• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should I play the rest of MGSV?

• Yes

Votes: 194 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 78 19.9%
  • 100% it

Votes: 58 14.8%
  • Play The Quiet Man Instead

Votes: 62 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I even was aware of it at the time, I knew that the rest of the game is different. I'm sure I would've enjoyed parts of it as the gameplay itself looks great, I really liked Ground Zeroes. Part of me regrets not having played more. I just couldn't stomach the thought of "experiencing" even one more pretentious, overdirected cutscene. The thought of more of THAT made me feel so bad that I couldn't continue.

Playing the intro, I felt like the creator was screaming at me "LOOK AT ALL THIS CRAZY STUFF! I'M A GENIUS, THERE YOU HAVE MORE! FIRE! A WHALE! THE SAME SEQUENCE THREE TIMES! I'M AN ARTIST!". It wants to be cinematic and artsy but fails miserably.

Also, crawling and stumbling.
So.
Much.
Slow.
Crawling.
And.
Stumbling.
This made me laugh, in a good way. And let's me know you must realize I wasn't going after you but the games own misrepresentation of what it was.

Good times.

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
It took me about 10 hours of play to realize it wasn't the game for me.

Mechanically the game is absolutely solid, no doubt, it just didn't hook me. Setting may have played a part in that because it all looked so samey, and didn't help that you revisit the same locations multiple times.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
This made me laugh, in a good way. And let's me know you must realize I wasn't going after you but the games own misrepresentation of what it was.

Good times.

I didn't think you were going after me, sorry if it came across that way. Honestly, I think I'm still salty because I paid 40 bucks and know in my heart that I would actually like the game. But there is a part of me that can't ignore or accept all the stupid and pretentious bullshit that surrounds the gameplay. That intro triggered the "NOPE" button in my brain like no other game ever did.

Glad that you enjoyed it though. It's my loss, I guess.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What the flying fuck was that
Was that a fire whale
Did Kiefer Sutherland get double pay for voicing two characters for ten seconds
Was the massive headache I got from the lack of caffeine or my brain trying to process this whole sequence and failing
Cool story shit like that doesnt happen again so enjoy your gameplay loop. The intro was some of metal gears best.

Banned

Nov 10, 2017
Welcome to a hideo kojima game lol, but seriously I recommend playing the rest because the gameplay is great, in my opinion anyway

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I know that it is a bit too colonialist but having this huge sandbox picking on soldiers while blasting 80s pop music on speakers was an unforgettable experience. The dissonance is extreme but I'm going to admit my guilty pleasure. Mechanically it's the best MGS has ever been after 2.

Only open world I thoroughly enjoyed with Shadow of thhe Colossus and BOTW. The freedom to approach missions is a revolution for the franchise for me

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
The opening is the single worst opening (gameplay wise) I have ever had the displeasure of getting through.
No game, no matter the context of the story/lore, should make you move that slow for that long. I liked the hospital setting, I liked the suspense, but why am I a literal snail?!

The game is still one of my favourites of all time because of what came after that opening (despite the lack of a satisfying conclusion). Don't stop after only playing the worst bit. Play through chapter one at least. You can stop playing after that (though I didn't want to, purely because of the gameplay).

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They shouldve let you skip it on future playthroughs. Ruins the replayability a lot. Especially later in the game. It shouldve been edited down. I also dont care much for the Kojima wankery of weird and sexy with a vomit of wikipedia.

The rest of the game is a stealth masterpiece.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
The opening sets the mood in a way no other Metal Gear does, and actually got me to grab a copy of Moby Dick for the book shelf (didn't have to read it in school, so I ended up skipping it.)

The rest of the game is great and you will likely get a lot out of it, but Ground Zeroes does certain things better, specifically pacing. A much smaller world and play time means more opportunities to experiment and see results without giant gaps in play time.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Lol. I hated it when I first played it, but I've learned to appreciate it considering how different the actual gameplay is in MGSV.
I'm the functional opposite of this. Played almost 200 hours of it and defended it every time someone criticised it.

Was helping my manager at work one day 2 years later and I look him in the eyes unprompted and say "no, actually MGSV was utter rubbish."

Oct 30, 2017
I remember YongYea talking about the prologue, how it was unbelieveable. Mindblowing etc etc. As a lover of the MGS series, this was music to my ears.

I didnt like it, and detested it on my replay of the game. It drags and drags and drags. That crawling at the start is so banal I honestly felt like turning the game off on my 2nd run and leaving it for another time.

YOU CANT EVEN SKIP IT!.

OP, if you're a casual fan of the series, you thoroughly enjoy the gameplay, but the "story" is trash. A shitstain on what was supposed to close up so many plotlines, and introduced a super duper shit new plotline that nobody wanted and ruined the MGS narrative.

Oct 27, 2017
I found the opening of Phantom Pain tedious to be honest. The gameplay in the rest of the game is great though even if the narrative setup is suboptimal.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The game is max level 2014 era Ubisoft checklist filler, with a huge streak of pretentious prick sprinkled throughout.

Hard pass. It's one of the biggest disappointments in the last four years.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's one of the strangest games I've ever played. So much about it is trash but the gameplay is so good I still enjoyed most of my time with it.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As flawed as this game is I would still recommend people experiance it, it just feels so good to play. And yea it still has a lot of cool moments to be seen.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Ground Zeroes: GREAT
Hospital sequence: too much was shown in trailers but still very good
Rescuing Miller: GREAT
Everything after that: Padded out nonsense with glacial story progression and little of the OTT MGS wackiness that was promised in the first 2-3 hours

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
It's the worst part of the game. The rest of the game gets better, though don't expect a whole lot in the way of story payoff. And then they make you play it again almost entirely unchanged at the end. Like thanks, I really needed to waste another hour of my life.

I think my least favorite part isn't the wackadoodle stuff like the fire whale, but the moments where the gunmen are shooting other patients quickly and without pause, only to hesitate, slow down, or totally ignore big boss despite the shit job he does of playing dead or blending in. Kills any tension.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
I voted No only because games should be played until they're no longer enjoyable, even if that means you don't finish the game.

I loved the gameplay in MGSV but I didn't finish it. I played it until it stopped being fun and then I put it down. Fuck completionism.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The opening isn't really representative of the game.

The rest of the game is pretty much the best Far Cry-style open world game ever made, IMO. Aside from dips into Metal Gear Solid craziness it has a meandering story of chemical warfare and nuclear weapons development that mostly exists in the background.

In terms of core mechanics there are few games that are as solid. Everything is responsive and everything is intuitive. I think it's a lot of fun to play, and the gameplay exists mostly separate from the story that just circles the drain for 20 hours.

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
This thread reminded me of how much it pains me that I loathe the controls to Ground Zeroes (Didn't play Phantom Pain). I just wanted to like the game so badly because it looked batshit crazy. I've watched the old E3 trailer with that song by Garbage probably 50 times.

Anyone have a good lets play of either or both they can point me towards?

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
How about I do the first mission but I SHOOT Miller instead

BRONSON NO
YOU'VE CREATED A TIME PARADOX

FerranMG

Oct 29, 2017
Just started playing the game yesterday, and I kinda have a similar question.
I have little time to play lately, but I've been meaning to try this game for a while.
I knew the prologue would be longer than I'd have wanted: too many cutscenes, not lots of gameplay.
But.
At which point should I decide if the game is for me or not? When will I have seen enough of the game to be able to take this decision without missing anything relevant?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have little time to play lately, but I've been meaning to try this game for a while.
I knew the prologue would be longer than I'd have wanted: too many cutscenes, not lots of gameplay.
But.
At which point should I decide if the game is for me or not? When will I have seen enough of the game to be able to take this decision without missing anything relevant?

Do the first couple of missions, if you like how it plays, then carry on.

The story doesn't have enough meat on it and it even recycles missions later on with varying difficulties but if you really enjoy the gameplay then it's worth it for that alone.

Nov 14, 2017
But.
I remember the prologue had me locked in, but if it didn't for you, play 2/3 more hours and see if the gameplay loop is for you.

It's mostly gameplay after the prologue.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you care about story this game has a ton of off screen lore, but you can experience it while playing missions. If you care about varied gameplay, PLAY IT. It has some of the most varied gameplay of all time, however it does not force you to switch up your playstyle so if you need a game to force you to try different tactics then you could get bored

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
But.

The first main mission in the open world is honestly aa good example of the main gameplay loop. If you don't like it, the rest of the game is just that, but with more tools to play with.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Nothing about the intro matters. It's simultaneously the best and worst part of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Just started playing the game yesterday, and I kinda have a similar question. [...]
IIRC it was around mission 5 when I really started to really feel the game and love it. Without spoiling too much, it's a mission where you sneak inside of a cave and some crazy stuff happens. I would say play to that point and see if the game is good for you.

The prologue I would say isn't really indicative of the rest of the game at all. I liked the prologue, but if you didn't, then try not to let it sour your experience.