blamed Spider-Man for it."

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
It's Sony... who even knows what they're planning
In all probability, they're not planning anything. They just know that these things in proximity to each other create intrigue among fans, which if the internet buzz gets noisy enough they can bring to their investors as proof of interest. They'll figure out a story for bringing them all together once they sell the movie pitch.

It's literally just dangling shiny keys in front of comic fans in hopes they'll grasp for them.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The comics itself have acknowledged it was a ridiculous reason though and it was always consistent with Eddie's tendency to not take responsibilty for his actions.

Eddie didn't exist before he appeared as Venom. So all of these traits were retroactively applied so he wasn't just a complete asshole.

(Adaptations try to bring in Eddie before he becomes Venom.)

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
It's more likely that Holland-Man gets pulled into the Sonyverse to fight Venom or something. "Venom vs. Spider-Man" sounds like a big deal.
Imho, Venom coming back to the MCU to help Peter defeat his evil counterpart has more appeal and it's less obvious than what we had so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
The Venom symbiote as explained in the movie is part of a multiversal hivemind consciousness. It recognizes Spider-Man because of the Venom symbiote in Spider-Man 3.

Oct 25, 2017
Still disappointed that best Venom likely won't be the MCU's Venom. :(
I quite like Hardy's Venom (even if i dont like the second movie) so that was a disappointment for me as well
Especially considering they had his character say all his goodbyes at the end of venom2 and wrapped up any threads as if he was to never return
weird to do that for no purpose but then again, it's Sony, look at what they did with vulture. probably was a setup for him to never return and then kevin shot them down.
(but maybe brock's universe hopping isnt done yet. morbius is apparently a world with a spiderman and vulture is there too, maybe brock landed there instead of his home universe when he got kicked out of the MCU.)

I'd like if we could see Hardy as the MCU variant of Brock, perhaps a less benevolent version of the man.
It would be fun to see Hardy play the character two opposing ways (the version we've already seen, and a more wicked version). At least at first. Then after MCU Eddie suffers his fall from grace, he could start arcing toward a more Sony-like Eddie, having been knocked down a peg and learning some lessons after turmoil involving Spider-man.
So the end result is like, at the core they're still similar guys, but the MCU version became a hotshot asshole and went down a bad path for a time, while the sony version did not prosper from his unethical behavior and immediately learned his lesson. No Annie to keep him humble perhaps, the Sony version did some dishonest stuff too early on that he got called out on. Maybe MCU Eddie didn't suffer repercussions from dishonesty like that, and only ramped it up more to great benefit. Until peter/spider-man finally causes repercussions and shit comes crashing down for mcu eddie, in the long term effectively landing him in similar circumstances to sony eddie.

Although right now I'd sooner assume that the MCU will do the black suit storyline alone and then just never follow it up with brock (but I'd like to be wrong)