• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
This is:

1200x630.jpg

Trailer.

Holy shit.

I'm a big fan of Ronald D. Moore because of Battlestar Galactica (GOAT Sci-Fi show btw) but I wasn't a big fan of Caprica. And seeing some impressions about this show I thought it might follow the same path of ignoring sci-fi and not having good everything else (and I was mostly in this for the former). Yet I found this series handled the balance just pefectly. One because I find the dramatic parts to range from good to great. I can't say it will be reason alone for someone to watch the show, but I simply wanted to not dislike it, and I ended positively liking it. Especially some scenes with cetain characters.

But also because, although with less screen time, the space/technical related stuff is beyond incredible. The sfx brings happy tears to my eyes and they were really smart with some situations. The attention to detail about space, gravity, etc is very impressive. I loved it all. In particular the final episode which was Adama maneuver GOAT tier. It was pinnacle hard sci-fi.

To finish, this is the post credit scene for the last episode. It has some light spoilers obviously (nothing major, nothing that will distract you from the series), but if you want to see if you should give this show a chance and the trailer is not enough, I can't think of anything better. If you love space, this has to put a huge grin in your face. It just has to:

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For all mankind is my favourite AppleTV+ offering, followed very closely by Mythic Quest.

More people need to watch this. The intro sequence alone is phenomenal.

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
Wait this show is actually good? It seemed like it came out with barely any fanfare but now I might have to actually start it.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I got to episode 2 and stopped. I should probably keep going. I keep forgetting about Apple TV+ because they like to shove it in with everything else.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of it before. But it's on Apple TV so I guess that's the reason why.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I heard the show is a very slow burn...how many episodes does it take before it gets really good?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
is it available for streaming anywhere else? Anywhere at all...?

It's an Apple original, so no. but you don't have to have an Apple device to watch it. tv.apple.com, also some smart TVs have it I think.

agreed that the show is great, though I thought the last episode lost a bit of momentum. Still interested in seeing where it goes next season

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's an Apple original, so no. but you don't have to have an Apple device to watch it. tv.apple.com, also some smart TVs have it I think.

agreed that the show is great, though I thought the last episode lost a bit of momentum. Still interested in seeing where it goes next season
oh. ok good to know. Ill check it out then.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I loved for all mankind. And I love the expanse. Can't compare them because they're so different and I need more of for all mankind.

Great acting and just overall vibe on for all mankind. I'm so curious to see how far Ron Moore will take it.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Bah. Title had me excited for a show to replace The Expanse with, how I miss that damn show, but it's Apple TV+.

Jan 15, 2018
The first season was alright. I can definitely see it getting better as it goes on. I like the Expanse more, but that could just be because its setting is immediately more visually alluring and it's also had four seasons to come into its own.

I love how much sci-fi television we're getting now.

ilikesanta

Oct 26, 2017
Holy crap I just realized I never finished the newest season of The Expanse. I got bored in the middle, and I thought the OP was having a similar experience.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
big problem is I actually have the year of free Apple TV+ but I don't have an Apple TV or a television that supports the app. So basically no way to watch on my television as apple locks out chromecast. between launching with no back catalogue and decisions like this, it just doesnt seem like a viable service.

also heavily skeptical it's better than the expanse but totally willing to give it a try, Apple just doesn't want me to.

Bah. Title had me excited for a show to replace The Expanse with, how I miss that damn show

but... season 4 just came out?

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
It's really, really good. I couldn't stop watching it....

but the Expanse is still god-tier sci-fi.

To finish, this is the post credit scene for the last episode. It has some light spoilers obviously (nothing major, nothing that will distract you from the series), but if you want to see if you should give this show a chance and the trailer is not enough, I can't think of anything better. If you love space, this has to put a huge grin in your face. It just has to:

Which was actually supposed to be a real thing.

The Sea Dragon was a 1962 conceptualized design study for a two-stage sea-launched orbital super heavy-lift launch vehicle. The project was led by Robert Truax while working at Aerojet, one of a number of designs he created that were to be launched by floating the rocket in the ocean. Although there was some interest at both NASA and Todd Shipyards, the project was not implemented. At the massive dimensions of 150 m (490 ft) long and 23 m (75 ft) in diameter, Sea Dragon would have been the largest rocket ever built. As of 2018, among rockets that have been fully conceived, it is by far the largest ever and, in terms of payload into low Earth orbit (LEO), rivaled only by the Interplanetary Transport System in its expendable configuration.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

Part of me would like for them to get closer ]to the present day or at least modern rocketry. You know, SpaceX stuff, reusable rockets, etc.. The challenge is what to do with the USSR.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
Knowing where the story goes, there's zero chance this is better than the Expanse. However, really nice production design and cast, I might check this out for that alone. Gotta say, the story from that trailer looks like total fluff.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit Ron Moore is back in space? Ugh I might have to actually subscribe to Apple now.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely adored For All Mankind. Hard to compare to The Expanse because they hit different notes and the Expanse is obviously longer.

Still, it's a must watch show in my opinion.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It's really, really good. I couldn't stop watching it....

but the Expanse is still god-tier sci-fi.

Which was actually supposed to be a real thing.

The Sea Dragon was a 1962 conceptualized design study for a two-stage sea-launched orbital super heavy-lift launch vehicle. The project was led by Robert Truax while working at Aerojet, one of a number of designs he created that were to be launched by floating the rocket in the ocean. Although there was some interest at both NASA and Todd Shipyards, the project was not implemented. At the massive dimensions of 150 m (490 ft) long and 23 m (75 ft) in diameter, Sea Dragon would have been the largest rocket ever built. As of 2018, among rockets that have been fully conceived, it is by far the largest ever and, in terms of payload into low Earth orbit (LEO), rivaled only by the Interplanetary Transport System in its expendable configuration.

Yeah, I think the scene is particularly powerful if you knew about it. It's a love letter in a way. Wrote by people that love space and sci-fi and all that.

Knowing where the story goes, there's zero chance this is better than the Expanse. However, really nice production design and cast, I might check this out for that alone. Gotta say, the story from that trailer looks like total fluff.

What you mean by that? I thought the story only got better.

I've never heard of this show and still know you're wrong. 😂

Being technical, I only said it was best than the 4th season of The Expanse. And in that I am correct. If we compare with the other seasons, it gets very tough to decide.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
extremely hyperbolic title, show is good but nowhere near the level of expanse. Maybe after a few seasons but I have real doubts

now yeah, maybe season 4 of expanse vs season 1 of For All Mankind but it seems unfair to compare things that way, especially given how stellar seasons 1 & 2 of The Expanse were

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
To all people saying it's very different to The Expanse, I should say you are correct, but they do have a similar vein when it comes to real physics and being faithful to it. There were scenes that reminded me of the Amazon's show because of that.

Indeed, we can compare the scene in space from the last episode of both shows (or the episode before the last in The Expanse season 4) that might be very different in context and on surface, but have the same underline source of drama, using physics to create an exciting scenario and trying to faifhfully recreate it on screen, both visually and mathematically. And the scene from For All Mankind was way, way more successful.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
I still have no idea how to get Apple TV or tbh even what it is. But recently I saw they made a show about Emily Dickinson and I absolutely must watch that. This seems interesting too. Hmm time to google I guess. What's one more subscription?

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
extremely hyperbolic title, show is good but nowhere near the level of expanse. Maybe after a few seasons but I have real doubts

now yeah, maybe season 4 of expanse vs season 1 of For All Mankind but it seems unfair to compare things that way, especially given how stellar seasons 1 & 2 of The Expanse were

It's not hyperbolic, certainly not extremely. Possibly overly enthusiastic, but I've seen a lot of "The Expanse is the best TV show you're not watching" articles out there so it's only fair.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The show has a HBO like quality to it. Technically it's closer to two Amazon Prime shows, Man in the High Castle and Hunters, both of which explore alternate histories.

I have yet to watch the final episode (ep 10 I believe). To those who have watched it... will there be another season?

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The show has a HBO like quality to it. Technically it's closer to two Amazon Prime shows, Man in the High Castle and Hunters, both of which explore alternate histories.

I have yet to watch the final episode (ep 10 I believe). To those who have watched it... will there be another season?

Yes, I believe Apple renewed all its original shows for a second season.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Title got me all excited, watched trailer, this is nothing like Expanse and not something I'd even be interested in watching.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait this show is actually good? It seemed like it came out with barely any fanfare but now I might have to actually start it.
Considering almost no one uses TV+ who is going to talk about it? We had a thread not too long ago that only like 10% of people who have it free for a year even use it.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Considering almost no one uses TV+ who is going to talk about it? We had a thread not too long ago that only like 10% of people who have it free for a year even use it.

I got it free and had no plan on watching anything. Then I watched Morning Show, For All Mankind and Mythic Quest. Three really good shows.

Jan 29, 2018
I binged it during the 7 day free trial and really enjoyed. It doesn't beat The Expanse for me personally, but I'm excited for the second season.