• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should I play the rest of MGSV?

• Yes

Votes: 194 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 78 19.9%
  • 100% it

Votes: 58 14.8%
  • Play The Quiet Man Instead

Votes: 62 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Not gonna lie I completely forgot about the Moby Dick Studios thing

That ..kinda explains the fire whale?

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
...who do I believe?!
Seeing as you're not an MGS fan in the first place the game's shortcomings won't mean anything to you.

Don't skip the GOAT stealth/TPS/sandbox game over some silly cutscenes.

Don't skip a game where you can drive around in a rollerblading robot, can airlift tanks with balloons, have a dog with an eyepatch that defeats enemies with an electric knife it holds in its mouth, where you can show up to battle on a solid gold helicopter while blasting Take On Me to mow down everyone in sight with a mini gun.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What the flying fuck was that
Was that a fire whale
Did Kiefer Sutherland get double pay for voicing two characters for ten seconds
Was the massive headache I got from the lack of caffeine or my brain trying to process this whole sequence and failing
Kojima making the craziest linear roller coaster imaginable before turning into an open world game.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
PoliteDevotedGrebe-size_restricted.gif

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I enjoyed ground zeroes, the prologue, chapter 1 and what little there was to chapter 2. Superb game.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
The opening is kinda memorable. Unfortunately it's all downhill from there.

I always enjoyed the linear progression and classic story telling of the old MGS games. Starting with MGS V is also confusing and not represantative of the quality or perception of the franchise, due to V being a huge departure from all previous MGS concepts. The same goes for story telling which reminds me of Dark Souls gone completely wrong. The gameplay and visuals are fantastic though, it's just all other areas which are lackluster in my opinion.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The intro was the worst part for me honestly. MGS5 is great if you treat it as a more focused on game play MGS.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Yeah MGS V was a monkey paw game of the gen.
''Here's the best TPS controls/stealth mechanics you've experienced in years''
''And here's a completely non existent story to go with it''

Still a great game overall though.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember being hyped as fuck when that "fake" game was revelead, because that shit looked glorious. Then it turned out it was Metal Gear all along, and that prologue was like nothing like the game, with the rest being "play stealth in the desert". That isn't necessarily horrible, but I would have played a 10 hours campaign based on what we saw in that reveal: the fire whale, the telekinesis, the helplessness, etc..

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well, he can himself Ishmael, from moby dick, and little mantis projects everyone in rage mode... so it comes from there.
I was going to say it's a actually easy to explain (fun fact, little mantis always has some sort of clue in his appearance as to who he is tuned into) but then realized actually typing it all out might prove MGS to be more convulted than Kingdom Hearts and thought better of it.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I was actually pumped for the game. But the intro killed all my desire to continue. Bad pacing, so sloooow, repetitive, badly directed, boring. Such a slog with horrible "gameplay" and abysmal direction. And you can feel that the maker(s) think that it's great art. After completing the intro I directly deleted the game despite paying like 40 bucks for it. I just couldn't handle the idea of playing more of that shit show.

And I played and finished all the MGS games before it.... except MGS4, which I abandoned after around 70% because it was too much stupid stuff and the game was soooo full of itself. Guess that should've be a warning sign for MGSV but I ignored it.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I felt like I have already seen that entire intro in the pre release trailers

Also... it wasnt very good.

Jan 4, 2018
I loved Ground Zeroes, I was hyped (and the ending cutscene with 'Here's to you' was a masterpiece).
I HATED MGS V. I lost 50 hours. Never again.

Empty and useless open world, Skull Face is a joke, story is boring, chapter 2 is a COMPLETE disaster, and the disturbing feeling that main missions are actually bland side missions.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Dont worry you about to play the greatest game this gen with a ton of freedom and variability. And one of the only games this gen that used the open world for gameplay instead of virtual tourism

MaximusPayne

Dec 14, 2017
Play it if you have time and are a fan. If not, there are too many other games to sink time into now.

On that note, did the X1X ever get a patch for this game?

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was actually pumped for the game. But the intro killed all my desire to continue. Bad pacing, so sloooow, repetitive, badly directed, boring. Such a slog with horrible "gameplay" and abysmal direction. And you can feel that the maker(s) think that it's great art. After completing the intro I directly deleted the game despite paying like 40 bucks for it. I just couldn't handle the idea of playing more of that shit show.

And I played and finished all the MGS games before it.... except MGS4, which I abandoned after around 70% because it was too much stupid stuff and the game was soooo full of itself. Guess that should've be a warning sign for MGSV but I ignored it.
Funny because for better or worse (lots of series fans hated it, others including myself loved it, but it's pretty divisive) the intro is nothing like the rest of the game and is not representive of the game at all, so whether you would have loved it or hated, you really didn't play it.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Gameplay is great, but the story is horrible, actively ruins other mgs games, is horribly paced, and incredibly sexist at points. Don't expect anything as interesting as the prologue

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
It's a weird game. It has an incredible intro, sublime gameplay, but its clearly missing massive chunks of story and is pieced together--but at the same time polished as hell.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
oh my god these modded videos

And yeah, still might be the best TPS gameplay this gen so far. Worth playing it and completing it for that alone.

Story isn't as bad as some say. Better than 90% of games

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
The real ending of the game explains the beginning pretty well. It was a mindfuck to me who never played a MGS game before. Just wish it wasn't so full of filler

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Funny because for better or worse (lots of series fans hated it, others including myself loved it, but it's pretty divisive) the intro is nothing like the rest of the game and is not representive of the game at all, so whether you would have loved it or hated, you really didn't play it.

I even was aware of it at the time, I knew that the rest of the game is different. I'm sure I would've enjoyed parts of it as the gameplay itself looks great, I really liked Ground Zeroes. Part of me regrets not having played more. I just couldn't stomach the thought of "experiencing" even one more pretentious, overdirected cutscene. The thought of more of THAT made me feel so bad that I couldn't continue.

Playing the intro, I felt like the creator was screaming at me "LOOK AT ALL THIS CRAZY STUFF! I'M A GENIUS, THERE YOU HAVE MORE! FIRE! A WHALE! THE SAME SEQUENCE THREE TIMES! I'M AN ARTIST!". It wants to be cinematic and artsy but fails miserably.

Also, crawling and stumbling.
So.
Much.
Slow.
Crawling.
And.
Stumbling.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
oh my god these modded videos

And yeah, still might be the best TPS gameplay this gen so far. Worth playing it and completing it for that alone.

Story isn't as bad as some say. Better than 90% of games
well actually mgs V writing and story telling is so unique and distinct that you wont really find that kind of quality in actually good games

coldzone24

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland, OH
The lack of dialouge from Snake was so weird to me. Like there were multiple times in the game where I wanted to yell at him for not saying anything. Either make him mute or have him talk as much as a commander in his situation would talk (which would be a lot).

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
...who do I believe?!
Well, it's one of the most acclaimed games of the generation, and it has that status for a reason.

A lot of people have an intense hate for this game because it was marketed to be this incredibly cinematic and story driven adventure. However, the final game isn't really that. It's still got its cinematics and crazy Kojima story, but it's not delivered like previous MGS games.

I also suffered from whiplash after expecting one game after watching all the trailers and getting something quite different in the actual game. However, Kojima has always been like this with his marketing material. He's always fucking with people and their expectations. I look at the game for what it is instead of trying to think of what it was supposed to be like the trailers suggested.