• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should I play the rest of MGSV?

• Yes

Votes: 194 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 78 19.9%
  • 100% it

Votes: 58 14.8%
  • Play The Quiet Man Instead

Votes: 62 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I also went in blind because Metal Gear games besides Rising never really grabbed me, but I took a flier on it cause it was cheap

But I definitely wasn't expecting this mad shit - not gonna lie if this is the kind of batshit madness Kojima rolls with now then I'm kinda digging it
This is going to be an interesting thread.

Oct 25, 2017
I will defend chapter 1 of MGSV to the grave. It's after that that the game shit the bed. I still love it. I also disagree that it doesn't tell a full story, but it is sparse. Gotta listen to all those damn tapes to get it.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Don't worry, if you want more story stuff:

They give you a couple hour dump of cassette tape conversations when you beat the game to try to connect everything in the series together!

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Congrats on beating the best part of the game! Best quit now, because it only goes downhill from here.
For real, i don't particularly like the Open World stealth concept, the basic gameplay is excellent. But having it completely stretched onto a massive open world just wasn't fun for me. I also hate Mother Base, and had no interest in micromanaging it.

Ground Zeroes is easily the better game TBH, they should have just stuck with it's concept of having chunky individual levels with items unlocked by completing objectives in them.

TheTyrant

Nov 27, 2018
I went into the series blind with MGS4. I freaking wish I had a thread to live dump my impressions back then, shit was wild

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, to be fair,

MGSV's ending is straight up unfinished, by the admission of the dev team.

I think it's tied up well enough. The deleted chapter explains one thread, but it's not really that important in the grand scheme if things.

Well, not that the entire game is really that important to the mythos. It's just sort of there to explain something that never needed explaining. *cough*

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I replayed the intro again recently...talk about one of the biggest whiplash moments in gaming, going from some really well thought out cinematic gameplay to the game proper, which while really well done, doesn't come close to capturing the intro's atmosphere or tone. Kojima is really good with character and unique enemy/boss introductions, showcasing a bit of their powers, the mystique behind their backstory etc. Other MGS games managed to convey this well throughout, and while I didn't want the runaway auteur moments of MGS4 repeated, it would have been nice to have seen a lot more of those moments than what we got in V. It's like I had to do a double take at the box that this was indeed a Kojima game with the extreme lack of cutscenes. Well, Death Stranding certainly looks to correct that!

That said the initial reveal of the intro along with the whole fake dev studio and the bandaged dev shenanigans with the awkward Kojima bandage unraveling moment was one of the more memorable ad stunts from last gen that's for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly hope you enjoy the gameplay, because the story is never coming back for the rest of the game. In terms of narrative it goes downhill from there.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay is literally the only reason to play and you only ever hear Kiefer on audio tapes. The story is pretty disappointing.

The gameplay is so good.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
Awesome intro, you can't ask for something more jaw dropping than that at the time and you wouldn't expect anything less from Kojima.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
There are plot threads that I'm interested in that will never be addressed outside the chance someone at Konami is allowed to make another Metal Gear title that addresses events of the main timeline and isn't some whack-ass survival game set in a pocket dimension.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Wish the whole game was like this.

MGSV somehow failed to deliver what it promsied by instead delivering some of the best open world stealth gameplay in its place, if not the best stealth gameplay ever period. It's like yes, this is cool, but it's not what I ordered off the menu. And I was waiting literal years for it to get here.

Ground Zeroes was awesome, though.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
The fire whale was never really explained

Gave up on the game around 20 hours doing LOTS of side missions in the first map and once I learned how little story was left once I pushed away from doing those and getting back on track...well my motivation died.

I keep meaning to go back and pick up where I left off, but four years later, it never happened. And I'm someone that has finished damn near every prior game multiple times, even Euro Extreme on MGS2 and 3!

Honestly, the few hours I played to get the plat in Ground Zeroes was wayyyyy better than the 20 I put into MGSV. :(

SpiritSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
Gave up on the game around 20 hours doing LOTS of side missions in the first map and once I learned how little story was left once I pushed away from doing those and getting back on track...well my motivation died.

I keep meaning to go back and pick up where I left off, but four years later, it never happened. And I'm someone that has finished damn near every prior game multiple times, even Euro Extreme on MGS2 and 3!

Honestly, the few hours I played to get the plat in Ground Zeroes was wayyyyy better than the 20 I put into MGSV. :(

I finished the game without even realizing I finished it. The way the last mission was gave absolutely no indication that it was over. I played for a few more hours looking for the next story mission but never found it ...

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
congratulations, you've played the coolest thing in MGSV that the game will never try to really replicate in terms of surreal claustrophobic style ever again*

until it makes you play it all over again at the very end

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't play games longer than 10 hours unless I am 100% hooked my God nonono
Just play the first open world mission.

The next thousand missions that comprise the game's "story" are all pretty much the same. You can quit playing at that point, unless you're a fan of the sophomoric plot for some reason.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The opening is easily the worst part of the game. I was gearing up for another feeling of disappointment similar to MGS4 after that start.

Thankfully, the rest of the game is nothing like that.

Except when you have to do it AGAIN at the end. Fuck that noise.